• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2015 | Last chance to play your favorites before iOS9 breaks them

awp69

It's an absolutely shame that Galactic Keep didn't get an Editor's Choice

Wonder if it had anything to do with the delay? I was surprised that Dungeon of the Endless got the more prominent placement at the top of the Games page. Not that it isn't deserving as well, but Galactic Keep is probably the more accessible of the two.

Shaneus

Pretty sad story from Radiangames on their blog about the failure of Inferno 2 on Steam (there's a story on TA as well but the blog post gives more insight).

http://www.radiangames.com/inferno-2-on-steam-not-a-good-opening-act/

But the good news is that they will be releasing a trailer for a new mobile release later this week.
Wow, that's really, really sad. Honestly, if I'd legit known it existed on there I would buy it. They always have solid output and gladly back everything they release on iOS.

Edit: I'm almost tempted to create a thread on this, if one hasn't been created already. Thoughts?

Wow, that's really, really sad. Honestly, if I'd legit known it existed on there I would buy it. They always have solid output and gladly back everything they release on iOS.

Edit: I'm almost tempted to create a thread on this, if one hasn't been created already. Thoughts?
Eh, I don't know. People will probably bring up the same reasons I brought up earlier:
- not enough marketing/pre-release exposure (dev himself said this)
- releasing around other bigger games like The Swindle and Five Nights At Freddy
- releasing the week before Gamescom, so sites would be concerned about pre-conference reveals during the week Inferno released and covering announcements the following week

Really comes down to bad timing IMO, because other devs have done well with their mobile-to-PC ports and Inferno 2 does seem like a game that would usually gain more attention

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Eh, I don't know. People will probably bring up the same reasons I brought up earlier:
- releasing around other bigger games like The Swindle and Five Nights At Freddy
- releasing the week before Gamescom, so sites would be concerned about pre-conference reveals during the week Inferno released and covering announcements the following week

Really comes down to bad timing IMO, because other devs have done well with their mobile-to-PC ports and Inferno 2 does seem like a game that would usually gain more attention

I think it is a reality that Steam is becoming more crowded as a marketplace though.

It may not have the same level of discoverability and pricing problems of mobile, but those issues are getting worse there, not better.

Regardless of the marketplace, there is enough content everywhere that devs can't just throw their game into the mix and hope for the best. Marketing, social, timing, positioning, and long term pricing and sales strategies are increasingly necessary for success everywhere. And for a small team that is hard because none of that helps make the game better directly, and even takes resources away from dev.

Not even sure where I'd recommend a small team to focus their initial efforts any more to be honest. It's "hard" everywhere.

Shaneus

I also suspect a part's played in Steam not categorising titles well enough to appear in people's feeds. I own a number of shmups and regularly see them under "games I might like" but noticed Inferno 2 was categorised as being action/RPG. Maybe there'd just not been enough people to play it for it to draw that mathematical conclusion, but the point still kinda remains... how do you get people to notice?

I suppose a better way could've been to release a thinly-veiled content update to a number of the Radiangames titles on iOS, including a popup for the game. I know that sure as hell would've worked, even if I didn't play the games (sometimes just seeing an app is updated is enough to get me to play it).

At least there are several outlets dedicated to mobile gaming where they can get some kind of publicity, like he mentioned. Nothing really exists for that for the Steam indie market. I suppose Beril would be one of the few people here (and maybe whoever it was that made Cook, Serve, Delicious!) that could give us some insight.

I also suspect a part's played in Steam not categorising titles well enough to appear in people's feeds. I own a number of shmups and regularly see them under "games I might like" but noticed Inferno 2 was categorised as being action/RPG. Maybe there'd just not been enough people to play it for it to draw that mathematical conclusion, but the point still kinda remains... how do you get people to notice?

I suppose a better way could've been to release a thinly-veiled content update to a number of the Radiangames titles on iOS, including a popup for the game. I know that sure as hell would've worked, even if I didn't play the games (sometimes just seeing an app is updated is enough to get me to play it).

At least there are several outlets dedicated to mobile gaming where they can get some kind of publicity, like he mentioned. Nothing really exists for that for the Steam indie market. I suppose Beril would be one of the few people here (and maybe whoever it was that made Cook, Serve, Delicious!) that could give us some insight.
Quite a few outlets cover PC indies. Indie Gaming Weblog & Indie Game Mag are indie-focused. Rock Paper Shotgun & PC Gamer cover indie games regularly. Plus Youtube channels

PittaGAF

It's an absolutely shame that Galactic Keep didn't get an Editor's Choice

A shame but the last emotional rollercoaster of the game being pulled didn't help IMHO.
It's in the best new games section anyway, and looks like it's cruising the charts too.

I wish Rob Lemon the biggest success and a fast big economical gain...games development doesn't get any more indie than this....and I also want a new module as soon as possible :)

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Just had to start a new game in galactic keep as I couldn't beat the first monster in the tutorial. One of my first attacks lead to me losing my weapon, which meant I wasn't strong enough to defeat the first enemy, leading me to repeatedly die and have to do the entire battle tutorial over and over until I gave up. Not fun.

Matt Frost

Horizon Chase: World Tour keeps getting better and better, the music is just spectacular. Goes with the game so well and I can find myself humming the tunes all the time... something strange in me since I rarely pay attention to that side of games. Loving it.

10 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD GET HORIZON CHASE
- Classic Arcade Gameplay
- 16-Bit Graphics Reinvented
- Barry Leitch's Soundtrack
- Compete Against Friends
- No In-App Purchase
- 16 Unlockable Cars
- Car Upgrading
- 8 Cups, 32 Cities, 73 Tracks
- Diverse Weather Changes
- 7 Input Methods (MFi Gamepad Compatibility)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Horizon Chase is pretty dope once i found a control scheme that worked for me. love the music & art style.

Just had to start a new game in galactic keep as I couldn't beat the first monster in the tutorial. One of my first attacks lead to me losing my weapon, which meant I wasn't strong enough to defeat the first enemy, leading me to repeatedly die and have to do the entire battle tutorial over and over until I gave up. Not fun.

man, that is some really bad luck :/

awp69

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe even after x amount of turns you lose your weapon like that, you still have to reequip it when the penalty is over. So if you aren't doing that then that's probably why you are losing the battle each time.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe even after x amount of turns you lose your weapon like that, you still have to reequip it when the penalty is over. So if you aren't doing that then that's probably why you are losing the battle each time.
Yeah, you get your weapon back after 2 or 3 turns but you have to manually re-equip from the items menu

Cyber Hacker looks really cool. Another Uplink-esque hacking puzzle/sim. Pocket Tactics gave it a 3/5
https://appsto.re/us/oQXD6.i
https://vimeo.com/136455294
You are a professional hacker who makes a living by breaking into computer systems all over the world. Discover passwords and trade secrets, create viruses, and watch chaos unfold from your secret lair. As your skill and experience level increases you will receive more challenging tasks. And beware of Interpol! It is you they will go after.

Cyber Hacker is a high strategy game involving such features as social engineering, computer viruses, and industrial espionage. Work against a ticking clock in a highly realistic digital world.
BFGtXP2.jpg

JCho133

Looks like Battlestation: Harbingers major issues are fixed and live, another fix just went in the fixes the resolution on iPhone 6.

Definitely worth the pick up now, seems totally overshadowed by Galactic Keep and Dungeons of the Endless, sadly.

I love pac man so I've been playing pac man 256.

Yesterday I was listening to my own music and opened the game, listening to my own music while I played.
Now when I just open the game I can hear the games sound effects and no in game music.

There is only a toggle for mute in the options that turns the sound effects on and off but nothing to turn the music back on.

Is this something the game needs to update? Anyone else experience this?

awp69

Is it black and white?
Or its protagonist was one of the first gaming female protagonist icon?

Either way, I'm hyped.

I know I'm heavily anticipating the latter. Don't know much detail on that ...em....noir game.

Oh hell, let's not beat around the bush. I want to know how Lara Croft GO will work being a more adventure game than the stealth based Hitman GO. Guess I'm excited but just don't see how a board game like approach will translate as well.

But I don't think anyone thought Hitman Go would be as good as it is so I have no doubt this will be good as well.

I know I'm heavily anticipating the latter. Don't know much detail on that ...em....noir game.

Oh hell, let's not beat around the bush. I want to know how Lara Croft GO will work being a more adventure game than the stealth based Hitman GO. Guess I'm excited but just don't see how a board game like approach will translate as well.

But I don't think anyone thought Hitman Go would be as good as it is so I have no doubt this will be good as well.
Oh, ok, it's the latter and It works wonderfully. An action puzzler, rather than a boardgame. And it looks gorgeous.
And better yet, it feels like an adventure, since levels flow from one to the next.

awp69

Oh, ok, it's the latter and It works wonderfully. An action puzzler, rather than a boardgame. And it looks gorgeous.
And better yet, it feels like an adventure, since levels flow one to the next.

I meant boardgame in the sense that you move the character one space at a time. I know it looks more dynamic than Hitman Go in terms of animated visuals vs the game piece style.

I am guess puzzles can still work that way with switches and stuff, but what about combat? Or will Lara Croft Go also follow the more stealth combat avoidance of Hitman?

I meant boardgame in the sense that you move the character one space at a time. I know it looks more dynamic than Hitman Go in terms of animated visuals vs the game piece style.

I am guess puzzles can still work that way with switches and stuff, but what about combat? Or will Lara Croft Go also follow the more stealth combat avoidance of Hitman?
Combat is the same as Hitman - bump into enemies from the sides or back - but with more action elements. Single use items like spears, creatures that chase you, using traps to kill enemies

Matt Frost

Got my hands on a certain anticipated game that comes out next week...and it totally lives up to the hype, guys

Congrats man, I already wanted it but now my hype is through the roof. Cant wait. What an awesome week ahead with that, Sky Safari 2, Breakneck,...

Shucks. Just when we thought we dodged a bullet by launching our game next week and not this heavily stacked week.

Been some intense iOS weeks for sure, but I think Breakneck will get traction (free, no timers, graphics are amazing, lots of cool events happening on screen, fast, will get a lot of downloads from the ones who didn't pay 5$ for the other one). I think free to play people will love it. I like it a lot too.

But how???

Working for PocketGamer sure has its perks :p

JCho133

Okay Horizon Chase is absolutely wonderful. Best iOS racer I've played since Asphalt 6.

And looks like the newest Hitman Sniper update wiped many peoples' progress. Shame, I was just about to buy it because of the sale so probably gonna pass for now

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Horizon Chase has sold me on iOS racing. Nothing's 'clicked' before this.

And the music is god-tier.

Talking about AG Drive:

150,000 downloads since launch, and the first sale was last week. Seems relatively good for a $3.99 premium IOS game.

Matt Frost

Horizon Chase has sold me on iOS racing. Nothing's 'clicked' before this.

And the music is god-tier.

Fully agree with everything you said. I didnt like racing games too much, the last one I played was Burnout 3: Takedown... but I did love F-Zero and WipeOut, so Horizon Chase got back my interest for the genre (Race the Sun and Breakneck also had something to do with this but in the sense of speed kind of way)

Asphalt 8, Repulze, and AG Drive are also excellent IMO

I am looking at AD Drive (sale at 2$ instead of 5$) at it looks great, but a couple of questions:

1) Does it have weapons like WipeOut? If not, is there something like WipeOut on iOS?
2) Running low on space... how much installed?

awp69

Asphalt 8, Repulze, and AG Drive are also excellent IMO

I also think Impulse GP is severely underrated. The boost system in that game just adds a hook to it that had me addicted as hell. I have finished the current content (although I still need to get 1st in every race) and was hoping that it would be successful enough that the expansion that was planned still comes to fruition. However, the dev posted a lengthy blog outlining just how poor the game sold vs pirated copies.

Really ashame because even though the graphics and polish are better in AG Drive, I found Impulse GP to be a lot more engaging gameplay wise.

Asphalt 8, even with all of its freemium qualities, is still probably my favorite all-time racer on iOS.

awp69

I am looking at AD Drive (sale at 2$ instead of 5$) at it looks great, but a couple of questions:

1) Does it have weapons like WipeOut? If not, is there something like WipeOut on iOS?
2) Running low on space... how much installed?

There are no weapons in AG Drive. And really aren't many games on iOS that can compare combat wise to WipeOut. The closest is probably Repulze (combat in the third tier).

Oh, and Flashout 2, which initially had some issues with a F2P style in a premium game, but thankfully was updated to take much of that feel away. There is a pure F2P version of that now as well.

EDIT:Both of these posts are by no means suggesting AG Drive isn't great because it is. It has some of the most gorgeous graphics on iOS and a tremendous sense of speed. I still have it on my iPad since day one as well. Installed size is 543 MB.

Matt Frost

There are no weapons in AG Drive. And really aren't many games on iOS that can compare combat wise to WipeOut. The closest is probably Repulse (combat in the third tier).

Oh, and Flashout 2, which initially had some issues with a F2P style in a premium game, but thankfully was updated to take much of that feel away. There is a pure F2P version of that now as well.

Thanks. I saw Repulze but it has too many IAPs for my taste. And FlashOut 2 looks alright but I am getting AG Drive, lools rad and add play it after I completed Horizon Chase (at this rate it will be very soon)

Thanks. I saw Repulze but it has too many IAPs for my taste. And FlashOut 2 looks alright but I am getting AG Drive, lools rad and add play it after I completed Horizon Chase (at this rate it will be very soon)
You're missing out if you haven't played Repulze. It's from the devs of Space Marshals and Reckless Racing, and it's a fantastic IOS game

awp69

As far as IAPs in Repulze, I wouldn't worry about them. They are really just shortcuts. Repulse is also one of my favorite racing games on iOS with incredible graphics even though it's now quite a few years since release.

Flashout 2 actually got me my first temporary ban on TA because the IAPs were completely consumable geared in a premium game. And I have to laugh because as much as the Dev ignored me and argued his point, he ended up changing the game to exactly what I had been asking for.

And still keep Impulse GP in mind. It's fantastic and....zero IAPs.

Matt Frost

As far as IAPs in Repulze, I wouldn't worry about them. They are really just shortcuts. Repulse is also one of my favorite racing games on iOS with incredible graphics even though it's now quite a few years since release.

Flashout 2 actually got me my first temporary ban on TA because the IAPs were completely consumable geared in a premium game. And I have to laugh because as much as the Dev ignored me and argued his point, he ended up changing the game to exactly what I had been asking for.

And still keep Impulse GP in mind. It's fantastic and....zero IAPs.

You're missing out if you haven't played Repulze. It's from the devs of Space Marshals and Reckless Racing, and it's a fantastic IOS game

Good thing one of them is on sale and 3$ for both (AG and Repulze) is nothing, bought.. I never looked how much I spend on iOS apps every month, maybe is the time to look into it...

awp69

Good thing one of them is on sale and 3$ for both (AG and Repulze) is nothing, bought.. I never looked how much I spend on iOS apps every month, maybe is the time to look into it...

Good choices. After I mentioned Flashout 2, I decided to download it again to see how it fared against the likes of AG Drive (and also because I noticed the F2P version released just this past February was gone).

And wow, Flashout 2, even without the original consumable IAP push, really is just bad. Poor controls and no sense of speed at all.

AG Drive and Impulse GP are way better with both blowing away Flashout 2 in terms of speed.

And Repulze is just a great game all around. So much content. Can be a little difficult getting the toolkits for upgrades. But getting them is part of the fun.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Been some intense iOS weeks for sure, but I think Breakneck will get traction (free, no timers, graphics are amazing, lots of cool events happening on screen, fast, will get a lot of downloads from the ones who didn't pay 5$ for the other one). I think free to play people will love it. I like it a lot too.

Honestly, I think you should be fine. The game looks great, will surely attract the arcade fans, and it's free. That already gives you an advantage.

Thanks for the support and encouragement guys.

Regardless of other releases competing for the spotlight, we are certainly hoping for a strong release. And the way things are lining up, it looks like we'll be getting more than our fair share of Apple love over the next month.

awp69

If you haven't tried Happy Wheels, give it a download. It's hard and funny as hell, if you don't mind mindless, gory violence. Just finished a level with both of legs amputated. :)

If you haven't tried Happy Wheels, give it a download. It's hard and funny as hell, if you don't mind mindless, gory violence. Just finished a level with both of legs amputated. :)
Downloaded and bought the ad remover before even trying a level. Love the game on PC and it plays great on touch

The level editor is practically effortless. Can copy and paste, rotate, resize with ease.

Which is great because making insane death gauntlets is never gets old.

Btw, all the characters are available in the editor, not just the Segway guy

Top Bottom