• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2013: Filled with unethical beverages, like Lipton Brisk Iced Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rlan

Beat me to it, time for some shilling! :p

Dress to impress with our brand new update to Fish Out Of Water! This free add-on is loaded with content, including costumes which change the way you play and a pro scoring system to challenge seasoned gamers! Read on for a full list of changes and don’t forget to tell your friends!

06.png

RAD COSTUMES
Use crystals to buy sweet outfits for your fishy friends! There are 12 to collect including Fancy Olympus, Lifesaver Errol and King Micro!

NEW ABILITIES
Each costume changes the way you play! Fly further, bounce higher and skip longer to achieve monster scores and wow the judges. Try them all to find the ultimate combination!

07.png

PRO SCORING SYSTEM
Looking for a tougher challenge? Too good for a measly 10? Then get excited! We’ve added a second scoring system to the game for an extra level of depth. Now you can score 100,000 or higher!

NEW LEADERBOARD
Sign in to Game Center to compare Pro Scores with your friends! Do you have what it takes to reach the number one spot? The time to find out is now!

MORE CONTROL
You can now hide scores from other players by disabling the game’s live feed. To do this, simply open the ‘Options’ menu and select ‘Disable Live Feed’.

08.png

Thanks for playing Fish Out Of Water! This update is the result of many great ideas from our awesome community. Keep the feedback coming and enjoy your summer!

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/fish-out-of-water!/id578467798?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

Shearie

Good news for fans of Ridiculous Fishing.

Vlambeer on Twitter said:
Today, the first update for Ridiculous Fishing will be hitting your iOS devices with all sorts of fixes and some new things. Get ready.

picked up bloodmasque. Seems to be just infinity blade with a bit more story and other stuff. the photo face thing is obviously the highlight here, and i can see some of the gameplay getting repetitive, but it does seem like there is a bunch to do.

It is quite odd the controls are the opposite of infinity blade in which you tap to attack, swipe to evade.

There also doesn't seem to be nearly as complex parry system as IB.

Only early on though, vampires seem pretty simple in attacks.

okno

Sky Tourist doesn't let you listen to your own music, even after turning the in-game music off. Why is this still a thing? I only game on my commutes, and I rarely enjoy in-game music, total buzzkill for this morning.

Sky Tourist doesn't let you listen to your own music, even after turning the in-game music off. Why is this still a thing? I only game on my commutes, and I rarely enjoy in-game music, total buzzkill for this morning.

That's why I have an iPod for music and an iPhone for games (or Kindle for reading).

MultiSystem For Life!!!

;D

SmokyDave

I must be missing something with Sky Tourist. I watched a 30 minute gameplay 'trailer' and it looked boring as fuck. It was just some painfully slow vertical puzzle level thingy with a rocket each side of the screen and a little space-dude suspended between 'em. It looked so slow though. So slow.

Tempted by Bloodmasque, but only because I want to plant my fizzog in the game.

I must be missing something with Sky Tourist. I watched a 30 minute gameplay 'trailer' and it looked boring as fuck. It was just some painfully slow vertical puzzle level thingy with a rocket each side of the screen and a little space-dude suspended between 'em. It looked so slow though. So slow.

Tempted by Bloodmasque, but only because I want to plant my fizzog in the game.

its worth $7 for that alone (gameplay isn't as tight as infinity blade). You also can do the puzzle & dragon style recruit some other players for a mission type of dealy which i do mostly to see their mugs.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

DukeSucks

Thinking about getting Frozen Synapse while it's on sale. Does it run ok on iPad 2? Easy to learn if I've never played it before?

heringer

Thinking about getting Frozen Synapse while it's on sale. Does it run ok on iPad 2? Easy to learn if I've never played it before?

Runs super smooth on iPad 2. At first it will look daunting and overly complex, but take a deep breath and dive in because it really isn't.

Just came back to recommend Hero's Way a second time. I've had a chance to get farther, and I can definitely say that there is no paywall in this game. I was worried it was goign to be like Battleland where you have to spend hundreds of dollars to progress after you get to a certain point, but I'm on the boss of the next to last area, about 10 hours in, and haven't spent a dime.

I'm really liking this game, I don't know if it's intentional or not but the game is really good at making you come up with interesting strategies to win against otherwise impossible odds. The boss of the second area was the best example of this, it's straight up impossible and you spend 10s of thousands of gold reviving until you figure out the trick, and then it becomes awesome.

If you liked Battleheart (note that Battleland != Battleheart), you should definitely try this out.

Gifting games in iTunes only works within the same region? Can someone from the US or UK gift someone a game cross region?

edit: nvm, found the answer.

you can't

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't think you're missing anything. I have the game, and it plain sucks. It looks great, but the controls restrict movement for absolutely no reason other than for novelty. A novelty that provides no advantage to just moving the character around by sliding the finger across the screen. Nothing in the gameplay of the game validates this type of control. Only way I can see this game maybe being good is if you play it with another person, so each controls one side of the screen, and you get that challenge of synchronizing movements between the two people. Even then I'd imagine it would get very boring very quickly.

Epcott

Just bought Deus Ex: The Fall, Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP, Air Mail, and Let's Golf 3... can't wait to play them.

What was that Animal Crossing clone that a fellow Gaffer is working on which is yet to be released? The graphics are very similar to AC and it looked amazing. I forgot the name and couldn't find the thread, but I wanted to bookmark and sub it.

Oh yeah, FYI, new Sims Freeplay update (which adds neighborhood visits) is game crashingly glitchy. Avoid at all costs.

Only have enough for a $0.99 game and I'm looking for a nice punishing (is there any other kind?) roguelike

1) Has to be playable on iPhone 4
2) Yes, I know about Ending. That's my default choice if I'm not interested by any recommendations

Okay...go! (And also maybe say why your choice is good too)

Finally got a Visa gift card. Any promising IOS Kickstarters? (And not just concepts but projects that would most likely be completed, that have updates that actually show progress)

SteveWD40

Only have enough for a $0.99 game and I'm looking for a nice punishing (is there any other kind?) roguelike

2) Yes, I know about Ending. That's my default choice if I'm not interested by any recommendations

Rogue Touch, I think it's that price and it's a pureblood Roguelike but with a tileset.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

This one I put in the OP. ;)

•Perfect blend of roguelike and brawler - Hit enemies in their stupid faces
•Endless Gameplay - Procedurally generated weapons, levels, and enemies that keep the action fresh until you die from thumb exhaustion
•Four game modes - Story mode, Insane Mode, Manic Mode, and Timed Sprint!
•Pets - They'll accompany you in battle and save your hide!
•Intuitive, fast-paced combat - Easy to learn, difficult to master. Dodge, block, stab, smash, and spin your way to victory!
•Five epic boss fights - Pursue Pete into the depths and bludgeon his mouth off

Asuma01

Neo Member

Nethack is free and the hardest rogue like there is!

I've also been playing 100 rogues. But it's not very hard so far.

ToxicAdam

Quadropus is my IOS GOTY so far.

--- // ---

Apple Store has Le Vamp as it's game of the week. I would urge you to check it out if you haven't completely burnt out on Endless Runner's yet. Great polish, great progression and the swipe mechanics of the game are just varied enough that it seperates itself from other endless runners.

Instead of just mindlessly pushing down your finger to make the little guy move, you have to do dozens and dozens of varied swipes and presses to keep progressing. It can get very frantic.

It kind of reminds me of Ski Safari in that it does a lot of the little things right, which adds up to a very nice, polished package overall. My only complaint is that the difficulty curve ramps up very quickly as you progress and makes it too hard to make deep runs. But that could just be a product of me not getting all the upgrades/powerups yet.

Link

PFD

A massive update for Pixel Defenders Puzzle just came out. Removed all IAPs, and added new mechanics and an undo button.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I don't know what I did/am doing wrong but I fell off the board like three times and gave up.

You're supposed to go down, falling down is the same as finishing the current level and teleporting down, except you take falling damage and don't get killing xp from clearing the previous level. It's a gamble, clear a level for xp or skip a difficult one for another..

So regarding roguelikes, I think I'm going to get Ending and download WazHack

This is what intrigued me on WazHack, from the Toucharcade review:
Right now, Emma the Frosty, my 11th level White Witch, is busy confounding a Roman Legion into fighting itself (and feeding their corpses to her pet wolf). She's invisible, regenerates mana like a mofo, and is rocking a turban with her +2 blessed Japanese Robe, courtesy of a Jinni and a Tengu respectively.

Any thoughts on WazHack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom