• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming January 2017 | Swipe Right Into The New Year

Bumhead

Banned
Bought an iPad Pro 9.7 today. I absolutely love it. Spent all day playing Football Manager Touch and I'm pretty much in love with this thing.

Couple of game related questions;

1.) Is Civ Revolution 2 worth playing?

2.) Can anyone recommend any other particularly good strategy/management/building sims? Particularly City builders? Other than Sim City Buildit, which I've tried and didn't care for on iPhone. Rollercoaster Tycoon classic is already on my to-buy list.

Bought an iPad Pro 9.7 today. I absolutely love it. Spent all day playing Football Manager Touch and I'm pretty much in love with this thing.

2.) Can anyone recommend any other particularly good strategy/management/building sims? Particularly City builders? Other than Sim City Buildit, which I've tried and didn't care for on iPhone. Rollercoaster Tycoon classic is already on my to-buy list.
This War of Mine is essentially a group management sim, need to keep your survivors healthy, fed, safe, emotionally stable, upgrade and repair your shelter

King of Dragon Pass is a classic 4X/text adventure-y game

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Civ Rev 2, which is pretty much a direct port of the console games, is a very solid civilisation game. Not as deep as the mainline Civ games but if you're a fan of the genre you can't go wrong with it imo.

A longtime fan game on iPad for me is Transport Tycoon, same dev as RTC.

Boney

Banned
https://twitter.com/rocketcatgames/status/817856155342864384

C1mbvWFVQAAvLXZ.jpg
I'm surprised how long it's taken them to push out the updates on WS

danialias

Neo Member
Hi, everybody. I'm new around here so I'm wondering if this is the correct place to post (hope it is!). Lately I finished, together with some friends, the first beta version of our first game, so now we are looking for people to try it and get as much feedback as possible to improve it.

The game is an RPG similar to Puzzle & Dragons (character collection and upgrade), but the battle stages are not puzzle but skill based. It looks like a mix between a match-3 and a rhythm game (but it plays completely different to both of them, we like to think it's quite innovative). It have an score attack mode too.

The game it's called "Phobos Children", you can see screenshots and videos at www.phoboschildren.com. (I will post here an animated gif, but still it can be difficult to grasp)

Phobochiru-animated-med.gif

If you are interested, please register at at this direction and I will send you a TestFlight invitation as soon as possible. Thanks!

So, really looking forward to hearing your feedback. If you want more info please don't hesitate to ask me anything!

Matt Frost

Completed Lost Socks! What a blast! From beginning to end it was amazing. The best auto-runner with a shooting mechanic ever. 10/10 Platinum Award. Top notch animations, controls really well, cool unlocks premium style. It has everything. If it comes to PS4 I will buy it again. One of the best games on the AppStore.

awp69

Completed Lost Socks! What a blast! From beginning to end it was amazing. The best auto-runner with a shooting mechanic ever. 10/10 Platinum Award. Top notch animations, controls really well, cool unlocks premium style. It has everything. If it comes to PS4 I will buy it again. One of the best games on the AppStore.

Congrats. And agreed. Better be on your GoTY list!

Arroyo

Neo Member
Hi, everybody. I'm new around here so I'm wondering if this is the correct place to post (hope it is!). Lately I finished, together with some friends, the first beta version of our first game, so now we are looking for people to try it and get as much feedback as possible to improve it.

The game is an RPG similar to Puzzle & Dragons (character collection and upgrade), but the battle stages are not puzzle but skill based. It looks like a mix between a match-3 and a rhythm game (but it plays completely different to both of them, we like to think it's quite innovative). It have an score attack mode too.

The game it's called "Phobos Children", you can see screenshots and videos at www.phoboschildren.com. (I will post here an animated gif, but still it can be difficult to grasp)

Phobochiru-animated-med.gif

If you are interested, please register at at this direction and I will send you a TestFlight invitation as soon as possible. Thanks!

So, really looking forward to hearing your feedback. If you want more info please don't hesitate to ask me anything!

Grrrreat game is great. I recommend everyone to give it a shot since it's pretty addictive and fun. Also, I love it when developers give us the opportunity to play their games in advance so we can help to improve them. Thank you, danialias!

Finished Botanicula. Oh yeah, far better than Machinarium but just a bit behind Samorost 3.

Lovely, alive world. Great mazelike level that can get your head scratching were to go next, awesome music and probably the best main characters out of the three ("Yupeeee")

Bring on Chuchel Amanita <3

Matt Frost

Finished Badland 1, Power Hover and RunGunJumpGun. All three are classics. Each a must have. Platinum Award for everyone on this list.

Finished Botanicula. Oh yeah, far better than Machinarium but just a bit behind Samorost 3.

Lovely, alive world. Great mazelike level that can get your head scratching were to go next, awesome music and probably the best main characters out of the three ("Yupeeee")

Bring on Chuchel Amanita <3

It is my favourite amanita design game.

Pachimari

The board game Mysterium that was supposed to release last month is finally coming out on Thursday!

Gangstar: New Orleans has also soft launched in the Philippines to mixed reactions.

Avallon

More_Badass, will you be making a new iOS Gaming Rocks thread at all? I loved the last two and would be keen to see what's new since January 2016.

okno

Maaaaan, I've been waiting so long for Isaac, but argh $15 is a touch steep for me at the moment. Balls.

Shearie

Too bad BOI didn't come out before school started because I would have insta-bought it on it's reputation alone (never played BOI before).

Vee_One

23 AUD for Isaac w/touch controls? That's about rich especially since it is substantially less on PC.
I was expecting ~15AUD

Gonna have to give that some thought

EDIT: for the record I love Isaac and have bought it multiple times in all its iterations.

I blindly bought Binding of Isaac as I haven't played Rebirth at all, just the original version. 15 bucks is a lot for a mobile game, but seeing as I put 100 hours into the original, I easily see myself getting my money's worth. Can anyone tell what the difference in the options is between touch 1 and 2? I don't see any differences.

Music and possible other spoilers:
They seemed to have completely redone the music, and I'm not liking it as much as the original based on first impressions. I'm going to be super bummed if my innermost apocalypse, or something equally as good isn't in the game.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Binding of Isaac requires iOS 10, as much as I love the game on PC I don't think I'll be losing my jailbreak to get it on iOS.

I'm more than willing to pay that $14.99 price but before I do I'm just wondering; a handful of people on TA mentioned floaty controls and that it saps quite a bit of battery, any of this true?

I'm more than willing to pay that $14.99 price but before I do I'm just wondering; a handful of people on TA mentioned floaty controls and that it saps quite a bit of battery, any of this true?

The game does drain my iPhone 7 plus's battery fast. I was caught off guard after playing it for an hour.

PittaGAF

Binding of Isaac requires iOS 10, as much as I love the game on PC I don't think I'll be losing my jailbreak to get it on iOS.

I don't own the game nor I tried because I'm always on last version but I've read on Toucharcade that you can buy the game on iTunes then transfer it on a iOS9 device (it tells you it transfer a different version or something)...so you may want check into that.

I've never tried or heard about this option to be honest but still...

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I don't own the game nor I tried because I'm always on last version but I've read on Toucharcade that you can buy the game on iTunes then transfer it on a iOS9 device (it tells you it transfer a different version or something)...so you may want check into that.

I've never tried or heard about this option to be honest but still...

Thanks - I took a look at the forum and they're saying that paying for the app in iTunes allows you to use the "Download previous version" option to get the app to download on a non-iOS10 device. They've been doing beta testing on ios 8 and 9 so I'm sure it works, I'll have to give it a shot.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Thanks - I took a look at the forum and they're saying that paying for the app in iTunes allows you to use the "Download previous version" option to get the app to download on a non-iOS10 device. They've been doing beta testing on ios 8 and 9 so I'm sure it works, I'll have to give it a shot.

That sounds like this is an unintentional side effect of the "Download previous version" option if pre-release builds didn't have the iOS 10 requirement, probably means you might encounter bugs and such not present in the release version.

Matt Frost

Didnt like BOI on my PS4 not sure about it. Also read about floaty controls... and too hooked to another game right now... nice price though

Oynox

BoI has quite a remarkable price tag. That gives me a good opportunity to ask something I have been wondering about quite some time. At which price tags do you buy games without thought and where to you start to think about the money spent? Of course this largely depends on how much money you have at all and how much you have to think about how to spend it, but yeah, was wondering about that.

During the holiday sale I bought Card Crawl, Reigns, Mini Metro, Broken Age and some other apps for 99 cents without thinking too much about it since I knew they were all critical acclaimed. But I also bought Crashlands and Ticket to Ride for 1.99 each which involved a bit more consideration especially with Crashlands because I already played it before.

However there were other games for a price tag of 2.99 or above I thought about getting but in the end I decided against it and bought several 99 cent games instead. This probably is kind of a psychological question as well but to me it really seemed like I rather spend my money on several lower-than-2-bucks priced games than fewer more expensive games... That especially game to my mind when I thought about getting Super Mario Run and game to the conclusion that 9.99 is way too much for my taste, especially knowing that there are several other excellent auto runners on the App Store.

Boney

Banned
I usually budget for $20 a month and go from there. 4.99 is my limit of "yep this looks awesome" and higher priced games rely on more research, time to let it sit in and play around with schedules and sales.

NeoRaider

BoI has quite a remarkable price tag. That gives me a good opportunity to ask something I have been wondering about quite some time. At which price tags do you buy games without thought and where to you start to think about the money spent? Of course this largely depends on how much money you have at all and how much you have to think about how to spend it, but yeah, was wondering about that.

During the holiday sale I bought Card Crawl, Reigns, Mini Metro, Broken Age and some other apps for 99 cents without thinking too much about it since I knew they were all critical acclaimed. But I also bought Crashlands and Ticket to Ride for 1.99 each which involved a bit more consideration especially with Crashlands because I already played it before.

However there were other games for a price tag of 2.99 or above I thought about getting but in the end I decided against it and bought several 99 cent games instead. This probably is kind of a psychological question as well but to me it really seemed like I rather spend my money on several lower-than-2-bucks priced games than fewer more expensive games... That especially game to my mind when I thought about getting Super Mario Run and game to the conclusion that 9.99 is way too much for my taste, especially knowing that there are several other excellent auto runners on the App Store.

It depends on the game really. For "good" mobile game i can spend more than 10$.
For example i wouldn't spend 10$ on Mario Run. But i would spend 10$ on Severed for example. I got Severed on sale for 3.99$ and i feel like i should give developers 6.99$ which is full price of the game.

I don't have any weekly or monthly limit but i really like sales, not just on App Store, but i guess we all do? lol

Pachimari

Binding of Isaac was so incredibly boring on my computer already, that I can't see myself paying a whopping $15 for the mobile version. If it had been $8 I would have probably jumped on.

Top Bottom