• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2015 | GOing back to school with a backlog

uM6g9rg.jpg

4DE1THY.png

Each month, the iOS GAF community hosts a thread for new game releases, rumors and discussion that define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain recommended games that released during the previous month. All the games listed will have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

If you're a developer who wishes to have your game featured, please talk about your game in the thread and if the GAF community at large likes the game then your wish just might be granted. Please note that there's a difference between posting about a game you made and just advertising your game with no further interaction with the community, this thread is not for the latter and such advertising behavior is frowned upon.

Directory
1) Introduction & Recommended Games
2) Recommended Games continued
3) More Recommended Games
4) Upcoming Releases, Past Threads & Other Links

c9l3j0f.jpg

izwzueb.jpg

Site | Trailer | App Store
Lara Croft GO is a turn based puzzle-adventure set in a long-forgotten world. Explore the ruins of an ancient civilization, discover well-kept secrets and face deadly challenges as you uncover the myth of the Queen of Venom.
5GrA6Eb.png
2AJl7m9.jpg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Just finished Maze of Snakes.

Yeah, they pulled it off. Again.

I love how much the game rewards your familiarity with Hitman GO while still doing its own thing. I was the player that played each level of HGO three times to get all the objectives. It's weird to not be doing that again at first, but it feels really good to just keep moving here while you look for relics in the environments instead. The pacing is fantastic and it feels like it's introducing new stuff faster than HGO, too. Really glad they went this direction. The last room of Maze of Snakes was my first head scratcher and I felt smart once I got it.

And it's sooooo stylish. The music is great, just totally chill, and it's gorgeous. I love the simplicity of the graphics and i'm surprised and thrilled with the detail in the animations. It's small stuff, but Lara just looks so cool when she kicks over a switch or front flips over a ledge.

Definite GOTY contender for me. Possibly front runner.
Man this game is quite excellent. I never played Hitman Go, but the turn based puzzle setup this game has is really nice and provides some nice challenges while not being really frustrated (least not yet :p). The presentation is just absolutely wonderful, and helps make some top notch atmosphere, giving a great sense of isolation. It might not be a full ledge tomb raider game, but overall they really nailed the spirit of classic Tomb Raider, and it going to end up being one of my favorite Tomb Raider games for sure.
This is great. Low poly art in this is perfect, and I love how it's turn-based. The only mobile games I like are ones where precise realtime controls aren't required, this fits the bill.

Very elegant, and I love how it lost the board game trappings of Hitman Go. Less abstract is good for me. After 30 minutes I can say this is my second favorite mobile game of 2015 next to Contradiction.
Oh my God this game is great. It looks amazing, the interface is top notch and the music is great. The only bad thing is I'm halfway done with it!
Absolutely loving Lara Croft GO. I liked Hitman GO, but this really captures the feeling of a Tomb Raider game. Hitman was clever but next to this it's just so much more sterile. The dynamic environments and sound effects breathe a lot more life into this game.

Well done Square Enix. Well done

a2ir9n9.jpg

Galactic Keep is a sci-fi, tabletop-styled, role-playing game. Investigate exquisite maps in a richly described world, free to roam where you want, exploring at your own pace, for hours!
Choose your character, roll their stats and set out on your adventure! Play as feared pirates, weathered bounty hunters, battle-hardened warriors and mind-bending timemasters. Gain experience throughout your quest, level up and customize your character as you explore!
Discover hundreds of weapons, special attacks and items as you battle to complete your missions. Unlock a variety of hidden playable characters throughout the game!

screen1136x1136.jpeg
screen1136x1136.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Here are my impressions:

Gameplay in Galactic Keep revolves around exploration and combat, and it's all driven by rolling dice. The numbers you roll each turn indicates how many spaces you can move, the strength of your attack, and so on.

But that doesn't mean Galactic Keep is reliant on luck. You have four tactical options: attack, block, special, and items. Smart use of your skills and equipment is needed to survive as well. The combat is turn-based and there's an incredible amount of depth due to all the different weapons, items, and skills

Your human assassin may be able to disable robot enemies or pull off critical strikes that compound in damage with each attack. A machine class can have a bionic arm that boosts damage for X turns or a kinetic shield. A pirate can pickpocket and steal an item from an enemy. And so on

You can modify weapons, wield a vast array of grenades, guns, and melee weapons, use buffs and modifiers, and gain experience

Enemies have AI based on line of sight and other factors, so abilities like a pirate's cloaking suit can be useful out of combat as well

It's just brimming with atmosphere and fantastic writing. The environments, the exotic creatures and weapons, the items, every attack is brought to life with vivid descriptions and hand-drawn art. Excellent sound design only add to the immersion, with individual enemies, attacks, abilities, and weapons all having unique sound effects.

Well I put about 4 hours into this on an East to West coast flight and I'm just gobsmacked.

This game is GD amazing. Just, wow.
I just completed the final version of Galactic Keep...GLORIOUS.
The story is really fantastic (at first you don't understand anything...then after the third map it's really picks up...be sure to explore every corner).
Really a fantastic and unique game,,,can't wait for the new module.

xX6Xedf.jpg

Horizon Chase is a racing game inspired in the great hits of the 80's and 90's: Out Run, Lotus Turbo Challenge, Top Gear (SNES), Rush, among others. Each curve and each lap in Horizon Chase recreates classic arcade gameplay and offers you unbound speed limits of fun. Full throttle on and enjoy!
screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Horizon Chase has sold me on iOS racing. Nothing's 'clicked' before this.

And the music is god-tier.
Horizon Chase is everything. It's probably my favorite iOS game of the year so far and one of the best examples of mobile games done right. I hope it's very successful so we encourage developers to give us premium content like this, and I also hope it makes it to Android because I hyped some of friends for it without knowing most of them can't buy it, lol
If you're a fan of old school arcade racers like Outrun, this is a must buy. Extremely polished with great controls, vibrant colorful tracks and tons of content.
OMG Horizon Chase. Great style, perfect control - totally loving it.
Horizon Chase: World Tour keeps getting better and better, the music is just spectacular. Goes with the game so well and I can find myself humming the tunes all the time... something strange in me since I rarely pay attention to that side of games. Loving it.
Okay Horizon Chase is absolutely wonderful. Best iOS racer I've played since Asphalt 6.
Horizon Chase is more fun than it has a right to be.
I'm loving this game so far. The graphics are not "literal" 16-bits, but rather modern renditions of the same concept. Soundtrack is awesome. I can't judge the gameplay just yet, other than it feels very arcade-y (just like Top Gear and OutRun, which is great in my book) and I would really like to be playing this on a traditional controller instead of the touch screen.
Got this last night and yeah it's fantastic.

Never played a lot of outrun or those style games (just dabbled), but I really like the simplicity and purity of what this game is.

And make no mistake, the graphics are awesome. Only on second area, but tracks manage to surprise me with new unique looks and feel as I progress.

6ozPgz3.jpg

Spin webs of your own design to trap insects as you explore a mysterious abandoned mansion. Learn the truth about what happened there and leave the place covered in cobwebs.
Once the sun sets outside your window, it becomes night in the game. When it rains in real life, the rain also falls on Blackbird Estate. Solve cryptic puzzles using the weather and the moon, and encounter rare and beautiful insects that only come out at night. Prepare to be immersed as never before by this unique connection between game and real world.

4nPnBHM.jpg
3Ve6Xke.jpg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Spider: Rite of the Shrouded Moon, the sequel to Spider: Secret Of Bryce Manor, a game from 2009 (maybe the first meaty on iOS) got an NZ link and should be available at midnight. 5$. From the developers Tiger Style, creators of the amazing awesome spectacular Waking Mars. I tested it, didn't find anything wrong with it, quite the contrary, I found an amazing game, surpasses even my wildest expectations. It will end on my GotY list without doubt. Will not be the first place but it will be high enough. ABSOLUTELY RECOMMENDED

pIP9BZy.jpg

Dungeon of the Endless is the awarded smash-hit Rogue-Like Dungeon-Defense hybrid game, in which the player and their team of heroes must protect the generator of their crashed ship while exploring an ever-expanding dungeon, all while facing waves of monsters and special events as they try to find their way out... so what could go wrong... open the door!
screen480x480.jpeg
screen480x480.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Been playing some Dungeon of the Endless. It plays flawlessly on touch, so that's good

And it's hard as fuck. Your goal is to travel through 12 floors, roguelike style, and so far I haven't been able to reach the second

You have a lot of things to juggle
- Four different resources, for powering rooms, leveling up, building modules (think towers), etc
- Your heroes, each with different stats and abilities
- Choosing which rooms to power and which modules to build

The gameplay is divided into two phases. The first has you exploring the floor, searching for exit. The game is pseudo-turn based, each "turn" occurring when you open a door. Each time you open a door, it's rife with tension, because you don't know what lies beyond. So you better be prepared beforehand

Then once you find the exit, you need to transport your power crystal to the exit, as hordes of enemies pour in. This is where the rooms you powered and the modules you've placed really matter.

pr1lsXh.jpg

Happy Wheels is a side-scrolling, physics-based, obstacle course game with over a billion plays online and is now available for your mobile devices. Assume the role of your inadequately prepared racer and ignore severe consequences in a desperate search for victory.
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

If you haven't tried Happy Wheels, give it a download. It's hard and funny as hell, if you don't mind mindless, gory violence. Just finished a level with both of legs amputated. :)
Downloaded and bought the ad remover before even trying a level. Love the game on PC and it plays great on touch

The level editor is practically effortless. Can copy and paste, rotate, resize with ease.

Which is great because making insane death gauntlets is never gets old.

Btw, all the characters are available in the editor, not just the Segway guy

KlQz0fe.jpg

Consisting of hundreds of extremely challenging codes, puzzles and interactive ciphers, The Guides is a journey that will challenge your wit, stretch your imagination and test your ingenuity in unique and innovative ways.
Simply stated, they’re not easy. Progressing will be difficult, but you have the appropriate tools at your disposal. Everything you need to proceed is — or has been — provided.
Look for clues and patterns to build on what you have learned. Remember what you have seen as for no detail is too subtle or insignificant. As you explore deeper, you’ll begin to unravel the enigma of The Guides.

screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

I've downloaded Guides. It's very well designed in as far as it looks great, but in already stuck on the 6th puzzle. It reminds me of Device 6 in a way.
I started The Guides this morning.very cool presentation and a good mixture of puzzles so far but I'm stuck on the 11th puzzle.

4N0x1Oq.jpg

RollerCoaster Tycoon® 3 (RCT3) is the classic bestselling PC strategy simulation that now brings the fun of a roller coaster park right to your iPhone or iPad!
With a new mobile-friendly UI, the creativity, depth and sophistication of the classic PC game is all here - with NO in-app purchases.

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

I've not played the PC version in about 7 years, but from the short time I've played, it seems a pretty solid port. Lots of ride customisation, entrance/exit, colours/types, music choices, you can't add your own from what I can see. Lots of in depth data and what not on rides, stalls, shops etc.

I only have 5 rides and a few stalls and shops but it's running beautifully on my 6 plus. You can zoom in to each individual customer and then waaaay out to view your entire Park, no half arsed zoom like some games use. You can of course take a ride on any of your attractions.

Like I said, Ive not played the PC version for 7 years, possibly more, but it seems to have a lot more customisations than I can remember. Really impressed so far.
Game seems to work lovely and smoothly on my ipad air 2. Yeah the graphics are pretty basic, but I'm still impressed with the amount of stuff happening on screen. The controls can be a bit slow and fiddly at first, but I soon got used to them after about half an hour. It's really baffling to me though that you can't just simply drag your finger over the screen to lay down a path.
Oh man. 6 user here, and it's freaking glorious. Just as time consuming as I remember RCT1&2. This is my first time playing 3. This is what I expected when the last RCT mobile came out...

Game runs great, plays great, and is just as awesome as you remember. Buy it.

60a0TUE.jpg

Fly at BREAKNECK speed as you pursue your mission and get as far as you can. The world is now occupied by invaders—and they are hunting you. Scramble through unfamiliar terrain, dodging obstacles and evading capture and destruction. Retrace and optimize your route to improve your distance. Test your limits and your control, and earn rewards for the risks you take.
Fly further. Rank higher. Keep going. The mission depends on you.

en_497x280_03.png
en_497x280_04.png
SVAPhoY.jpg

Breakneck is a freemium Race the Sun on steroids version. I like the graphics and the speed sensation, is nice. The vehicle look awesome too.
I'm really enjoying it. The unlocks come at a steady pace, and the whole boost mechanic is really visually satisfying with the lightning crackling as you skim walls. Just in general, the visuals are awesome

I do like how tense it feels, as I find I'm always just barely scraping by (in a good way), getting enough boost to give me some breathing room and always looking ahead for the best path to build up more
Been playing some Breakneck with some help from my Australian account and it's pretty good, Mario.

My only issues with it are that the framerate feels choppy. I'm not sure if it's my devices fault (iPhone 5S 8.4, no apps running in the background and on airplane mode). Not necessarily inconsistent, just slower than I've come to expect from other similar games it feels. This may be a compromise since it has such great visuals.

Another (which sorta goes hand in hand with above) is that the controls don't feel as responsive as I'd hoped. Especially with since the game relies so heavily on grinding next to obstacles, it's frustrating to have them feel floaty and innaccurate.

Maybe I'm just too used to Race the Sun and Horizon Drift right now, so I'll come back and say how I feel after I've adjusted a little longer.

Everything else in the game seems really solid, the whole premise is cool and environment designs are great, plus there's no timers.

rM3ZIGD.jpg

Deceptively cute, Dandy is a bit of a different take on a 2D shoot 'em up.
Enemies are reactive and their behavior is based on your actions. Going in guns (er, wands) blazing is usually not the best idea. As you encounter new enemies, you'll need to experiment and figure out their behavior, with an almost puzzle like element to getting through each set of enemies. Each map is randomly generated and power-ups are randomly spawned, so each run through is differen

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Dandy is really good. Responsive controls, and the pacing is different from your usual shmup. For example, when enemies appear, you stay on that screen till you defeat them. The enemies are quit varied, from enemis with shields that reflect your bullets to enemies that eat your bullets and shoot them back at you. Enemis that charge at you, or follow your movement, or get angry when you shoot them. You can also shoot enemy projectiles with your own bullets

So far the stacking power-ups are cool and add things like fiery damage or larger bullets

Very polished and colorful presentation

vYrF4RQ.jpg

First, there was darkness. And then, the light came...
Michael woke up, not knowing who he was or what was happening around him. A strange plague drives people into distrust and despair. The pathetic remains of civilization live under the iron fist of the military.
Help Michael to save himself from his own crumbling reality.
Face a sick, merciless world that seems doomed. A world, where past, present and future ceased to exist.
Hurry!

19-FICTIORAMA-STUDIOS-Dead-Synchronicity-Spooky-Park-1024x576.jpg
09-FICTIORAMA-STUDIOS-Dead-Synchronicity-Camp-exit.jpg
SVAPhoY.jpg

yes. Its really good. One of my favorite adventures of the year. The only problem is that it ends somewhat abruptly with "to be continued", but its still good for a solid 9ish hours of play, and it has very good music, voice acting, writing and exploration. Really just thinking about it makes me want to play through it again, and i am desperate for the next part of the story :p

CWYBOTO.jpg

The world's most fantastical, fun, family-friendly skiing game is back and better than ever!
Play as Sven's sister Evana, share the action in multiplayer mode, perform awesome new tricks on snowboards and skis, and ride on crazy new animals! Oh, and watch out for the avalanche!

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

OMG Ski Safari 2!!! And is even better than the first one!! You can now choose between skis and a snowboard and boy and girl. And the new 3D animations are gorgeous. OMG gameplay is even better as well!!! You can now do tricks in the air by swiping, even skip animals and obstacles on your way doing tricks. Its like the took everything that was good on the first one and made it even better!

No pay-to-win also, the IAP is like the first one: OPTIONAL. A coin doubler (bought!), and three IAPS, the maximum costs 4$ and gives you everything in the game three times over. No revives either. Lots of missions as usual... the caves are much better now, the game have have branching paths as well,

it even has a 4 local multiplayer mode that I will never play (my friends aren't iPhone gamers, they are starting to get iPhone's but not to play), fast and furious going at insane speeds. Scoring is more fun now as well. Cant wait to unlock the Volcano.

Definitely a true sequel with many many new additions to make it better than ever, faster than ever and funnier than ever. THIS GAME IS AMAZING!

SYrU8Qa.jpg

Manowar is a ghost ship adrift on dark seas. There is no puzzle game like it.
Just tilt the ship to load the cannon balls and tap the screen to fire them. Empty the ship to beat the level. It is easy enough at first but the difficulty quickly ramps up. The diabolical final stages will stretch both your mental and physical dexterity.

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

More_Badass said:
At its core, Manowar is a simple game. Each level presents you with an interior of a ship at sea, filled with various platforms, barriers, and cannonballs, and lined with cannons. The goal is to tilt the ship back and forth, maneuver the cannonballs into position, and fire them into the surrounding watery abyss.

But that's only the start. as new mechanics compound to create suprisingly devious challenges. Firing a cannon cause the remaining cannonballs onboard to bounce into the air, allowing you to get them over walls or balance them atop other cannonballs. Then the game adds colored cannons that only affect cannonballs of the same hue. And then barriers that can only be crossed from certain directions, then platforms that swing in specific patterns, and then portals, and so on.

All these mechanics turn Manowar into a puzzler with a focus on timing and careful planning. Moving and firing cannonballs without thinking of how it will affect the remaining cannonballs can easily led to having one stuck without a way to maneuver it. You may need to block passages to guide cannonballs along a certain route or fire colored cannonballs in a specific sequence, among other tricky scenarios.

LcPz1yg.jpg

Pixel Dungeon is an exciting and extremely popular roguelike (more than 2 million Android installs!). Explore the depths of Pixel Dungeon, collect useful items and fight fierce monsters to find the Amulet of Yendor (surprise!) - the ultimate artefact of this game world!
Are you prepared for this very easy to play yet difficult to master dungeon crawler?

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Anyone check out Pixel Dungeon?

It's a really popular roguelike that was a hit on Android, Had to pick it up, and it's excellent. Any self-respecting mobile roguelike fan should have it in their library. It absolutely nails that sense of mystery and discovery and risk vs reward that make roguelikes so fun.

The functions of potions, spell scrolls, etc. are unknown until you try them out. There are secrets galore, from hidden doors to barricades that might burn down if you only hadn't used that fire potion earlier

70EZ05e.jpg

Battlestation is a game series, consisting of mobile and PC games set in a deep and rich sci-fi world.
Battlestation: Harbinger is a real-time (RTS) space strategy game. Set in a universe, where 3 other species and an unknown threat are nearby, you will command many of the best ships the human race has to offer. Discover new technology and enjoy a gripping story this space adventure simulation game offers.

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Anyone been playing Battlestation: Harbinger?

Looks pretty sweet and really deep, definitely seems under appreciated so far.

Has some definite inspirations from Out There and FTL, but more active combat variation.

From a 3 man team, they could use the support too
---
Looks like Battlestation: Harbingers major issues are fixed and live, another fix just went in the fixes the resolution on iPhone 6.

Definitely worth the pick up now, seems totally overshadowed by Galactic Keep and Dungeons of the Endless, sadly.

wcEfO6V.png

A friend of mine has a blog and does regular roundups of iOS releases. http://pixelatedparadise.wordpress.com/

PixWing - September 10th
Tile Tales - September 24th
Armada Commander
Devastator
Astra
Dungelot: Shattered Lands
More releases to be added soon

IcBECrt.png

iOS Gaming August 2015 | Last chance to play your favorites before iOS9 breaks them
iOS Gaming July 2015 | Apple bans the revolution
iOS Gaming June 2015 | The future is now
iOS Gaming May 2015 | May the Watch be with you
iOS Gaming April 2015 | April sales bring May backlogs
iOS Gaming March 2015 | Beware the IAPs of March
iOS Gaming February 2015 | Under New Management
iOS Gaming December 2014/January 2015

Visit the January 2014 thread for links to December 2013 through November 2012 threads!

aoTNDXB.png
This website keeps track of all the controller enabled games. It gets updated regularly.
3jjyWBt.png
J9WRxM9.jpg
iCade Hardware / Games reviews said:

i4fPlgu.png

svX4yNR.png

5IdwG5T.png

### The Game Center user list is here: quote to see ###
iOS Membership said:
Rules
  • Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you want to be added or taken off the list, following this text formatting: GAF Name = Game Center Name / iOS Device(s)
  • When adding someone, add From GAF to the friend request and your NeoGAF name as to easily tell who's who.
  • Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you are already on the list but want to update your profile with more info like iOS devices(s) owned, or to just change your existing GC profile.
  • We are on the list and, if you are too, it's OK to add us even if we're not best buddies; don't be shy: we enjoy having more GAFers challenging us on the friends leaderboards.
  • Don't just wait for others to add you first you should at least add some of the profiles posted above yours if you want to get the ball rolling... It's really up to you. Ideally the last member of the list will be the one to add the profiles above his, and so on and on with each new member. Or maybe just add whoever you like, that's also an option.
  • Remember: Your real name will be visible to your GC friends.
  • You can add everyone on the list at once; click the second sheet on the iOS Membership list and read the instructions, works on iOS and Macs
JEdp5A3.png

### The form to enter yourself to the list is here: quote to see ###

uPJJtiw.png
How do I back up my game saves for games that do not support iCloud save games?
iFunBox no longer works on most games post iOS 8.3
Use a file manager program such as i-FunBox (PC/Mac) - It's free and requires no jailbreak. i-FunBox has many different features, but to back up save games you would just want to do the following:
  • Click the iFunBox Classic tab
  • Connect your iOS device, via WiFi or USB, it should then appear in the Connected Devices list on the left side of the UI.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to back up save games for.
  • Select the Documents and Library folders and copy them one at a time to your PC/Mac - this will copy the folders and all their contents. They contains your save files and settings for the game. Some games only use Documents, some use both.
To restore a backed up save game do the reverse.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to restore save games for.
  • Select the Documents and/or Library folders and choose to copy from PC/Mac.
  • Navigate to where you saved the backed up Documents and/or Library folders on your PC/Mac, open them and select all the files within it and open them. This will copy the folder contents back onto your iOS device.
  • Restart/fully close the game itself and your saves should be back!
Check that the file structure of the game is retained, e.g. GameName > Documents > files after you're done (no Documents folder within the Documents folder!), otherwise the game will not recognize your restored saves!
How do I hide my Real Name on Game Center?
Your real first and last name (taken from your Apple ID) will be shown to your GC friends. If you value that information and want GAF's leaderboards to show your GAF nickname instead, here's how you do it:
  • Go to http://appleid.apple.com and log in with your Apple ID details via "Manage your Apple ID".
  • In the "Name, ID and Email Addresses" section, click Edit on the Your Name field at the top.
  • Change you First and Last name (you must enter both) to whatever you like (e.g. First Name: Tunesmith, Last Name: GAF)
Done, now that's who you're going to be listed as on your friend's Game Center leaderboards. This will affect Game Center *and* your Apple ID. If it's the same account you use for App Store/iTunes, you will still be able to use it for iTunes/App Store's purchases (you can still buy whatever you want like you could before) *BUT* in the receipt it'll show your nickname or whatever you chose as First Name and Last Name when you changed those fields. The first time you will use the modified account on App Store/iTunes, you will be asked to verify the account by re-entering the 3 digits code of the credit card's CCV security code (if you make your purchases using a credit card).
Should I buy this new high-priced game or wait for a sale?
Maybe! Just be aware that iOS games have a tendency to go on sale frequently and unpredictably, even recent games can be a dollar rather than premium $4-5. Spend your pack of gum money wisely. As a recommendation, set up a RSS feed for the price changes on http://appshopper.com/which will then notify you of any price fluctuations for old and new games alike.
I just got an iPhone/iPad. What are the best games?
In addition to checking out the past month's iOS Gaming threads, visit Why iOS Rocks / iOS Hidden Gems. You're welcome and your wallet will hurt.
For gaming, should I get the iPad Mini 2, or iPad Air?
Both have their pros and cons. The Mini 2 is cheaper and smaller but there is a slight difference between the Air's A7 chip and the mini's A7: the mini's is around 100MHz slower -- 1.3GHz compared to the Air's 1.4GHz. Other than that they're both identical in spec. It's very much a coin toss between if you want a 9.7" or a 7.9" screen.
I'm a new iOS user, what non-gaming apps should I get ASAP?
This thread would be a great place to start. Asking here wouldn't hurt either!

RmHPAM6.png

Genuine thanks to our iOS Gaming community for keeping these monthly threads alive!
Special thanks to Tunesmith for his fantastic thread format and month after month of hard work in maintaining these threads

Great OP MB! With new software and hardware this month iOS gaming is looking great.

Still waiting on Warbits and Crashlands though

Great OP MB! With new software and hardware this month iOS gaming is looking great.

Still waiting on Warbits and Crashlands though
Regarding Warbits, as of July, the devs are trying to "get this game ready for testing in the next few months"

So expect alpha/beta testing later this years, so I assume that means 2016 for the final release

PittaGAF

I'm still super deep in Calvino Noir (completed Act 2 yesterday night, story wise it was fantastic...a puzzle kept me up till 2 am) but The Deer Good intrigues me.

Despite having seen some videos, I still do not understand which kind of game is it.

An adventure?
A platformer?
A sandbox?

I get some Sword&Sworcery vibes, probably due to the graphical style and palette...which is a good thing.

killercow

I'm still super deep in Calvino Noir (completed Act 2 yesterday night, story wise it was fantastic...a puzzle kept me up till 2 am) but The Deer Good intrigues me.

Despite having seen some videos, I still do not understand which kind of game is it.

An adventure?
A platformer?
A sandbox?

I get some Sword&Sworcery vibes, probably due to the graphical style and palette...which is a good thing.

Just as a word of caution, I've heard very negative things about The Deer God. Some people I've been talking to said it was empty and shallow.

PittaGAF

Just as a word of caution, I've heard very negative things about The Deer God. Some people I've been talking to said it was empty and shallow.

Thanks for the warning.
TBH I got the same impression from the videos I saw, but maybe they were early.
Anyway I was just curious, it would have been eventually queued...I still have things to buy when I'll complete Calvino Noir which despite what everyone said...I'm liking a lot.
It has some quirks and could use a patch or two...crashes that ironically affect the first Act....Act 2 was smooth as silk and really damn good (loved the puzzle).
One guy on TA warned me that there is a bug that prevent completing the chapter I'm about to start right now...we will see.
I'll provide full impressions when I'll (hopefully) complete the game...which could be soonish barring bugs.
Only thing I know it's that this damn game is keeping me up till 2-3 am every night :D

Matt Frost

An adventure?
A platformer?
A sandbox?

Is an adventure/platformer but definitely not a sandbox. Nothing to do with Goat Simulator for example. Is a tale of redemption, where you play as a goat. It definitely has a S&S vibe, I think that too. Is very similar despite that one is point and click and this a platformer but the style and the charm is the same. I recommend it, but if you want to listen to reviews is your choice. But you will miss this one.

I am loving it, a lot. But I can understand while some may not like it. For some Swords & Sworcery was empty and shallow but I loved it. Is not the regular platformer as well, you have to explore things and things aren't as they always seem in Deer God, it has a big exploratory/find out yourself thing going on, the Deer walking speed way faster than usual, and the game is not great at explaining itself, but the story is very intriguing, brutal and something I want to see for myself.

Basically, you were a human that hunts deer until you become one, then have to redeem yourself. You have to play as a baby deer that grows up until you... well, you have to see by yourself... but there is much going on. There is a karma system going on, where you can be good or bad and that determines the ending, working nice for replayability. I believe this is what the life of a deer in 2D would be, feel very congruent. The wildlife, humans, landscapes, day and night cycle, enemies, movement, etc... Then, of course, is a game and would be very boring if that were it, so they added nice things.

But again is not a game for everybody, is different and unique. Some people won't understand it, others would like it to be Super Deer God,... etcetera... If you look at what really is, a goat game where you play as a goat in a congruent real world (to an extent), you will love it.

Matt Frost

Thanks for the warning.
TBH I got the same impression from the videos I saw, but maybe they were early.
Anyway I was just curious, it would have been eventually queued...I still have things to buy when I'll complete Calvino Noir which despite what everyone said...I'm liking a lot.
It has some quirks and could use a patch or two...crashes that ironically affect the first Act....Act 2 was smooth as silk and really damn good (loved the puzzle).
One guy on TA warned me that there is a bug that prevent completing the chapter I'm about to start right now...we will see.
I'll provide full impressions when I'll (hopefully) complete the game...which could be soonish barring bugs.
Only thing I know it's that this damn game is keeping me up till 2-3am every night :D

Hmmm, yesterday I put a walkthrough on the background while doing something else so I could focus on the story and loved what I heard, is pretty great. With a lot of twists, the character dialogs are amazing and the story itself seems interesting going in a nice direction. Then I watched it a little and the one who played it (RRvirus) wasn't frustrated with many of the points other people said. Was just enjoying the game for what it was, nor for what RRvirus wanted it to be. Didn't have expectations. Didnt care about what others said about it.

That made me realize that reviews come from a guy/gal with their own tastes and with all the luggage the mind come with (grudges, good and bad, past experiences, expectations,... and many other words I dont know the english translation for them), I too tend to fall into that error. I want to have a clean mind about everything, never judge and never expect, never think bad because thinking well, clean thoughts, is key for what you attract in your life, good thinking=big improvement in your life. Jesus Christ was so right when he said that we ourselves make our own reality, or own hell or heaven. Heaven is already here, is what you achieve with a clear mind, you find everything better this way. Hell is where you are when the mind is at its best: judging, criticizing, worrying, jealousy, grudges,... I look around and I see 99% of people into this mode, hater mode, the opposite of love. Love is all and should be a way of life, but no, people prefer to live in hell. I wont fall into the mind trap again. So, clear mind and meditation, inner voice thing -what I will try from now on ever since I read a book by THICH NHAT HANH called "Achieving Inner Peace", it showed -while I was banned, has to rethink what I did wrong- me the way, and another book by Dr Miguel Ruiz, "The Four Agreements" further showed me the way. Extremely recommended read for all of you- I was interested in the game before I read all those negative things about it, and you and RRvirus and that other youtuber loved the game, so I wont be deterred by haters, let them have their own hell. So I am interested in it again. Will wait for your end impressions to see its length.

SteveWD40

Is anyone else still getting the no sound bug in FTL in iPad, the one they claim they fixed months back?

Tried a few work arounds but it's hit and miss and frankly a bit crap for a premium app.

To clarify, it starts with no sound and the only way to get it is to close all other apps and re-lanuch 3 or 4 times, even then it's temperamental.

Very interested to see how/if Apple frame the new Apple TV as a gaming device and what games/devs they use to show of the device next week.

killercow

Very interested to see how/if Apple frame the new Apple TV as a gaming device and what games/devs they use to show of the device next week.

That plus iOS' 9 release information (Multitasking! Adblockers! Stability! Battery life!) should make for a pretty exciting conference.

PittaGAF

Is an adventure/platformer but definitely not a sandbox. Nothing to do with Goat Simulator for example. Is a tale of redemption, where you play as a goat. It definitely has a S&S vibe, I think that too. Is very similar despite that one is point and click and this a platformer but the style and the charm is the same. I recommend it, but if you want to listen to reviews is your choice. But you will miss this one.

Thank you too!

PittaGAF

Never trust random people on forums.... :p
Just completed Calvino Noir chapter 6 in under 2 hours despite what I read (impossible due to a bug...tsk...tsk)....onto the last chapter!!!

awp69

Great job on the OP as usual, More_Badass!

Wanted to mention that I was able to play Seashine (it's already out on Android). It's a high score chaser where you must eat/collect glowing fish and other objects to stay alive, navigating upwards, to stay alive as a health meter drains.

It's a pretty simple game set apart by the beauty and ambience of the sea. Outstanding graphics and sound. The controls are ones that are easy to use but difficult to master in terms of movement with the underwater physics, which is the real challenge of the game (moving quickly to the next food to be collected before your health runs out).

Not sure how much it will hold my interest in the long run, but worth a download since it's F2P. The freemium aspects are pretty tame. You can buy unlocks like a magnet using currency you earn in-game so the IAPs are basically short cuts for those. I also have not yet seen an ad.

Hgggnh...the new site for Static Sky makes the game look so cool

Cybernetic implants, high-tech weaponry, mod chips for unique skills, hacking the world to re-wire data connections and subvert enemy defenses
1.jpg
2.jpg

Manik

Just wanted to say a massive thank you for this thread - recently jumped back on the iOS bandwagon having spent a few years with an android phone, so am enjoying catching up on the huge backlog of games that I've missed out on, for which this thread has been invaluable!

Will add my name to the game centre list too, as my friends list is looking super empty at the moment, so look forward to competing against a few of you all on there. Is there still a big iOS board gaming community like there was a few years back?

Just wanted to say a massive thank you for this thread - recently jumped back on the iOS bandwagon having spent a few years with an android phone, so am enjoying catching up on the huge backlog of games that I've missed out on, for which this thread has been invaluable!

Will add my name to the game centre list too, as my friends list is looking super empty at the moment, so look forward to competing against a few of you all on there. Is there still a big iOS board gaming community like there was a few years back?
Happy to help! Any particular genres you enjoy?

And yes, here's the IOS board gaming thread. Not super active though
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=832942

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
One Weird Trick OPs Hate:
Put More_Badass on ignore so the huge page load doesn't ironically crash mobile safari, then individually load each post with "View Post"

Manik

Happy to help! Any particular genres you enjoy?

And yes, here's the IOS board gaming thread. Not super active though
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=832942

Really just enjoying Lara Croft Go and Hitman Go at the minute, so anything similar to those.

Also picked up Device 6 and Sorcery! to play on my commute.

Like I say, I've been away for a few years so I'm just basking in the mountain of games that I've missed over the past few years. Any 'essential' recommendations would be ideal - even if they're not the newest games on the scene.

Really just enjoying Lara Croft Go and Hitman Go at the minute, so anything similar to those.

Also picked up Device 6 and Sorcery! to play on my commute.

Like I say, I've been away for a few years so I'm just basking in the mountain of games that I've missed over the past few years. Any 'essential' recommendations would be ideal - even if they're not the newest games on the scene.
Check out the "Why IOS Rocks" thread listed in the 4th OT post. I need to add a few months of new games, but it currently has about 200+ recommend games categorized by genre

awp69

No need to bookmark. Clicking the GAF logo next to threads on PC or the > on mobile jumps to the last page :)

Hmm..on mobile, I can hit the little down sign and it'll take me to the bottom. Then I have to hit the "Last Page" button.

Once that last page button is available (when the thread hits page 3), I can bookmark where it takes me and it always goes to the last page. I don't have a > symbol on mobile unless you are talking about the Last Page with the arrow.

Oh well, that's just my habit and works well enough after we get to the third page.

schnell

Finally picked up an iPad Air 2 so I can play the awesome iPad only games I've been missing (thanks, work!). This War of Mine and Doorkickers were the two I really wanted to play, but what have been the killer iPad only games from the last 2-3 months?

Hmm..on mobile, I can hit the little down sign and it'll take me to the bottom. Then I have to hit the "Last Page" button.

Once that last page button is available (when the thread hits page 3), I can bookmark where it takes me and it always goes to the last page. I don't have a > symbol on mobile unless you are talking about the Last Page with the arrow.

Oh well, that's just my habit and works well enough after we get to the third page.
No, here, the > while browsing threads:
Also do you subscribe to threads?

awp69

No, here, the > while browsing threads:

Also do you subscribe to threads?

Oh, I see what you mean. I usually don't do a whole lot of browsing outside of the few threads I visit the most here.

That's also why I don't subscribe to threads either. Just figure it's quicker to bookmark it.

I don't know. It's probably half-ass backwards but just the way I've been doing it.

Oh, I see what you mean. I usually don't do a whole lot of browsing outside of the few threads I visit the most here.

That's also why I don't subscribe to threads either. Just figure it's quicker to bookmark it.

I don't know. It's probably half-ass backwards but just the way I've been doing it.
Subscribing to threads makes it so easy, and then just bookmark the subscription page. I have all my frequent threads there, and I set it so any thread I post in gets auto-subscribed.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Subscribed.
Just grabbed Horizon Chase, no point waiting for a discount on a great looking $2.99 game.
Been playing lots of Pac-Man 256.

Oynox

Subscribed.
Just grabbed Horizon Chase, no point waiting for a discount on a great looking $2.99 game.
That's exactly what I thought as well and I do not regret buying it. It is pure fun!

Other topic: is it possible to download free games from another store? I would like to try Pokemon Shuffle but it is not available I Germany.

okno

Sage Solitaire is consuming my life. I can't put it down, and am determined to beat this damn game. I've gotten it down to one card, ONE CARD! BAH! My high score is pretty low, however, at 1470. The amount of strategy involved in this is staggering, and I love it.

Freaking love this game.

And back I go.

Sage Solitaire is consuming my life. I can't put it down, and am determined to beat this damn game. I've gotten it down to one card, ONE CARD! BAH! My high score is pretty low, however, at 1470. The amount of strategy involved in this is staggering, and I love it.

Freaking love this game.

And back I go.
How familiar do you have to be with solitaire to enjoy it? I had held off on Card Crawl because it had been described as a solitaire-style game (big mistake on my part), so I'm definitely interested in Sage

But I don't really know how to play the card game

okno

How familiar do you have to be with solitaire to enjoy it? I had held off on Card Crawl because it had been described as a solitaire-style game (big mistake on my part), so I'm definitely interested in Sage

But I don't really know how to play the card game

Not at all. You clear the board by making poker hands. The twist is that you must use a card from at least two rows, so if you have 7 6 8 in the top row you can't play that unless you have a a playable card in either the middle or bottom row. At the beginning of each game you are also given a "bonus" suit. This suit will double the points in a hand, lending you a big hand in getting a high score. However, they don't stack, so the extra strategy is to try and stretch them out as much as possible to make as many high score hands as you can. You are also granted two "trash" cards, which replenish whenever you make a hand, that allow you to trash a card. These can be used to either try and make a bigger hand, or as a necessity due to no playable hands.

It's an immensely difficult game, but with each game you learn the intricacies more and more and feel yourself getting better. Highly, highly recommend it for the low price of free. I plan on buying the full game soon. It stops all ads (which are infrequent and not annoying at all, as is), lets you change the backgrounds, and adds two more game modes.

Do. Not. Sleep.

awp69

That's exactly what I thought as well and I do not regret buying it. It is pure fun!

Other topic: is it possible to download free games from another store? I would like to try Pokemon Shuffle but it is not available I Germany.

As long as you don't intend to buy anything, you can create an account for just about any country for F2P downloads.

Here's an article on how to do it:

http://www.148apps.com/news/create-foreign-itunes-account-download-apps-games-early/

It uses New Zealand as the example but the site they reference can create an address for anywhere.

Gmail accounts are great to have with it since all you have to do is put +NZ, +CA, etc. for each account.

But, as I mentioned, you won't be able to buy IAPs or premium games because you would have to have a real billing address, credit card, etc.

Top Bottom