iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
border said:
Just so I don't get my hopes up too much, there are two things I'm really wanting:

--Internet Radio anywhere over cell network
--Podcast downloads over cell network & WiFi

I know that the iPhone currently doesn't support these activities, but are they technically possible and would Apple allow 3rd party software to do so? I'm not sure if AT&T wants its customers constantly streaming radio over their 3G network, so I'm not sure how a radio app would pan out.

Maybe this stuff is already possible on a Jailbroken phone, I haven't kept up at all.
Yeah, it's possible on jailbroken iPhones.
Internet radio I'm sure of, and pretty sure about podcasts.
 
border said:
Just so I don't get my hopes up too much, there are two things I'm really wanting:

--Internet Radio anywhere over cell network
--Podcast downloads over cell network & WiFi

I know that the iPhone currently doesn't support these activities, but are they technically possible and would Apple allow 3rd party software to do so? I'm not sure if AT&T wants its customers constantly streaming radio over their 3G network, so I'm not sure how a radio app would pan out.

Maybe this stuff is already possible on a Jailbroken phone, I haven't kept up at all.
I imagine the App Store will contain widgets to let you listen to all kinds of things (as OSX's many available dashboard widgets do). Not sure if that will be limited to Wifi or if it would pick them up over the cell network. At the moment certain apps like the iTunes Store only work over Wifi (and YouTube only works *well* via Wifi). We should know more on Monday at the WWDC keynote.

Personally I wouldn't buy the phone just to rely on functionality possible via Jailbreak. While some seem to love it, it really killed the stability of my phone when I did it to add an IM client. (I was sick of Apple not having one.) After the phone froze twice and wouldn't reset for 10-15 minutes at a clip I restored the phone and am just waiting for official stuff now. Not worth that kind of hassle (to me).
 
Smiles and Cries said:
thanks

hmmm that sucks any chance the new ones would support these streaming media formats
There is a chance. There is also a chance that the old ones will get an update to support some of those things. Just have to wait and see.

BTW, the NBC site is pretty nice for the iPhone. It has full stream episodes of The Office and a few other programs.
 
Kung Fu Jedi said:
There is a chance. There is also a chance that the old ones will get an update to support some of those things. Just have to wait and see.

BTW, the NBC site is pretty nice for the iPhone. It has full stream episodes of The Office and a few other programs.
HULU would be sweet
 
I don't wanna get a phone just to Jailbreak it (and I doubt the 3G phones will be hacked for some time anyway). I was just curious if Apple or its developer licenses said anything about utilizing the 3G network for radio or podcasts (eg: explicit prohibition of said uses).

I've got to imagine that someone will write software to do these things, but I'm just worried that Apple won't allow it. Only if that happened would I really concern myself with Jailbreak.
 
border said:
I don't wanna get a phone just to Jailbreak it (and I doubt the 3G phones will be hacked for some time anyway). I was just curious if Apple or its developer licenses said anything about utilizing the 3G network for radio or podcasts (eg: explicit prohibition of said uses).

I've got to imagine that someone will write software to do these things, but I'm just worried that Apple won't allow it. Only if that happened would I really concern myself with Jailbreak.
There has been some talk about the iTunes Store on the 3G iPhone opening up for buying music on the 3G network, and that they might allow for the download of podcasts that way as well. That would be great if you asked me.
 
SuperPac said:
Personally I wouldn't buy the phone just to rely on functionality possible via Jailbreak. While some seem to love it, it really killed the stability of my phone when I did it to add an IM client. (I was sick of Apple not having one.) After the phone froze twice and wouldn't reset for 10-15 minutes at a clip I restored the phone and am just waiting for official stuff now. Not worth that kind of hassle (to me).
www.meebo.com

No need to install an app.
Works really well for me, even via non-wifi. (i use t-zones)
 
don't know if this is an iphone problem, but i tried d/l some wallpapers from sciphone by just drag/dropping them into Iphoto and they all end up looking blurry, like the wrong res. Am i doing something wrong?
 

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I'm pissed...

I have a 1.1.4 iPhone. It's jailbroken via Ziphone. Worked fine initially, but after replacing the DCIM contents w/ the backup I had of all my pics, I am no longer able to take pictures. The last pic I take will show up as thumbnail, but it will be a white box when I go through all of my pictures (thumbnails), and a black screen when I select it (the white box).

So I restored it.

That did not fix it.

I'm not the only one to experience this...

Is there any solution? I use the camera feature quite often.

Thanks in advance.
 

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
border said:
Just so I don't get my hopes up too much, there are two things I'm really wanting:

--Internet Radio anywhere over cell network
--Podcast downloads over cell network & WiFi

I know that the iPhone currently doesn't support these activities, but are they technically possible and would Apple allow 3rd party software to do so? I'm not sure if AT&T wants its customers constantly streaming radio over their 3G network, so I'm not sure how a radio app would pan out.
Current iPhones already support streaming radio stations over the internet and podcast streaming, so I don't see why that would change with 3G iphones. It's built into the browser. There's no specific podcast app for downloading OTA but you can stream just fine.

AccuRadio has a iPhone specific web app to access Internet radio (accuradio.flytunes.fm) for example, and you can get podcasts by pointing the browser at the specific feed/site for the podcast.

EDGE works well enough for streaming audio under good conditions. Not so much for video, obviously.
 
kaching said:
Current iPhones already support streaming radio stations over the internet and podcast streaming, so I don't see why that would change with 3G iphones. It's built into the browser. There's no specific podcast app for downloading OTA but you can stream just fine.

AccuRadio has a iPhone specific web app to access Internet radio (accuradio.flytunes.fm) for example, and you can get podcasts by pointing the browser at the specific feed/site for the podcast.

EDGE works well enough for streaming audio under good conditions. Not so much for video, obviously.

And there are native radio streaming applications coming to the iPhone. Saw one from a major player on stage and 2 in development in the iPhone dev lab.
 
Glad to hear that radio streaming works pretty well, and has apps to support it.

I don't have high hopes for podcasting, as it'd require a 3rd party app to go in and alter your podcast library......then somehow the changes to that library would have to be re-sync'ed to the iTunes on your computer. That doesn't sound like the sort of thing Apple wants 3rd parties messing around with. I'm sure Apple could do it themselves, but since they haven't mentioned it I don't think it is likely.
 

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
border said:
I don't have high hopes for podcasting, as it'd require a 3rd party app to go in and alter your podcast library......then somehow the changes to that library would have to be re-sync'ed to the iTunes on your computer.
It doesn't necessarily have to sync with the iTunes podcast library at all. A dev could setup their own library and the app could be totally self-contained on the iPhone.
 
DaCocoBrova said:
I'm pissed...

I have a 1.1.4 iPhone. It's jailbroken via Ziphone. Worked fine initially, but after replacing the DCIM contents w/ the backup I had of all my pics, I am no longer able to take pictures. The last pic I take will show up as thumbnail, but it will be a white box when I go through all of my pictures (thumbnails), and a black screen when I select it (the white box).

So I restored it.

That did not fix it.

I'm not the only one to experience this...

Is there any solution? I use the camera feature quite often.

Thanks in advance.
This should work for you... http://www.modmyifone.com/forums/jailbreak-downgrading-upgrading/41331-pictures-not-storing-white-box-outline.html
 
I have a decent contract paid by my company on Vodafone (N95 8GB) so I'm gonna try and pick up one from within europe sim free and pop my vodafone sim in.

I wonder what the 3G speeds are because unlike the US 7.2Mb/s is pretty common around the UK, reports I read so far sound shit.
 

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.

Thanks.

