• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

Wow didn't realize there is a new thread :)

Still think Procamera should be added. Been using it for years and the recent update adds light box.

Btw anyone try out kitcam? How is it?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Good job being on Facebook in the first place! Total waste of time and you would be a happier person with all that free time doing something else.
Good job on your reply! I really appreciated it. Especially the sarcasm bit. Was a nice touch. I prefer Twitter, but most of my non-GAF friends (read: The people I actually know in person) don't understand how it works (nor want to be arsed into learning how it works) so I have to use it.

But it's totally okay if you don't use FaceBook.

Fusebox

Banned
Good job being on Facebook in the first place! Total waste of time and you would be a happier person with all that free time doing something else.

Good job replying to him in the first place! Total waste of time and you would be a happier person with all that free time doing something else.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
weird, never heard of pocket casts until today, seems like a pretty old app. Currently used downcast and used to use instacast before it got fuuucked in 2.0 (how is 3.0?).

what does it do better/worst than the competition?

ecurbj

Good job being on NeoGAF in the first place! Total waste of time and you would be a happier person with all that free time doing something else

Good job responding to that pointless post in the first place! Total waste of time and you would be a happier person with all that free time doing something else.

Fuck. Didn't know they took down old instacast and put up a new app. Ended up buying 3 by accident.

sleazy shit yo.

Damn, after the V2 shenanigans of it releasing totally broken, then the additions of the "pro" feature upgrade cost stuff this is ridiculous.

Instacast 2 came out 7th of May. With separate iPhone/ipad versions and the unlockable upgrade. Now he expects his userbase to pay out again so soon?

Actually has the gall to say on his site

"Switching from Instacast 2 to 3.0 is like buying a brand new car."

Yep, does the same job as your old car but costs you a great deal more money for potentially the exact same experience.

Podcasts.app may be janky, but I'm not throwing my money at this dude.

RBH

mtasubwaytime.jpg

subwaytime.jpg

subwaytime.jpg

New York's Metropolitan Transportation Authority just released a new app, MTA Subway Time, which provides accurate real-time information on subway arrivals for six of the numbered lines, including No. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, plus the 42nd Street shuttle, covering 156 different stations in the city. Subway Time will allow commuters to plan trips down to the minute.

The app works with the countdown clocks that are linked to centralized computers, which have been installed in just seven of the city's 24 lines.

According to The Wall Street Journal, the system's age and the cost of upgrading has prevented it from being easily updated, though real-time coverage will roll out to other lines in the future. The first update will come in six to 12 months, when the L line is added.

New York Transit officials are hoping to inspire app developers to create third party apps as well, and a free live stream of arrival time data will be given to app developers.
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/29...s-ios-app-with-real-time-subway-arrival-info/

Damn, after the V2 shenanigans of it releasing totally broken, then the additions of the "pro" feature upgrade cost stuff this is ridiculous.

Instacast 2 came out 7th of May. With separate iPhone/ipad versions and the unlockable upgrade. Now he expects his userbase to pay out again so soon?

Actually has the gall to say on his site

"Switching from Instacast 2 to 3.0 is like buying a brand new car."

Yep, does the same job as your old car but costs you a great deal more money for potentially the exact same experience.

Podcasts.app may be janky, but I'm not throwing my money at this dude.
Also it's like someone stole your old car from your garage :(

Picked up pocket casts, seems nicely designed and ain't missing any notable features i used.

Gaaraz

Just wanted to say a huge thanks to Quick for taking over this thread and doing a massively better job than I ever did! I'm ashamed to say I jumped over to the dark side (Android) and got a Galaxy S3, but I'm hoping to be back soon :)

I really neglected the other thread once I dropped my iPhone but this new thread is great, love the OP!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone else find themselves forced to force quit screens periodically because it won't connect?

Quick

Banned
Just wanted to say a huge thanks to Quick for taking over this thread and doing a massively better job than I ever did! I'm ashamed to say I jumped over to the dark side (Android) and got a Galaxy S3, but I'm hoping to be back soon :)

I really neglected the other thread once I dropped my iPhone but this new thread is great, love the OP!

Thanks Gaaraz.

I occasionally think about jumping ship to Android, but nothing concrete ever comes of it.

AngryMoth

I'm going crazy here trying to figure out how to upload a whole album with the Facebook app as opposed just individual photos, can anyone help me out?

Saw an update for the Facebook app so I download it. Now it won't open. Delete and download multiple times and still won't open. I'm new to the iPad the last few months. Does this sort of stuff happen frequently?

TUSR

Banned
Saw an update for the Facebook app so I download it. Now it won't open. Delete and download multiple times and still won't open. I'm new to the iPad the last few months. Does this sort of stuff happen frequently?

No.

Turn off and turn back on and give it a shot once you uninstall it.

Scrum

Just thought that I should drop by and say that ArtRage for iphone is free for a while (think its during CES) and the ipad version is cheap (2.99 dollars)

Cant link to the itunesstore since I´m at work but here is the homepage for the program:
Artrage

SeanR1221

I'm looking for a reader app that will sync across iPhone, iPad and the Mac. What's my best bet?

I figured Pulse, but it's not updating on my iPad with feeds I added on my iPhone :/

I'm looking for a reader app that will sync across iPhone, iPad and the Mac. What's my best bet?

I figured Pulse, but it's not updating on my iPad with feeds I added on my iPhone :/

I use reeder for mac, ipad & iPhone. Syncs via google reader so no trouble there. Not universal though, so you're buying 3 versions.

bob page

Alien Blue for iPad is such a quality app- completely changes the Reddit experience for the better. I rarely used the site but with this app, it's now one of my most visited.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Alien Blue for iPad is such a quality app- completely changes the Reddit experience for the better. I rarely used the site but with this app, it's now one of my most visited.

There is a great app for Android too.

It is crazy how much better browsing reddit on iPad/phones is than the browser experience.

VoxPop

I use feedly. Very simple and aesthetically pleasing. Never really liked pulse.

SeanR1221

I use feedly. Very simple and aesthetically pleasing. Never really liked pulse.

I wish I saw this before dropping 13.00 on the three Reeder apps. The iPhone one crashes and wont let you add feeds, the iPad one is too simple looking and doesn't even have the option to add feeds, and the Mac one is ok...

What do you use when you're on a laptop/desktop?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I wish I saw this before dropping 13.00 on the three Reeder apps. The iPhone one crashes and wont let you add feeds, the iPad one is too simple looking and doesn't even have the option to add feeds, and the Mac one is ok...

What do you use when you're on a laptop/desktop?
I have the iPhone app and it lets me add feeds by clicking the + button on the top of the main section (I just sync it with Google Reader though), what do you mean by it not letting you? It never crashes for me (iPhone 4).

SeanR1221

I have the iPhone app and it lets me add feeds by clicking the + button on the top of the main section (I just sync it with Google Reader though), what do you mean by it not letting you? It never crashes for me (iPhone 4).

It goes into an endless loading loop. This is on the iPhone 5.

Heel

Wanted to give a mention to Xfinity TV Player for anyone using Comcast.

It lets you watch movies and TV shows on demand like Crackle, etc. You can even download some titles to watch offline. Selection isn't half bad either depending on your package.

iTunes reviews are horrible, but I've had no problems on the iPad 3.

So I'll post here since my thread the other day got no responses (rant about Twitter apps):

So I just got an iPhone 5 this past week (not having had a smartphone before, though I did have a second gen iPod touch which I didn't connect to WiFi much since it would cause the battery to go to absolute shit.)

Anyway...

The official Twitter app is alright, but the list/group support is crappy. You can't make new lists from the app, and as far as I know, you can't toggle to just view a list's timeline easily, if at all, like you can with Tweetbot. The other thing is that with the push notifications, you can't change the sound when receiving a tweet. It's either stuck as tri-tone or tied to whatever you use as your voicemail tone, either way an idiotic oversight (not sure if Apple or the Twitter developers here are to blame). I just want to change the goddamn noise (likely to the Twitter noise) when I receive a tweet from one of the people I have set to send me push notifications (Settings -> Notifications -> Tweets.) Is that so much to ask?

The other client I've tried (bought today actually, since I was dissatisfied with the official app) is Twitterbot. Now as I already mentioned, this has really nice support for lists/groups, but has poor notification support. However, you can't set notifications for tweets from specific people like you can in the official app - kind of a glaring omission. Like the official app, it also lacks the ability to change the tone for notifications.

I've looked at other apps, and none seem to have the feature set I'm looking for. Slices is pricey at $4.99, and according to the reviews, doesn't even have push notifications at all. Same goes for Twitterific. Everything else I've seen seems woefully underkept, with the latest updates being in 2011 (clearly won't support my iPhone 5).

So if anyone could enlighten me to something I'm missing in the apps I do have (official app, Twitterbot) or point me to a client that solves my issues, I'm all ears. If not, I suppose I'll just have to bug the developers of each to fix their shit in their next update.

Chairman85

So I'll post here since my thread the other day got no responses (rant about Twitter apps):

So I just got an iPhone 5 this past week (not having had a smartphone before, though I did have a second gen iPod touch which I didn't connect to WiFi much since it would cause the battery to go to absolute shit.)

Anyway...

The official Twitter app is alright, but the list/group support is crappy. You can't make new lists from the app, and as far as I know, you can't toggle to just view a list's timeline easily, if at all, like you can with Tweetbot. The other thing is that with the push notifications, you can't change the sound when receiving a tweet. It's either stuck as tri-tone or tied to whatever you use as your voicemail tone, either way an idiotic oversight (not sure if Apple or the Twitter developers here are to blame). I just want to change the goddamn noise (likely to the Twitter noise) when I receive a tweet from one of the people I have set to send me push notifications (Settings -> Notifications -> Tweets.) Is that so much to ask?

The other client I've tried (bought today actually, since I was dissatisfied with the official app) is Twitterbot. Now as I already mentioned, this has really nice support for lists/groups, but has poor notification support. However, you can't set notifications for tweets from specific people like you can in the official app - kind of a glaring omission. Like the official app, it also lacks the ability to change the tone for notifications.

I've looked at other apps, and none seem to have the feature set I'm looking for. Slices is pricey at $4.99, and according to the reviews, doesn't even have push notifications at all. Same goes for Twitterific. Everything else I've seen seems woefully underkept, with the latest updates being in 2011 (clearly won't support my iPhone 5).

So if anyone could enlighten me to something I'm missing in the apps I do have (official app, Twitterbot) or point me to a client that solves my issues, I'm all ears. If not, I suppose I'll just have to bug the developers of each to fix their shit in their next update.
Twitter has been slowly changing the terms and endpoints of their API. It's likely the notification per user has been removed from 3rd party applications.

Top Bottom