• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2015 | GOing back to school with a backlog

There was Monkey ball, a Motorbike game and Taptap revenge.

Super Monkey Ball was the first app i bought on the first day of the app store.

Motorbike game was probably Moto Chaser:

ss0.jpg

I played the shit of that.

Xenoflare

Super Monkey Ball was the first app i bought on the first day of the app store.

Motorbike game was probably Moto Chaser:

ss0.jpg

I played the shit of that.

The motorbike game for me was one that takes place in an arena or something that you can do tricks and stuff in addition to racing, it was so long ago I can only recall the graphics

Emarv

Beat Lara Croft GO. I guess I'm one of the rare ones who enjoyed Hitman GO infinitely more than LCGO, not that it's a bad game by any means.

Double D

Beat Lara Croft GO. I guess I'm one of the rare ones who enjoyed Hitman GO infinitely more than LCGO, not that it's a bad game by any means.

I also liked hitman much more. Mainly because of the replayability of hitman. LC is a great game but once you go through it once there's really no reason to go back and replay the levels.

I finished it today and I'm with you on that. I did enjoy my time with Lara but the puzzles didn't scratch the same logic puzzle itch that the ones in Hitman did and the secrets being nothing more then a background 'Where's Wally' hunt were disappointingly simple. Especially after how in Hitman Go the briefcases were so good at naturally making you want to replay levels to find the harder solution.

Matt Frost

Just finished Transistor. With that and Bastion under their belt I only expect another true masterpiece from SuperGiant Games next. Loved every second of it. And the controls, except for the part that the screen is a bit too small sometimes when its full of enemies and white structures, is the best of all systems I played it: Steam, PS4 and iOS. Nice story and ending. A game with both graphics and gameplay in equal measure. Plays as good as it looks. Recursion mode here I come :D

JCho133

Having such a blast still with Space Marshals. Haven't even finished chapter 1, and it feels like I've been playing it for so long! Anyone know how long chapters 2 and 3 are? I'm going to be so sad when it's over. The wait for SM2 is going to be tough.

But even though I'm spending so much time playing it, I'm so tempted to get Don't Starve ;_; Must. Resist. Urge.

All the chapters are about the same size/length

PittaGAF

Just finished Transistor. With that and Bastion under their belt I only expect another true masterpiece from SuperGiant Games next. Loved every second of it. And the controls, except for the part that the screen is a bit too small sometimes when its full of enemies and white structures, is the best of all systems I played it: Steam, PS4 and iOS. Nice story and ending. A game with both graphics and gameplay in equal measure. Plays as good as it looks. Recursion mode here I come :D

I felt the same, but I really wish the story was a bit more explained.

Why the Camerata need to kill people in the first place?
Where are you? Inside a computer, You are a program? A Matrix?
How the process was born exactly? And the Transistor?

I feel Transistor 2 should be in order :p

Matt Frost

I felt the same, but I really wish the story was a bit more explained.

Why the Camerata need to kill people in the first place?
Where are you? Inside a computer, You are a program? A Matrix?
How the process was born exactly? And the Transistor?

I feel Transistor 2 should be in order :p

WARNING: HUGE SPOILER OF TRANSISTOR, PRETTY MUCH ALL THE STORY FROM MY POINT OF VIEW...

I think they wanted to purge the system. I believe you are in some kind of virtual reality thing, the name cloud bank refers to something like it. The process was born to work in the shadows and help the Camerata purge the system. But then they lost Transistor you you by accident, then the process grew a will on its own, Transistor was the key to controlling the Process, was born to control that. Camerata tried to stop it but without the sword was impossible so they pretty much killed themselves going the coward way (well, seeing that at the end there were two swords, this doesn't make much sense). After finishing both, the robots and the last guy, Red realizes everything is an illusion and knows the way out, the way to end all that since she can shape the place on her will?!?!?!?!? and Campo was the real world??!?!?! Some things escape me, what did you make out of Transistor?

I can't get over how good Card Crawl is. Didn't really like it at first but now I'm playing it all the time. Anyone else still playing it?

PittaGAF

WARNING: HUGE SPOILER OF TRANSISTOR, PRETTY MUCH ALL THE STORY FROM MY POINT OF VIEW...

I think they wanted to purge the system. I believe you are in some kind of virtual reality thing, the name cloud bank refers to something like it. The process was born to work in the shadows and help the Camerata purge the system. But then they lost Transistor you you by accident, then the process grew a will on its own, Transistor was the key to controlling the Process, was born to control that. Camerata tried to stop it but without the sword was impossible so they pretty much killed themselves going the coward way (well, seeing that at the end there were two swords, this doesn't make much sense). After finishing both, the robots and the last guy, Red realizes everything is an illusion and knows the way out, the way to end all that since she can shape the place on her will?!?!?!?!? and Campo was the real world??!?!?! Some things escape me, what did you make out of Transistor?

HUGE SPOILERS OF COURSE

I think about the same.
I think you are in a sort of Matrix that resembles the real world.
The world is being 'processed'/deleted because of a malfunction caused by the Camerata, that pursued some objectives not really clear to me (why they wanted to kill Red?).
Camerata being some sort of shadow government and control power.

Sybil is the best character besides Red and her lover....at least they explain her motivations.

The worm thing, other than using a tech-word, isn't really explained.

The final fight makes no sense to me too...if they had a second Transistor....why they needed yours?
Also...you see a TON of Transistor swords in the final stages.

That's the only critique I can move to the game...there are too many holes in the plot...everything else is outstanding.
It is much better as a game than Bastion, but story in Bastion was more panned out imho.
In the end they explained everything, and what they didn't wasn't really important and left to your imagination.

So I think everyone would be happy with an imminent Transistor 2...maybe a prequel explaining things :p

awp69

Star Wars Uprising is launching this Thursday. From what I've played, it's pretty "meh".

I played a bit of the soft launch and thought it pretty much sucked. Wish Disney would make a premium Star Wars game worthy of the license.

I'd personally love a Rogue Squadron type game or a modernized version of Jedi Outcast.

Matt Frost

...there are too many holes in the plot...everything else is outstanding.
It is much better as a game than Bastion, but story in Bastion was more panned out imho.
In the end they explained everything, and what they didn't wasn't really important and left to your imagination.

So I think everyone would be happy with an imminent Transistor 2...maybe a prequel explaining things :p

I think so too,

Transistor > Bastion. For pretty much one of the best combat systems I ever seen in my life, gameplay is better in every way to Bastion.
Bastion > Transistor. In regards of the story and how its told. I ended up knowing everything. In Transistor I still need to figure out some things.

So, yes, this could easily be resolved in Transistor 2. I am eager to play it.

Xenoflare

Anyone here tried rebuild 3 yet?

I remember the previous game can be played on the web for free as a browser game so I never bothered buying a port of a free game that can be legally played. But this new one seems interesting and I would like to know more of it.

Anyone here tried rebuild 3 yet?

I remember the previous game can be played on the web for free as a browser game so I never bothered buying a port of a free game that can be legally played. But this new one seems interesting and I would like to know more of it.
Actually the mobile version was an expanded version of Rebuild 2

The new one is a massive expansion of the core formula, with factions to deal with, skills and tech trees, enough narrative text to rival Sorcery 1 and 2, a campaign with different cities, a colorful art style, and other elements

Xenoflare

Actually the mobile version was an expanded version of Rebuild 2

The new one is a massive expansion of the core formula, with factions to deal with, skills and tech trees, enough narrative text to rival Sorcery 1 and 2, a campaign with different cities, a colorful art style, and other elements

Ugh, my wish list is starting to look intimidating

Never thought I'd get into mobile games.

Also with the 6S coming out in two days I sure hope the 6 can last a long while before games get choppy.

I was never huge on phone gaming so I don't know how often these get obsolete :/

Games on android kinda heats up my phones quite a bit regardless of the device so that's why I never really started gaming on mobile.

Woooooah sorry for the rant, but yeah. Wish listed for sure.

Ugh, my wish list is starting to look intimidating

Never thought I'd get into mobile games.

Also with the 6S coming out in two days I sure hope the 6 can last a long while before games get choppy.

I was never huge on phone gaming so I don't know how often these get obsolete :/

Games on android kinda heats up my phones quite a bit regardless of the device so that's why I never really started gaming on mobile.

Woooooah sorry for the rant, but yeah. Wish listed for sure.
To be honest, the best advice I can say is: consider an iPad (or a Mini)

I played on iPhone for the longest time, but now that I have an iPad, I can't go back. Some games are best suited for iPhone, like Sorcery or Hoplite or Card Crawl, but overall, everything is improved by the larger screen.

A 6 should last for a while

And I know what you mean. Now my gaming time is split between PC and mobile. And the rate of good games is pretty overwhelming nowadays.

Xenoflare

To be honest, the best advice I can say is: consider an iPad (or a Mini)

I played on iPhone for the longest time, but now that I have an iPad, I can't go back. Some games are best suited for iPhone, like Sorcery or Hoplite or Card Crawl, but overall, everything is improved by the larger screen.

A 6 should last for a while

And I know what you mean. Now my gaming time is split between PC and mobile. And the rate of good games is pretty overwhelming nowadays.

I'm really interested in the Mini 4 if the rumored specs are true. I love the form factor of the Mini and I don't mind if it's just smaller Air 2 in terms of specs.

I didn't get any of the iPads because the 1GB ram on a display that is so high in resolution really irks me. Though getting a mini 4 might bite me in the ass hard since I'm in Canada and our dollar is woefully weak at this point.

awp69

I'm really interested in the Mini 4 if the rumored specs are true. I love the form factor of the Mini and I don't mind if it's just smaller Air 2 in terms of specs.

I didn't get any of the iPads because the 1GB ram on a display that is so high in resolution really irks me. Though getting a mini 4 might bite me in the ass hard since I'm in Canada and our dollar is woefully weak at this point.

The Mini size is perfect for gaming IMO. Not as unwieldy as an iPad, but sooooo much better than an iPhone. Couldn't imagine going back to a smaller screen.

Been lucky that the Mini 2 has had a longer than normal lifespan since the Mini 3 was exactly the same except Touch ID.

The Mini 4 would be a great choice. May be my next device, but not for a long time to come. Probably wait until games start surpassing it.

Xenoflare

The Mini size is perfect for gaming IMO. Not as unwieldy as an iPad, but sooooo much better than an iPhone. Couldn't imagine going back to a smaller screen.

Been lucky that the Mini 2 has had a longer than normal lifespan since the Mini 3 was exactly the same except Touch ID.

The Mini 4 would be a great choice. May be my next device, but not for a long time to come. Probably wait until games start surpassing it.

Definitely, I've seen people with the minis and their fancy little flip cases.

The size is perfect for immersion and portability. The regular iPads are just too clumsy for me to use.

okno

I'm hoping the 6S+ brings some parity to the iPads in terms of app development. I'm gunning for the 6S+ to replace my broken ass 5s (I've lived with a broken screen for 18 months now, it's a new record!), but I am also dying to have a mini again... I can't afford both, so I'm hoping against all hope that the + will now be able to handle iPad games, as well...

I really, really, really miss playing games on my mini. It's a huge chore playing many games on the 5s, especially through a broken a screen.

I have my hopes set way, way too high for Wednesday, so might as well just start being disappointed now.

Here goes: :(

-psygnosis-

Neo Member
I can't get over how good Card Crawl is. Didn't really like it at first but now I'm playing it all the time. Anyone else still playing it?

Playing since it came out, not much lately though. But it's my go to game to play something quick on the bus!

Also finished Lara Croft GO, was a wonderful experience but as mentioned no replayability left me a bit sad, Id like to go and collect all the things for the outfits, but no reason to do so :/

Now onto seashine, divided by sheep and downloaded a few other games that looked cool art wise like warriors and giant ape.

PittaGAF

Anything interesting for this week or tomorrow event will eclipse everything?
Do we know? Is anything particular announced?

I wonder if Apple have some aces in their sleeve, if they really want to push the new Apple TV in the gaming console arena as the rumors say....like big franchises or partnerships (something they never did).

While I love my Apple TV and of course I love iOS gaming, to the point that my PC and consoles are getting dust since years now, I'm pretty skeptical about a big penetration in the traditional console arena...because the games that are popular there (mostly 3D, action titles and FPS) are trash on iOS.
Those aren't genres that appeal me any more, so it's ok for me, but the vast majority of gamers will still laugh at it (missing a ton of must play imho...but that's another point).

Matt Frost

So far, the rumours say: Force Touch, iPad Pro (12 inches screen), new iPad mini, Apple TV with Wii style remote, iOS 9 (finally), El Capitan and the usual iPhone 6S and 6S Plus.

Really glad that iOS 9 will be out and you guys can enjoy it. Huge improvement. And beta will end for me as well.

PittaGAF

So far, the rumours say: Force Touch, iPad Pro (12 inches screen), new iPad mini, Apple TV with Wii style remote, iOS 9 (finally), El Capitan and the usual iPhone 6S and 6S Plus.

Really glad that iOS 9 will be out and you guys can enjoy it. Huge improvement. And beta will end for me as well.

Sorry for the misunderstand....I know the rumors and can't wait to install iOS 9 myself...I meant any particular GAME announced for this week :)

I wonder if Apple have some aces in their sleeve, if they really want to push the new Apple TV in the gaming console arena as the rumors say....like big franchises or partnerships (something they never did).

While I love my Apple TV and of course I love iOS gaming, to the point that my PC and consoles are getting dust since years now, I'm pretty skeptical about a big penetration in the traditional console arena...because the games that are popular there (mostly 3D, action titles and FPS) are trash on iOS.
Those aren't genres that appeal me any more, so it's ok for me, but the vast majority of gamers will still laugh at it (missing a ton of must play imho...but that's another point).
Personally I'd love some of the more popular indie devs like Paradox or Zachtronics announcing iPad versions. Crusader Kings 2 or Infinifactory on mobile would be amazing

Matt Frost

PittaGAF

Personally I'd love some of the more popular indie devs like Paradox or Zachtronics announcing iPad versions. Crusader Kings 2 or Infinifactory on mobile would be amazing

I really wish the new Apple TV (and iOS in general) becoming the indie paradise and their preferred platform...but that would do almost nothing for it to be recognized as a console competitor (not more than it is now anyway).
So I wonder if Apple has something else in their sleeve.
Probably not...they have certainly the power, but they didn't really seem interested till now.

According to rumors the new AppleTV has same power of latest devices so they can't count on raw power.
As all the rumors say it will be a gaming centric event (the AppleTV one at least) I wonder if they have something new that actual iPad or iPhone haven't.
I doubt it but I hope.

I play on my AppletTV already....lag aside (which matters only in specific games I generally don't care about) I can't see anything really new on the horizon, and I'm sure it won't be the case...so I wonder.

I really wish the new Apple TV (and iOS in general) becoming the indie paradise and their preferred platform...but that would do almost nothing for it to be recognized as a console competitor (not more than it is now anyway).
So I wonder if Apple has something else in their sleeve.
Probably not...they have certainly the power, but they didn't really seem interested till now.

According to rumors the new AppleTV has same power of latest devices so they can't count on raw power.
As all the rumors say it will be a gaming centric event (the AppleTV one at least) I wonder if they have something new that actual iPad or iPhone haven't.
I doubt it but I hope.

I play on my AppletTV already....lag aside (which matters only in specific games I generally don't care about) I can't see anything really new on the horizon, and I'm sure it won't be the case...so I wonder.
I wonder why they started that IOS Gaming Twitter account now. I'd like to think it's because games will be a big focus on the event.

PittaGAF

I wonder why they started that IOS Gaming Twitter account now. I'd like to think it's because games will be a big focus on the event.

Everyone thinks so....gaming being a big focus of the even.
WSJ, generally close to Apple and well informed, is sure of it.
That's why I really wonder if we will see 'just' a new Apple TV with an AppStore, connected controllers and possibly (USA only) TV streaming service....or if there is more gaming related.

Besides the usual Apple/marketing stuff...if it will be just that and they will show already existing iOS games just running on TV....I would be hard pressed to call the event 'gaming focused'....so I wonder.

awp69

Still many games that you have issues with with iOS9?

Matt Frost

Still many games that you have issues with with iOS9?

No, not really, some doesn't have sound like Whale Trail or Race the Sun stopped working with beta 2, not much else. I just want the developers to start using App Thinning and jailbreak to be gone once and for all.

awp69

No, not really, some doesn't have sound like Whale Trail or Race the Sun stopped working with beta 2, not much else. I just want the developers to start using App Thinning and jailbreak to be gone once and for all.

That's good. Might be the first iOS release I don't wait a while on.

And, yeah, anxious for devs to take advantage of whatever that "thinning" thing does too. More room for more games :).

Matt Frost

That's good. Might be the first iOS release I don't wait a while on.

And, yeah, anxious for devs to take advantage of whatever that "thinning" thing does too. More room for more games :).

If you want and to be sure, you can tell me the games you have installed and you need them and I will check if they work for you.

More room for more games is just what I need as well :)

Matt Frost

Seems next to useless with content blockers coming next week. Why switch to a 3rd party browser when Safari will be able to do it?

Ehh I already have that one on iOS 9 iPhone 6 and this new one is a lot better... in almost every way... faster (way faster), ad blocker works so much better (after all is from the leading company in that ad block field), I now need to adjust to the new layout. With that and TypeMail I renewed my most basic apps today.

awp69

Yeah I already have it installed, it blocks all ads and save up to 21% in battery plus its only 7mb. Plus is really fast loading websites, faster than Safari.

Sounds great. I've been using Dolphin for my browser because Safari just sucks all around. Not sure if they updated it with iOS 9. Regardless, going to give this a try.

Edit: So downloaded...is there no way to import bookmarks?

Top Bottom