WinSCP just doesn't like me very much and either won't connect at all, or when it does, it constantly times out. I just managed to change the permissions on the DCIM folder, which took a minute, then timed out again while applying the permissions change. Currently checking to see if it took.

Edit: Finally made the changes. Rebooting to see if it all worked. I also had to change the permissions to the cookies folder /var/Library/Cookies as the phone refuses to remember any username or password since upgrading to 1.1.4.

Hope it worked!


It Worked!

 
haunts said:
so with the new iphone, do I have to get ATT or can I get it unlocked or something and still use verizon?
have to get att, cant buy the phone online, have to buy them in stores reduces the amount of people unlocking them.
 
DaCocoBrova said:
Thanks.

WinSCP just doesn't like me very much and either won't connect at all, or when it does, it constantly times out. I just managed to change the permissions on the DCIM folder, which took a minute, then timed out again while applying the permissions change. Currently checking to see if it took.

Edit: Finally made the changes. Rebooting to see if it all worked. I also had to change the permissions to the cookies folder /var/Library/Cookies as the phone refuses to remember any username or password since upgrading to 1.1.4.

Hope it worked!


It Worked!

Glad it worked. If you plan on rejailbreaking, I would use iLiberty instead of Ziphone.
 
Will the ipod touch go down in pricing as a result of the new $199 Iphone price? I haven't been in the loop concerning Ipods for a long time, but the ipod touch does pretty much everything the iphone does except the phone part, for less of a price, correct?

I had heard that the gaming application will cost $10 on the ipod touch versus being free on the iphone. Just wondering what pricing situation looks like.
 
Guy Legend said:
Will the ipod touch go down in pricing as a result of the new $199 Iphone price? I haven't been in the loop concerning Ipods for a long time, but the ipod touch does pretty much everything the iphone does except the phone part, for less of a price, correct?

I had heard that the gaming application will cost $10 on the ipod touch versus being free on the iphone. Just wondering what pricing situation looks like.
Possibly, but my guess is not by much. A big reason the iPhone can be $200 is that you have to sign up for a two year service agreement to get one.
 

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Guy Legend said:
I had heard that the gaming application will cost $10 on the ipod touch versus being free on the iphone.
No, that's just the Firmware update which will be free for iPhone owners, but will cost the ipod touch owners $10.

Once apps start appearing on the App Store for both, the charge for the actual apps will be the same.
 
Juice said:
So if I keep my 2G iPhone I can keep paying $20 a month AND use Exchange, but if I upgrade I have to pay $45 for the same feature?? WTF.
Did anyone see this post? If this is true, it would be catastrophic. It should be on TV. Does the Wired guy post here?

I really want to know the answer.
 

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Juice said:
Did anyone see this post? If this is true, it would be catastrophic. It should be on TV. Does the Wired guy post here?

I really want to know the answer.
Where have you seen it confirmed that you can't use Exchange services on the $30 plan? I believe the $45 business plan is for if you want AT&T to host those services for you, but if your company or someone is hosting the Exchange servers, then the $30 plan should be fine.
 

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Since there was some earlier talk about Internet Radio support, here's confirmation of AOL Radio app. Sounds like it's coming around about the time of the FW 2.0 release. Article says "free" but not clear if that refers to the app itself, streaming the radio stations or both.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/aol-turns-the-iphone-into-an-expensive-radio/

Sounds like it'll use 3G and GPS/Core Location in tandem:

It will connect to AOL’s servers by way of the cellular network. The phone’s GPS system will monitor signals from satellites orbiting 12,000 miles in space in order to determine your location. This will automatically determine your location and tune to the digital stream from the nearest CBS station.
 
Cedeo said:
Is there anyway/place I could get the new iPhone3G whenever it comes out and not get a contract with it for the price of $199??!
No (at least not in the US). The price of $199 is with a 2-year AT&T contract. If you cancel within 30 days you have to return the phone. If you cancel after 30 days, you have to pay an early termination fee of somewhere around $200.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.