• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dork

Banned
I will get a 3g one if they are the same price as the current ones. Anything over 400 is like finding a pubic hair in your cereal. I want it for a phone, not an mp3 player don't need 32 gigs, i have my ipod touch

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
v4gr4nt said:
Hopefully Apple won't abandone the "old" Iphone users
In what way? Existing iPhone users will be getting AppStore support, which by itself should be all the support they'd ever need.

cjdunn

CEO Steve Jobs, will kick off the company’s annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) with a keynote address beginning at 10:00 a.m. on Monday, June 9, 2008 at San Francisco’s Moscone West. This year’s WWDC will showcase two revolutionary development platforms, the ground-breaking innovations of OS X Leopard® and OS X iPhone™, the world’s most advanced mobile operating system.

Wonder if we'll see any product bumps come out this week to get them out of the way? Apple does that on occasion.

I'm wondering if I should skip the conference and just head straight to an Apple store. Anyone else have an idea how they're going to acquire their iPhone?

SuperPac

Marty Chinn said:
I'm wondering if I should skip the conference and just head straight to an Apple store. Anyone else have an idea how they're going to acquire their iPhone?

That's if they were to launch the phones on the same day as the supposed announcement. Which may happen, but then again it may not (if it is to, there'll likely be rumors of Apple Stores receiving mystery shipments). That AT&T Store vacation blackout memo said those stores expect a heavy selling period from June 15-July 12. That's apparently the same blackout as last year, and last year the iPhone launched at the end of June.

Macam

Banned
Looks like I may see you at the show, Phoenix. I'm just not looking forward to the number of people that are going to be at the show since they're generally pretty packed to begin with and this is the first one that's sold out.

Chorazin

I'll consider an iPhone only AT&T subsidizes them as an older rumor suggests and current iPhone owners can get a 3g at the subsidized price. As I doubt this will happen, I'll be sticking with my current model.

SuperPac said:
That's if they were to launch the phones on the same day as the supposed announcement. Which may happen, but then again it may not (if it is to, there'll likely be rumors of Apple Stores receiving mystery shipments). That AT&T Store vacation blackout memo said those stores expect a heavy selling period from June 15-July 12. That's apparently the same blackout as last year, and last year the iPhone launched at the end of June.

Ya, that's the issue. I would hate that I'm watching the conference and they say available now and then I rush out to get one only to find out they're sold out cuz I was watching while other people were at the store waiting. At the same time I would hate to miss out on the conference from sitting in a line when it turns out there's no product. I hope there's a clear indicator one way or another on where I should be Monday morning =)

aparisi2274

Marty Chinn said:
Ya, that's the issue. I would hate that I'm watching the conference and they say available now and then I rush out to get one only to find out they're sold out cuz I was watching while other people were at the store waiting. At the same time I would hate to miss out on the conference from sitting in a line when it turns out there's no product. I hope there's a clear indicator one way or another on where I should be Monday morning =)

I would say you could watch the conf from your iPhone while standing in line to get a new iPhone...

LOL!!!

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I updated to 1.1.4 today, jailbroke it and all that (ziphone). All is well, but a few niggling issues that I can't seem to find a solution to:

* Before the update, I had it so it displayed 3 rows of icons versus 4. How do I make it out 3 rows of icons per page? I don't see the option in SMBprefs. <-- Fixed* Now I know why the icons would wiggle every so often... :lol

* Using iPhone Browser, I don't have access to the full directory anymore. Only iTunes_Control and DCIM <-- Fixed!*

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So...is it likely that the 3g plans will be more expensive than the Edge ones?
I already have a phone, and would be much more inclined to upgrade, if all I had to do was plug it in my computer and install the backup... I really don't want to sign up for a new 3g plan.

Macam

Banned
aparisi2274 said:
I would say you could watch the conf from your iPhone while standing in line to get a new iPhone...

LOL!!!

The streams aren't usually available until a day later at best.. Short of reading Gizmodo's play-by-play or what have you, that's not possible. That said, I never found it to be much of an issue since there's no real advantage to buying it RIGHT NOW short of being one of the first people to have it, which is hardly any real prize.

SuperPac

Marty Chinn said:

I would think Apple will want "event" hysteria surrounding the (possibly worldwide?) launch. I kinda predict we'll get a "launches at 6 p.m. local time on such and such a date" thing again. That might be the one-year anniversary or it could be sometime next week (not Monday). Looking at that AT&T vacation blackout memo though... makes me think it won't be available immediately. I'd love to be wrong tho'!

SuperPac said:
I would think Apple will want "event" hysteria surrounding the (possibly worldwide?) launch. I kinda predict we'll get a "launches at 6 p.m. local time on such and such a date" thing again. That might be the one-year anniversary or it could be sometime next week (not Monday). Looking at that AT&T vacation blackout memo though... makes me think it won't be available immediately. I'd love to be wrong tho'!

I'm not sure they can build the same hype for the iPhone again a year later. It's not a new product anymore, and the 3G iPhone isn't going to be different enough, by most accounts, to cause the kind of stir they did last year. Unless, of course, they've got something even bigger up their sleeve that they're waiting to drop on us.

For instance, what if it's the 3G iPhone, with a few other upgrades (GPS, camera), AND AT&T subsidization that brings it down to $199 making it more affordable than ever. That might generate a bunch of hype, and might get me to upgrade.

But when the second, or third generation iPods were released they just shipped them out and there wasn't much made of them.

Enzom21

DaCocoBrova said:
I updated to 1.1.4 today, jailbroke it and all that (ziphone). All is well, but a few niggling issues that I can't seem to find a solution to:

* Before the update, I had it so it displayed 3 rows of icons versus 4. How do I make it out 3 rows of icons per page? I don't see the option in SMBprefs.

* Using iPhone Browser, I don't have access to the full directory anymore. Only iTunes_Control and DCIM <-- Fixed!*

Any help would be appreciated.
You were on 1.1.2 before moving to 1.1.4 correct? In 1.1.4 icon sort is built in, just press and hold any icon until they all start wiggling, then you can move them wherever you like.

Juice

I think this all clicked for me after reading *this* rumor.

Here's what I think we're going to see. TWO iPhone lines with two capacities each. With these bullets:

All new iPhones:
- 3G
- Improved battery
- No more chrome rim, something milder/sleeker
- Glossy back that prevents scratching

1. iPhone:
- 20% slimmer
- A wee bit shorter (cutting dead space, same screen size)

8GB: $399 ($199 after $200 subsidy)
16GB: $499 ($299 after $200 subsidy)

2. iPhone Phat (or some other sufficient suffix):
- 10% thicker, matching the slightly bulkier molds going around
- Front-facing camera for video chat
- 5MP camera + Video recording + YouTube uploads
- GPS + turn by turn

16GB: $599 ($399 after $200 subsidy)
32GB: $699 ($499 after $200 subsidy)

-----

Obviously, the stock iPhone would be as the Nano was for the original iPod and really push the total iPhone count through the roof. The iPhone Phat will do a great job of keeping a feature and "Jesusphone" advantage over the competition

mjfor40

Sorry for not reading through 1000 posts, but is this new iPhone going have any real new features? Or is the 3G the main upgrade?

I have the original iPhone and am using for T-Mobile. Any reason to eBay it and wait for the new one coming out (and use for T-Mobile)?

Thanks.

Phoenix

Macam said:
Looks like I may see you at the show, Phoenix. I'm just not looking forward to the number of people that are going to be at the show since they're generally pretty packed to begin with and this is the first one that's sold out.

PM me, I'll definitely be there.

Apple for damn certain is announcing something new at the show. Have you see the number of conference slots left "TBA" and the number of "Getting Started" labs that are listed as "TBA".

Good times :)

Phoenix

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'm not sure they can build the same hype for the iPhone again a year later. It's not a new product anymore, and the 3G iPhone isn't going to be different enough, by most accounts, to cause the kind of stir they did last year. Unless, of course, they've got something even bigger up their sleeve that they're waiting to drop on us.

Count on it.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Phoenix said:
Count on it.

I fully expect current iPhone + 3G and nothing more. Not getting my hopes up.

But dear lord does Apple have a chance to wow people.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I don't want an iPhone "Phat" put all that cool stuff into the damn small shape.

Make it happen Apple.

10.6 and the .Mac revamp may be cool, but they're not enough to build hype for the new iPhone, which is what Phoenix and I were referring to.

hirokazu

VOOK said:
I don't want an iPhone "Phat" put all that cool stuff into the damn small shape.

Make it happen Apple.
There was a rumour this week that the 3G iPhone is 22% thinner than the existing model, although it runs contrary to existing rumours that it will be thicker.

I don't like that TUAW 10.6 rumour. :( 10.6 with no significant new features? WTF? I'm not paying for security fixes, those are for incremental updates. I hope they have a tablet at WWDC. :)

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Any info about price tag of the new 3G model (in Europe) ? Some analytics are saying that the price would go low as 99€ (Iphone wasn't such an big success in EU... at least yet).

Fuzz Rez said:
Any info about price tag of the new 3G model (in Europe) ? Some analytics are saying that the price would go low as 99€ (Iphone wasn't such an big success in EU... at least yet).

Why don't we wait a week until it's, you know officially announced, before we start asking these questions. The 3G iPhone doesn't even exist as a real product yet. Yes, we all know it's coming, and most likely it's getting announced next week, but asking these kinds of highly specific questions before the product is announced is kind of silly. It's like asking what the price of the PS4 is going to be.

suaveric

I think the phone will go on sale next week, but probably not on the day of the announcement. My guess would be somewhere between the 13th and 15th.

As for anyone wanting to line up.. wasn't the iPhone still widely available last year hours after it went on sale? I thought it never did sell out, not even on the first day.

suaveric said:
I think the phone will go on sale next week, but probably not on the day of the announcement. My guess would be somewhere between the 13th and 15th.

As for anyone wanting to line up.. wasn't the iPhone still widely available last year hours after it went on sale? I thought it never did sell out, not even on the first day.

It was tough to get in AT&T stores, but Apple Stores still had them. And as I said a few posts up, I'm not sure Apple can build the same amount of hype for it a year later. Phoenix seems to know something he isn't sharing though, so we're all still waiting for him to spill the beans. *drums fingers on desk* ;)

ckohler

If a new iPhone is going to be available next week, wouldn't we have already seen pictures of it in FCC filings? Apple made a big stink last time over the fact that they had to wait six months before selling the iPhone after announcing it because of the FCC approval process.

I'll ask here: can you add an Iphone to an AT&T family plan for $9.99 and the $20/month data, and use company discounts (I get 25% from my employer) on the base family plan (we can do this with Verizon is the main reason we use them)? I'd get a Blackberry on Verizon but the data plan is like $45/mo.

I'm thinking the Iphone would be an awesome portable movie player for streaming video from my PC (and if 3G would be fast enough OMG).

suaveric

njp142 said:
I'll ask here: can you add an Iphone to an AT&T family plan for $9.99 and the $20/month data, and use company discounts (I get 25% from my employer) on the base family plan (we can do this with Verizon is the main reason we use them)? I'd get a Blackberry on Verizon but the data plan is like $45/mo.

I'm thinking the Iphone would be an awesome portable movie player for streaming video from my PC (and if 3G would be fast enough OMG).

with the current iphone, there are no company discounts. i'm hoping that will change with the 3g iphone.

suaveric said:
with the current iphone, there are no company discounts. i'm hoping that will change with the 3g iphone.

well I read somewhere if the iphone is not the primary phone on the family account, you can still get the discount. Can anyone confirm?

Phoenix

njp142 said:
well I read somewhere if the iphone is not the primary phone on the family account, you can still get the discount. Can anyone confirm?

I can confirm that its false. The only way to get the iPhone on a family plan with the discount is to lie to the rep somehow and tell them that its a regular phone. But then of course, the AT&T servers will treat it like a regular phone and all those iPhone services like visual voicemail, as well as most of the real benefit of the iPhone immediately go away.

Phoenix

ckohler said:
If a new iPhone is going to be available next week, wouldn't we have already seen pictures of it in FCC filings? Apple made a big stink last time over the fact that they had to wait six months before selling the iPhone after announcing it because of the FCC approval process.

No, the FCC has a new process in place where one can 'stealth test' a device. Apple and a bunch of other CE vendors bitched enough that a new mechanism for getting certed without having to reveal the device was made available. Its still must be revealed before you can actually sell the device though.

SuperPac said:

This reminds me of a point.

One thing for everyone to keep in mind is that there was a huge amount of work to do within AT&T to get ready for the original launch of the iPhone. Not only were they working for months to improve Edge, but they also had to train employees, prepare and install the demo stations, beef up security and inventory management, make iTunes activation work, and teach employees a new way to sell a phone.

Since all of those things are already in place now, there should be nothing to prevent Apple from dropping the new version as soon as they want to.

Pardon me if this has already been asked but, lets say I buy a Iphone from AT&T, is it possible to get apple care for the iphone and if so how would I go about doing it?

Mustaphadamus said:
Pardon me if this has already been asked but, lets say I buy a Iphone from AT&T, is it possible to get apple care for the iphone and if so how would I go about doing it?

Buy Apple Care at an Apple Store or from their website?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
mjfor40 said:
Sorry for not reading through 1000 posts, but is this new iPhone going have any real new features? Or is the 3G the main upgrade?

I have the original iPhone and am using for T-Mobile. Any reason to eBay it and wait for the new one coming out (and use for T-Mobile)?

Thanks.
Well, I would if I knew the new ones could be jailbroken straight way.
Otherwise, I'm keeping my 8GB as long as I can.

are the current iPhones able to view video media from sites like Veoh.com CNN MSNBC from the browser?

sorry I have not been following the phone much but I am thinking of jumping in soon

border

Just so I don't get my hopes up too much, there are two things I'm really wanting:

--Internet Radio anywhere over cell network
--Podcast downloads over cell network & WiFi

I know that the iPhone currently doesn't support these activities, but are they technically possible and would Apple allow 3rd party software to do so? I'm not sure if AT&T wants its customers constantly streaming radio over their 3G network, so I'm not sure how a radio app would pan out.

Maybe this stuff is already possible on a Jailbroken phone, I haven't kept up at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom