• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

dc89

Upgraded to iPhone 7 two days ago, I went for the 128GB Jet Black and it's a big leap over the 6 in terms of speed.

I love the taptic engine feedback and how it's integrated into the OS. I have adapted to the solid state home button really quickly, much quicker than I thought I would because I really didn't like it at first when I tried it out.

Has WhatsApp always been some sort of battery hog? I'm currently sat at 90% battery and maybe I'm reading too much into this but doesn't 30% seem pretty high, I guess it's around 3% of my battery. Whats annoying me most is I've turned background refresh off yet it still seems to be doing something in the back ground.

luYo5wB.png

It's not automatically saving incoming media and it's not restoring from any kind of backup, or backing up to the cloud. Has anyone got any advice?

Vyer

Upgraded to iPhone 7 two days ago, I went for the 128GB Jet Black and it's a big leap over the 6 in terms of speed.

I love the taptic engine feedback and how it's integrated into the OS. I have adapted to the solid state home button really quickly, much quicker than I thought I would because I really didn't like it at first when I tried it out.

Has WhatsApp always been some sort of battery hog? I'm currently sat at 90% battery and maybe I'm reading too much into this but doesn't 30% seem pretty high, I guess it's around 3% of my battery. Whats annoying me most is I've turned background refresh off yet it still seems to be doing something in the back ground.

It's not automatically saving incoming media and it's not restoring from any kind of backup, or backing up to the cloud. Has anyone got any advice?

Yeah that seems really high, particularly that 2 hrs in the background.

I'm an iMessage user, so I don't know if that's normal for WhatsApp or not, but I wouldn't think so? Maybe try deleting and reinstalling the app

dc89

Yeah that seems really high, particularly that 2 hrs in the background.

I'm an iMessage user, so I don't know if that's normal for WhatsApp or not, but I wouldn't think so? Maybe try deleting and reinstalling the app

Ok I'll try this

Still been thinking about switching from the 6P to a 7+, and I just don't know. There are obvious positives and negatives about doing it, and I do have a few old iPhones lying around. The issue is I would really need to play with it for awhile to make sure it is what I want to do.

What's the best route for getting one these days? Through AT&T Next (either 24 or 30 months) or Apple with the included Applecare+ for about $5 more a month? A 128GB would be about 29/37 from AT&T or 41 from Apple with the protection.

Looks like I have two weeks to evaluate regardless.

Li Kao

Hmm, I may be in the market for a new phone, so dumb question time : is the iphone 7 that much of a gamechanger power-wise or can I buy a 6 and not feel bad ?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Hmm, I may be in the market for a new phone, so dumb question time : is the iphone 7 that much of a gamechanger power-wise or can I buy a 6 and not feel bad ?

I've found that there's quite a significant difference between my former 6S and my current 7, and the 7Plus even more so. I use it a lot for gaming and load times and such are heavily reduced.

Very significant difference between a 6 and a 7

Hell, if you need to not buy the newest thing I just say buy a 6S over a 6. You'll be way happier there too

DOWN

Banned
You can be ok on a 6S, but not a 6. The gap between 6 and 7 performance is huge.

I officially have regret, wished I got the Jet Black versus the matte black. Oh well, lesson learned. When this year's iPhone comes out I won't make that mistake

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Ah fuck I think I am pulling the trigger tonight. Have never used iPhone, will jump from Moto X Pure. I was thinking o doing the Apple upgrade program. Anyone else with experience using it?

Ah fuck I think I am pulling the trigger tonight. Have never used iPhone, will jump from Moto X Pure. I was thinking o doing the Apple upgrade program. Anyone else with experience using it?

Just went from 6P to the 7+ on Thursday doing the Upgrade program in-store. Was painless. Ask away.

I did have prior iOS experience, though. They will walk you through any questions, but it's better if you go at a not horrendous time to get one on one help.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Just went from 6P to the 7+ on Thursday doing the Upgrade program in-store. Was painless. Ask away.

I did have prior iOS experience, though. They will walk you through any questions, but it's better if you go at a not horrendous time to get one on one help.
Do you know if it's a hard credit inquiry? I am usually wary and careful of too many credit pulls.

Yes, it's a hard pull. You are applying for a loan for the phone.

But a hard pull once a year is fine in and of itself. Just factor it into your other ones.

Loci

Girlfriend needs a new phone and used a 5S until late.
She wants to get the iPhone SE since she likes the size of the 5S.
Are people satisfied with the SE in general?

Girlfriend needs a new phone and used a 5S until late.
She wants to get the iPhone SE since she likes the size of the 5S.
Are people satisfied with the SE in general?

My girlfriend also had a 5S and didn't want to change sizes so I bought her an SE

She really loves it. Is totally satisfied

Got an iPhone 7 128GB Jet Black. I love it, it's a huge upgrade from Xperia M5 I had. I haven't been using iOS since V5 and it's a huge upgrade and I love how intuitive and well designed the interface is. It's much more to my liking than Android.

Zero complaints so far. I put on a cheap case and plastic screen protector and ordered better cases online, as I want to test numerous ones.

Got an iPhone 7 128GB Jet Black. I love it, it's a huge upgrade from Xperia M5 I had. I haven't been using iOS since V5 and it's a huge upgrade and I love how intuitive and well designed the interface is. It's much more to my liking than Android.

Zero complaints so far. I put on a cheap case and plastic screen protector and ordered better cases online, as I want to test numerous ones.

I picked up a Spigen Air Fit 360 case and I love it. Only issue, and one I've had with almost any iPhone case, is the cutouts at the bottom need to be chamfered. I don't know why no one does this.

I'm trying to stick with Safari, but hell, is there no fast scrolling option? Downward? Take like five years to get to the bottom of a long page.

Just dropping in to let you know my two week old 7+ 128 is great. I had to upgrade after my beloved 6+ found itself submerged in water in a toilet.

Anyway, to those of you still defending the lack of headphone jack, I used my lightning adaptor for the third time today while doing some housework. When used with Spotify, it skips tracks and stops/starts for no reason. So I switched to my Music app, which while not as bad, did cut out a few times.

Like I've said before, the lightning jack is not fit for purpose as a headphone jack. The plug itself is to small and nowhere near durable enough, while it would appear the adaptor continues in the trend of shoddy Apple lightning cables that break if you so much as look at them the wrong way.

Inexcusable garbage. Grrr. Courage my arse.

Cyport

My replacement iPhone 6+ from Apple has started acting up, the touch screen doesn't always respond and there's an unusual grey bar appearing from the top sometimes. I'm not sure what to do. I'm currently saving up and waiting for this years version to buy outright. Any suggestions?

My replacement iPhone 6+ from Apple has started acting up, the touch screen doesn't always respond and there's an unusual grey bar appearing from the top sometimes. I'm not sure what to do. I'm currently saving up and waiting for this years version to buy outright. Any suggestions?
When was it replaced? They usually give you an extended warranty when a device is repaired or replaced.

Vyer

Just dropping in to let you know my two week old 7+ 128 is great. I had to upgrade after my beloved 6+ found itself submerged in water in a toilet.

Anyway, to those of you still defending the lack of headphone jack, I used my lightning adaptor for the third time today while doing some housework. When used with Spotify, it skips tracks and stops/starts for no reason. So I switched to my Music app, which while not as bad, did cut out a few times.

Like I've said before, the lightning jack is not fit for purpose as a headphone jack. The plug itself is to small and nowhere near durable enough, while it would appear the adaptor continues in the trend of shoddy Apple lightning cables that break if you so much as look at them the wrong way.

I don't have any of those issues with my adapter, save for I don't use Spotify so I can't comment there.

Cyport

Nah, it's out of that period then. That's a known issue, they essentially swap out the entire phone for the cost of a display replacement ($150 in the US)

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6plus-multitouch/

thanks for the link, that's very frustrating and ridiculous they blame it on "dropping the phone". I've always been careful especially since the last phone got ever so slightly bent and the screen was clicking when being pressed in a certain area.

Last time they replaced it for £100 so I'm hoping they're in another generous mood next week. The battery and general speeds on this 6+ has been terrible recently anyway.

Yea what's even worse is bluetooth headphones fucking skip and pop. Randomly.

thanks for the link, that's very frustrating and ridiculous they blame it on "dropping the phone". I've always been careful especially since the last phone got ever so slightly bent and the screen was clicking when being pressed in a certain area.

Last time they replaced it for £100 so I'm hoping they're in another generous mood next week. The battery and general speeds on this 6+ has been terrible recently anyway.

The wording is very inflammatory, probably the worst thing they could have done. The program does help though, before it started you would have had to have paid the whole replacement price of the phone, not just the screen rate

Lexxism

Is there any restrictions on how many watts I need for an iphone usb power adapter? I can go more than 12W without harming the phone?

Yeah I've definitely seen that from time to time, though it seems to be primarily with my BT speaker

My bluetooth speaker is rock solid. Logitech UE mega boom. Never skipped unless it's right next to the microwave while it's on.

My Jaybird X2's were ROCK solid in iOS 9.x. Never a major problem. Upgrades to iOS 10 on my 6+...constant popping and crackling.

Got my iPhone 7+. Same thing.
Said fuck it and upgraded to Jaybird X3's. Same thing.
Said fuck it and returned the X3's and got Powerbeat 3's. Same thing although not as often.

And my Sennheiser Urbanite XL wireless gets it the worst. It boggles my mind all these tech blogs just casually skip over this shit. It's really bad.

Is there any restrictions on how many watts I need for an iphone usb power adapter? I can go more than 12W without harming the phone?

It doesn't matter how much the power supply gives, the phone will only pull what it can handle. You can hook it up to 85W, you won't do any damage

That being said the only voltage the phone supports is 5V, and you'll be hard pressed to find a single USB port that supplies 5V at higher than like 3A, so 15W. Anything higher, like the new MacBook Pro USB-C chargers, give up to 85W but at a much higher voltage, so yor phone would default down to 5V regardless

Aka don't worry about it, just about the quality of the charger itself

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ah dammit I think I have a defective phone. My 7 has these weird dots in low light video. Sometimes in pictures I get too much lens flare during the day. Probably a defective lens. No Apple store near me so I'm trying to figure out if I should mail it in or wait until April or so when I'm in Texas. Not sure what the mail in process is for something so weird since it's situational.

Vyer

My bluetooth speaker is rock solid. Logitech UE mega boom. Never skipped unless it's right next to the microwave while it's on.

My Jaybird X2's were ROCK solid in iOS 9.x. Never a major problem. Upgrades to iOS 10 on my 6+...constant popping and crackling.

Said fuck it and returned the X3's and got Powerbeat 3's. Same thing although not as often.

And my Sennheiser Urbanite XL wireless gets it the worst. It boggles my mind all these tech blogs just casually skip over this shit. It's really bad.

I'm using the Jaybirds, but the previous model than those X3s I think? Can't say I've noticed it much there. I've got the Logitech boom 2, not the mega, and I've seen it happen occasionally with it.

Ah dammit I think I have a defective phone. My 7 has these weird dots in low light video. Sometimes in pictures I get too much lens flare during the day. Probably a defective lens. No Apple store near me so I'm trying to figure out if I should mail it in or wait until April or so when I'm in Texas. Not sure what the mail in process is for something so weird since it's situational.

Probably worth a shot to call. Never done applecare stuff over the phone, just in store, but it might be faster/simpler than you think.

xJavonta

Banned

Never used my adapter but my girlfriend doesn't have this problem with hers on her 7. She uses Spotify too. It's probably just a faulty adapter tbh

Upgrade to BT headphones fam. Haven't had an issue with my Powerbeats 2, and I'm sure something newer like Powerbeats 3 or Jaybird X3s would be even better

Lexxism

It doesn't matter how much the power supply gives, the phone will only pull what it can handle. You can hook it up to 85W, you won't do any damage

That being said the only voltage the phone supports is 5V, and you'll be hard pressed to find a single USB port that supplies 5V at higher than like 3A, so 15W. Anything higher, like the new MacBook Pro USB-C chargers, give up to 85W but at a much higher voltage, so yor phone would default down to 5V regardless

Ah, thanks!

I think there are other factors at play. I'll have issues some days on different devices, but not another, vice versa, etc. Sometimes I have to be within two feet of the device (ie, in my pocket but my hand over it makes it stutter) for it to work properly. Other times I can walk away from the treadmill to the towel dispenser and it still work.

It's not perfect, but it works mostly for me.

DOWN

Banned

The phone can handle at least 10W though, so not all chargers power it at the same speed

Apple only includes a 5W charger with phones, but iPads come with 10W chargers and the phone can charge much faster when using one.

So just to clarify, not all chargers are the same results and you can get faster charging than the default charger

The phone can handle at least 10W though, so not all chargers power it at the same speed

Apple only includes a 5W charger with phones, but iPads come with 10W chargers and the phone can charge much faster when using one.

So just to clarify, not all chargers are the same results and you can get faster charging than the default charger

Correct, but I was referring to volts specifically, not watts. The iPad charger supplies 5V just the same as the iPhone charger, just at 2 amps versus 1 amp, hence the faster charging

However, if you plug the iPhone into a 20V supply it's going to have a bad time. Luckily I don't think there's a USB port out there that doesn't offer 5V as a fallback, even if it supports higher voltages

BillyJack

Banned
This is truly the shittiest phone I have ever owned.
Dropped calls.
Can't see call waiting.
Constant freezing.
Apps not switching.

and this is my third one!

Not an issue per se but does anyone have some troubles getting the 7 Plus camera to quickly focus? Seems like it needs to refocus before taking any shots, which means I miss some time sensitive ones since it takes several seconds to clear up

Not an issue per se but does anyone have some troubles getting the 7 Plus camera to quickly focus? Seems like it needs to refocus before taking any shots, which means I miss some time sensitive ones since it takes several seconds to clear up
Sometimes.

Also today I dropped my phone like 20cm when I was on the couch and it fell on the TV remote, chipping the screen protector. So grateful I had one on :p but I guess now I need to replace it.

123rl

I'm still impressed with Portrait mode. It can vary from very good to absolutely excellent. I wish Apple would tone down the DNR slightly but well-lit Portrait photos look fantastic

I took this earlier of my favourite camera model:

vkHY6eR.jpg

Vyer

Reading the storage rumors, I honestly feel like I could get by fine with a 64 gig. Especially if I pick up an iPad before then. I'm at that point now, but that's because I haven't done much management knowing I've got the spare storage.

If so, I might be able to go base model for the first time in a while.

I'm still impressed with Portrait mode. It can vary from very good to absolutely excellent. I wish Apple would tone down the DNR slightly but well-lit Portrait photos look fantastic

I took this earlier of my favourite camera model:

vkHY6eR.jpg

Yeah, you can get some good shots with it, though occasionally it struggles with detecting the edges.

Kal

Just about to purchase a 7 plus; looking for a case - currently have the Apple leather case on my 6 plus. Is there any case that is similar to the Apple leather case but covers the bottom (with cutouts)? Thanks! :)

Top Bottom