• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2015 | GOing back to school with a backlog

PittaGAF

I guess that happens when you lose all 4 abilities. End of the road since you have nothing left to attack with... IMO.

Let's just say that 6 Belladonna and several Cheerleaders protecting them in a close and cramped room, with other things....well....they can get very nasty.

I had to completely reconfigure my usual setup to beat that encounter....pretty awesome.
And it took me a while to experiment the various combo.

Let's just say that 6 Belladonna and several Cheerleaders protecting them in a close and cramped room, with other things....well....they can get very nasty.

I had to completely reconfigure my usual setup to beat that encounter....pretty awesome.
And it took me a while to experiment the various combo.
Wait till you get to Recursion mode (aka New Game +)

PittaGAF

Out There is coming out with an Easy Mode?

dope, will finally check thatout

TBH I'm not sure it will lose a bit of its appeal with the easy mode.
It is a brutal game, but you can see you improving till finally reaching the first endings the more you play.

The cemetery mode will be hopefully an happy medium between the original difficulty and a more approachable first part at the very least.
If you were scared by the difficulty, I would start there before resorting to the easy mode.

PittaGAF

Wait till you get to Recursion mode (aka New Game +)

Eh....I confess I'm not a fan of game+ modes or something, if they do not add anything new to the story.
I played a bit of Bastion with all or some of the limiters activated (I see you can do the same in Transistor) but I lost interest after a while.
It's all story for me :)

To anyone who completed Transistor...I'm curious (no spoiler please) where I am.

I went all up in the tower...'met' the two guys that invented the transistor sword and possibly ressponsabile of what's happening...then I went all way down, met several times the worm, got the motorbike again....

am_dragon

TBH I'm not sure it will lose a bit of its appeal with the easy mode.
It is a brutal game, but you can see you improving till finally reaching the first endings the more you play.

The cemetery mode will be hopefully an happy medium between the original difficulty and a more approachable first part at the very least.
If you were scared by the difficulty, I would start there before resorting to the easy mode.

Cemetery Mode: Awesome I found my old stuff, but I still don't have enough fuel to leave the system.

As hard as it is, if you take the punishment, you will start to learn. It's not long before you are traveling further and further. Finding new ships, or unexpected resources when you are "Out There" is so satisfying. Like any rogue like you will hit bad luck and die fast. After a few hours you start to understand the safe limits and make better decisions.

SuperPac

On the off chance you never picked up our classic, original premium version of Flick Kick Football, it's currently free for the next week (and Apple's Free App of the Week!). The IAP in there is just for cosmetic items.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flick-kick-football/id376481969?mt=8

Best played in a pub with a pint in the other hand.

Congrats on the feature! Flick Kick Football is one of my favorite iPhone games ever.

One of my all time fave iOS games, Bring Me Sandwiches, got an update. Just 'back end' though :(

I can confirm it really is just "back end." We updated it earlier this year with widescreen support and fixed the crashes on iPad (and yes, added ads too). It is unlikely there will be any future content updates to it though.

I can confirm it really is just "back end." We updated it earlier this year with widescreen support and fixed the crashes on iPad (and yes, added ads too). It is unlikely there will be any future content updates to it though.

shame. great that it's been updated for newer devices though. Might have another play through.

awp69

Okay, why is no one talking about that new Power Ping Pong game? A premium game published by Chillingo, beautiful graphics, $4.99, zero IAPs, and online multiplayer. 2nd Featured spot, too.

I'm interested in this but just have too much to play and have been struggling big time with space limitations. I really liked Table Tennis Touch, but sucked at it so bad that I didn't get very far in the game :(

PittaGAF

The new Appstore new gaming Twitter account is on a roll today.
They are hinting at tourneys, challenges, interviews, previews....
Gaming will be a major focus for sure next week.

Would it be a pipe dream to hope that Apple gives games their own dedicated storefront like movies and music?

killercow

Would it be a pipe dream to hope that Apple gives games their own dedicated storefront like movies and music?

Another application? I don't think I want that. And i fail to see what it would bring, especially if, like the twitter handle seems to allude to, it will be about major freemium games. I'd rather see a better editorialized content in the store than some of the crap that my local appstore chooses as app of the week :D

Matt Frost

I really like what that Twitter account is doing and what games they highlighted yesterday:

Leo's Fortune
Device 6
Sword & Sworcery
Monument Valley
and
Heads Up!

All of them premium without a single IAP. To be noted. Wasn't expecting this. Amazing.

And next week is going to be awesome as well:

Monday's: Teasing upcoming games (amazing IMO, excellent feature)
Tuesday's: Get #Unstuck on your games
Wednesday's: #LikeAPro, mindblowing skills from the best players
Wednesday's: #OneChallengeAWeek
Saturdays: Focus on 1 game all day

Loving it so far. Kind of my favorite Twitter account ever...

Follow them here: https://twitter.com/AppStoreGames

Total shameless plug: And follow me as well. The second best iOS Twitter account highlighting the best games with a whooping and totally unexpected 203 followers LOL: https://twitter.com/Matt__Frost

PittaGAF

In two hours, the AppStore gaming account will have a chat with the Walking Dead creator.

Here we go.

They picked up as highlights already some of my fav devs, all indie.
Looks promising.

okno

Playing Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds right now, and its making me want a golf game of the same caliber on iPhone. Maybe a mini golf game. Anyone know of a solid golf game on iOS, preferably one that doesn't take itself too seriously?

awp69

Playing Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds right now, and its making me want a golf game of the same caliber on iPhone. Maybe a mini golf game. Anyone know of a solid golf game on iOS, preferably one that doesn't take itself too seriously?

Most of the "good" ones are 2D side scroller style games like Super Stickman Golf and Desert Golfing. Can't think of much in the way of 3D games that I've played, at least.

If you don't mind mini golf type games, Astro Golf is kind of a silly, fun robot/space themed game.

Edit: Sadly, looks like Astro Golf was pulled from the store.

okno

Most of the "good" ones are 2D side scooter style games like Super Stickman Golf and Desert Golfing. Can't think of much in the way of 3D games that I've played, at least.

If you don't mind mini golf type games, Astro Golf is kind of a silly, fun robot/space themed game.

Edit: Sadly, looks like Astro Golf was pulled from the store.

Yeah, I already have, and love, Super Stickman Golf. Also have Wonderputt, which is freaking amazing. I want more of that!

Hopefully something will come out soon... Hot Shot-style golf games used to be all the rage years ago, but now they don't exist. So sad...

JCho133

I really like what that Twitter account is doing and what games they highlighted yesterday:

Leo's Fortune
Device 6
Sword & Sworcery
Monument Valley
and
Heads Up!

All of them premium without a single IAP. To be noted. Wasn't expecting this. Amazing.

Not that impressed by that choice of games. Everyone has already heard of them and they've all been featured on multiple Apple Lists more than once. Kinda predictable.

Also.... Heads Up has IAPs.

Decided to pick up Rebuild 3 after seeing the positive reviews of the PC version, and this is the real deal, folks

A deep, expansive 4X Civilization-lite in the zombie apocalypse. Factions to deal with, skills, tech trees, resources and buildings, narrative text (with a 200,000+ word count!) and choices, a colorful art style, polished UI, a ton of modifiers.

$5 is a steal for Rebuild 3

Matt Frost

Too late for Frost, but since we had been talking about it, thought I'd mention that the excellent futuristic racer Repulze is on sale for free. Even being several years old, it's still one of the best and beautiful racers on iOS.

Pixelbite's DSS games of late have been great but I would LOVE a follow up to Repulze.

It is only a dollar, I dont mind supporting them. Bought Repulze and Space Marshals. Now I need to install them both from iTunes since downloads on my iPhone are extremely slow, dont know why, but takes hours to download a 95mb update. Damn.

Space Marshals seems to be quite epic by the way from what I seen, now I need space and time to see it by myself...

Yours and killercow's are the only 2 iOS gaming Twitter accounts i need, thanks for efforts! Following Apple's for now to see what kind of stuff they're highlighting.

Awww, thank you! <3 <3 <3 Yes, killercow is a good one with all the new releases (which I kind of know already, but others dont), is like the Twitter version of Pixelated Paradise.

Not that impressed by that choice of games. Everyone has already heard of them and they've all been featured on multiple Apple Lists more than once. Kinda predictable.

Also.... Heads Up has IAPs.

I was expecting other things... I really liked it. Each pick showed was the platform was good at, like:

Leo´s Fortune - Shows that a touchscreen and imagination can play challenging platformers.

Device 6 - Shows that you can make new ways of storytelling with the options at hand on iOS.

Sword & Sworcery - Shows that even tiny indie developers (at that time it was unknown) can make the most of their tools and come up with some of the most impressive sound design any game wish to have.

Monument Valley - Showed that amazing graphics doesn't need to be 3D or have the maximum polygon count possible.

And Heads Up! shows that you can play silly stuff with your friends on the move, a bit like Nintendo.

A little bit for everyone and (except a few harmless ones) all premium apps without IAP. IMO.

Benedict

Finished the campaign for Loot & Legends.
Felt abrupt and disappointing.
Since the game still suffers from lot of crashes I won't return to this game and the arena.
Sad, since the game had such potential and was fun on PC.
Feels fine that I didn't spend any money on it.

PittaGAF

I just completed Transistor.
It was awesome like Bastion, I highly recommend it and it's a must have IMHO.
Plays wonderfully on both iPad and iPhone.
But that said, I must confess I liked Bastion more, despite Transistor has better gameplay and even the setting was better to me.
But it's really too easy....I died like 3 times the whole game and once in the final battle.
It's much shorter too.
But my biggest gripe (not really...it's an awesome game) is the story...which is super cool but even after completing it...it remains too vague IMHO.
Bastion one was vague too...but after you complete it you have a clear idea of what was going on and you knew everything about each character....here...not...it's too vague after completing it (and yes, I've read all the bios trying all types of power combinations).
Still great...but I wish they explained a bit more the place, the story and the characters.

I do not think they will explain anything more...But I didn't complete all the challenges in the sand sandbox :)

I just completed Transistor.
It was awesome like Bastion, I highly recommend it and it's a must have IMHO.
Plays wonderfully on both iPad and iPhone.
But that said, I must confess I liked Bastion more, despite Transistor has better gameplay and even the setting was better to me.
But it's really too easy....I died like 3 times the whole game and once in the final battle.
It's much shorter too.
But my biggest gripe (not really...it's an awesome game) is the story...which is super cool but even after completing it...it remains too vague IMHO.
Bastion one was vague too...but after you complete it you have a clear idea of what was going on and you knew everything about each character....here...not...it's too vague after completing it (and yes, I've read all the bios trying all types of power combinations).
Still great...but I wish they explained a bit more the place, the story and the characters.

I do not think they will explain anything more...But I didn't complete all the challenges in the sand sandbox :)
If you thought it was too easy, I do recommend the new game plus. Enemies are leveled up from the start, plus you have all the abilities you unlocked

Did you use any limiters? Those add extra challenge as well

PittaGAF

If you thought it was too easy, I do recommend the new game plus. Enemies are leveled up from the start, plus you have all the abilities you unlocked

Did you use any limiters? Those add extra challenge as well

I'm almost halfway of the game in recursion mode already.
Yes I activated (and deactivated) some limiters to spice up things.
I feel it's a tad too easy anyway...but it's not my problem.
Well...I do not have any problems with the game (Bastion was longer and harder out of the box), I just wish the story was a bit more explained.

Li Kao

Decided to pick up Rebuild 3 after seeing the positive reviews of the PC version, and this is the real deal, folks

A deep, expansive 4X Civilization-lite in the zombie apocalypse. Factions to deal with, skills, tech trees, resources and buildings, narrative text (with a 200,000+ word count!) and choices, a colorful art style, polished UI, a ton of modifiers.

I don't know in what way the game changed from the second one but '4X Civ-lite' feels strange. Then again, if it's anything like the last one, the 'one more turn' effect must be in full force ^_^

heringer

Haven't played yet, but I got to say I miss the corny artstyle of characters of the first one.

PittaGAF

After completing my backlog and waiting a bit before diving in This War of Mine (the only game that remains in my to buy list).....I finally properly tried Out There Omega.

The 'new' game somehow must have tweaked my time continuum because two solid hours were lost.

The gold ending seems a bit extreme, but tomorrow I'll go for it.

TLDR: it's amazing.

Oh, I forgot....THE MUSIC...the added vocals gave me a 70 scifi vibe that's SO GOOD....

After completing my backlog and waiting a bit before diving in This War of Mine (the only game that remains in my to buy list).....I finally properly tried Out There Omega.

The 'new' game somehow must have tweaked my time continuum because two solid hours were lost.

The gold ending seems a bit extreme, but tomorrow I'll go for it.

TLDR: it's amazing.

Oh, I forgot....THE MUSIC...the added vocals gave me a 70 scifi vibe that's SO GOOD....
I'm kind of shocked that you haven't really checked out Omega till now.

I love the new planet visuals and the overall graphical overhaul. Can't wait for the Multiverse updates

awp69

Wonder if Devolver Digital will ever publish their games on iOS?

They just released Titan Souls and Hotline Miami 2 on Android (Shield exclusive, I believe) and have Luftrausers, the first Hotline Miami and The Talos Principle out for a while now.

Perhaps whenever their contract with Nvidia runs out I guess. I think all but Talos require a gamepad though. Which brings up a question. Are there any iOS games that you know of that require a gamepad with no touch screen options?

PittaGAF

I'm kind of shocked that you haven't really checked out Omega till now.

I love the new planet visuals and the overall graphical overhaul. Can't wait for the Multiverse updates

Eh...too many games!!!
I did briefly tried Omega, but not for long as there were new games (Desthwatch cough cough...) and I already completed it.
But yesterday I found new content already (like the monolith) and was addicted all over again!!!

Wonder if Devolver Digital will ever publish their games on iOS?

They just released Titan Souls and Hotline Miami 2 on Android (Shield exclusive, I believe) and have Luftrausers, the first Hotline Miami and The Talos Principle out for a while now.
Luftrausers could work really well on touch

Ronin and Dropsy are coming to IOS

And Devolver already has Always Sometimes Monster on IOS

I'm hooked on Card Crawl now. Finally winning matches, sometimes in a row, getting higher scores and unlocking new cards. It's so addictive

Haden

Banned
Let's finally see what This War of Mine is about...
Brilliant game played it on pc but will double dip at some point and get it on iPad.

Transistor is fantastic I love the iPad but sometimes it feels like I am always playing turn based games. While transistor is kind of turn based it feels like an action game with a really strong narrative, which is something that can feel missing from iPad games.

What I really want is more games like this and one day paradox strategy games, that would be glorious!

okno

Having such a blast still with Space Marshals. Haven't even finished chapter 1, and it feels like I've been playing it for so long! Anyone know how long chapters 2 and 3 are? I'm going to be so sad when it's over. The wait for SM2 is going to be tough.

But even though I'm spending so much time playing it, I'm so tempted to get Don't Starve ;_; Must. Resist. Urge.

awp69

I don't understand the App Store sometimes. Just was reading that Darkin had been pulled (guess a while ago). I get that the dev didn't do well and stopped mobile game development completely and thus didn't pay to renew their publishing license. But why does Apple have to completely remove an app even from purchase history?

Server space is so cheap these days I think keeping customers happy with the ability to access their purchases outweighs any desire to save money by deleting games for redownload.

I don't understand the App Store sometimes. Just was reading that Darkin had been pulled (guess a while ago). I get that the dev didn't do well and stopped mobile game development completely and thus didn't pay to renew their publishing license. But why does Apple have to completely remove an app even from purchase history?

Server space is so cheap these days I think keeping customers happy with the ability to access their purchases outweighs any desire to save money by deleting games for redownload.
Perhaps they don't want to encourage the kind of stuff that happened when Flappy Bird was removed, and you had people selling iPhones with Flappy Bird installed on eBay

But either way, it's weird. Maybe Mario or one of the devs could shed some light

was watching some old apple events (yes, really). iOS gaming has come a long way:

iPhone OS 2.0 Preview - March 2008

Touch Fighter (demo)
touch-fighter.jpg

Spore - EA
Town-Hall-Spore-iPhone-Demo-2.jpg

Monkey Ball - Sega
hqdefault.jpg

WWDC 2008

Monkey Ball - Sega
monkey-ball-iphone-2.jpg

Enigmo - Pangea
wwdc-keynote_092.jpg

Cro-Mag Rally - Pangea
cro-mag-rally-iphone-1.jpg

Kroll - Digital Legends
dig-leg-3.jpg

Matt Frost

Indeed, iOS has improved a lot over the years with the inclusion of GameCenter, 3D, Metal and Multi Touch to name a few. And there has been a lot of games made for iOS that shows how the platform has evolved and what developers can do with them, making unique games that couldn't exist on other platforms (okay... maybe Android :p). Love iOS for that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, in between Transistor I managed to finish Prune. What a fantastic and beautiful experience that was. Enjoyed every second of it, definitely never though pruning trees would be so entertaining. One of those special games that comes out once in a while like World of Goo, Monument Valley,... and now Prune. Pure enjoyment.

Xenoflare

was watching some old apple events (yes, really). iOS gaming has come a long way:

iPhone OS 2.0 Preview - March 2008

Touch Fighter (demo)
touch-fighter.jpg

Spore - EA
Town-Hall-Spore-iPhone-Demo-2.jpg

Monkey Ball - Sega
hqdefault.jpg

WWDC 2008

Monkey Ball - Sega
monkey-ball-iphone-2.jpg

Enigmo - Pangea
wwdc-keynote_092.jpg

Cro-Mag Rally - Pangea
cro-mag-rally-iphone-1.jpg

Kroll - Digital Legends
dig-leg-3.jpg

Oh god I remember super monkey ball. Reminds me of the day when my itouch 1st gen still ran stuff.

There was Monkey ball, a Motorbike game and Taptap revenge. Oh and there was this tank game too where you buy differnet weapons where you take out the opposing tank.

God seeing those made me weirdly nostalgic. Never thought those games would still stick with me.

Top Bottom