• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2014: This reads like paid advertising, narrated by Tom Hiddleston

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFD

I need friends on my game Centre - currently only have my wife set as a friend :(

Add me please....

Username is gtrowles443

Apologies in advance if this is deemed off topic.

OP has a spreadsheet with all the GAF usernames, feel free to add anyone from there

Chopper

Wow. So deep. So really nothing past the hard wall at 500 huh.
Just a shitload of diamonds. Most of the rocks are filled with diamonds too. Raked in 200,000 in one dive earlier (not in my pants).

For now, anyway. The developers are on Touch Arcade touting much in the way of expansions. There's alot of scope. The game can only get better!

Pimpbaa

How long has it been? Looking for recommendations?

Last iOS device I had was the first generation ipad 1. Just got an iPad 4th gen for free for getting fibre op internet/tv/phone. Already spent too much this month in the app store plus some I added to my wishlist to be purchased at a later date. So not really looking for recommendations (thanks for the offer however). It's just crazy how much stuff I was missing or getting way way later on android.

okno

Just a shitload of diamonds. Most of the rocks are filled with diamonds too. Raked in 200,000 in one dive earlier (not in my pants).

For now, anyway. The developers are on Touch Arcade touting much in the way of expansions. There's alot of scope. The game can only get better!

I nearly bit on the coin doubler today, but as I reached 400km I realized that the returns began to get smaller and smaller. I pull in about 25,000 coin each run, so naturally to get 50,000 each run would be wonderful, right? However, the thing that I noticed is that the game does not start to throw more rare collectible at you the deeper you get. You just start to accrue more rare items once you get past 100km it seems. You don't run into more valuable items as you cross a certain barrier, which you would feel would be a natural occurrence. It's a bit disappointing. However, the game has so much potential for expansion that I'm not mad! The game has so much room of growth and the devs have made it clear that that is on their agenda. It's a great game, but right now it is a bit limited in terms of risk/reward.

Chopper

Maybe I should get Deep Loot, how its the IAP? Its like a metroidvania (like Mines of Mars) where you need specific minerals to build better gear?
Nope. It's not that in-depth. It's ultimately a coin grinder, like Jetpack Joyride, where you go on a dive, accumulate as much loot as you can, which gets turned into money, which you then spend on upgrading your shit. It's very compulsive, and it plays very nicely. It has a lovely aesthetic, the developers are extremely devoted and it's a fantastic timewaster. But it is simplistic, so it might not be for some.

Re: IAPs, there is a single currency and you can purchase coins with real cash. You absolutely DO NOT need to, however. After a few hours of gameplay, I felt the (2) developers deserved my cash for the classic coin-doubler. Money well spent. But IAPs aren't any sort of barrier here.

I nearly bit on the coin doubler today, but as I reached 400km I realized that the returns began to get smaller and smaller. I pull in about 25,000 coin each run, so naturally to get 50,000 each run would be wonderful, right? However, the thing that I noticed is that the game does not start to throw more rare collectible at you the deeper you get. You just start to accrue more rare items once you get past 100km it seems. You don't run into more valuable items as you cross a certain barrier, which you would feel would be a natural occurrence. It's a bit disappointing. However, the game has so much potential for expansion that I'm not mad! The game has so much room of growth and the devs have made it clear that that is on their agenda. It's a great game, but right now it is a bit limited in terms of risk/reward.
Certain loot, items, locations and enemies are only available at certain depths, and I'm pretty sure loot gets more valuable and prolific the deeper you get, so it is worth going well past 100m.

PFD

I never played this saga of TD, and I am in the mood for one, which one should I get, first or second? or Fieldrunners 2?

Both Kingdom Rush games are awesome. I'd play them in order.

And Fieldrunners 2 should be free. They added tons of IAPs, and the difficulty is suspiciously way too high.

FerranMG

I couldn't get into Fieldrunners because the levels are too long.

A new Kingdom Rush is fantastic news.
I hope they stick with a universal release this time around, and that they support cloud saving.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Reminder - The Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 1 is the IGN Free Game of the Month for August:

http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/walkingdead-2-free

iOS copies can be grabbed 100% for free (no account needed) in 42 countries. And after a year of waiting, we're finally able to move on getting a few more countries added to the list. So... hopefully some good news there in a month or two.

Reminder - The Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 1 is the IGN Free Game of the Month for August:

iOS copies can be grabbed 100% for free (no account needed) in 42 countries. And after a year of waiting, we're finally able to move on getting a few more countries added to the list. So... hopefully some good news there in a month or two.
This reads like paid advertising :p

Finally caught up to the current Episode, enjoying the season a lot, although I felt more connected to the characters in Season 1. Will be interesting to see what Telltale has planned for Season 3

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
This reads like paid advertising :p

Finally caught up to the current Episode, enjoying the season a lot, although I felt more connected to the characters in Season 1. Will be interesting to see what Telltale has planned for Season 3

It's just a reader service.

Err I think season 1 episode 1 is free. I am checking and season 2 still costs money.

PFD

I am checking and season 2 still costs money.

