• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matix

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
We're all still wondering why.

So it can seamlessly match with my potential black iPhone, next to to my black digital clock, on top of my black nightstand, near my black bedset, across from my black Desktop, adjacent to my black laptop, which isn't to far from my black 360, that is below my black HDTV, that sits on top of my black TV-Stand, which is surrounded by my fully furnished black apartment (with white walls and badge carpeted floors). Was that a good enough explanation?

Juice said:
I can spray paint mine and sell it for double the price.

I'll keep that in mind.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Well, I apparently have egg on my face. This is bullshit:

Do I need anything special to use the iPhone’s Exchange/ActiveSync functionality?

Yes, AT&T told us that those corporate e-mail features are intended for business users, which we took to mean you’ll need to pay the extra $15 a month for the corporate data plan over the regular data plan. Consumers have the option of getting similar functionality using Apple’s MobileMe.

http://www.macworld.com/article/133988/2008/06/iphone3gfaqs.html

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
I simply can't believe Apple didn't take the opportunity to lower the annual fee with the re-introduction of .mac (mobileme). I mean, $99? Really? Consumers expect these services to be free these days. Even dropping to $49 would have done wonders.

border

Is there a web page on Apple's site that details all the plans, prices, and options for this thing? I can't seem to find it just browsing around.

teiresias

You didn't think Apple was going to make it easy for you to use ActiveStink did you? They always seemed so mature about providing that functionality after all.

Wow! That's incredibly lame. I wouldn't be using it in that environment, but damn that's incredibly lame. if they want to compete on a corporate level witht he iPhone, they're finding ways to shoot themselves in the foot.

dork

Banned
I want to see the unlimited text plan. Who would use all this data and a fancy phone and not text?

Also I need to find a good case

NeoForte

Just wondering, is anyone having problems with the safari or edge service lately? My iPhone has of late been crashing when I surf the internet with Edge a lot. It's really weird :/

Phoenix

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Wow! That's incredibly lame. I wouldn't be using it in that environment, but damn that's incredibly lame. if they want to compete on a corporate level witht he iPhone, they're finding ways to shoot themselves in the foot.

Have you priced the cost to do similar with BES?

Juice

shantyman said:
Wrong.

Business plans have nothing to do with Exchange functionality, don't spread FUD whether you mean to or not. Business plans cost more for 2 reasons: corporate users consume more data than consumers on average and businesses are willing to pay it.

There is no middleman to use Exchange with the iPhone; if you have credentials for an Exchange server your phone can connect. There is no BES or NOC in Canada to worry about.

The Internet is still not sure.

MacWorld today just put out their iPhone 3G FAQ and they put their money on Exchange costing the extra $15 a month to use on AT&T's network based on statements made:

MacWorld said:
Do I need anything special to use the iPhone’s Exchange/ActiveSync functionality?

Yes, AT&T told us that those corporate e-mail features are intended for business users, which we took to mean you’ll need to pay the extra $15 a month for the corporate data plan over the regular data plan. Consumers have the option of getting similar functionality using Apple’s MobileMe.

Edit: posted without seeing yours above. Apology accepted! :p

Seriously, though. Does this mean I can use Exchange on my 2G unlimited plan for $20/month, but upgrading would cost me $45? Or are they suddenly going to demand I pony up $35 if I try to use it, even though my contract was for unlimited data without any stipulation about exchange one way or another (I presume)

Phoenix said:
Have you priced the cost to do similar with BES?

Of course, but what is the point of charging an additional $15/month so that users can use the same network connections to access their own Exchange servers? Seems a bit like they're trying to cash in.

I should note, if the story is true.

Phoenix

Eggo said:
Does anyone know if you can buy the 3G iPhone, get the $40 regular service per month fee and get the $20 Edge unlimited internet data plan without getting the $30 3G plan? Basically, I'd like the hardware upgrade (more space, GPS, flush headphone jack), but don't want the $10 more per month that 3G provides, since the extra cost doesn't seem worth it. I have wi-fi at home, and don't use my phone for directions/maps/browsing to the point I want to spend the extra cash.

No.

Phoenix

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Of course, but what is the point of charging an additional $15/month so that users can use the same network connections to access their own Exchange servers? Seems a bit like they're trying to cash in.

I should note, if the story is true.

Yes, AT&T is trying to cash in. All of the restrictions about not tethering, signing contract in the store, (potentially) not having SMS on the plan, etc. is about them trying to cash in as well. While Apple desired to give us a cheaper iPhone, it lead to AT&T being giving free reign to actively rape iPhone users the same as they rape other phone users.

Phoenix said:
Yes, AT&T is trying to cash in. All of the restrictions about not tethering, signing contract in the store, (potentially) not having SMS on the plan, etc. is about them trying to cash in as well. While Apple desired to give us a cheaper iPhone, it lead to AT&T being giving free reign to actively rape iPhone users the same as they rape other phone users.

True, I place the blame for this mostly on AT&T, but I think these actions will have an adverse effect on Apple trying to get the iPhone into the Corporate Market more. I suppose the data plans are about the same whether it's an iPhone, a Treo, or a Blackberry though.

I highly doubt that exchange will be disabled unless you pay for the corporate plan. The feature is part of the 2.0 firmware, unless apple has decided to remove that specific part for the iPod Touch, I'm going to call bullshit.

It'll just be up to you to figure out how to connect to your exchange server. AT&T apparently works directly with company IT departments to provision mobile phones through company IT departments instead of individuals. i.e. a business user that is part of a large company would receive their iphone from the IT department pre-configured for business use. Corporate plans of course cost more, but I don't think there is a way (or that apple would allow them) to prevent the use of VPN or Exchange e-mail connectivity for people with first gen iPhones or iPod Touches or even the new iPhone.

People have been testing exchange activesync with first gen iphones running the 2.0 firmware for months now. Where do you think Apple's 35% of the fortune 500 being part of the program came from? It is highly unlikely that they were given access to a 3G iPhone and there were no leaks from anywhere. Also, apple demonstrated the feature on a first gen iphone using 2.0 back in march.

what that site said "which we took to mean people wanting to use these features will need a corporate plan, which is an extra $15/mo" means that is how they interpreted AT&T's statement that Exchange is for corporate customers. In large part, this is true, but not everyone connecting to exchange will have a corporate plan, and Apple has full control of the software... it doesn't benefit them in any way to allow AT&T to block firmware features since they don't even get a cut of the monthly bills anymore.

In summation... I say Bullshit.

What started as a no brainer to upgrade to the new version has been clouded with doubt as new details continue to dribble out regarding the repercussions. First, they charge an additional $10 bucks a month for data. Second, the 200 text messages are now an extra five bucks. And now third, rumors have it there will be an additional charge to use Exchange Active Sync....

SuperPac

Oni Jazar said:
Question about the iPhone (old or new): Can it automatically download podcasts directly to the device overnight ala the PSP?

Old - no.
New - doesn't look like it. But there's the possibility that someone'll write an app that'll do that.

Wait, what, SMS is now not included? That's retarded. I'm not one who texts, as I send an average of 5 texts a month, sometimes I don't send any at all, but to pay extra is just retarded. I was happy with the 200 included because that more than covers my usage. So how much is it going to be to text if I don't get the $5 200 plan? God I hope that's not true. AT&T sure feels like they're nickel and diming me by raising the overall cost at least $15 now. I was ok with the $10 for 3G, but this is getting stupid.

Marty Chinn said:
Wait, what, SMS is now not included? That's retarded. I'm not one who texts, as I send an average of 5 texts a month, sometimes I don't send any at all, but to pay extra is just retarded. I was happy with the 200 included because that more than covers my usage. So how much is it going to be to text if I don't get the $5 200 plan? God I hope that's not true. AT&T sure feels like they're nickel and diming me by raising the overall cost at least $15 now. I was ok with the $10 for 3G, but this is getting stupid.

Yeah, 200 texts is about 150 more than I'll ever use, even in the most absurd of contexts.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Juice said:
Edit: posted without seeing yours above. Apology accepted! :p

Seriously, though. Does this mean I can use Exchange on my 2G unlimited plan for $20/month, but upgrading would cost me $45? Or are they suddenly going to demand I pony up $35 if I try to use it, even though my contract was for unlimited data without any stipulation about exchange one way or another (I presume)

I'll never discredit the Rock again.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Someone I know who is beta testing says Exchange support is just through https authentication and there is no way AT&T can block it on non business acouonts. I guess we'll see in a few weeks.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
SuperPac said:
Old - no.
New - doesn't look like it. But there's the possibility that someone'll write an app that'll do that.
That would require the ability to run the app in the background though, to know when to wake itself and start downloading. And Apple's proposed notification service isn't going to solve that either, from the sound of it.

shantyman said:
Someone I know who is beta testing says Exchange support is just through https authentication and there is no way AT&T can block it on non business acouonts. I guess we'll see in a few weeks.
https for email, contacts and scheduling? That doesn't sound right.

EDIT: I guess it does.

In any case, Macworld's "we took this to mean" wasn't exactly confirmation one way or another in the first place.

SickBoy

I didn't see it anywhere in the thread, but according to an alleged "leak" at ehmac.ca's forums, Rogers' pricing is data for $30 on top of existing plans. If that's the case, I'm so in.

In the big picture, that'll mean $60 (for the plan I need plus data), plus their lameass system access fee and tax. And I guess maybe $6 for voicemail too. Still, about what I had hoped for even though it's much more than I spend for my cell right now. I think I've officially entered techno-whore land.

http://www.ehmac.ca/ipod-itunes-iph...ctivation-data-plans-sign-up-process-etc.html

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
SickBoy said:
I didn't see it anywhere in the thread, but according to an alleged "leak" at ehmac.ca's forums, Rogers' pricing is data for $30 on top of existing plans. If that's the case, I'm so in.

In the big picture, that'll mean $60 (for the plan I need plus data), plus their lameass system access fee and tax. And I guess maybe $6 for voicemail too. Still, about what I had hoped for even though it's much more than I spend for my cell right now. I think I've officially entered techno-whore land.

http://www.ehmac.ca/ipod-itunes-iph...ctivation-data-plans-sign-up-process-etc.html

i'm so in too, that price is awesome

SickBoy

Damn double post... anyhow, I did the math and became slightly less enthusiastic... if accurate, I think that means for any decent plan you're looking at:

$30 voice
$12 voice features (voicemail call waiting)
$30 data
$8 in stupid fees

Totalling $80 a month. Not great, but it sounds plausible. If it's true, I might just get a cheap incoming plan. Or I might avoid it altogether, although every geek fibre in my body tells me that's the wrong solution :) Still, it's just murmurs right now. It's probably pretty solid pricing for Canada, but to me it still seems kinda expensive. Then again, I currently pay slightly more than $20 a month for my cellphone.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
with how ridiculous data pricing is in canada, $30 is incredible

my friend used an imported phone on rogers $7 unlimited data and got away with it... i told him to slow down his usage before he gets billed... so he did and still got a nice $600 phone bill

i haven't had a cellphone in like 5 years, but i paid like $50/mo for my fido when i did (it was when all the phones were black and white text only :p) so i'm excited to get an iphone as i love my touch

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Got a tech question. For some reason, my iPhone shows up as having all "orange" other data when I plug it into iTunes, and it won't sync. Is a restore in order, or is something else up?

mYm|17|

For people who already have an iPhone or plan on getting one, what kind of cases do you have?

Was just curious because I wanted to get one when I get the new iPhone.

I've got an unlocked iPhone running 1.1.2 on T-Mobile and I haven't updated in a while. What's the simplest way to update to the latest firmware?

SickBoy said:
Totalling $80 a month. Not great, but it sounds plausible. If it's true, I might just get a cheap incoming plan. Or I might avoid it altogether, although every geek fibre in my body tells me that's the wrong solution :) Still, it's just murmurs right now. It's probably pretty solid pricing for Canada, but to me it still seems kinda expensive. Then again, I currently pay slightly more than $20 a month for my cellphone.

That's ridiculously cheap compared to typical Rogers plan fees. In fact, I would seriously doubt the information until it's official; there were some threads on howardforums and elsewhere to indicate it may have just been an altered AT&T doc. Somebody else had a claimed leak with numbers - while ridiculous compared to US rates - seemed much more in line with Rogers plans historically.

Of course, I have to pay 80+ a month without data.

I miss Sprint. Sort of. bleh.

shantyman said:
It's on AT&T's part though.

At the end of the day it's Apple. Their name is on the product.

And this is really turning into bullshit. I'm sticking with my iPhone until the market sorts this mess out.

I'm still hoping that this isn't the final plan as I could really use the GPS features on my motorcycle trips.

Vyer

krypt0nian said:

I don't think all these extra fees are all on Apple's shoulders. it doesn't make sense 'at the end of the day' to decide to give ATT a pass.

Looks like dealing with the ATT subsidy comes at a price. :(

I just wish we could get some firm details.

Vyer said:
I don't think all these extra fees are all on Apple's shoulders. it doesn't make sense 'at the end of the day' to decide to give ATT a pass.

Looks like dealing with the ATT subsidy comes at a price. :(

I just wish we could get some firm details.

AT&T was always scummy. They don't get a pass. But its Apple's iPhone. I'm certain any other carrier would bend over backwards for it.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
krypt0nian said:

And this is really turning into bullshit. I'm sticking with my iPhone until the market sorts this mess out.

I'm still hoping that this isn't the final plan as I could really use the GPS features on my motorcycle trips.

Is Apple a part to this? Sure, but AT&T is the primary reason for this. Juyt ask RIM, Nokia, et al.

krypt0nian said:
AT&T was always scummy. They don't get a pass. But its Apple's iPhone. I'm certain any other carrier would bend over backwards for it.

That is where you are wrong. Apple tried valiantly to change the wireless Telcos, and lost. AT&T was the only carrier willing to do bsuiness with Apple in the first place. AT&T did bend over for Apple, then Apple realized their way ($400-$600 phones) would not build marketshare. Hence, subsidized phones and no special rate plans.

So they dealt with the devil for marketshare and this is what they get?

They chose to do the deal. I'm usually in Apple's corner but there is no excuse here.

AT&T may have been the only Telco at the time, but now anyone would love to have them I'm certain.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
krypt0nian said:

They chose to do the deal. I'm usually in Apple's corner but there is no excuse here.

AT&T may have been the only Telco at the time, but now anyone would love to have them I'm certain.
I'm not really defending Apple, it's just the reality of the wireless biz. I understand why a company wants to build marketshare.

What I am giving Apple a pass on is (and what I was referring to when you quoted me) is requiring the business plan for Exchange connectivity (if that actually comes to pass). That's all AT&T.

Vyer

krypt0nian said:

Yeah, but they are still under contract, right? Going somewhere else isn't really an option.

Not to mention people angry over extra fees is nothing compared to current iPhone users angry over them suddenly switching carriers.

Not saying apple is totally blameless, but still not as simple as 'all on them' either.

Vyer said:
Yeah, but they are still under contract, right? Going somewhere else isn't really an option.

Not to mention people angry over extra fees is nothing compared to current iPhone users angry over them suddenly switching carriers.

Not saying apple is totally blameless, but still not as simple as 'all on them' either.

Never said its all on them. But they should have had measures in place contractually to prevent random assrape.

The last thing they need for brand image is this nonsense.

krypt0nian said:
Absolutely. But AT&T bit first and trapped them in a five-year contract.

You're right to not immediately assume Apple isn't responsible for the shitty parts, but they really are the good guys in this situation (other than the App Store, depending on your point of view on it).

The whole cell phone market fucking sucks, and it fucking sucks more that broadband companies are starting to emulate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom