• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2015 | GOing back to school with a backlog

awp69

Hope the controls in I Am Bread are good. It's a great game, but the controls will make or break it on mobile

Yeah, I'm interested but when you mentioned how you weren't sure how it would translate on mobile, I want to know more before buying.

Dandte

Hello,

i'm pretty sure this isn't the right thread for my question, but i didn't found a better suited one.

I saw an mobile phone game on an iphone 5c.
First the person was playing tetris, but the blocks didn't disappear, instead when the tetris section was filled it switched to another screen and showed some units, which got attack power based on the blocks she was able to use.
It was a japanese mobile phone game and i didn't had time to ask her how it is called. but maybe someone knows the name or the right thread for it? :)

PittaGAF

For the ones interested Calvino Noir was just updated and I'm seeing on TA people who had problems before are now enjoying the game to the point they bought the season pass, so you may want check the TA thread if you are still interested in the game.
Personally I didn't have any of the mentioned problems but a crash on Chapter 3 which I could bypass anyway, and I immensely enjoyed the game....already saw all 'endings' and I hope to see more of the game....story and characters really deserve.
Ending left me a bit in shock...there was so much more to explore!!!!
Took me around 8 hours for my first play through....I'm replaying on iPhone (have yet to update to see if iCloud sync now works) and it's taking me half than that...I could probably speed through it in 4 hours.
It's a very old school game (like the old Commandos) in a modern coating (interiors with a lot of furniture are gorgeous when you turn on the torchlight).
It's brutal and very difficult, very old school....new generations may be frustrated but as I grew up dying million of times in Mission Impossibile I really enjoyed being still for 1 minute in the game to memorize patterns and timings of the guards.

-psygnosis-

Neo Member
If you liked Lifeline, check out Timecrest by SneakyCrab:
https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-store/id1027546326?mt=8
Same concept but in a fantasy setting.

Thanks, really liked lifeline, will check this out.

I am also quiet far in Lara Croft GO, it's interesting how they don't have any tutorials or animated visual cues like a swipe icon so figuring out the controls is a tiny puzzle itself. For example it took me a minute to know what was going on with the pillars and how you move them, the arrows simply didn't look like I was supposed to touch them, thought I just had to swipe in that direction. Still great experience so far.

Hello,

i'm pretty sure this isn't the right thread for my question, but i didn't found a better suited one.

I saw an mobile phone game on an iphone 5c.
First the person was playing tetris, but the blocks didn't disappear, instead when the tetris section was filled it switched to another screen and showed some units, which got attack power based on the blocks she was able to use.
It was a japanese mobile phone game and i didn't had time to ask her how it is called. but maybe someone knows the name or the right thread for it? :)

If you have time and luck you might find it here https://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/top/japan/overall/?device=iphone

Matt Frost

Another nice week, september seems to be another great iOS month, maybe not as good as the last two but time will tell. Its also my birthday month. September 11th. I hope something great releases that day... but in the mean time...

The Deer God - The Mighty Deer God
I Am Bread - want to see how it controls first
Seashine - Is free...

Also bought Space Marshals due to the universal love and praise it got...

SteveWD40

Finally picked up an iPad Air 2 so I can play the awesome iPad only games I've been missing (thanks, work!). This War of Mine and Doorkickers were the two I really wanted to play, but what have been the killer iPad only games from the last 2-3 months?

Dungeons of the Endless
FTL
Hearthstone is much better on iPad

PittaGAF

I'm waiting to see tonight releases but if nothing suits me, now that I have completed Calvino Noir, I'm undecided what to buy next.
Candidates are:

This War of mine
Transistor
Don't starve

I'm waiting to see tonight releases but if nothing suits me, now that I have completed Calvino Noir, I'm undecided what to buy next.
Candidates are:

This War of mine
Transistor
Don't starve
Oh man, deciding if I should recommend This War of Mine or Transistor is tough

Both are fantastic

Transistor is linear, story driven
This War of Mine is more about resource management, exploration, grueling survival

Transistor is an action RPG, real time mixed turn-based tactical combat.
This War of Mine is focused on stealth, with the occasional killing

Both are beautiful; Transistor has its vibrant isometric cyberpunk look and this wonderful ambiance with the music, while This War of Mine has this pencil-sketch bleak atmosphere

I'd say Transistor has more content, between the main mode, new game plus, and the challenges

While This War of Mine is more of bleak depressing experience that most games can't touch in terms of actually making you feel something

I'd say This War of Mine controls perfectly on mobile. Transistor plays well on touch too, but I feel it's best played with mouse/kb or gamepad

I can't really say which is better to buy. They're both so good

PittaGAF

Thank you More_Badass, I was really hoping for this kind of insight, but now I'm even more undecided!!!

I'll elaborate more about what suits me now and what attract me about those titles.

Transistor: I love scifi and I love music and I loved Bastion and the narrated story.
Not that into additional modes once I completed the storyline....I've read it's doable in about 6-8 hours (perfect spot for me).
Everything looks cool but I'm not sure I'm in a action mood right now.

This War of Mine: I'm really attracted by the powerful theme and as I just completed Calvino Noir I come to terms to the fact that besides isometric graphics, I simply can't say no to 3D side 2.5D graphics.
I'm a bit scared by the crafting thing...I like crafting if I have a purpose, but I HATE sandbox crafting games (from Minecraft onward).
Must be because I'm a LEGO olympionic :p so maybe there was too much crafting in my life already.
I'm not sure it would be a problem in TWoM but I do not know.
I guess TWoM has an ending too.
I was waiting for the game to go Universal...but not sure when it will happen so it's really tempting.

Don't Starve....I wasn't interested but I read somewhere it has a story and an ending...that changed everything. I like the style a lot....not sure if it has too much crafting. (again it's not crafting per per se that I hate, it's crafting without a clear in game purpose other than surviving).

I need a game to cope till finally Deathwatch multiplayer hits :)

EDIT: It's just a timing thing....I'll get 2 or maybe all 3 with time.

Matt Frost

If I were you, I will pick Transistor because is having the first sale ever and its half price right now, from 10$ to 5$, a nice sale if you ask me. 10$ is a good price for what it offers, 5$ is a steal...

This War of Mine has an ending. It ends when the war ends. But you don't really know when that's going to happen. The game has this grueling grind, just-need-to-survive-one-more-day vibe, but it works really well

Crafting wise, Don't Starve is the worse of the two. If you're been worn out on crafting, you should save Don't Starve for later. You die a lot, and it's a roguelite so each time you die, you start fresh and need to begin crafting rudimentary stuff again

While in This War of Mine, the crafting is so closely tied to helping your group of survivors that it feels necessary and enjoyable. Crafting has a bigger purpose than "simply make better item" because certain things can reduce depression and keep your group happy.

If I were you, I will pick Transistor because is having the first sale ever and its half price right now, from 10$ to 5$, a nice sale if you ask me. 10$ is a good price for what it offers, 5$ is a steal...
You know, I'm going to have to say This War of Mine. Transistor is beautiful, the combat is deep, the music is fantastic, but This War of Mine is the first game to make me feel bad. You might have to do things to keep your group alive, things that go against your morals, but you will do them to keep your people alive.

It's so effective

Matt Frost

You know, I'm going to have to say This War of Mine. Transistor is beautiful, the combat is deep, the music is fantastic, but This War of Mine is the first game to make me feel bad. You might have to do things to keep your group alive, things that go against your morals, but you will do them to keep your people alive.

It's so effective

I want This War of Mine as well, I been reading about it and looks epic but its iPad only, hope it gets a universal update sometime like Dont Starve. I said Transistor since is on sale and good for the wallet xD

killercow

It's so effective

Yeah, This War of Mine is absolutely amazing. Quite a shock when one of your character dies or get injured etc. About the same feeling as losing a squadmate in XCom, except here they feel like normal human beings.
It plays beautifully on iPad too.

Is anyone still playing Spider-Man Unlimited? There's not even a thread for it, but the new update today adds alliances, and I'd rather play with GAF people than randoms.

PittaGAF

Some could be interested in the fact that the next DeathWatch patch, besides the multiplayer at last, contains new stuff and a fast forward button.

The patch after that, contains new other cool stuff too.

Some could be interested in the fact that the next DeathWatch patch, besides the multiplayer at last, contains new stuff and a fast forward button.

The patch after that, contains new other cool stuff too.

Sounds ace, I've taken a bit of a break from Deathwatch for the moment but a wave of new content might just be the thing to get me back into my big space marine boots.

PittaGAF

Sounds ace, I've taken a bit of a break from Deathwatch for the moment but a wave of new content might just be the thing to get me back into my big space marine boots.

As I completed everything already, I play here and then now to get the occasional new pack, always looking for a Space Wolves team....but then the idea of leveling them up again is a bit daunting....so I'll just wait multiplayer and the new content for that.
Can't wait.

Are we GC friends?
We need to meet in the Astolat Sector :)

Oynox

As long as you don't intend to buy anything, you can create an account for just about any country for F2P downloads.

Here's an article on how to do it:

http://www.148apps.com/news/create-foreign-itunes-account-download-apps-games-early/

It uses New Zealand as the example but the site they reference can create an address for anywhere.

Gmail accounts are great to have with it since all you have to do is put +NZ, +CA, etc. for each account.

But, as I mentioned, you won't be able to buy IAPs or premium games because you would have to have a real billing address, credit card, etc.

Thank you very much! I guess New Zealand is my best bet to play the most games since most soft launched titles are released in NZ, right?

Matt Frost

^^ Yes the NZ is the best one for soft-launches and as a plus you can grab all the free wednesday releases early... and never be tempted to buy IAP since is a different account

Also... The Deer God, I love it. It got some high praise from trusted reviews as well...

“It can be a struggle, but it's all worth it when you're shooting fire out your antlers.”
Kotaku

“The world of The Deer God is incredibly hostile, featuring so many dangerous animals it makes Far Cry 4 look like a petting zoo.”
PC Gamer

“The side-scrolling puzzle game takes elements of an endless runner and an RPG and mixes them into something very special.”
Polygon

Description
30% off launch sale!!!

The Deer God is a breathtaking 3D pixel art adventure that will challenge your religion and your platforming skills.
It's a game about survival, reincarnation, and karma; all set in a breathtaking and unique 3D pixelized world.
Feast your eyes on the beautiful lighting, day and night system, and vast landscapes.

Become one of the most beautiful animals on planet earth.

LIVE AS A DEER.

SURVIVE AS A DEER.

Features:
Gorgeous 3d pixel art world to explore
MFi Controller support
Various animals and characters to interact with
Night and Day system
Various quests
Tons of items to find and use
Reincarnate into other animals
Use the power of statues and level up your antlers
Find secrets and solve ancient puzzles
Follow an interesting and dark storyline
Amazing Original Soundtrack by Evan Gipson.

Also, is as epic as games can come, moving, dark, with lots to explore, a game that never ever holds you hand and much much more. Definitely something special.

^^ Yes the NZ is the best one for soft-launches and as a plus you can grab all the free wednesday releases early... and never be tempted to buy IAP since is a different account

Also... The Deer God, I love it. It got some high praise from trusted reviews as well...
Those quotes are from previews of the unfinished game when it was on Early Access last year. The reviews of the finished game this year aren't that positive. Mixed rating on Steam and the general consensus from reviews seem to be medicore, 6/10 from Destructoid and Kill Screen,

I'm interested, though. The art looks lovely
Here's the IOS launch trailer

awp69

Those quotes are from previews of the unfinished game when it was on Early Access last year. The reviews of the finished game this year aren't that positive. Mixed rating on Steam and the general consensus from reviews seem to be medicore, 6/10 from Destructoid and Kill Screen,

It definitely is one of those love or hate it kind of games. I haven't finished it (was waiting on the final Android build, but am now playing the Xbox One version).

To me it's the kind of game to get lost in and just enjoy the world it is placed in. There probably could have been some more additions to it that would have raised it to a classic. But it's a different theme and, with the exception of some boss battles, is just a relaxing surreal experience with a message.

Matt Frost

Here's the IOS launch trailer

I didnt know what, thanks! I am playing it, and the only fault I can find is... double jumping... sometimes you have to stretch the thumb too much to jump over the bigger gaps, the rest is... quite charming, unique and lovely. I like it. Lets see what the rest have to say, but I definitely like it.

It definitely is one of those love or hate it kind of games. I haven't finished it (was waiting on the final Android build, but am now playing the Xbox One version).

To me it's the kind of game to get lost in and just enjoy the world it is placed in. There probably could have been some more additions to it that would have raised it to a classic. But it's a different theme and, with the exception of some boss battles, is just a relaxing surreal experience with a message.

Definitely love or hate type of game. I wouldn't call it "relaxing", there are a lot of animals that want you dead, and those hard to see spikes as well. I died a lot of times already. Maybe is the touchscreen controls and the xBox version is better.

Any sign of I Am Bread?

I wonder, besides the controls, if it'll be a stripped back port similar to Surgeon Sim on iOS or have the content of the PC game.

awp69

Might be coming tomorrow morning! (Like Rebuild 3)

Hope it shows up! Funny that both myself and More_Badass posted at the same exact time asking about it.

I sent a tweet to the Dev to see if it was still coming this week but didn't get a response.

Wow, this looks crazy

A STALKER-esque game for mobile, releasing tonight
NZ link: https://appsto.re/nz/yO2L9.i
Gameplay from a few months ago

unknown_800.jpg

1_800.jpg

awp69

Cool. Installing the lite version now. After I get a chance to play it, I'll post some impressions.

Played it a bit. It's OK. A LOT of text to read, which is unfortunate in this case because the characters are Russian (and I assume the devs are as well) and the translation is pretty bad.

Visuals and controls are decent but I have too many other better games to devote my time to to warrant muddling through all the text boxes, etc.

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't know why I'm so addicted to Apocalypse Meow, but I can't stop playing it.

But it's like a cheaper (freemium-er) / worse version of Sky Force 2014 with a couple new ideas (different types of ships/pilots) but little else.
even so, that makes it not horrible, just not great

I tried it, but Sky Force 2014 is like a 200 hour shmup, and that looks like it could easily be double but doesn't have the benefit of the snazzy Raptor Call of the Shadows feel to the graphics/explosions.

awp69

I don't know why I'm so addicted to Apocalypse Meow, but I can't stop playing it.

It's a nice Sky Force style shmup so addiction is understandable.

I was looking at the Rock(s) Riders HD re-release tonight, but damn almost a gigabyte download so who knows how big it is installed. On a side note, that name still drives me crazy. Was the s in parentheses really necessary?

Edit: was beaten to the Sky Force 2014 comparison. I also prefer Sky Force, but cats in a shmup? Can't go too wrong with that. Still wish both games had been premium.

It's a nice Sky Force style shmup so addiction is understandable.

Edit: was beaten to the Sky Force 2014 comparison. I also prefer Sky Force, but cats in a shmup? Can't go too wrong with that. Still wish both games had been premium.

It's weird, just like with Sky Force I feel like my addiction is BECAUSE it is a free to play game. Like every time I get tons of currency I feel like I'm "beating the system."

EDIT: Speaking of Sky Force, did the same people work on both games, because they are EXACTLY the same. If not, oh my.

Odd that it's $5 on iOS, it was a free update for Goat Simulator on PC.
That is unusual

Maybe they're treating the expansions as seperate games to keep download/install size down?

Very rare to see something free on PC be paid on IOS. It's not unheard of though. Michael Brough's games were freeware, Canabalt was flash, etc.

Top Bottom