• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2014: This reads like paid advertising, narrated by Tom Hiddleston

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoolyNinja

Glue Knight
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/glue-knight/id911377155

Just released yesterday, this is an excellent auto-running platformer. Totally free, fast paced, challenging, a hefty amount of levels, inventive level design since you can stick to walls and ceilings.

Would be better with checkpoints I think. Some of the levels are pretty hard and you end up redoing huge minute long sections just to get to the tough part again and die.

Ferny

Started playing TT Vegas. Added a couple people so far, will add some more later tonight. My code is 4LTF if anyone wants to add me :)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm disappointed that Tiny Tower Vegas doesn't use Game Center because the friend list system is a bit wack. Here's what I gathered so far:

The good: when you visit someone else's tower, if you play at their poker/slots/etc floors they get chips (or only one chip regardless of how many they spend? So far I only got one from each visit so I'm not entirely sure).

The bad: friend codes. If someone adds you they aren't added to your friends list automatically and you don't get any sort of notification. You only get to know they did it if they play at one of your floors and spend chips. Even then, you only get a gift box that gives you the chip and tells you code **** played in your tower. So there's no way to know who they are unless you know their code and/or already had them added on your list from before. In that case, the nickname you gave them shows up in the gift box. When you add someone you have to give them a nickname yourself.

This could be improved if people could at least set their own nicknames, or if when someone added you they appeared on your list.

I know, it's a side thing within the game but it's pretty clumsy so far and it's a shame since TT used Game Center for this and it was ideal (plus, achievements!).

--

Anyway, I'm not sure we'd get enough traffic for a separate thread since there's not a lot to discuss about the game itself, but I compiled a list of the friend codes posted so far in the thread. I added everyone from the list below and I'll be playing at each tower. Feel free to add me back!

29H1 - Fuu
2QWN - Stormwatch
29SM - CecilMcW00t
287G - FerranMG
29NX - okno
459W - wetflame
2HRB - Anilones
2NN5 - Baron_Calamity
84P4 - Abandond
2FJ0 - Flunkie
3LVX - Katana_Strikes
3LTN - Oynox Slider
4LTF - Ferny

PittaGAF

Alternating playing Nightmare Cooperative and Motorsport Manager.
After a 'cycle' I take my turns in Star realms, Lost Cities and Carcassonne.

I won't ever sleep again.

I'm disappointed that Tiny Tower Vegas doesn't use Game Center because the friend list system is a bit wack. Here's what I gathered so far:

The good: when you visit someone else's tower, if you play at their poker/slots/etc floors they get chips (or only one chip regardless of how many they spend? So far I only got one from each visit so I'm not entirely sure).

The bad: friend codes. If someone adds you they aren't added to your friends list automatically and you don't get any sort of notification. You only get to know they did it if they play at one of your floors and spend chips. Even then, you only get a gift box that gives you the chip and tells you code **** played in your tower. So there's no way to know who they are unless you know their code and/or already had them added on your list from before. In that case, the nickname you gave them shows up in the gift box. When you add someone you have to give them a nickname yourself.

This could be improved if people could at least set their own nicknames, or if when someone added you they appeared on your list.

I know, it's a side thing within the game but it's pretty clumsy so far and it's a shame since TT used Game Center for this and it was ideal (plus, achievements!).

--

Anyway, I'm not sure we'd get enough traffic for a separate thread since there's not a lot to discuss about the game itself, but I compiled a list of the friend codes posted so far in the thread. I added everyone from the list below and I'll be playing at each tower. Feel free to add me back!

29H1 - Fuu
2QWN - Stormwatch
29SM - CecilMcW00t
287G - FerranMG
29NX - okno
459W - wetflame
2HRB - Anilones
2NN5 - Baron_Calamity
84P4 - Abandond
2FJ0 - Flunkie
3LVX - Katana_Strikes
3LTN - Oynox Slider
4LTF - Ferny

Great compilation. Added everyone. Floors getting expensive now so more grinding needed. Trying to fill dream jobs to extend stock levels so they last longer and less babysitting.

PittaGAF

OMG.

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition announced.

The Official web page mentions iPad AND iPhone too, with co op multiplayer.

I've played IWD1 and 2 in coop with a friend of mine back in the days (with online mic) and it was the closest experience to real D&D I ever had on a PC.
Also...while combat heavy, I always preferred the IWD setting to the Baldur's Gate one.

Be excited.

EDIT: Official site up

SO MANY MEMORIES.

screen03.png

screen06.png

screen07.png

colinp

Banned
OMG.

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition announced.

The Official web page mentions iPad AND iPhone too, with co op multiplayer.

I've played IWD1 and 2 in coop with a friend of mine back in the days (with online mic) and it was the closest experience to real D&D I ever had on a PC.
Also...while combat heavy, I always preferred the IWD setting to the Baldur's Gate one.

Be excited.

EDIT: Official site up

SO MANY MEMORIES.

Wow, awesome. Yeah, I always really liked the setting of IWD, too.

I remember I bought it when I was visiting my sister during summer break and had to wait a month or two to play it till I was back home. Hah, good memories. Psyched its in beta, hope it comes out soon.

Check out Shapist
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shapist/id816551293

Recently went Universal, plus the dev added new levels. First 17 levels are free, $2.99 game unlock

Now Shapist might look like just another sliding block puzzle game, and it is, but what makes it unique are the various mechanics. Springs, magnets, rotating blocks, etc. all add new dimensions to the common gameplay. The game has a nice minimal presentation and it's hard. No hints, no IAP to unlock later levels, no ways to skip levels, no handholding. If you're stuck, you're stuck until you figure out the answer.

#NEOGAF club in Tiny Tower is failing so hard :(

Maybe not many have joined though.

I really hate the notification sound on it though. It's like something breaking. And when it plays in the middle of the night...

It's cool that you can visit other friends' Towers.

I'm 3LVX

Once the game changes tomorrow, I want to join #NEOGAF! It seems to be advantageous to have a small club though. If your club is in the top 100, only the top 30 members receive the good prizes. If our numbers start growing we could splinter NEOGAF off into mini clubs with 30 members each (NEOGAF1, NEOGAF2, etc.).

--

29H1 - Fuu
2QWN - Stormwatch
29SM - CecilMcW00t
287G - FerranMG
29NX - okno
459W - wetflame
2HRB - Anilones
2NN5 - Baron_Calamity
84P4 - Abandond
2FJ0 - Flunkie
3LVX - Katana_Strikes
3LTN - Oynox Slider
4LTF - Ferny

Excellent idea!

PittaGAF

Just completed The Nightmare Cooperative with a score of 61 (my record is 62 tough).

It was AMAZING.

HIGHLY recommended if you like the genre.

Haden

Banned
Alternating playing Nightmare Cooperative and Motorsport Manager.
After a 'cycle' I take my turns in Star realms, Lost Cities and Carcassonne.

I won't ever sleep again.

How are you doing on Motorsport Manager? I am on 2nd tier up was thinking about replacing my drivers but they just scored a 1-2 in their last race!

PittaGAF

How are you doing on Motorsport Manager? I am on 2nd tier up was thinking about replacing my drivers but they just scored a 1-2 in their last race!

My first driver is a monster while I fired the second one for a rookie to win the constructors championships.

First race: 1 and 3.

I'm pleased :)

Oynox

29H1 - Fuu
2QWN - Stormwatch
29SM - CecilMcW00t
287G - FerranMG
29NX - okno
459W - wetflame
2HRB - Anilones
2NN5 - Baron_Calamity
84P4 - Abandond
2FJ0 - Flunkie
3LVX - Katana_Strikes
3LTN - Oynox Slider
4LTF - Ferny

Great list! But there are still players in the #NEOGAF club who are not on the list. One of them added me already.

Has got anyone except me the Pyramid Poker? And does anyone has a good strategy for the poker?

Great list! But there are still players in the #NEOGAF club who are not on the list. One of them added me already.

Has got anyone except me the Pyramid Poker? And does anyone has a good strategy for the poker?

I don't have names for:
76ZL
5LOW
HL8F

So whoever you guys are, show yourselves :p

Fuu

To be honest I don't know what's the deal with the Players Club. I've been in the NEOGAF group since day one and I still don't appear on the list. It's been "update pending" ever since too.

I don't have names for:
76ZL
5LOW
HL8F

So whoever you guys are, show yourselves :p
3TND too! Maybe it would be a good a idea to have a thread for friend codes, hmm.

I definitely think we should have a friend code thread. I want to name all of you guys.

And regarding poker, it would take a while to list the strategies. But there are hand analyzes which can help you memorize the optimal holds.

http://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/hand-analyzer/

There is also an iOS app by a developer named Robert Suh called "VideoPoker" which has a built in hand analyzer.

Oynox

To be honest I don't know what's the deal with the Players Club. I've been in the NEOGAF group since day one and I still don't appear on the list. It's been "update pending" ever since too.
/QUOTE]

That's strange.. but I also did not receive any reward for the last challenge yet :(

Fuu

I searched to see if there was discussion regarding TTV's Players Club on TA etc, and there's actually a FAQ on Nimblebit's site:

Players Club FAQ
Last Updated: Aug 13, 2014 08:58PM PDT

I want to participate in the Players Club but don't have the right floor.
You can visit your friends' towers and play on their floors. A friend with the current event floor will be highlighted in green on the friends list.

Why don't my totals show up right away?
Your score has to be sent to our server before it is reflected on the leaderboard. Please allow 30 minutes for it to update. If totals still fail to update, force close the game and check your internet connection.

Why isn't my Players Club name showing up on my friend's leaderboard?
New Players Club names have to be approved by a member of our team before they can display on the World leaderboard.

What determines my Players Club rank?
Your score is equal to the bux won while playing on the current event floor during the event.

What rewards can I earn by participating in the Players Club events?
Rewards may vary. To view the current event's reward, tap the gold "i" button in the bottom left corner of the Players Club screen. Only the top 30 players from each club can win the rank based rewards. All other participating club members will receive the participatory reward.

Does my score count toward my Players Club's total if I'm not rank in the top 30?
No, only the scores of the top 30 players from each club will count toward their club's total.
There we have it! Even more reason to play at your friends Towers if they have the right floor for the challenge (Snorkel Slots for the previous one, Pyramid Poker for the current one).

I played a bit on 3TND's (who are you!) and Oynox Slider's Pyramid Poker floors to test this and I finally showed up in the NEOGAF group. Nice.

Also, like CecilMcW00t mentioned, it's more advantageous to stay in the mid-tier clubs due to how the rewards work, even if the rewards aren't as good (less chips). Joining one of the massive top clubs will most likely only net you the 5 chips reward-tier, while on the smaller clubs you have more of a chance to end in the Top 30 and get something worthwhile (as long as you're in one of the top #100 clubs). For example, the current rewards:

innc67QCNCxwS.png

So, not much of a good idea to join the Toucharcade or Reddit groups, unless you're planning to play compulsively and/or spend real money to end in the top 30 of those groups. :p

PittaGAF

According to some rumors I'm hearing...along with Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate 1 and Baldur's Gate 2 will receive big updates making them universal (i.e.: working on iPhone too).

I can't imagine how they could cram the interface on iPhone but...

I'll try and take part in the event this time on Tiny Tower. I erm... didn't realise you had to play a certain game in a certain level last time and probably missed out on some goodies :(

Minsc

Gold Member
According to some rumors I'm hearing...along with Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate 1 and Baldur's Gate 2 will receive big updates making them universal (i.e.: working on iPhone too).

I can't imagine how they could cram the interface on iPhone but...

Well the interfaces aren't really that much different from one another. If they have one working, the rest would be the same... perhaps having a 5.5" iPhone would help matters a bit too, if it's right around the corner.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Well the interfaces aren't really that much different from one another. If they have one working, the rest would be the same... perhaps having a 5.5" iPhone would help matters a bit too, if it's right around the corner.

Think I burned myself out on Baldur's Gate for a bit. Played BG2 all the way through from start to end, started off on Throne of Bhaal, got to the end of Watcher's keep, come up against the hardest fight I can imagine... nope, had enough. The difficulty spike was just way too much there, it becomes un-fun at a certain level of complexity. Still, the series lasted me about 200 hours, can certainly say I got my money's worth!

PittaGAF

IMHO you could still enjoy Icewind Dale very much.

I daresay I even preferred it over the BGs in the end (they are different in scope and even gameplay a bit).

It doesn't have the grand epic story of BG, nor the free massive exploration...it ìs much more linear, much more focused, and fights are much more custom tailored.

I think that among the Infinity Engine games to port over, the Icewind Dale are the most suited to iOS for a number of reasons (I can see why they started with the top top, BG, of course).

Can't wait to see how it plays...despite having played the Infinity Engine to death, I might buy it again if co op will be feasible enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom