• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2015 | Apple bans the revolution

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm so pissed I can't transfer my DW save to iPhone.
It's really GLORIOUS there.

So far internet searches proved vain....does anyone know if there are any tricks to make iExplorer or any other program work with iOS 8.4 ?
The only ways to transfer saves on iOS 8.4 and above are with either iCloud or iTunes file sharing.

awp69

Ok. We all know Deathwatch and This War of Mine are the hot releases this week, but just wanted to change what may have sounded like a half-hearted recommendation for Impulse GP to highly recommended for racing fans, particularly futuristic ones. Played some more and it really is outstanding. The graphics are nice (even if not AG Drive quality), but it's the racing and mechanics that make the game. Fantastic sense of speed and tract design that seems to get better with each one I unlock.

PittaGAF

The only ways to transfer saves on iOS 8.4 and above are with either iCloud or iTunes file sharing.

Sigh :(
Going away for one week tomorrow (no iPad) and I wanted to attack Veteran difficulty.
Oh well...I'll replay from scratch on iPhone and possibly unlock even better Marines/Gear.

I do not know if it uses metal etc...but on iPhone 6 graphics is really outstanding (glow, reflections, glow, lighting, crispness are better than Air).
I need to see how it runs on Air 2.

Does the game still crashes for you?
There is no mp right now :( but I think you will love the SP campaign as you loved Hunters 2, and then some.

PittaGAF

Finished the tutorial. I'm enjoying it! It's not as slow as I expected. I have to say that WHQ had more striking visuals to me though. DW looks a little bland in comparison.

Regarding the slow thing...Rodeo is working on a speed up button anyway already.
Maybe next version already.

awp69

So Pitta, think it's better to beef up your skills/health or save XP for abilities? Was saving up being curious about the various abilities but already having some near death experiences, maybe that's not the right approach.

Also, love seeing iOS premium success stories. And Tengami got a whopping 90% of its revenue from iOS vs. it's releases on PC and Wii U. Incredible. The more stories like this get out there. The better chance we'll continue to get great premium gaming without letting F2P completely consume the App Store.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Tengami/news.asp?c=66557

PittaGAF

So Pitta, think it's better to beef up your skills/health or save XP for abilities? Was saving up being curious about the various abilities but already having some near death experiences, maybe that's not the right approach.

Also, love seeing iOS premium success stories. And Tengami got a whopping 90% of its revenue from iOS vs. it's releases on PC and Wii U. Incredible. The more stories like this get out there. The better chance we'll continue to get great premium gaming without letting F2P completely consume the App Store.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Tengami/news.asp?c=66557

My genral approach is pumping up accuracy first.
I look at skills only when I'm over 85% accuracy.
No use having awesome skills if you do not do any damage.
Also....you WILL die and its gutting wasting 7500 XP in the first missions.

On a unrelated note, VETERAN is fantastic.
Aliens have many skills too now...it's like a different more complete game.
It's amazing.
Also you unlock incredible stuff and gain much more retribution points.
You also die :)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Sigh :(
Going away for one week tomorrow (no iPad) and I wanted to attack Veteran difficulty.
Oh well...I'll replay from scratch on iPhone and possibly unlock even better Marines/Gear.

I do not know if it uses metal etc...but on iPhone 6 graphics is really outstanding (glow, reflections, glow, lighting, crispness are better than Air).
I need to see how it runs on Air 2.

Does the game still crashes for you?
There is no mp right now :( but I think you will love the SP campaign as you loved Hunters 2, and then some.

Yep still crashes on both my iPhone and iPad, I guess I'll have to wait for a patch.

Voidance

I was able to play some Deathwatch last night and, as a big fan of Warhammer Quest and the actual WH 40K game, I really enjoy it.

A key feature for me is iCloud saving. I can't haul my iPad to work, but I can game on my phone. Similarly, I don't want to game on my phone when I'm at home with my iPad. Hear my cry, Rodeo!

awp69

My genral approach is pumping up accuracy first.
I look at skills only when I'm over 85% accuracy.
No use having awesome skills if you do not do any damage.
Also....you WILL die and its gutting wasting 7500 XP in the first missions.

On a unrelated note, VETERAN is fantastic.
Aliens have many skills too now...it's like a different more complete game.
It's amazing.
Also you unlock incredible stuff and gain much more retribution points.
You also die :)

Thanks for the tip. Guess I'll focus on accuracy and maybe health. I've only played through the prologue and first part of Act 1. ALMOST lost two Marines just in that first part. Escaped by a hair with just a tiny, tiny amount of health left.

So you don't lose spent XP right? Thinking I should spend away until I feel comfortable sitting on XP longer for abilities.

Love the feeling of tension in this game. For some reason just have that feeling of dread that wasn't quite present in WQ.

awp69

Very odd but Kerosene's mech based RPG, Harvest HD, which looked impressive from its screenshots, has finally been rereleased on the App Store after being pulled shortly after its release almost a year and a half ago.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/the-harvest-3d-mech-rpg/id736169139?mt=8

What's even weirder is that it shows nothing in regards to being updated. Supposedly the game was a hot mess of bugs and low res graphics that came nowhere near the screenshots.

I'm curious if it was finally fixed. Looks like a game I could get into.

Catshade

Looks like app stores in certain region gets a new cheaper pricing tier. In my store (Indonesia), the lowest you can go is IDR 3000 or the equivalent of 25 cents. So, currently I got Badland, Shadowmatic, Bean Dreams, AND The Room 2 for the equivalent of $1. Suffice to say, my purchased list now starting to look like my Steam library; Backlogs, backlogs everywhere.

Oynox

I think that's a sale.

However, I noticed a lot of price reductions of 1€ for many high priced games lately. So you might have a point anyway.

awp69

Looks like app stores in certain region gets a new cheaper pricing tier. In my store (Indonesia), the lowest you can go is IDR 3000 or the equivalent of 25 cents. So, currently I got Badland, Shadowmatic, Bean Dreams, AND The Room 2 for the equivalent of $1. Suffice to say, my purchased list now starting to look like my Steam library; Backlogs, backlogs everywhere.

I think that's a sale.

However, I noticed a lot of price reductions of 1€ for many high priced games lately. So you might have a point anyway.

There is a sale on those games BUT I understand that changes are being made in certain countries to allow apps to be less than the $1 equivalent to make apps even cheaper in those economies.

So it seems to be a combination of both.

What's interesting is that Google Play has long allowed abnormal pricing with apps having sales for like $.10 or $.49 even in the US. But then again, they don't allow apps to be temporarily free either.

Not that I want either store to really have apps below the $.99 level. The race to the bottom is bad enough as it is.

What Apple is doing in other countries, though, seems to be more about the lower income levels of those countries and not to drive down the price of apps in general.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Family sharing - is there any way to set it up so that my kids can spend their own credit without needing to ask my permission? I put credit on my son's account but when he wanted to buy something it was still asking my permission - and then takes the credit from his account.

awp69

There's a game that I've had my eye on for a while called Redden and I find finally picked it up on Google Play with some credit from doing surveys. (It's also on iOS, of course)

Very stylish, cool runner/shooter. You basically control an arrow as it flies, avoiding obstacles, using skills to get through things, kill animals and the main target itself with extra points for headshots. May not sound like much, but if you are into runners with a bit of a twist with beautiful artwork, it's really good.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Family sharing - is there any way to set it up so that my kids can spend their own credit without needing to ask my permission? I put credit on my son's account but when he wanted to buy something it was still asking my permission - and then takes the credit from his account.

The way it's designed is so all purchases go through the organizer's account.

awp69

Guardian Sword, a match-3 RPG (line-drawing based), is doing a free before paid release. Free now. Will go to $2.99.

Sounds interesting in that it may be like Card Crawl in that you can creat your own set of tiles for the puzzles.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id589760934

Edit: And it's very good! There are comsumable IAPs but it doesn't appear that you'll need them. However, I might pick up one to help the dev out considering the free release. I haven't yet gotten to the point where you can customize tiles yet. But it's very polished and fun to play. Not going to replace Hero Emblems as far as the best match 3 RPG, but certainly better than the F2P Puzzles & Dragons and it's endless clones.

------

Also on the match 3 front, Puzzle Craft 2 has released for soft launch in NZ and CA. Sadly F2P but hoping it is freemium done right.

Guardian Sword, a match-3 RPG (line-drawing based), is doing a free before paid release. Free now. Will go to $2.99.

Sounds interesting in that it may be like Card Crawl in that you can creat your own set of tiles for the puzzles.

Edit: And it's very good! There are comsumable IAPs but it doesn't appear that you'll need them. However, I might pick up one to help the dev out considering the free release. I haven't yet gotten to the point where you can customize tiles yet. But it's very polished and fun to play. Not going to replace Hero Emblems as far as the best match 3 RPG, but certainly better than the F2P Puzzles & Dragons and it's endless clones.

------

Also on the match 3 front, Puzzle Craft 2 has released for soft launch in NZ and CA. Sadly F2P but hoping it is freemium done right.
Eh, it's okay. In the wake of Hero Emblems, games like this seem to pale in comparison.

In other words, it's fun and not stuffed with excessive F2P elements, but why play this when Hero Emblems is the superior option in every way

awp69

Eh, it's okay. In the wake of Hero Emblems, games like this seem to pale in comparison.

In other words, it's fun and not stuffed with excessive F2P elements, but why play this when Hero Emblems is the superior option in every way

Agreed. It's a much more casual game. It will be hard for any match 3 RPG to compete with Hero Emblems. But it's a not a bad little diversion. I'd say it's actually pretty good if you just want to have fun.

There's so many battle match three type games but almost all of them are F2P. This, IMO, is a great alternative. Again, for less difficult, casual play.

Shaneus

Hah, I remember the original of that game. Was quite good, until an update killed all save games and the ending caused a bug which removed all progress (or something). Horrible way to do things when you have IAP.

Might check this one out, but I quickly deleted the original after all the issues people (including me) had.

FerranMG

I was excited when I read this, but then saw a video of the game an it really looks too much like the original.
I'm not sure if I can be bothered with the game if it has exactly the same gameplay.
Will check it out when it releases, but so far my interest diminished quite a bit. :(

PittaGAF

Deathwatch.

Owen was pleased:

Review:
http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-deathwatch-tyranid-invasion/

Review add on:
http://www.pockettactics.com/sunday-almanac/sunday-almanac-deathwatch-talking-points-edition/

Playing the game now on iPhone 6 (away from home).
The number of graphical details are amazing...down to blinking weapon lights you see only with certain angles.
I love playing top down and slightly angled then I zoom in and make angle iso where I think the action will be....often is a really cinematic experience.
I love it.

heringer

Today I discovered the sequel to a game I used to love is on iOS.

Hero Fighter X is a sequel to Little Fighters 2, a freeware PC game that was fairly popular back in 99.

It's a brawler/beat n up with a fairly deep fighting system, responsive controls and over 20 fighters to play with very different movesets. Don't be fooled by the simplistic artsyle, the game is a very competent brawler. There's a lot of content and a good variety of modes, like 1x1, 2x2 or stages with plenty of mobs and bosses for you to defeat while you unlock and level up characters. Tons of fun.

The only problem is that it can get a little hard to keep up with the fast action if you are not used to virtual controls.

The game is free to try with a $5.99 to unlock. No harm in trying, right? Game is also available on Google Play.

https://itunes.apple.com/br/app/hero-fighter-x/id953435594?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

screen480x480.jpeg

Today I discovered the sequel to a game I used to love is on iOS.

Hero Fighter X is a sequel to Little Fighters 2, a freeware PC game that was fairly popular back in 99.

It's a brawler/beat n up with a fairly deep fighting system, responsive controls and over 20 fighters to play with very different movesets. Don't be fooled by the simplistic artsyle, the game is a very competent brawler. There's a lot of content and a good variety of modes, like 1x1, 2x2 or stages with plenty of mobs and bosses for you to defeat while you unlock and level up characters. Tons of fun.

The only problem is that it can get a little hard to keep up with the fast action if you are not used to virtual controls.

The game is free to try with a $5.99 to unlock. No harm in trying, right? Game is also available on Google Play.

https://itunes.apple.com/br/app/hero-fighter-x/id953435594?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

screen480x480.jpeg
This is excellent. Really enjoying it

Edit: using a Referral code from friends earns you a 3-star hero
If anyone else downloads the game, here's my code:

okno

------

Been playing Guardian Sword for a day now and have to say that I really, really, really don't like it. The art style is VERY off-putting for me, the game's UI is pretty horrible in that tapping on something doesn't pop up a description window (ex: when fighting an enemy, it starts to use a skill it has. Tapping on the skill name pop up that appears does nothing. Tapping on the enemy gives you nothing. Tapping on anything just does not do anything). It's also incredibly shallow, but maybe I just haven't gotten far enough for it to become interesting. I'm just finding it incredibly difficult to give even the slightest bit of crap about this game.

awp69

Been playing Guardian Sword for a day now and have to say that I really, really, really don't like it. The art style is VERY off-putting for me, the game's UI is pretty horrible in that tapping on something doesn't pop up a description window (ex: when fighting an enemy, it starts to use a skill it has. Tapping on the skill name pop up that appears does nothing. Tapping on the enemy gives you nothing. Tapping on anything just does not do anything). It's also incredibly shallow, but maybe I just haven't gotten far enough for it to become interesting. I'm just finding it incredibly difficult to give even the slightest bit of crap about this game.

Guess it's not for everyone. It is much more casual than Hero Emblems, for sure. I'm enjoying it for what it is but glad you and More_Badass were at least able to try it while it was free.

awp69

Star Wars: Uprising (F2P RPG) has soft launched in NZ. Not too hopeful with Kabam at the helm. Also don't have room to check it out (500 MB download, not sure of the install size).

Edit: I lied. :)

Decided to temporarily delete a game with iCloud to see what this is about. It's 865 MB. Only played up until the first "boss", but seems okay. Kind of a standard Han Solo-ish story about carrying cargo for bad guys so far. Tap to move and shoot, with a little aiming system for wider strikes that seems to have a cool down period. Isometric view. Loot to find. Doesn't look incredibly deep.

IAPs are for currency and range from $4.99 to $99.99. Don't see any energy meters or the like from the little I've played so we'll see. Other than the music, Star Destroyer cut scene and the Star Wars scrolling intro, I'm not getting a huge nostalgic feel from the game. Seems like it could be any standard sci-fi game. Probably closer to the Rebels series, but I thought when this was announced it was supposed to be more in line with the films.

Not overly excited, but may not be quite as bad as I thought. I'll give it some time to show its true colors.

Li Kao

It's really impressive how much the graphics have progressed since the first game

Any idea why Cally's Cave 1 is not on the store anymore ? I would have liked to check the original.

The constant barrage of games these last few weeks have really tempted me to buy an Air 2.
705 bucks though... :-/

awp69

Any idea why Cally's Cave 1 is not on the store anymore ? I would have liked to check the original.

The constant barrage of games these last few weeks have really tempted me to buy an Air 2.
705 bucks though... :-/

I was curious about that too. I have it in my download history though. It was OK but think 2 (and probably 3) are more worth the time and not necessary to play 1 for the story.

Li Kao

Oh, from the Toucharcade forums :
"yeah I'm not sure why it's not on the NZ store yet, but if i'll hit the manual release at 11:59 just to be sure! We did pull down Cally's Caves 1 just temporarily, as it had some bad bugs we didn't have time to address during the CC3 dev cycle. It will be back up soon!"

Ok, useful info from the TA forums, I've seen it all.

awp69

Wait... a reboot that isn't a stupid, blatant cash-in? Hopefully it has MFi support but even if not, I'm going to get it for sure. Need to support more of this over the shitty IAP practices of other pubs.

And I am shocked that it only has an ad removal IAP.

Shaneus

And I am shocked that it only has an ad removal IAP.
Absolutely. How other publishers don't do this, I'll never know.
For comparison, let's look at Tetris (THAT THEY STILL CHARGE $1 FOR):
GREhl69.png

And Pac-Man:
6ZjgCUG.png

Edit: Correction, there's also gem doubler IAP in Qbert. But that's only for the new game thing, which is kind of shit TBH (hexagons?). Worth it for the original Qbert, though.

awp69

Not sure how far you got, but I see that things expand as you get further. For instance, you can tap on an enemy's icon before battle, but the game is a little backwards in that it verrrry slowly introduces things. I literally just came across a tutorial on viewing an enemy's stats and skills and this is after about three full maps of battles, including a boss, and some pretty tough enemies.

Also, not sure if you got to the point where you also learn skills and, eventually, you'll have to choose which ones you want to bring into battle.

It's actually got more too it than what's on the surface. It's still not even close to as deep or as story oriented as Hero Emblems, but I honestly think it may be my second favorite in the genre (a very distant second, mind you).

I can't stand Puzzles & Dragons type games. I also, honestly started to get bored with other RPG type games using the line drawing mechanic. But this one has me at least wanting to occassionally play.

It could use some fixes like a better mix of tiles when they drop. Too often I get a ton of one type and little of another.

Picsoft (who also did Tiny Defense) seems dedicated to making it better though.

Looking at those "other" forums though, it does seem to be a love it or hate it kind of game.

Checked a few of the old iOS gaming threads and don't see any mention of it, so I figured I'll throw in my recommendation for Dragon Blaze. It's been out about 2 months now, has a pretty active OT here on NeoGAF too.

Check it out if you like F2P games. I have to say the production quality of this game is much higher than you would expect for a studio that nobody's ever heard of and with such a lame title, and the pace of new content is really good.

As the OT title hints at, you will immediately be reminded of Dragon's Crown.

Top Bottom