• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming November 2014: GLORIOUS!™

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
ioPs3Ht2eLoVm.png

i96b6LeWTYrPw.png

Each month, the iOS GAF community hosts a thread for new game releases, rumors and discussion that define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain games that released both towards the end of the previous month and games that have released during the current month.
All the games listed will have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

Also keep an eye out for the ‘GAF iOS Challenges’; events where GAF battle it out on the Game Center leaderboards of a chosen game for both fame and fortune (prizes donated by members of our community).

If you're a developer who wishes to have your game featured, please talk about your game in the thread and if the GAF community at large likes the game then your wish just might be granted. Please note that there's a difference between posting about a game you made and just advertising your game with no further interaction with the community, this thread is not for the latter and such advertising behavior is frowned upon.

issq3pkvt2NKA.png

iTgvQ6IGOyZpe.png

i3htm7OFAc5zf.png

iQfRKRRrxC4O2.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

Surprisingly the touch controls work! They don't look great but I've played enough to know that you can do the entire game with them. It's not ideal but it does the job. Performance is also great on my air but it dips when I hide in bushes. Other than that (and the compressed audio), this port is really impressive.

iyDeaUpZsOQOo.png

iDn1hiupjMoC5.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

I've been playing this, and I can confirm that the port is excellent. It is such a nice experience on the iPad.
Tunesmith said:
My favorite point and click adventure game of all time, now in my pocket. Can't get much better than this!

ibrTSiR4rZvcgC.png

ibkcCrIbMR7IT5.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

As an old school Frogger fan, really digging Crossy Road. Just one of those "gotta try one more time" games.

I never understood the Flappy Bird phenomenon but, boy...am I addicted to Crossy Road!!!

Just unlocked Gandalf...hilarious.
The game is great, and the IAP is painless. My favorite character so far is the fish, how he moves is hilarious too... saw your score [Pitta] on twitter... I have to get back on track but Kingdom Rush Origins doesnt let me... damn..
Crossy Road - Really addictive. Nice colorful voxel art style, and simple tight controls. Going to be hooked on this for a while

iXcpVBNnyQfHz.png

icUZwb6L4SCnb.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

So far it seems to me that is the best one yet. There are a lot of little additions here and there -like enemies going into waterfalls or along rivers- that makes an even more engrossing experience. The IAP most powerful heroes are: A walking tree that seems powerful for 5$, a magic dragon that seems even more powerful for 7$ and two "coming soon" heroes. But the basic hero -an elf archer- that comes for free seems nice. Deals damage, shoots really fast. Its a good unit. The rest of the game is the same. The same polished and balanced tower defense. The best one too, followed by Sleep Attack. Need to sleep now.
I'm not a big fan of TD genre. I've played a few but none really grabbed me.

But I decided to try Kingdom Rush Origins anyway.

After playing a few levels, I really like it, I think. Like I said, I have very little experience with TD, but here's my thoughts on why Kingdom Rush is considered top dog:

- It's easy to get into, but gets HARD pretty fast. This is probably because I suck at TD's, but I think the game will kick my ass pretty hard.
- There's something very distinct about the aesthetics. I really like the look of the game. It's simple, but charming. Same with the audio. Overall I think the presentation is very attractive, cohesive and polished, unlike a lot of generic looking games in the genre. Interface is very pleasant and polished too.
- There's a lot of micromanagement. Wow. You just don't stand idle for 10 seconds. There's always something to do. Always something to take care of. This is really different from the "set up and wait" flow I had with other games.
- Maps are very different, which makes you approach each level very differently too.
- Playing the same levels again with modifiers might be a great way to extend the length. You are not forced to do it though, so it doesn't feel like artificial padding, just more juice.

Maybe there's something else I can't define it yet, but these are the feelings this TD noob is having. Am I right or way off?

Shame there's only three heroes though. I know buying the others is not necessary, but they look so cool and must be pretty fun to play around too. A question by the way, are the heroes progressively better or just different from each other?

iKjCmxssyctWS.png

iVnHoZC2uMNIq.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

The cool thing about Framed is that it's a puzzle game first. There's a wordless narrative and it's an engaging wonderfully artistic experience, but it's first and foremost a puzzle game. There are constants - ladders and stairway make you descend or ascend when you reach them, approach enemies from behind to avoid them or knock them out, etc. - and new elements are added periodically, like rotating panels. The puzzles seem to hinge more on trial and error and experimentation than hard logic, but the trial and error in Framed is fun, due to the seamless permutations that result from you shifting the panels.

Length wise, I'm 45-50 minutes in and just reached what seems to be the third chapter/act. I have no idea how much of the game is left, but it's definitely been enjoyable so far and tricky at times
Just completed Framed. Really liked the game. It almost gave me a Ghost Trick kinda vibe. I was surprised to discover Zoe Quinn was involved in it.

ibipqkJ41XM8v5.png

i5TxGxddUHcY1.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

So if you guys pick up Space Age tonight ( and you should, it looks like day of the tentacle had a baby with an adventure game, as in non point and click) do put on headphones because it uses a kind of neat stereo system.

The game has so much potential. I'm not far enough into it but between the quality of the writing and the amzing 50+ songs, it can't be bad. And I know it will be pretty much ignored everywhere else so...

i6F2f89C9h5jb.png

ibp61FaT2fwnpc.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

I've been playing on the 6+ and I really like it so far. There's a lot of text, so if you have an iPad that may be preferable, but it's perfectly playable on the 6+. Even has an option to resize the text.

Took me a little bit to get into the swing of things, there's a lot to learn, a lot of little buttons to know the functions of, but if you're an rpg veteran it should be no problem.

Looks like it's following the AD&D ruleset. Don't know if there's special rules for the Forgotten Realms universe?

Anyway, it's great so far. Took me awhile to get my party started (creating character(s), buying equipment, equipping it all) but have done some quests in and around town, combat, exploration, story, micro-management - it's all there =)

I'm playing on the 2nd to easiest setting and still getting killed at times. Multiple save slots, and a quick-save button are life savers. It's unforgiving and rewarding - I recommend it.

iw0vmwPPfBSTc.png

ifSpP9i51LKRN.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

Ok, Muertitos is pretty great.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Mesmerizing music too.

Think Threes...but different.

And melanchonic.
And monstrous...but a cute type of monstrous.

Very polished.
So you start with an empty board, but then there's monster's heads in all the tiles surrounding the board (except the corners). You tap a head to shift it from outside in. This is the only way to move heads, so it creates an interesting dynamic as you have to be concious of how each push will affect the board. So, if I have a head in a middle tile of the board, I would have to push in one head, then another to push that head in the middle of the board. (More easily seen than explained).

A match is made when there are 3 or 4 of the same heads in a row, in much they disappear in a poof. It's important to be vigilant about where the pieces are, as the heads on the outside can not contribute to matches unless they are pushed into play (this has lead to silly mistakes in which I push a row containing two of a type of head all the way across to a third head, but then that head is actually on the outside, which creates a horizontal jam in that row.

The bar on the bottom is a sort of bonus bar. As you make matches, it starts to fill up. When it gets full, you're greeted with a card that has 12 X's on it, telling you to pick 3. You tap 3 of them, and each gives you a special power.

Each of these are used by dragging them from their corner into play. All except for the skull have a chance to appear in the outside tiles as well during regular play.

On top of that, there are two "character sets" of 12 heads each. This creates a sort of Threes dynamic in which you try to unlock all the heads, similar to how you try to unlock all of Threes' cards.

You're also given a score for each run, and the scores aren't ridiculous lists of numbers (mine have been at max 4 digits so far) which is nice for high score sharing.

So, basically what we have here is a wonderful buck game with moody, piano based music, unique art (its got a kind of Day of the Dead style, which is purposeful as the dev is mexican), and really original feeling core gameplay that is super addicting. Honestly I love this game, it just feels like a fantastic, pure experience, and it's super hard to put down.

iqbbyTtCV18y1.png

ibjEmp77Y5edxh.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

Guys, check out NOON. It's a twitch game that's free at launch for a limited time from the devs of Quell. It's simple but really addictive, kind of like Gauge in that aspect. Stop the clock at noon. That's it. But it's not so simple when you have multiple clocks, spinning at different speeds and the noon marker is at different positions on each one

ib1JuQziXsMzLd.png

iPNX0okHp0sJR.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

bitcoin billionare is probably the most brilliant and evil f2p game on the app store.
It's addicting as hell in its own stupid, ironic, twisted way. I love/hate it!

iZZU7QzlNE3TQ.png

ibb7veU2YIIwsH.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

OT is up, for anyone interested.
Few devs in the world can express like Simogo does.

Be SURE to use the button you see in every description....it's like the companion app in Year Walk.

BRILLIANT.

ic20Kf6xrbfU.png

iZC5e9IQA3WCs.png

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
ibyHj0Eql09WPw.png

A friend of mine has a blog and does daily roundups of IOS releases.
http://pixelatedparadise.wordpress.com/

Wicked Lair is releasing November 25th
http://www.slidedb.com/games/wicked-lair
"A unique take on a Tower Defense / Dungeon Building Hybrid. Build your dungeon as deep as you can, spawn powerful creatures to defeat the heroes that enter your domain and learn spells to aid your minions in battle. Send your own invaders to destroy the town before the heroes raid your lair to win the game."
001-small.png
[MAYBE]Having a lot of fun with Shadowrun Returns, it's like a mix of Fallout and a cyberpunk point and click. Hopefully that Dragonfall campaign comes out in November like they were talking about.
New puzzle game from 1Button (Poptile, Bicolor, SEQ, PILE) releasing in November. They're my favorite dev for minimalist puzzle games
A lot of good releases coming this month
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Upcoming+iOS+games/feature.asp?c=62339
  • Majestic Night (I didn't this was releasing on IOS!)
  • Proun+
  • Crossy Road
  • Scrolls
...and Space Age!

ippJAuUVwHtsA.png

This website keeps track of all the controller enabled games. It gets updated regularly.

iq4XyeMdqqoju.png

iPyNA27sLHkAs.jpg

iCade Hardware / Games reviews said:

iOUdKomG1O1K3.png

Visit the January 2014 thread for links to December 2013 through November 2012 threads!

if6jTSmBmYIcK.png

ibkCJVCVCRONTR.png

iIxEI6FTPvnDN.png

###
The Game Center user list is here: quote to see
###

iOS Membership said:
Rules

• Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you want to be added or taken off the list, following this text formatting:

GAF Name = Game Center Name / iOS Device(s)

• When adding someone, add From GAF to the friend request and your NeoGAF name as to easily tell who's who.
  • Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you are already on the list but want to update your profile with more info like iOS devices(s) owned, or to just change your existing GC profile.
  • We are on the list and, if you are too, it's OK to add us even if we're not best buddies; don't be shy: we enjoy having more GAFers challenging us on the friends leaderboards.
  • Don't just wait for others to add you first you should at least add some of the profiles posted above yours if you want to get the ball rolling... It's really up to you. Ideally the last member of the list will be the one to add the profiles above his, and so on and on with each new member. Or maybe just add whoever you like, that's also an option.
  • Remember: Your real name will be visible to your GC friends.
  • You can add everyone on the list at once; click the second sheet on the iOS Membership list and read the instructions, works on iOS and Macs

ibgtQNEI0Jnx7a.png

###
The form to enter yourself to the list is here: quote to see
###

idg3hDZGrbbeF.png

How do I back up my game saves for games that do not support iCloud save games?
Use a file manager program such as i-FunBox (PC/Mac) - It's free and requires no jailbreak.
i-FunBox has many different features, but to back up save games you would just want to do the following:

• Click the iFunBox Classic tab
  • Connect your iOS device, via WiFi or USB, it should then appear in the Connected Devices list on the left side of the UI.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to back up save games for.
  • Select the Documents and Library folders and copy them one at a time to your PC/Mac - this will copy the folders and all their contents. They contains your save files and settings for the game. Some games only use Documents, some use both.
To restore a backed up save game do the reverse.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to restore save games for.
  • Select the Documents and/or Library folders and choose to copy from PC/Mac.
  • Navigate to where you saved the backed up Documents and/or Library folders on your PC/Mac, open them and select all the files within it and open them. This will copy the folder contents back onto your iOS device.
  • Restart/fully close the game itself and your saves should be back!
Check that the file structure of the game is retained, e.g. GameName > Documents > files after you're done (no Documents folder within the Documents folder!), otherwise the game will not recognize your restored saves!

How do I hide my Real Name on Game Center?
Your real first and last name (taken from your Apple ID) will be shown to your GC friends. If you value that information and want GAF's leaderboards to show your GAF nickname instead, here's how you do it:
  • Go to http://appleid.apple.com and log in with your Apple ID details via "Manage your Apple ID".
  • In the "Name, ID and Email Addresses" section, click Edit on the Your Name field at the top.
  • Change you First and Last name (you must enter both) to whatever you like (e.g. First Name: Tunesmith, Last Name: GAF)
Done, now that's who you're going to be listed as on your friend's Game Center leaderboards. This will affect Game Center *and* your Apple ID. If it's the same account you use for App Store/iTunes, you will still be able to use it for iTunes/App Store's purchases (you can still buy whatever you want like you could before) *BUT* in the receipt it'll show your nickname or whatever you chose as First Name and Last Name when you changed those fields. The first time you will use the modified account on App Store/iTunes, you will be asked to verify the account by re-entering the 3 digits code of the credit card's CCV security code (if you make your purchases using a credit card).

Should I buy this new high-priced game or wait for a sale?
Maybe! Just be aware that iOS games have a tendency to go on sale frequently and unpredictably, even recent games can be a dollar rather than premium $4-5. Spend your pack of gum money wisely.
As a recommendation, set up a RSS feed for the price changes on http://appshopper.com/ which will then notify you of any price fluctuations for old and new games alike.

I just got an iPhone/iPad. What are the best games?
In addition to checking out the past month's iOS Gaming threads, visit Why iOS Rocks / iOS Hidden Gems. You're welcome and your wallet will hurt.

For gaming, should I get the iPad Mini 2, or iPad Air?
Both have their pros and cons. The Mini 2 is cheaper and smaller but there is a slight difference between the Air's A7 chip and the mini's A7: the mini's is around 100MHz slower -- 1.3GHz compared to the Air's 1.4GHz. Other than that they're both identical in spec. It's very much a coin toss between if you want a 9.7" or a 7.9" screen.

I'm a new iOS user, what non-gaming apps should I get ASAP?
This thread would be a great place to start. Asking here wouldn't hurt either!

iizlxIqJuSAnx.png

Genuine thanks to our iOS Gaming community for keeping these monthly threads alive!

New month and a new thread! Thanks for maintaining these threads, Tunesmith!

And you might want to change the "Why IOS Rocks" link ;)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Grey cubes is a fun arkanoid type game but with physics on the blocks. But it makes my air 2 roasting hot And kills my battery.

GWX

I thought Threes! was the original game/idea. How come the Lost Viking trailer description mentions "inspired by 2048"? =(

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I thought Threes! was the original game/idea. How come the Lost Viking trailer description mentions "inspired by 2048"? =(

2048 is more recognizable.

Still bullshit. Will not download.

Heel

Red Winter (Dungelot) released a new game
Lost Viking - $2.99
https://appsto.re/us/7voG3.i

On that note, why is Dungelot so popular? I realized I had never played it, so I gave it a try...and all you do is tap tiles randomly. At least Tales of Adventure Company and Cavesweeper have some predictablity so you can plan and strategize. I feel like I'm missing something, since a lot of people enjoyed Dungelot

So they added RPG mechanics to Threes and not a match 3 game or a word game? As others said recently, this shallow-thinking game design is getting really tired in my view.

Kilau

So my iPhone 6 Plus preorder just shipped yesterday finally (lol) Are there many games even supporting that screen yet?

I haven't downloaded anything recently to my forever mute 4s to know if updates have rolled out :(

After seeing Pocket Gamer call Drift n Drive one of the best of the week and the "Ridiculous Fishing of racing games", I decided to check it out. I'm really enjoying the game; it's addictive, fast, and challenging.

The racing is very aggressive and hectic, as you push through the pack, evade barriers and trees, drift around corners. You can even lose a tire if you get into a big crash. The upgrades feel substantial and add some light strategic depth, as you might decide to focus on speed but sacrifice handling, and other combinations of parts. Perhaps most surprising is the lack of IAP; this is 100% premium, and while there is a grind, it's an enjoyable one, as you improve your poll position and gather money to unlock upgrades. Tracks are randomly generated so getting better relies on both your skills and upgrades; later series add jumps and more racers to the mix. Not only is there a career mode, but also time trials and local multiplayer

PittaGAF

awp69 said:
Of course, it's GLORIOUS!

Had to say that, but so far so good. I didn't play the mobile version of Baldur's Gate (and it's been years since I played it at all). So taking some time to get used to the controls. Haven't hit any big bugs yet.

And the game itself is great!

How is the graphics on the tablet?

Skelter

Banned
Finally have my iPad Air 2 and my iPhone 6 Plus is coming next week! Love the OP. Messaged Tunesmith to be added on Gamecenter and well hey everyone.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Hi everyone. I just got an iPad and having experienced the amazing Device 6, I'm happy to eat a lot of crow over my previous, stupid "iOS games aren't real games" stance. Subscribed to this thread.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I had no idea KNOCK-KNOCK was on iOS?!
How is it? 'Cause I love the aesthetic ever since the first PC trailer.

And what about Organ Trail, what game is it?

Finally have my iPad Air 2 and my iPhone 6 Plus is coming next week! Love the OP. Messaged Tunesmith to be added on Gamecenter and well hey everyone.

Hi everyone. I just got an iPad and having experienced the amazing Device 6, I'm happy to eat a lot of crow over my previous, stupid "iOS games aren't real games" stance. Subscribed to this thread.
Boy, do I have a thread for you guys
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921676

I had no idea KNOCK-KNOCK was on iOS?!
How is it? 'Cause I love the aesthetic ever since the first PC trailer.

And what about Organ Trail, what game is it?
Organ Trails takes the classic Oregon Trail game and transplants that structure into the zombie apocalypse. Maintain your station wagon as you cross irradiated zombie filed America, keep your group safe, watch your resources, deal with random events as you travel from city to city.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
What's a good turn-based game to play with another friend between two phones ? Something like Words with Friends or Draw Something, which were popular for a long time but anything new and better out now ?

I got a promo code for Lost Viking and let me tell you, playing inspired games like this really showcases how brilliantly designed Threes is. Overall, the game is okay. Nice art style, no IAP, a nice amount of stats to upgrade (health, chance of loot), special abilities to use. There are several different tiles - sword, shield, key, etc. - each important in different situations.

The core idea is that you want to merge like tiles to increase their sums (so a 2 sword + 9 sword = one 11 sword tile); you have 5 turns to manipulate the tiles and get the highest amount. Against enemies, a higher sword value equals more damage; to open loot chests, you need to combine key tiles to reach a specified value.

But it's so boring. There's no rhythm or strategy because you don't where or what tile will appear next. That's where Threes was so well designed; you always had an idea of what was coming next and could preview how the board would change, so you could plan accordingly. Plus the actual blending mechanic was satisfying and addictive and rewarding

In Lost Viking, it's just...there. You could swap out the Threes-style gameplay for Match 3 and the game wouldn't feel any different. Plus, the game is essentially an endless runner and you have health; so the randomness bites you in the ass because you can't really plan ahead to deliver a strong sword attack or know when you'll reach a fire to recover health.

awp69

I got a promo code for Lost Viking and let me tell you, playing inspired games like this really showcases how brilliantly designed Threes is. Overall, the game is okay. Nice art style, no IAP, a nice amount of stats to upgrade (health, chance of loot), special abilities to use. There are several different tiles - sword, shield, key, etc. - each important in different situations.

The core idea is that you want to merge like tiles to increase their sums (so a 2 sword + 9 sword = one 11 sword tile); you have 5 turns to manipulate the tiles and get the highest amount. Against enemies, a higher sword value equals more damage; with open loot chests, you need to combine key tiles to reach a specified value.

But it's so boring. There's no rhythm or strategy because you don't where or what tile will appear next. That's where Threes was so well designed; you always had an idea of what was coming next and could preview how the board would change, so you could plan accordingly. Plus the actual blending mechanic was satisfying and addictive and rewarding

In Lost Viking, it's just...there. You could swap out the Threes-style gameplay for Match 3 and the game wouldn't feel any different. Plus, the game is essentially an endless runner and you have health; so the randomness bites you in the ass because you can't really plan ahead to deliver a strong sword attack or know when you'll reach a fire to recover health.

Good to know. I'll pass. Have way too many games in my backlog to need that. Thanks for the review.

PittaGAF

I guess Apple thinks everyone who plays IOS games is a 5-year old child or something. Oh no, objectionable content will warp our minds!

I wonder how many people this objectionable content has ruined in the last 13 years.
I confess that, even if I still remebered the intro pretty well, I just re watched it on YouTube.

LOL.

Apath

GTA San Andreas is extremely glitchy. Getting a lot of weird clipping issues, geometry randomly appearing and disappear, textures flashing black.

colinp

Banned
I wonder how many people this objectionable content has ruined in the last 13 years.
I confess that, even if I still remebered the intro pretty well, I just re watched it on YouTube.

LOL.

I just watched it with the sound off. Is it just because of the black and white sketches? Are they really that objectionable? I'm at a loss.

awp69

Icewind Dale EE was just rejected again for objectionable content in the intro video.

LOL..

Sigh.

Seriously?!?

I need to watch the intro again. Can't remember anything that I would classify as offensive.

On a related note, it's been years since I played Baldur's Gate on PC. And never played Icewind Dale, but I forgot how freaking hard these games are.

Playing IWD on Android, even on easy got two of my characters killed in an early battle with some goblins. Think, even as a somewhat hardcore gamer, I'm losing any skill I once had. LOL.

May even play on "story mode" (where you cannot die) a bit just to level up my characters before digging in.

Sucks that iOS may have to wait even longer now.

Minsc

Gold Member
Seriously?!?

I need to watch the intro again. Can't remember anything that I would classify as offensive.

On a related note, it's been years since I played Baldur's Gate on PC. And never played Icewind Dale, but I forgot how freaking hard these games are.

Playing IWD on Android, even on easy got two of my characters killed in an early battle with some goblins. Think, even as a somewhat hardcore gamer, I'm losing any skill I once had. LOL.

May even play on "story mode" (where you cannot die) a bit just to level up my characters before digging in.

Sucks that iOS may have to wait even longer now.

Just give everyone ranged weapons... it's really the best thing you could do especially early on (just make sure the sling/bow/crossbow/etc is the one they're proficient in if possible) the game is much more "fair" that way - when all six of your party members can shoot away any target outside melee range. If something gets closer to you, set your fighters to melee weapons, grab aggro with them, and retreat everyone else out of range and continue pelting away.

awp69

Just give everyone ranged weapons... it's really the best thing you could do especially early on (just make sure the sling/bow/crossbow/etc is the one they're proficient in if possible) the game is much more "fair" that way - when all six of your party members can shoot away any target outside melee range. If something gets closer to you, set your fighters to melee weapons, grab aggro with them, and retreat everyone else out of range and continue pelting away.

Good advice. May need to give that a shot. Guess I'll have to stock up a lot of arrows/bolts. Reading some of the reviews of the original release, combat gets a lot better when you start learning spells too. So, yeah, ranged is probably the way to go -- at least to start.

awp69

Thought I'd mention that Panic Train is in sale for free. Pretty fun little runner that's kind of like Bumpy Road on speed. Nothing mind-blowing but worth checking out for runner fans looking for something a little different.

putermcgee

After playing more Super Glyph Quest, I have to say I think it's safe to delete the original one and put this in the permanently-on-my-phone folder. With a little luck and better strategy, I managed to beat the first major boss battle, and that's where the game really opens up.

Photo-2014-10-28-18-01-53-300x532.jpg
Photo-2014-10-28-18-02-15-300x532.jpg

Images from TA. I hope they don't mind, but the AppStore images are bad.

Before you roll your eyes and turn away from what you think is yet another match-3 game, know that it's a lot more than that. It has elements of Dungeon Raid where you match up adjacent glyphs on the board to attack, and elements of Puzzle Quest where you level up, get new gear, and battle a ton of fantastical enemies. The enemy art is just great too. It's also light-hearted and humorous with the occasional pop culture reference and fourth wall breakage.

So what really sets this game apart from other match-3 games is the types of elements you can work with, and the combo system. You start off with just a few glyphs on the board, and want to match two or more of the same element (fire-fire-fire), where the larger the match, the stronger your attack is. Since you start off as a budding magus, your matches can only be three glyphs long at first. As you progress, however, you'll have many more glyphs on the board at once, and you'll be making longer matches that result in better attacks and powerful summons.

After the first big plot point in the story, you'll get the ability to make combo attacks by combining more than just the same element (fire-earth-fire-earth). What I love about these combos is that they all make sense, and are therefore easy to remember. Link up water-earth-water-earth for a mudslide. Light-fire-light-fire performs a (solar) flare attack. Want to bind your foe in a mess of vines? Combine light-earth-light-earth to grow some. Some spells, like light-water-light-water will perform a blessing that will heal you a bit. It's all very intuitive, and each different attack, even if you do something weak like water-water, is unique. As part of the challenge, though, you have to be careful not to match opposites in the same spell. If you select an earth glyph in the same spell that uses wind, it will backfire on you, causing you to hurt yourself and lose that turn.

It doesn't stop there even. When you perform a spell using the same element as your previous spell, you'll start a chain. Building up a chain makes each subsequent attack grow stronger, and then if you cast a spell using the opposite element, it will do a reversal spell for even more damage. For example, if you've been casting spells with fire for a few turns, and then your next spell uses water instead, you'll inflict more pain on your enemy. Reversing your chain will cause the chain count to drop by half, which I think is done in an effort to keep people from abusing the mechanic by reversing every turn... something that made the first Glyph Quest a lot easier.

What's even better about Super Glyph Quest, is that you have a lot more freedom with chains, and how you keep them going. As long as one element of your spell matches one of the elements from your previous spell, you'll keep increasing your chain count. So if your previous spell was dark-water-dark-water, your next spell could be anything like dark-earth-dark-earth, or water-wind-water-wind, and it will keep the chain. But wait, there's more! In that previous example, if you had already built up a chain, you next attack could use light or fire elements, and that would do a reversal! The game lets you be as creative as you want, for the most part, and once you learn your enemies' weaknesses, you'll be taking them out left and right.

I can't stress enough how fun this game is. If you're a fan of Dungeon Raid (or I guess that newer one with vampires), Puzzle Quest, and 10000000, you really need to have this game. Even if you think you're worn out on match-3s, this one offers a lot of originality that is worth celebrating and supporting. So before you go download another PAD or Clash of Clans knock off, give this one a shot instead.

Links:
YouTube trailer
iTunes link (presently a dollar, but totally worth it at the full price)

A video I recorded of the first Glyph Quest back in January.

A couple things to note, the developer wasn't able to change the screenshots on the AppStore without submitting a new build, which is why the one(s) you see is/are not very helpful. Also, the developer says an update is currently waiting approval from Apple, and that fixes a few small bugs. They have yet another update waiting in the wings to work out some balancing too, but it's not bad in its present state.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Picked up an iPhone 6 today, upgraded from my 4S. I used to post more in this thread but checked out about a year ago... went through all the OT's from the last ~12 months to check up on games I've missed. Surprisingly not much exciting stuff...

Added

Super Glyph Quest
Talisman
Card Dungeon
Motorsport Manager
Civilization Revolution 2
Table Tennis Touch
Infinity Blade III

that's about all I found that I thought was interesting. Did I miss anything great that wasn't in the first post of any of the OT's? Some other favourites? The above list should give some kind of idea on what I like, mostly strategy/RPG and graphics whoring.

So going with the thread title, we should all recommend a GLORIOUS!™ game. Icebreaker would have been it for me, but I already gushed about it last thread.

So I'll go with Ninjin. This game is a cross between an auto-runner, brawler, and dual stick shooter. You're a ninja rabbit, racing across the screen as enemy formations attack. You can maneuver around the screen, attack with your sword, and throw shuriken, all while evading projectiles and enemy attacks.

Seems simple, but the depth lies in your arsenal. There's a plethora of weapons to mix and match (19 swords, 19 projectile types, 5 magical abilites, etc.) each with their own stats and tactical synergy. Boomerang shuriken, bouncing shuriken, electric shuriken, shuriken that passes through multiple enemies. A sword that hits multiple enemies but do less damage, or that does a lot of damage but attacks slow, or does flame damage. And those are only a few weapons that you use.

Aside from the five stage campaign, there's an endless mode and boss rush, missions to complete, a bestiary, and even a "super secret level". And no IAP besides the game unlock

The developers are currently working on a massively expanded sequel for PC, PS4, and PS Vita.

Icebreaker is pretty great. I think More_Badass recommended it in that other iOS thread. Love physics puzzlers and this is an excellent one.
Yup, that was me

Finally on the second level pack and now there are rockets and cannons and machines. I'll say it again, just for good measure: easily one of the best physics puzzlers on IOS

Picked up an iPhone 6 today, upgraded from my 4S. I used to post more in this thread but checked out about a year ago... went through all the OT's from the last ~12 months to check up on games I've missed. Surprisingly not much exciting stuff...

Added

Super Glyph Quest
Talisman
Card Dungeon
Motorsport Manager
Civilization Revolution 2
Table Tennis Touch
Infinity Blade III

that's about all I found that I thought was interesting. Did I miss anything great that wasn't in the first post of any of the OT's? Some other favourites? The above list should give some kind of idea on what I like, mostly strategy/RPG and graphics whoring.
Did you check out the Why IOS Rocks thread? There are RPG and Strategy sections. Have you checked out XCOM, The Banner Saga, KOTOR? If you have an iPad, you should check out FTL and Frozen Synapse. (Yes those all are PC ports)

Wallach

I've been playing some Super Glyph Quest tonight myself. Seems pretty cool, really like the presentation. Very clean. Poison seems kind of overpowered; enemies hit me for ~200 or so but being poisoned hits me for like ~800-1,000 on the first turn and only goes down by ~100 each turn after. Seems like it might be an error since Bleeding does about 1/10th of that damage.

Edit - It looks like Poison damage in this game is done such that it deals a % of your current health instead of a set value, so it deals less damage as your health gets lower. This works okay for enemies since you damage multiple health bars in any given encounter, but it isn't a very good idea for when the player gets poisoned since all of the enemies are going to be putting damage into a single health bar (yours). Hopefully they tweak it in a future patch.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Did you check out the Why IOS Rocks thread? There are RPG and Strategy sections. Have you checked out XCOM, The Banner Saga, KOTOR? If you have an iPad, you should check out FTL and Frozen Synapse. (Yes those all are PC ports)

I actually did, yes! I've played XCOM and Banner Saga (and FTL and Frozen Synapse) on PC already and I already own KOTOR. :) Banner Saga I'd recommend SO HARD to anyone who hasn't played it yet, too.

awp69

As if I don't have enough to play, I was looking at that I Am Dolphin game. Seems like it could be interesting and something completely different.

Has anyone here tried it?

According to ustwo's Twitter, new Monument Vallet levels are "coming soon". Will be more than $0, less than the main game's price

Cute pics of kid testers

If Simogo's previous adventure games are anything to go by, The Sailor's Dream could end up being my game of the year.
I'm so ready for this. Simogo has become one of those devs who I'll buy any game from, day one, before reviews. Foursaken, Ustwo, inkle, 1Button, and Rocketcat are the others in that category for me

Corgi

Banned
objectionable content lol.

Was any content censored in San Andreas? Can't imagine IWD having anything more objectionable, didn't watch the intro, is there satanic stuff or something religious?

wihio

objectionable content lol.

Was any content censored in San Andreas? Can't imagine IWD having anything more objectionable, didn't watch the intro, is there satanic stuff or something religious?
According to trent's Twitter, the objectionable content is in the Heart of Winter intro (built in expansion)- an old woman with no shirt, just strands of hair covering her nipples. Lawls!

According to trent's Twitter, the objectionable content is in the Heart of Winter intro (built in expansion)- an old woman with no shirt, just strands of hair covering her nipples. Lawls!
Near nudity, corrupting the minds of children everywhere!

That's ridiculous and kind of disappointing. If Apple is that uptight about content, if devs can't tackle serious or controversial issues in their games, I don't see how IOS could ever reach the diversity of other platforms. Would Papers Please have to be censored and altered if it came to IOS? Sigh...

killercow

Near nudity, corrupting the minds of children everywhere!

That's ridiculous and kind of disappointing. If Apple is that upright about content, if devs can't tackle serious or controversial issues in their games, I don't see how IOS could ever reach the diversity of other platforms. Would Papers Please have to be censored and altered if it can to IOS? Sigh...

And don't even think about criticizing the real world:
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/appsblog/2011/sep/14/apple-phone-story-rejection

PittaGAF

I could even try to 'understand' the censorship about things.
What I really can't understand is why for things like these you have to re submit...of course they wont redo the intro of a 15 years port.
They will just change the required age.
It's ridiculous (and devs should have probably foreseen these things).

Top Bottom