He's not saying it's free on the App Store. IGN is offering codes for a free download if you follow the link in his post

I will be heartbroken if Telltale doesn't make a Wolf Among Us Season 2. I enjoyed that series far more than TWD

Pako is pretty fun so far. As someone who played a ton of the Driver games this one does a good job of capturing that same drift-heavy getaway rush. The soundtrack is pretty solid and the immediate reload makes for a really addictive play session.

I really think the game would benefit from some pronounced tire squealing effects as it would add some tangibility to what is happening on screen and seems like a really obvious oversight. On the whole, we'll worth $1 and I continue to be surprised by how often I return to my iPad for arcade gaming fixes.

He's not saying it's free on the App Store. IGN is offering codes for a free download if you follow the link in his post

I will be heartbroken if Telltale doesn't make a Wolf Among Us Season 2. I enjoyed that series far more than TWD

Ohhh. Thanks.

Edit: so I deleted Season 1 to make room on my iPad sometime ago. What do I lose out on by having some background choices randomly selected for me in TWDS2?

Great, I just hope they aren't still going to do separate, more expensive HD versions for the iPad. That's the reason I still haven't picked up the first two on my iPad. I love the games, but already have them on my Android phone (which does scale between devices without paying extra).

If the new iPhones are going to have different resolutions I'd imagine they'd probably have to ditch the two game version system hopefully.

Ok so compared to TWD Season 1, TWD Season 2 runs like absolute shit on my iPad Air. Both cutscenes and in game parts are running at what looks and feels like sub 20 fps. Maybe even sub 15. It is really bad and noticeable in any case. The walking animation is also really awkward.

PittaGAF

Star Realms is sooooooooooooo good.

I'm in love.

I depleted both iPad and iPhone batteries playing non stop.
It was a while...

Guys, give Arcane Soul a try. Very fun hack and slash with RPG elements. It's free and it's very fair, with only one currency and no timer, ads or DRM shenanigans. Looks gorgeous and it's running at glorious 60 fps, which makes combat fast and fun. Three different characters to play with.

Nothing groundbreaking, but a good amount of fun for free. Reminds me of Muramasa and Dragon's Crown, but obviously not as good.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/arcanesoul/id892626405?mt=8
I've been playing this pretty solidly for the past few days, but it has now officially gotten to the point where the grind has hit (I'm around level 23) and the game is basically begging me to buy some in-game currency.

Such a massive shame. The game is gorgeous, the controls are flawless when using a controller (I'm using a PS3 controller) and still great even using on-screen controls. Hell, the combat is brilliantly fun and the game is genuinely challenging at points without being cheap.

Yet another fantastic opportunity ruined by the cash grab of F2P.

Don't know enough about Pokemon or the original tweeter to know if this is real or fake, but...

BvGaIxWIcAA_7Wp.jpg

Josh Wittenkeller ‏@TheJWittz 3h
It looks like Pokémon TCGO is in works for the iPad! Should be a huge way to expand the game. #PlayPokemon pic.twitter.com/SPlx3QZaTC

https://twitter.com/TheJWittz/status/500350510403432448/photo/1

sibarraz

Banned
I had my credit card blocked, but thanks god I remembered that I stole had 300 yens from that time when colinp charge my japanese account with 3000 yens, so I bought the PPG, best park in the universe, and the gumball game

Is good to know that even though I bought them in the japanese store, I got the games on my native language

Anyone played Oceanhorn? Thinking about picking it up.

A lot of people love it, but I just can't get through it. I find it super drab and lifeless, and it reminds me of like a low-to-middle tier Dreamcast game. Have tried many times but always quit little more than an hour in.

igor

Anyone played Oceanhorn? Thinking about picking it up.

For 8 euro it's a very competent Zelda clone. I had more fun with this than the Zelda incarnation on Nintendo DS, personally. It's well done but copies so blatantly from the Nintendo franchise it makes Gameloft games look almost subtle.

It kinda plays like Minish Cap in 3d with Wind Waker gimmicks like islands, and traveling on a boat.

I would recommend it, but some people didn't like it. Isn't there a demo that lets you see how it will perform on your phone? It's The initial island + first super tiny dungeon, enough to get the feel of the game.

awp69

Ok, guys, I finally am going to try to get my ass in gear and try to get back into socializing about iOS gaming.

Many of you already know me from my long time at TA. But I'm quite happy to find a friendlier home here ;)

One thing I need to figure out is the format of things here. So is there basically one monthly thread for iOS games?

colinp

Banned
That was my poor attempt at humor (see the thread title)

Great to see you active in the IOS threads though. Have you seen Deep Under The Sky, from Colin Northway (Incredipede)? Comes out next week, got a preview build, really fun so far
http://deepunderthesky.com

Heh, Justin was crazy active in the thread before (and even after) he joined IGN. Be careful with the paid humor as he was unjustly given shit after he joined IGN in the past.

We love you Justin! Really hoping Japan finally makes it on the IGN list. Always appreciate your free games none the less!

PFD

Ok, guys, I finally am going to try to get my ass in gear and try to get back into socializing about iOS gaming.

Many of you already know me from my long time at TA. But I'm quite happy to find a friendlier home here ;)

One thing I need to figure out is the format of things here. So is there basically one monthly thread for iOS games?

Welcome!

Yeah, there's a new iOS thread every month. Be sure to read the OP, as it highlights a bunch of games that are well-liked by the community here, as well as links to previous months.

There's also an active iOS boardgaming mega-thread. Outside of these two threads, it's rare to see iOS games discussion on GAF (apart from the odd OT every now and then.)

Oh snap, you made it. Nice to see you here. So yeah, there's a monthly IOS Games thread, and a few other IOS-centric threads (see the links to Hidden Gems and Why IOS Rocks in the OP). Occasionally more notable games gets their own threads, games like Wayward Souls, Monument Valley, and 80 Days. But to be honest, outside of these threads, many have an indifferent or ignorant perspective of mobile games.

Flunkie

Banned

Welcome. This place is a lot better than TA. :)

Flandy

Question. Are in app purchases linked to the phone or account? Going to get an iPhone soon and in the mean time I'm borrowing my dads. If I sign out of my dads account, log into mine, and buy some iAP will they still be there when I get a new iPhone?

Wanting to buy the cases in Ace Attorney: Dual Destines if that makes any difference.

Question. Are in app purchases linked to the phone or account? Going to get an iPhone soon and in the mean time I'm borrowing my dads. If I sign out of my dads account, log into mine, and buy some iAP will they still be there when I get a new iPhone?

Wanting to buy the cases in Ace Attorney: Dual Destines if that makes any difference.

They're bound to account (unless consumable, of course).

Z..

Is it just me having problems with the new recommendation layout? No names...
Mobile version on iPad, dark theme, btw.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
So after I buy the DLC can I just log out and log my dad back in without any issues?
That's right, in-app purchases are 100% tied to the account and treated like part of the app. Just be aware that if you leave AA5 installed with the chapters purchased on your dad's phone he'll still be able to play them normally even after you log out and he logs in. Who's logged only matters during the installation of the app and purchasing/restoring process. After that, any account can use whatever app/IAP is installed on the device.

You can log on any number of devices, install the app and restore purchases, then any account you log in with can play with that DLC/IAP just fine. I've been doing it on other devices in the family (and vice-versa) for a while now. Log in, install/restore purchases, log out. I bought AA5 and will be installing the chapters on my brother's iPad next time I meet him for example, and I did the same with the IAP in Ghost Trick, Republique, Where's my Water and others.

Flandy

That's right, in-app purchases are 100% tied to the account and treated like part of the app. Just be aware that if you leave AA5 installed with the chapters purchased on your dad's phone he'll still be able to play them normally even after you log out and he logs in. Who's logged only matters during the installation of the app and purchasing/restoring process. After that, any account can use whatever app/IAP is installed on the device.

You can log on any number of devices, install the app and restore purchases, then any account you log in with can play with that DLC/IAP just fine. I've been doing it on other devices in the family (and vice-versa) for a while now. Log in, install/restore purchases, log out. I bought AA5 and will be installing the chapters on my brother's iPad next time I meet him for example, and I did the same with the IAP in Ghost Trick, Republique, Where's my Water and others.
That's fine. I just wanted to download the app, buy the dlc, and then log my dad back in so he could continue to use the app store as he normally would. So it's all tied to the account then? I don't have to use iTunes or anything? Sorry for all the questions but I just want to be really sure I don't end up losing my purchases or that it ends up getting tied to my dads account.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
That's fine. I just wanted to download the app, buy the dlc, and then log my dad back in so he could continue to use the app store as he normally would. So it's all tied to the account then? I don't have to use iTunes or anything? Sorry for all the questions but I just want to be really sure I don't end up losing my purchases or that it ends up getting tied to my dads account.
Yep, it's totally tied to your account and it doesn't matter on what device you originally purchased the IAP, and no iTunes usage necessary. Whenever you log with your account on any other iPad or iPhone you will be able to restore that IAP without having to purchase it again. It won't get tied to your dad's account in any way.

awp69

Void Mode in Nihilumbra...damn, the devs don't mess around. Hard as nails from the get go

Wish Nihilumbra would get widescreen support.

Anyway, another noob question. I'm having trouble logging in on my Android tablet. Might be a Java script issue? But I find it really hard to navigate these forums on my iPhone 5S so I'd like to use my tablet.

Another thing in regards to mobile viewing is I wish there was a "last page" button at the top. Annoying to have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the first thread page then click the last button.

Yeah, minor gripes but want to get used to the navigation around here.

Wish Nihilumbra would get widescreen support.

Anyway, another noob question. I'm having trouble logging in on my Android tablet. Might be a Java script issue? But I find it really hard to navigate these forums on my iPhone 5S so I'd like to use my tablet.

Another thing in regards to mobile viewing is I wish there was a "last page" button at the top. Annoying to have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the first thread page then click the last button.

Yeah, minor gripes but want to get used to the navigation around here.
Tap the arrow to go to the bottom of the page:
EjCsGRl.jpg

There's a button to go to the last page at the bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom