• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2015 | GOing back to school with a backlog

Matt Frost

iOS 9.1 is pretty good, runs so smooth with no problems at all so far. And have new Emoji that I cant use since I am the only one to have it within my friends, but still... Nice, Apple, really nice iOS :)

Just FYI, Calvino Noir just got another great update....improved behaviors (game is a lot easier now but more fluid and maybe more enjoyable from 'new' generations) and a great 'link characters' button (you can now move them together...very useful in some maps).
How much are the other chapters?

The very cool Tile Rider is releasing this month
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPYbza88bxY
hxglflD.jpg

Tiny Guardians is pretty cool. The Kingdom Rush-ness is a bit much, but the gameplay is unique and fun. Feels more like a RTS-lite rather than tower defense

awp69

Tiny Guardians is pretty cool. The Kingdom Rush-ness is a bit much, but the gameplay is unique and fun. Feels more like a RTS-lite rather than tower defense

Yeah, I wish the dev had gone in a different direction on the artwork. A lot of people will probably look at the screenshots and immediately dismiss it as a KR knockoff. And that's ashame because it is far from being that and people will miss out on a quite unique game.

Yeah, I wish the dev had gone in a different direction on the artwork. A lot of people will probably look at the screenshots and immediately dismiss it as a KR knockoff. And that's ashame because it is far from being that and people will miss out on a quite unique game.
Yeah, that's why I initially overlooked it. But glad I picked it up, much better than I had anticipated

Yeah, I picked it up on my android phone at the impressions from the previous page and it seems like a really solid game after the few levels I've played, especially for only a $1.

I hope it last a decent length of time and has good replay value like the Kingdom Rush games, those are probably my most played mobile games across my iPad and Android phone.

awp69

Yeah, I picked it up on my android phone at the impressions from the previous page and it seems like a really solid game after the few levels I've played, especially for only a $1.

I hope it last a decent length of time and has good replay value like the Kingdom Rush games, those are probably my most played mobile games across my iPad and Android phone.

I haven't finished it yet to know length, but I read that the dev will be releasing new levels later this year for free.

Xenoflare

If update my 6 to the iOS 9 GM would I still receive regular OTA updates? What are the differences between GM and the actual release? It seems like the difference is none

SyNapSe

Tiny Guardians sounds like it'd be up my alley. I'll grab it when I get back home later. Thanks for the reviews all

awp69

Has anyone played that Noodlecake rouguelike arcade shmup/shooter Shooting Stars?

Shooting Stars! by Noodlecake Studios Inc
https://appsto.re/us/mUsO7.i

I did. It's fun and quirky. But to be honest, it didn't hold my attention long. I deleted it in favor of Beat da Beat, which at least for me is more fun and love the music.

Doesn't help that I have Operation Dracula, Galactic Nemesis and Dandy in my rotation too.

I did. It's fun and quirky. But to be honest, it didn't hold my attention long. I deleted it in favor of Beat da Beat, which at least for me is more fun and love the music.

Doesn't help that I have Operation Dracula, Galactic Nemesis and Dandy in my rotation too.
Is Dracula worth the $8? Seems to have an average rating on the App Store

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Old game question.

If I buy the IAP expansions for Warhammer Quest on my iPad, do they transfer over to any iDevice? I think the app is universal so I assume so?

Matt Frost

I am starting to fully comprehend The Deer God and I am starting to love it altogether...

Didnt hold my attention for long either. I found it to be way too random, meaning it was or boring or too frenetic, didn't find the balance in between. Also the sense of humor was awful. Dandy is better (I dont have the others).

awp69

Is Dracula worth the $8? Seems to have an average rating on the App Store

I got it when it during it's launch sale for $4.99. I like it for the crazy 80s/90s vibe it has. Not sure if it's quite worth $8, but I haven't regretted my purchase.

As far a shmups go, the Cave games are worth more when you get up in that price range.

I just dig the art style, over the top voice and sound effects. Gives me thaf feeling of being back in an arcade growing up.

Edit: Wow. There's some brutal reviews on the App Store. I will say it is very hard so can't disagree with that criticism. But wouldn't go as far as saying I don't enjoy it. Probably a 4/5 for me.

PittaGAF

Old game question.

If I buy the IAP expansions for Warhammer Quest on my iPad, do they transfer over to any iDevice? I think the app is universal so I assume so?

Yes...Just press restore purchase on the other iOS devices.
Progress is synced too.

Jawmuncher

I'm so sad iOS gaf. I was enjoying Jurassic World for quick little breaks, but now I am in a point of no more progresses unless I spend a lot of money. All because I was playing frugally and updated some big items before the game told me to do it. Now i'm back on the prowl for something good to play for quick bursts on break. I have Hero Emblems, but even on easy i'm not a fan of the difficulty even on easy. Going to check out some of the games in the OP. Just wanted to vent.

I'm so sad iOS gaf. I was enjoying Jurassic World for quick little breaks, but now I am in a point of no more progresses unless I spend a lot of money. All because I was playing frugally and updated some big items before the game told me to do it. Now i'm back on the prowl for something good to play for quick bursts on break. I have Hero Emblems, but even on easy i'm not a fan of the difficulty even on easy. Going to check out some of the games in the OP. Just wanted to vent.
Check out Card Crawl. It has become my go-to quick break game. A round takes a few minutes, it's 100% premium, there's a lot on unlockables
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/card-crawl/id950955524?mt=8

okno

I'll take a look at this. I do like card games.

Blocky Highway is fun. Cute game. I just don't know how many more of these type of games I can take anymore. It's all the same thing, with slightly different gameplay: dodge the bad things, collect the coins, buy new skins. It's fun and a good toilet time distraction, but urgh...

Still, the game is a little more unique in its gameplay and I'll keep coming back for a little longer. Just can't take many more voxel graphic Crossy Road-likes.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yes...Just press restore purchase on the other iOS devices.
Progress is synced too.

Awesome, thanks.

I'm trying to convince myself to go buy an iPad Air 2 right now, but I'm worried that they will be announcing an update to the Air soon. I know the Pro is the big "announcement", but Apple is weird like that. I mean, as long as the Air 2 wouldn't be defunct anytime soon, I'd be content. But for example, Warhammer Deathwatch is unplayable on my measly little iPad 2. I don't imagine the Air 2 will be incapable of gaming soon, but it goes through your mind before a big purchase...

Shearie

Awesome, thanks.

I'm trying to convince myself to go buy an iPad Air 2 right now, but I'm worried that they will be announcing an update to the Air soon. I know the Pro is the big "announcement", but Apple is weird like that. I mean, as long as the Air 2 wouldn't be defunct anytime soon, I'd be content. But for example, Warhammer Deathwatch is unplayable on my measly little iPad 2. I don't imagine the Air 2 will be incapable of gaming soon, but it goes through your mind before a big purchase...

I went from a mini 3 to an Air 2 in July thinking there was going to be an update sometime in October and didn't regret it one bit because it's so great. Obviously I lucked out a bit since they're actually not going to update until sometime early next year, so if I was in your shoes I would just go ahead and get the Air 2 because it's going to be quite a bit of a wait until then.

SeanR1221

How's Puzzle Craft 2? I loved the first one. Is it manageable or does it become a unless you spend money you're screwed kind of game?

JCho133

How's Puzzle Craft 2? I loved the first one. Is it manageable or does it become a unless you spend money you're screwed kind of game?

Pretty smooth so far. Sometimes you run out of gold to farm but basically you just close the game and by the time you get the urge to play again you'll have taxes to collect. Not that bad if you ask me.

Building is 100% instant and that's all I wanted. I reaaaally feared that they'd put it building timers which would have killed the game

I was reading Pocket Tactics' new article on the KoDP successor Six Ages, and I was surprised to learn that the mobile version of KoDP sold much much better on mobile than the original desktop version. That seems like a rare occurrence

Are there any good free to play games on the iPhone that will let me listen to stuff while I play them? I like to listen to podcasts while I play games, but several of the games I've downloaded recently pause what I'm listening to once I start them up.

I never have any of these problems, are you using headphones with a mic? If so, just hit the button on the mic, and your music/podcasts should continue.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I went from a mini 3 to an Air 2 in July thinking there was going to be an update sometime in October and didn't regret it one bit because it's so great. Obviously I lucked out a bit since they're actually not going to update until sometime early next year, so if I was in your shoes I would just go ahead and get the Air 2 because it's going to be quite a bit of a wait until then.

Yeah, this is a fair point. I may be upgrading to an Air 2 today then. I wish 32 was the base, but I may just have to bite the bullet and get the 64.

killercow

Yeah, this is a fair point. I may be upgrading to an Air 2 today then. I wish 32 was the base, but I may just have to bite the bullet and get the 64.

16 is way too small for gaming. Don't do it and go with the 64gb. And yeah, Apple's still cheap when it comes to storage..

JCho133

I'm having some trouble understanding Dandy.

Befpre you start a game, you're given 3 powerups to shoot, but when you shoot one they all just get sucked into the statue.

Do you earn this powerup? Or does it come into play later?

kiguel182

Yeah, 32 not being the base is really ridiculous.

I bought a Mini a couple of days ago and had to go for the 64 even if I'm not even sure I'll ever use half of that. but 16 is just too low.

JCho133

Everyone that has a Canadian account needs to go download Storm Casters Ultra. It's a huge improvement over the original.

It's the same base game, just has more cards, a bit more of a story, and is bug free.

Balance remains the same and am having zero problems with it whatsoever. Only difference is you earn Warp Stones a little slower but it doesn't really matter because I'm earning loads of cards regardless.

Also for those unaware, this version is free and the original was $1.99

Everyone that has a Canadian account needs to go download Storm Casters Ultra. It's a huge improvement over the original.

It's the same base game, just has more cards, a bit more of a story, and is bug free.

Balance remains the same and am having zero problems with it whatsoever. Only difference is you earn Warp Stones a little slower but it doesn't really matter because I'm earning loads of cards regardless
Did they add timers or anything like that?

JCho133

Did they add timers or anything like that?

Nope like I said, pretty much identical just has more content.

The original game was already sorta balanced toward F2P, so they kept that balance and just added a few $2 "Ultra" card IAPs. These 4 cards can only be bought through IAP but they're completely uneccesary.

Also it gives you the option to watch a video to earn more gold, earn a chest, or revive yourself occasionally. The revive one is pretty uncommon from what I've seen.

I'm really really enjoying it, can't wait to see the other weapons they've added.

awp69

Nope like I said, pretty much identical just has more content.

The original game was already sorta balanced toward F2P, so they kept that balance and just added a few $2 "Ultra" card IAPs. These 4 cards can only be bought through IAP but they're completely uneccesary.

Also it gives you the option to watch a video to earn more gold, earn a chest, or revive yourself occasionally. The revive one is pretty uncommon from what I've seen.

I'm really really enjoying it, can't wait to see the other weapons they've added.

Might have to give it a try again. I wasn't happy to see it re-released at F2P - - not just because of the freemium conversion but also because I thought it was crappy for them to not fix the bugs in the original version and instead focus on this.

But I guess if the balance is still there, I should give it a shot.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I just spent like $30+ on all the Warhammer Quest DLC. Such a fun game to grind with. I know Hunters 2 is similar, but I'm looking for of these grindy SRPG games. Any others worth grabbing? I'm thinking about Deathwatch, but I've read a few really bummer things about the whole random packs of marines?

So I just spent like $30+ on all the Warhammer Quest DLC. Such a fun game to grind with. I know Hunters 2 is similar, but I'm looking for of these grindy SRPG games. Any others worth grabbing? I'm thinking about Deathwatch, but I've read a few really bummer things about the whole random packs of marines?
I haven't heard anything like that. If you think Hunters 2 looks good, definitely go for Deathwatch. It's a huge evolution and improvement on the Hunters gameplay.

If you're looking for a good SRPG, check out Tactics Maiden. Many here will agree that it's one of the best SRPGs on IOS.

Also check out The Banner Saga

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I haven't heard anything like that. If you think Hunters 2 looks good, definitely go for Deathwatch. It's a huge evolution and improvement on the Hunters gameplay.

If you're looking for a good SRPG, check out Tactics Maiden. Many here will agree that it's one of the best SRPGs on IOS.

Also check out The Banner Saga

Thanks for the suggestions.

As for DW, I was just reading that you have to buy packs for new marines and that rubs me weird. I don't know the mechanic, so I could just be reading into it wrong. If you can get all the stuff without paying for packs, I'm down. But if there's some dudes that are "super rare pulls" that I'll never see...

awp69

As for DW, I was just reading that you have to buy packs for new marines and that rubs me weird. I don't know the mechanic, so I could just be reading into it wrong. If you can get all the stuff without paying for packs, I'm down. But if there's some dudes that are "super rare pulls" that I'll never see...

You don't need to buy packs and even if you do there's no guarantee that you'll get what you want.

You can also sell Marines and equipment to buy packs. You also get a pack at the end of each act.

It's a tough game but no need to spend on IAPs.

I'd say it's my favorite SRPG.

Matt Frost

Damn I cant believe I hesitated to install Space Marshals... its pretty great! Controls are brilliant, I love how it shoots, so cool. The graphics are high end with shadows and glare, impressive for someone who is really used to 2D games. I like the way they handled cover, so easy and intuitive. And the base with the costumes are great, looking forward to creating an awesome space cowboy. Having a blast with it :D

Also, Tiny Guardians is great as well. Looks identical to Kingdom Rush (even the menus, map and the upgrades) but the gameplay itself is completely original, as fresh as it can be. Seems short but has iCloud and an update will come later this year so for a dollar is a steal. Two unexpected great games. And Hopiko is coming... :D

PittaGAF

It's a bit different.
Whenever you complete an Act and every 100 RP (you gain RP completing missions and selling stuff) you get a 'pack' that contains a random marine plus 2 items. One is guaranteed to be at least tier 2.
The higher the level you are playing, the higher the chance for higher tiers.
Everything is random, including the packs you buy (absolutely not necessary)...there is not any difference in what you might get.
You can finish the game without having everything anyway, because it's random.
But you can miss some tier 1 marines...and have all tier 4 marines...or vice versa....you can't say (higher tier marines are same as lower tier, just better and with additional skills).
I know people that completed the game (ie played the campaign for all 3 difficulty settings) and have everything, or like me...have just few tier 4 marines.
In the end..it doesn't matter anyway because you can complete everything with jus tier 1...actually I think most people (like me, especially if you do not like grinding) will complete the game with the marines they got initially and try new ones only after they completed the campaign.
If you are into grinding (personally I'm not, but I already had over 80 hours of enjoyment) it's like the perfect game...you have always something to try to get or someone to level up.
If you are OCD to get everything...well being random it might be not possible (it's like wanting to have every item in Diablo or every card in Heartstone...or things like that).
Some people actually unlocked everything tough.
The core of the game is not trying to get a particular marine (you could end just being frustrated) but trying to complete the game with what you have.
Higher tier marines have more skills over lower ones, but they require a lot of XP to actually get them, so they aren't automatically better.
A group of tier 1 marine, properly leveled and developed for maximum synergy are way better than 'plain' tier 4 marines...so in the end what matters is just your tactical ability.
Of course....unlocking all tier 4 marines during the normal campaign and developing them throu veteran and heroic....will make life a bit easier ending the game...but it's unlikely.
Personally I completed the game with tier 3 marines and 1 tier 4 (I have other tier 4 but didn't level them yet)

That said, for everything else, it's an awesome game...different from both Hunters and Warhammer Quest, tactically better than both.

Multiplayer and possibly more content is apparently imminent (weeks).
Can't wait.

Matt Frost

Tetrobot & Co
screen640x640.jpeg

This one was released at the beginning of the year and passed under everybody´s radar... sadly... as is a fresh and engaging puzzle game with great and easy controls. Every level is brilliant, different and some will really test your brain. Is the kind of game that is hard to explain but if you like beautiful smart innovative puzzles involving crates (many different types and much more) look no further than Tetrobot $ Co., a premium experience. It also has a little story going on. Will be on my GotY list without doubt. Best crate puzzle game on the AppStore. And is also on Android, Steam and WiiU with very positive rankings and reviews on both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-zFVBxqQ18
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/WESspRO2Kueoqy8-997IC8Lm-9jsbsqu
http://store.steampowered.com/app/235980
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SwingSwingSubmarine.TetrobotAndCo&hl=us

Top Bottom