• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming November 2014: GLORIOUS!™

JCho133

Hmmm...only thing I could think of is Zombie Kill of The Week. More like 2D CoD Zombies, but it's pixel art, has MP, and has zombies

No no no, though ZKotW is great.

Remember, the one where it's multiplayer VS. But you're supposed to work together to get far, but you could turn on any of the other players at any time as it is still your goal to win. Took place in moody forests and caves. You set up defenses Castle Doombad style.

And I've also been testing Awesome Boots since the beginning. It's come really far and is a really enjoyable Arvade game.

Apath

I switched the steering to use the left and right buttons off the bat. Maybe I should switch back to analog.
I originally used left and right but switched to analogue. With the left and right buttons, I kept missing the button when making a turn, wondering why my car was not taking the corner. With analogue that does not happen.

No no no, though ZKotW is great.

Remember, the one where it's multiplayer VS. But you're supposed to work together to get far, but you could turn on any of the other players at any time as it is still your goal to win. Took place in moody forests and caves. You set up defenses Castle Doombad style.

And I've also been testing Awesome Boots since the beginning. It's come really far and is a really enjoyable Arvade game.
Oh! Dead Cells
http://dead-cells.com/en

Here are some new screenshots
B00F09UCEAAGVQi.png

BxdBdVbCEAAO_6E.png

JCho133

hey guys, can someone recommend me a game. to be specific, i want a game where i can micro manage things. but also when i leave i still want the game to be going in the background (or the illusion that time has past). but i would still like for there to be some action (dungeon/fight/etc). also i don't want to be restricted by the number of times i can do said iteam by a currency that i have to pay for. i don't mind paying for an app, but micro transactions rub me the wrong way.

does a game like that exist on Ios?

Ummm, try King's League: Odyssey maybe?

King's League: Odyssey by Gamenauts
https://appsto.re/us/TfDOP.i

HF2014

Puzzle to the center of the earth is simply amazing! I bought the unlimited live for 4,99$ , been playing all day .

Its a must, get it!

JCho133

Is it Wednesday night yet?

At least I've have Binding of Isaac: Rebirth to pass the time till Sailor's Dream

No fair!

Why can't Nintendo be less stuck up, gosh darnit.

Well at least in the past week they've talked about being more open to indies (leading to Isaac speculations) as well as the removal of region locks.

I will get the Binding of Isaac on 3DS if it's the last thing I do!

So do we have any "gameplay" of the sailors dream? Or just those trailers?

PittaGAF

I left on TA some impressions about Gems of War.

Short version: I'm loving this.

I was REALLY skeptical and let down when I saw this game being 'freemium' (PQ is one of my all time favorites) but over 10 hours later (level 19 now) I can safely say I found the legit heir to the original Puzzle Quest.

I'm LOVING this.
After level 10 the difficulty really spikes up, some friends of mine yelled 'PAYWALL'!!! and deleted the game.
Not understanding how paying would make the fights any easier, I played onwards and the game really opened up.

I'm now fighting against the very first boss of the game (the Wyrm, I *THINK* end of the initial kingdom storyline) and it's utterly awesome.
I'm looking at the board trying to decide if matching those 3 skulls, leaving a ton of red gems on board knowing that the Wyrm will use those to destroy my entire party, cleaning the board up a bit, but leaving one character exposed...buidling up a spell to be used next turn....you know...the usual Puzzle Quest fare...then you activate an incredible chain...and die :p
And when I die, I wonder if I choose well my party....if giving the blue/brown kingdom and bonuses was the right choice...or if it's better to respec some characters and spend the souls on new unlocked monsters.
Or just wait a bit in this story line and continue the other ones I already unlocked.

I have no clue if later I'll hit a paywall or something, but so far it's awesome, really awesome.

Also...the main 'currency' is gold...and I always have more than 2K (going up).
And the game grants you souls even on defeat, so even when failing you are making progresses (you can't farm here...previous quests are unavailable).
Other currencies are diamonds (never used them, no clue on what they do).
Of importance are keys to unlock new characters out of the bat (you earn some just playing normally) and wings that the game rewards you for some imho unuseful gear.

Anyway...give the game a go and do not be scared about the spike after level 10...it's where things get interesting opening up the game and forcing you to shuffle your party and explore new kingdoms.

If it was premium, I would have gladly paid for this game, but so far balance is not ruined by the fermium-ness. (can't deny I would have preferred paying 10 dollars and be done with it).

Also, the app is SUPER slick, great art and voices/sounds, effects...and flawless sync between devices.

awp69

Woah...didn't know that an iPhone version of Vainglory was out in soft launch. I had asked the devs about a month ago if the 5S would be supported and they said no pretty definitely -- only iPhone 6/6+. But alas, this does support it.

Dropping into my NZ account now to give it a whirl.

Anyone else play it yet on iPad or the new iPhone version?

awp69

FANTASTIC interview about Banner Saga and the sequels.
Didn't know the iPad version had additional animations.

http://toucharcade.com/2014/11/04/stoic-studio-interview/

Great read.

Yep, good stuff! I just want them to release the Android version already!!!

I've been playing on my 5S and love it, but love it so much that I kind of don't want to spoil the experience of playing on a tablet, where I know it will be even more GLORIOUS!

Avoid: Sensory Overload is currently free for a limited time, due to some issues between the dev and publisher. Game used to have level packs you had to unlock through IAP, but currently the game is 100% now, no IAP. It's a pretty good twitch game worth checking out. Don't be fooled by the Easy levels; the difficulty ratchets up once you start the Medium levels and above

Trailer

So do we have any "gameplay" of the sailors dream? Or just those trailers?

Simogo have purposely kept details secret so people go into it knowing as little as possible. But it seems like it's going to be a point-and-click adventure game that focuses on narrative, exploration, and atmosphere. We'll find out tomorrow. :)

awp69

Simogo have purposely kept details secret so people go into it knowing as little as possible. But it seems like it's going to be a point-and-click adventure game that focuses on narrative, exploration, and atmosphere. We'll find out tomorrow. :)

This blog post is probably the most we know:

http://simogo.com/2014/07/28/simogo-presents-the-sailors-dream/

Interesting that they say there will be no puzzles --- although I'm guessing you'll still have to put pieces of the story together.

heringer

If you have an itch for a retro JRPG, Asdivine Hearts is a good option.

It's Kemco, I know, but the developer is EXE-Create (Across Age) and the quality is quite a bit higher than their previous efforts. I've tried a few Kemco game before and I thought they were mostly awful: choppy framerate, terrible translation, ugly UI.

I'm about 6 hours into the game and the graphics are sharp, translation is great and the framerate is finally smooth. The gameplay itself is good, if a little by the books. You have a traditional 2D turn based battle system with magic, skills, etc. The game does bring some interesting features though, like a jewel system for customization (you fit jewels, which are like Tetris pieces, into 3x3 or bigger boards, think the inventory system of RE4) and different formations, which gives different bonuses.

Story is very lighthearted but pretty fun to follow due to the good translation. The banter between the main character and the cat can be pretty funny.

It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's pretty decent and a good alternative if you are craving for some retro JRPG goodness.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/id898215687?mt=8

awp69

^^ Just as an FYI for other Kemco games, there are some really good ones. Yeah, some are pretty generic and not so hot, but there are gems. Fantasy Chronicle is not only a great JRPG but probably one of my all-time favorite iOS games.

The Alphadia series is also good as well as Symphony of the Eternity.

Just thought I'd thow that out there. Kemco tends to get bashed and its devs thrown under the bus with them. Some rightfully so, but others are worthy of praise.

Ainaurdur

If you have an itch for a retro JRPG, Asdivine Hearts is a good option.

It's Kemco, I know, but the developer is EXE-Create (Across Age) and the quality is quite a bit higher than their previous efforts. I've tried a few Kemco game before and I thought they were mostly awful: choppy framerate, terrible translation, ugly UI.

I'm about 6 hours into the game and the graphics are sharp, translation is great and the framerate is finally smooth. The gameplay itself is good, if a little by the books. You have a traditional 2D turn based battle system with magic, skills, etc. The game does bring some interesting features though, like a jewel system for customization (you fit jewels, which are like Tetris pieces, into 3x3 or bigger boards, think the inventory system of RE4) and different formations, which gives different bonuses.

Story is very lighthearted but pretty fun to follow due to the good translation. The banter between the main character and the cat can be pretty funny.

It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's pretty decent and a good alternative if you are craving for some retro JRPG goodness.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/id898215687?mt=8
Screens remind me of Lunar a little bit, currently 50% off, went ahead and bought it just now with your recommendation.
I think my new iPad Air 2 has gone to my head, I have made more iOS purchases in the past week than I had in the past six months on my iPhone 5S. And still expecting more purchases in the next few weeks. Feels good.

I'm playing Shadow Blade Reload and I don't see how any of these changes and additions could trickle down to the mobile version. Seriously, if you're a fan of the game, this is the definite version.

Not only the visual substantially improved and there are new animations and attacks, levels have been combined and reworked and the whole menu and UI has been redone. Instead of small discrete levels, what was three or four levels on IOS blend seamlessly into one level on PC. Like the enemy waves arena; instead of its own level, you get there in a level, defeat the enemies, and then continue with the level. Plus the fact that you can throw shuriken allows the devs to add enemies in places that would be impossible in the mobile levels

As someone who really enjoyed the IOS game, it's so cool to see how much Dead Mage has improved the game on PC

So I just bought an iPad Air 2 which is my first iOS device since the iPod Touch 4. What is the cream of the crop iOS-exclusive stuff I've missed out on in the past three years? I just grabbed device 6 and am probably going to get 80 days.

Dalek

I know the Simogo guys are on GAF-so congratulations to you guys for tonight's launch. I'll be buying it the minute it's available!

mid83

I'm curious how much of you guys play ios compared to other platforms (pc/console/handheld). I've lately found ios to take up 75% or so of my gaming time. It fits into my hectic schedule and it's a great way to get a few minutes of gameplay in. I usually don't like to play on the ps4/pc unless I have a good couple hours to spare, which is rare these days.

I know ios gets a lot of heat from gamers but personally I'm finding it one of my favorite platforms (despite some of the freemium nonsense).

Dalek

I'm curious how much of you guys play ios compared to other platforms (pc/console/handheld). I've lately found ios to take up 75% or so of my gaming time. It fits into my hectic schedule and it's a great way to get a few minutes of gameplay in. I usually don't like to play on the ps4/pc unless I have a good couple hours to spare, which is rare these days.

I know ios gets a lot of heat from gamers but personally I'm finding it one of my favorite platforms (despite some of the freemium nonsense).

I'm busy too. I barely get free time to myself to play console games anymore unless my wife happens to go to bed early. iOS really helps me get my fix in.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

I pretty much play iOS games 100% of the time, apart from the occasional PC or console game I might dabble in at work.

Okay, now we can startng counting down to Sailor's Dream

I play PC and IOS games about equally. Maybe IOS a bit more due to the portable nature of the platform and since I can play in bed.

So like a 45/55 split between PC and IOS

awp69

Is it me or does it seem like Adult Swim and Cartoon Network have been a little more agressive with IAPs in recent releases?

SuperPac

Day of the Viking looks fun, is from Adult Swim, a premium (NO IAP) app and its made in Spain, so hell yes! I am all in. This week looks like a tower defense one with Sleep Attack TD (hint: its awesome) and this one.

There is IAP. The game is $2.99 and has 5 IAPs - a coin doubler and 4 currency packs. Those are VERY generous but not necessary purchases at all. The most expensive one is $21.99 and that gives you 500k coins - almost double what you'd need to buy all the upgrades plus probably more than you'll need to buy boosts and consumables in the game. So, it's not a bottomless money sink.

Just one currency, too - it's not dual currency.

Is it me or does it seem like Adult Swim and Cartoon Network have been a little more agressive with IAPs in recent releases?

Not in paid games, IMO (I'm biased). Freemium games, I don't think we're that much different than anyone else in the market.

awp69

Okay, this Monday release almost seems too good to be true. The World 2 looks like it could be the best giant monster hunting game on mobile since Monster Hunter. And it's only $2, with no IAP

Here's the NZ store link:
https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/the-world-ii-hunting-boss/id933462805?mt=8

I kind of liked the look of this and decided for $2, I'd give it a shot. It's pretty fun and looks fantastic but it is shallow with basically six boss battles and three characters to select from. This is the "single version". There's a menu click through that tells you that there's going to be online multiplayer with 80 bosses, etc.

Was curious about it and asked the dev via FB about plans for the game. The app is kind of a preview of a full MMO that will be coming to iOS, Android and PC.

So, basically, I'd say wait for the full version, which will be F2P with IAPs like most MMOs are, unless you just are dying to hack and slash bosses and show off the graphics.

pdk27

Been playing Kingdom Rush and Kingdom Rush Frontiers again in anticipation of Origins coming out soon. Has anybody ever bought any of the DLC characters in either game? I've got almost all the stars in both games so I certainly don't need help in completing it but I was wondering if any of the characters bring anything new to the table.

There is IAP. The game is $2.99 and has 5 IAPs - a coin doubler and 4 currency packs. Those are VERY generous but not necessary purchases at all. The most expensive one is $21.99 and that gives you 500k coins - almost double what you'd need to buy all the upgrades plus probably more than you'll need to buy boosts and consumables in the game. So, it's not a bottomless money sink.

Just one currency, too - it's not dual currency.

Not in paid games, IMO (I'm biased). Freemium games, I don't think we're that much different than anyone else in the market.
The trailer was great. I'm definitely picking it up tonight. How varied are the levels and challenges? It definitely seems more action-y and dynamic than your usual TD game

Matt Frost

Been playing Kingdom Rush and Kingdom Rush Frontiers again in anticipation of Origins coming out soon. Has anybody ever bought any of the DLC characters in either game? I've got almost all the stars in both games so I certainly don't need help in completing it but I was wondering if any of the characters bring anything new to the table.

I bought the dragon and it made a huge difference. It levels up really fast and wreaks havoc on the battlefield. It makes the game a bit dull on the other hand. I am also highly anticipating the new one, but Sleep Attack TD is putting an ease to that. Its awesome. The rotating battlefield really feels fresh and genuine. Its harder than Kingdom Rush too. Loving it.

I am also addicted to... 10000000... its... perfect? Or the closest thing yet... premium app without shenanigans. On my first few runs (literally since is part runner) I didnt like it much, but recently I unlocked more rooms and the game has opened for me. Its pretty amazing and hard as nails, which makes it more interesting that my other favorite game in the genre, Darkin. And optimized for the iPhone 6, a phone I have to play cartoon-y and pixel graphics games xD

Just one currency, too - it's not dual currency..

Thanks a lot for the explanation about the IAP. Well, with only one currency (and no timers) I am back on the buying boat again sailing for midnight. Great! So it is a great TD week then.

Watched 1 minute of Sailor's Dream. Imagine Year Walk's swipe movement with more exploration, and with a bright MYST-esque vibe rather than that game's dark eerie atmosphere. 11PM EST can't come fast enough

PittaGAF

I'm in a TOTAL MEDIA BLACKOUT about Sailor's Dream.

I do not want to know anything.

I just want to curl in bed with headphones and get lost in the magic.

Simogo earned this with Year Walk and Device 6.

Top Bottom