• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2014: We didn't even know this was releasing on iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah, just saw the "important notice" on Ghost Trick's info that says that "functionality is not guaranteed on devices that are updated to iOS 8.". I beat the iOS port long ago but this still sucks.

Things aren't sounding so good even with Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies which is like... 3 months old:

** iOS 8, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus Compatibility (10/6/2014 Update) **

This game is now iOS 8 compatible.

We are still currently in the process of testing for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus compatibility, and cannot guarantee that the game will play properly on those devices until we have concluded our testing. In addition, depending on your device's setup, we can make no guarantees that this game will work properly in every instance, even after we have conclude our testing. Thank you for your understanding.

I'm on the third case in AA, I'll speed up the pace and beat it already. Even though I don't have a 6 or a 6+ I don't want to risk it kicking the bucket because of a future update before I'm done with it. Pretty annoying that these games are becoming time bombs, I know that was sort of always the case but still.

Just called my brother to tell him to not update his iPad 3 from iOS 7, it's his only Apple device and there's not much on 8 he'd be using anyway. He bought the thing used from my mother also thinking about the games and I've been installing a lot from my account for him, including Ghost Trick.

Li Kao

Just tried again and it's still working for me. Is yours a fresh install? Mine was restored from an iTunes backup with all the purchases still active.

Yup, fresh install, as I deleted it before trying and so reinstalled the game in order to check. I made a thread about the absence of iOS8 fix from Square and Capcom and... not a fuck was given. Which is worrying because either I have said something really stupid or no one care about "old" games.
But you make me doubt, I should try to restore my purchase of the IAP and try again. For information - Ipad 4, iOS8, shit ton of bookmarks open in Safari but I closed it and only had the game running.

On another note, two soft launches on the Canadian Appstore, Seabeard and Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Generation. Why did I never made an account there ? :-S

Edit - Lol ok, the game crash when you touch 'restore purchase'.

PFD

Please understand.

Anyway, have been busting out loads of old classics since getting this 64g iPad - want to make special mention of a game I doubt most of you have played called Forget.Me.Not. It's basically pac man crossed with a roguelike set in a bleepy bloopy neon hell of mazes filled with a variety of enemies. I've recently become re-addicted to it, it's one of those games that's very simple but also has some complex underlying mechanics and I find I'm enjoying it more than most new "arcade" games I see on iOS.

Also, Gridrunner might be the best shooter ever.
I remember playing forget.me.not in 2011. Great game, and I believe it had same device multiplayer on ipad if I'm not mistaken

Please understand.

Anyway, have been busting out loads of old classics since getting this 64g iPad - want to make special mention of a game I doubt most of you have played called Forget.Me.Not. It's basically pac man crossed with a roguelike set in a bleepy bloopy neon hell of mazes filled with a variety of enemies. I've recently become re-addicted to it, it's one of those games that's very simple but also has some complex underlying mechanics and I find I'm enjoying it more than most new "arcade" games I see on iOS.

Also, Gridrunner might be the best shooter ever.
+1 for forget.me.not

I finally got the game over the summer and it was one of those "Why the hell did I wait so long to get this" moments

Sounds like I need to check out Gridrunner. That's some high praise.

ugh

so anyone that upgraded phones recently what's the deal with Ghost Trick. I tried to redownload my purchase from when t was 99c and now the app just crashes

edit: lol now it just crashes on opening
Yeah, it sucks, I read people having the same problems on reviews. I still haven't updated to 8 yet because Square refuses to fix TWEWY (they probably never will either even though they've acknowledged it).

killercow

The iPad Air 2 is such a beast. It handles Modern Combat 5 at full 60fps and that's even in multiplayer where, with the first iPad Air, it could go as low as 10-15 fps. And those two gigs of ram are a real gamechanger. I can finally have more than one tab open on safari and I can leave my games in the background without worrying about them shutting down.

Apath

Man, Retry is really great. A perfect blend of that old helicopter mouse click game and bite-sized levels. Pretty challenging too, even after getting the hang of the controls and how the plane maneuvers.

Also, does anyone know how to disable Game Center?

RETRY is so well executed. ROVIO is really impressing me with their output lately.
I love it. Been playing it for a while, since it was soft launched, and I say it's the "Trials" of one touch games. Like Trials, this is a game of skill and precision, of extreme challenge, and well crafted hard-as-hell levels. I love how you to practice and perfect your movement, hill climbing, loops, etc. It's so varied and tough and rewarding. The F2P style is very fair; I was shocked to learn that checkpoints you unlock persist even if you play other levels

awp69

Agree with everyone on Retry. Have to say it's my favorite Rovio-published game (even thought I reluctantly admit to liking Angry Birds Star Wars and the Rovio Stars Tiny Thief, which I thankfully still have a premium version of on Android).

Also, wanted to come back and say that A Few Days Later has grown on me. The controls still could use work but I've gotten used to them. And I'm enjoying the variety and story line. Not an easy game, but if they tweaked the controls or at least gave some secondary options, I'd recommend it.

Had a thought, do you think it would be worth rebooting that "Why IOS Rocks" thread? There was interest in the thread and people were asking for OP updates. I wouldn't mind starting and maintaining a thread like that; I've been maintaining the Kickstarter 2014 thread since February

I'll take a wild guess that some fans of Shadow Blade here? If so, you guys should check out the PC version. The devs have been doing a devlog on TIGForum and the PC version is a big expansion of the mobile game. New mechanics, new levels, new enemies, level editor

Here's the devlog
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=42968.0

Some concept art
H97XJxH.jpg

awp69

I'll take a wild guess that some fans of Shadow Blade here? If so, you guys should check out the PC version. The devs have been doing devlog on TIGForum and the PC version is a big expansion of the mobile game. New mechanics, new levels, new enemies, level editor

Here's the devlog
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=42968.0

Some concept art
H97XJxH.jpg

Damn. It would be awesome if they could bring all that new stuff to the mobile version. Even as a sequel or paid DLC.

Had a thought, do you think it would be worth rebooting that "Why IOS Rocks" thread? There was interest in the thread and people were asking for OP updates. I wouldn't mind starting and maintaining a thread like that; I've been maintaining the Kickstarter 2014 thread since February

yeah, do it

numble

Please highlight Metal games, I think people would be interested in that, unless the only games are the ones listed on the Metal section of the App Store.

Heel

Why iOS is GLORIOUS

Corgi

Banned
san andreas is updated for new phones and still on sale for $4.

has controller support too... decisions decisions.

still... ive learned the mistake of buying the other GTA's on mobile and never playing them much lol.

think ill just get 80 days. really seems like my thing after readin impressions in OT.
Oh, see, you left out that detail :p
Yes, GTA SA or 80 Days, I'd go with the latter. As much as I love San Andreas and love that I can play that game on the go, 80 Days is the better mobile game. It's a great game regardless of platform, but as a mobile game, it plays to the strengths of the IOS platform better than a GTA port.

Corgi

Banned
Yes, GTA SA or 80 Days, I'd go with the latter. As much as I love San Andreas and love that I play that game on the go, 80 Days is the better mobile game. It's a great game regardless of platform, but as a mobile game, it plays to the strengths of the IOS platform better than a GTA port.
i also never really enjoyed SA that much. its hell of ambitious with the rpg lite stuff and everything, but it hurt the overall product vs vice city.

putermcgee

still... ive learned the mistake of buying the other GTA's on mobile and never playing them much lol.

think ill just get 80 days. really seems like my thing after readin impressions in OT.

Yes, GTA SA or 80 Days, I'd go with the latter. As much as I love San Andreas and love that I play that game on the go, 80 Days is the better mobile game. It's a great game regardless of platform, but as a mobile game, it plays to the strengths of the IOS platform better than a GTA port.
If anyone's worried about getting GTA SA and not playing it enough, I'd recommend downloading this 100% clear save file. That way, you can just do your thing, running around, jacking cars, going on a rampage, accessing anywhere in the game, and not have to spend a ton of time. This is especially good for those who have played it before, and just want to play.
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=3082968&postcount=1

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Is anyone aware of how to delete Game Centre trophies and games from there if you don't have the app installed on the phone?
As far as I know the only way is to reinstall the App, then when you delete it again it asks if you want to remove the Game Center data.

Wait is FFT, World Ends with You, and FFVI broken on iOS 8?
Of those, only TWEWY is confirmed to have issues. I haven't bough FFVI yet but FFT is working fine on my devices with iOS 8.

Li Kao

Please do. You are a man with great tastes and with the stunning amount of new releases each week there will always be a need for a best of thread.

Okay, here are the games I can think of off the top of my head and browsing through my purchase history
- What do you think of what's here so far?
- Any games you think should be added or removed?
Action
A Ride Into The Mountains
Bastion
Block Fortress
Bug Heroes 2
Crimsonland
Danmaku Unlimited 1/2
Deus Ex: The Fall
Futuridium EP
Glorkian Warrior
Heroes & Castles
Inferno 2
Infinity Blade series
Modern Combat 5
Ninjin
Phoenix HD
Sky Force
Starborn Anarkist
Super Crossfighter
Ziggurat

Adventure
Botanicula
Broken Age
Device 6
Gemini Rue
Machinarium
Republique
Superbrothers
Tengami
The Room series
The Silent Age
The Walking Dead
Tiny Thief
Valiant Hearts
Waking Mars
Wolf Among Us
Year Walk

Arcade
1001 Attempts
Boson X
Canabalt
cyro
Dextris
Don't Shoot Yourself
Duet
forget.me.not
Groundskeeper 2
Helix
Hundreds
Impossible Road
Into The Dead
Only One
Pivvot
Polara
Primal Flame
Retry
Ridiculous Fishing
Ronin
Savant: Ascent
Slayin
Solipskier
Spirit
Super Hexagon
Time Surfer
Tilt to Live series
Unpossible
Wave Wave
Worm Run

Interactive Fiction
80 Days
A Dark Room
Heavy Metal Thunder
Lone Wolf
Out There
Sorcery 1/2

Platformer
14px
Another World
Badland
Bitless
Cally's Caves 2
Commander Pixman
Edge Extended
Fancy Pants Adventure
Freedom Fall
Goblin Sword
Granny Smith
Hero of Many
Incoboto
Kero Blaster/Pink Hour
Krashlander
League of Evil series
Leo's Fortune
Limbo
Mikey series
Mines of Mars
Mini Dash
Mutant Mudds
Nihilumbra
Penumbear
Perfect Cell
Rahman Jungle Run/Rayman Fiesta Run
Shadow Blade
Shantae Risky's Revenge
Skullduggery
Stealth Inc
The Last Rocket
They Need To Be Fed series
Traps N Gemstones
Type:Rider
VVVVVV

Puzzle
99 Bricks
Beat Sneak Bandit
Biosis
Blast-A-Way
Blek
Clarc
Darkin
Gesundheit
Helsing's Fire
Hitman Go
Icebreaker
Incredipede
Instantion
Interlocked
Kami
Kiwanuka
Lightlands
Luna
Membrane
Monsters Ate My Birthday Cake
Monument Valley
Perfect Paths
Quell Memento
Qvoid
Singular
Split!
Strata
Sushi Snake
Threes
Trainyard

Racing
Asphalt 8
Jet Car Stunts 2
Reckless Getaway
Reckless Racing series
Repulze
Skyriders

RPG
Baldur's Gate
Battleheart/Battleheart Legacy
Chaos Ring
Deep Dungeons of Doom
Isle of Bxnes
King of Dragon Pass
Knights of Pen & Paper
KOTOR
Mage Gauntlet
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Oceanhorn
Phantom Rift
Solomon's Keep/Solomon's Boneyard
Sword & Glory
Swordigo
Wayward Souls

Strategy
868-Hack
Aliens vs Humans
Anomaly series
Autumn Dynasty series
Block Fortress War
Breach & Clear
Calculords
Carcassonne
Desert Fox
Drive on Moscow
Elder Sign Omens
Empire
FTL
Hearthstone
Hoplite
Hunters 1/2
Lost Cities
Panzer Corps
Plague Inc
Starbase Orion
Star Realms
Tactics Maiden
Talisman
The Banner Saga
The Nightmare Cooperative
Warhammer Quest
XCOM Enemy Unknown

Matt Frost

^^^ That list would be pretty much mine if it includes:

Worm Run, my favorite runner ever, Darkin, Time Surfer and Impossible Road in the arcade category...

Waking Mars on the Adventure category...

Gesundheit and Blast-A-Way on the puzzle one.

and finally Splot on the racing category. ^^^

Corgi

Banned
Okay, here are the games I can think of off the top of my head and browsing through my purchase history
- What do you think of what's here so far?
- Any games you think should be added or removed?
I liked modern combat 4 more than 5 in terms of mp maps.

You forgot the original batteheart! Such a classic.

Rayman runners are great too.

JCho133

Remove Ninjin because it sucks.

Move Don't Shoot Yourself to Arcade

Add Shantae Risky's Revenge into platformers

Add Chaos Rings to RPG

Remove Ninjin because it sucks.

Move Don't Shoot Yourself to Arcade

Add Shantae Risky's Revenge into platformers

Add Chaos Rings to RPG
Lies! Blasphemy! Madness! :p

Sure you played the right Ninjin? Game is awesome IMO, I had even asked Shaun over at Toucharcade to review it because it was really overlooked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom