• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juice

eXxy said:
Got a tech question. For some reason, my iPhone shows up as having all "orange" other data when I plug it into iTunes, and it won't sync. Is a restore in order, or is something else up?

If it isn't jailbroken, I'd suspect that some internal app got knocked out of whack and is logging an assload of errors that aren't being rotated. Around Leopard launch, I was bleeding 10GB/day because Samba was logging hundreds of errors every minute. Similar dumps could be filling space on the iPhone. /shot-in-the-dark

You've probably just got a jailbroken phone with a ton of apps that either pull or use a lot of storage.

A restore should clear it out, but what's odd is that I did a restore on my jailbroken phone, updated to a newer firmware, then re-jailbroke, and a lot of the homebrew apps still had all of my local data.... pretty shady.

Juice

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Absolutely. But AT&T bit first and trapped them in a five-year contract.

You're right to not immediately assume Apple isn't responsible for the shitty parts, but they really are the good guys in this situation (other than the App Store, depending on your point of view on it).

The whole cell phone market fucking sucks, and it fucking sucks more that broadband companies are starting to emulate them.

I do think it's pretty amazing that if my wife and I both had 3G plans, we'd be paying 2.5x more money on wireless data than our consistent and reliable 3MB/s cable broadband. That doesn't cut us off when we share more than 5GB/month.

Sean

Banned
Can we have the thread title renamed (the "Plans announced Post #1001" part)? It's been a whole damn year now....

Juice

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I suggest "Samsung Instinct: Holy shit, the new SamPhone is out?!"

If it turns out you need to pay for the $45 plan just to use Exchange, I think counting the fact that SMS isn't included, something pointing to the $30/mo increase over the EDGE phones would be appropriate.

Hey, so is it weird for "other" on my iPhone to take up 205mb? There a way to find out what the hell that stuff is and/or how to get rid of it?

Terrell

Wow, telcos are really dropping the ball with their July 11th launches. Softbank in Japan still hasn't announced ANYTHING about the phone, including the price in yen. And Canada? Well, we're still waiting for Rogers to give us data plan costs, trying to keep their dirty little secret from the public as long as they can.
Unless you got a load of bad news, these companies playing so close to the vest is only deflating interest. Which is especially dangerous in Canada, since there are rumors that the spectrum auction has already finished and we'll have a new GSM carrier announcing their presence in Canada before the iPhone 3G launch.

SuperPac

Terrell said:
Wow, telcos are really dropping the ball with their July 11th launches. Softbank in Japan still hasn't announced ANYTHING about the phone, including the price in yen. And Canada? Well, we're still waiting for Rogers to give us data plan costs, trying to keep their dirty little secret from the public as long as they can.

Honestly, this is no different than what happened last year. AT&T announced the plans last year on 6/26, and the phone came out on 6/29.

Unless you got a load of bad news, these companies playing so close to the vest is only deflating interest.

Seriously? I think interest is still gonna be very high in all the territories it's launching in whether they announce the exact plans tomorrow or on 7/9.

SuperPac

Softbank has announced the initial pricing for the iPhone in Japan.

Softbank announces Japan prices for iPhone

TOKYO (AP) -- Softbank, the carrier that won the coveted right to sell the iPhone in Japan, said Monday it will sell for 23,040 yen -- comparable to the marked down U.S. price for the hit gadget.

Japan will be among the overseas nations awaiting the global rollout of a new version of the iPhone promised for July 11. That will mark the iPhone's debut in this nation reputed as loving gadgets, including Apple products such as the iPod portable digital-music player.

Tokyo-based Softbank Corp., Japan's No. 3 mobile phone company, said people will get a discount in their mobile phone bills that will calculate to their paying 23,040 yen for Apple Inc.'s iPhone over two years.

Whether the announced price will be seen as a discount by Japanese gadget fans is still unclear.

For years, some mobile phones were practically given away for free as carriers were eager to win market share and earn revenue through phone fees.

But recently, as the market here saturates, mobile phones have gone up in price, and the more sophisticated ones can cost about 50,000 yen. Cheaper models are still also available.

Softbank spokesman Daisuke Muranaga said the iPhone Japan price was comparable to other high-end mobile phones at the carrier.

Apple has given the U.S. price at US$199 for the 8-gigabyte iPhone and US$299 for the 16-gigabyte version. Analysts say that compares favorably to rival products.

In Japan, the 16-gigabyte version will cost 34,560 yen, although consumers won't be buying the phone outright but with the payment being combined with discounts for the fees.

Apple says it has sold about 6 million iPhones so far this year, and has a goal of selling 10 million.

The new iPhone is going on sale in more than 20 countries, including Australia, United Kingdom, Germany, Canada and Hong Kong.

Softbank has been on aggressive push to gain market share from rivals NTT DoCoMo and KDDI Corp. by slashing prices and airing catchy ads as those starring Cameron Diaz. Signing with Apple on the iPhone is a major coup for Softbank.

Japan has long had high-speed Internet-connecting mobile phones, which give restaurant searches, e-mail, electronic shopping, novel and comic book downloads and other services.

Nearly all Japanese mobile phones come with digital cameras, which can also take short video clips. The latest ones also have digital TV broadcast reception, which the iPhone will not have.

cvxfreak

Lame that the iPhone in Japan won't work with 1-Seg, although I'm sure many Japanese would put up with an add-on. Let's hope the iPhone eventually can be used to pay for train rides, scan ubiquitous information bar codes, etc...

Price-wise, I think it's actually quite good since Japanese prices are supposed to include tax.

cvxfreak

Wow, I think that's a really good deal for unlimited data considering the method of paying for the phone.

I wish the iPhone came out in Japan last year. I'll be able to use the 3G, but after I return to the U.S. next month. :(

Chorazin

Man, the lack of picture and video messaging on the iPhone is going to make a lot of Japanese shy away from it since that is pretty popular there. I have no idea why Apple STILL hasn't added ubiquitous feature among all other cellphones.

cvxfreak

Chorazin said:
Man, the lack of picture and video messaging on the iPhone is going to make a lot of Japanese shy away from it since that is pretty popular there. I have no idea why Apple STILL hasn't added ubiquitous feature among all other cellphones.

I think the iPhone can find a niche in Japan, particularly among those who value the thing's interface. However, given the noticeable preference for a sheer amount of features and for sturdiness, not to mention a removable battery, I can't imagine the iPhone becoming iconic in Japan as it has the potential to in the U.S.

Terrell

cvxfreak said:
Lame that the iPhone in Japan won't work with 1-Seg, although I'm sure many Japanese would put up with an add-on. Let's hope the iPhone eventually can be used to pay for train rides, scan ubiquitous information bar codes, etc...

Price-wise, I think it's actually quite good since Japanese prices are supposed to include tax.
Yeah, price-wise, I guess it's on par with North American pricing.
I'd think that more people would be disappointed with not being able to use osaifu-keitai, unless Apple has managed to sneak a FeliCa chip inside the phone without us knowing it (wouldn't that be an interesting region-specific "one more thing"...)
I'm going to be interested to see how this plays out over there. There seems to be only tepid interest in it right now, but if other developers get on board to provide things on the App Store, like Square Enix and Capcom and such, I could see interest for the phone balloon in a hurry.

Enzom21

usirius1.png
usirius2.png

http://www.millardsoftware.com/content/usirius-iphone-edition-beta-v50

Phoenix

Robobandit said:
I highly doubt that exchange will be disabled unless you pay for the corporate plan. The feature is part of the 2.0 firmware, unless apple has decided to remove that specific part for the iPod Touch, I'm going to call bullshit.

AT&T will just block the ports on the non-provisioned devices. The key of course being to VPN first, then AT&T can't do jack.

$h@d0w

O2 UK released the pay as you go pricing:

The new 3G 8GB iPhone for Pay & Go will be available for £299.99 and 16GB for £359.99. This also includes unlimited browsing and Wi-Fi for the first 6 months after you activate your iPhone*.

At the end of the six months you can continue to receive unlimited browsing and Wi-Fi for just £10 per month. We'll notify you at the end of the six month period by text and you can easily unsubscribe if you choose to do so.

You'll also be able to choose one of our standard Pay & Go tariffs to use with your iPhone. The more you top-up each month, the more free minutes or texts you'll receive.

* This offer is applicable to all new and upgrading customers who purchase an iPhone on Pay & Go until Dec 31st 2008. Unlimited data and Wi-Fi applies to use in the UK only, subject to excessive usage policy. Unlimited Wi-Fi is available at any of the 9,500 Wi-Fi hotspots from our partners The Cloud or BT Openzone.

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paygo

broony

Hello

Sorry to hijack a little but I need some help.

I am going to get a new gen IPhone next month and have a few questions.

1/ My friend has a first gen IPhone and I was impressed with the google maps thing, especially that it could triangulate your position after a few seconds. The new one is billed as having GPS. Is this real GPS so you could use it as a Sat Nav in the car or is it the same feature the last version had which is cool but would not really be usable when driving.

2/ How hard is it to get hold of apps and what is and isn't legal. I have heard of someone installing TomTom software on an IPhone and having all the features, is this bullshit/possible, legal/illegal, worthwhile/waste of time.

3/ (Not really IPhone related) I do quite a bit of sea fishing, is there any software that would run on IPhone and hopefully make use of the GPS that details sea depths/features.

Any answers would be appreciated, but if you can just point me in the direction of an IPhone tech / App site that would be just as cool.

P.S. I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

$h@d0w said:
O2 UK released the pay as you go pricing:

The new 3G 8GB iPhone for Pay & Go will be available for £299.99 and 16GB for £359.99. This also includes unlimited browsing and Wi-Fi for the first 6 months after you activate your iPhone*.

At the end of the six months you can continue to receive unlimited browsing and Wi-Fi for just £10 per month. We'll notify you at the end of the six month period by text and you can easily unsubscribe if you choose to do so.

You'll also be able to choose one of our standard Pay & Go tariffs to use with your iPhone. The more you top-up each month, the more free minutes or texts you'll receive.

* This offer is applicable to all new and upgrading customers who purchase an iPhone on Pay & Go until Dec 31st 2008. Unlimited data and Wi-Fi applies to use in the UK only, subject to excessive usage policy. Unlimited Wi-Fi is available at any of the 9,500 Wi-Fi hotspots from our partners The Cloud or BT Openzone.

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paygo
When they mention unlimited browsing, they mean 3G right? I've had a PAYG phone for ages and only used the data stuff when I first got it, as I had some free time then, also browsing on my crappy screen with keys, not so fun, so I'm out of the loop on browsing charges.

£360 isn't too bad, especially with the 6 months free browsing, much better than a contract (as I'll browse with it a lot more than I'll call with it) and £10 for data isn't too bad I guess, I'd use the 6 months free to see how much I'd use it on the train, home and work I can use the Wifi.

I think my only concern right now is if there will be some way to do custom ringtones on the iPhone 2. I'm under the belief that you need to jailbreak the current iPhone to get such functionality. Is that correct?

Enzom21

Marty Chinn said:
I think my only concern right now is if there will be some way to do custom ringtones on the iPhone 2. I'm under the belief that you need to jailbreak the current iPhone to get such functionality. Is that correct?
No you can use your own free ringtones, you can even use iTunes to create them. The phone does not need to be jailbroken.

$h@d0w

Darkflight said:
When they mention unlimited browsing, they mean 3G right? I've had a PAYG phone for ages and only used the data stuff when I first got it, as I had some free time then, also browsing on my crappy screen with keys, not so fun, so I'm out of the loop on browsing charges.

£360 isn't too bad, especially with the 6 months free browsing, much better than a contract (as I'll browse with it a lot more than I'll call with it) and £10 for data isn't too bad I guess, I'd use the 6 months free to see how much I'd use it on the train, home and work I can use the Wifi.

I think browsing is 3G and WiFi means access to Cloud points.

Perfect for me too, I'm going for the white 16GB on day one.

Okay, I realize this may be a dumb question (since it's not available yet), but:

Do we have any idea how easy to jailbreak/unlock the 2.0 firmware is going to be? I'm going to be picking up my friend's old phone when he picks up his new phone, and I'm planning on using it on T-Mobile. Or am I better off just using the old firmware and jailbreak apps? I don't really know what's out there in that department.

enzom21 said:
No you can use your own free ringtones, you can even use iTunes to create them. The phone does not need to be jailbroken.

I was under the impression that you could only purchase ringtones from iTunes and it was based on songs that were sold through the store. Did that change because I know that's how it was at one point. When did they start allowing you to create your own without any questions?

Edit:

Ya, this is what Apple says:

Custom Ringtones
Create your unique ringtone from more than half a million songs on the iTunes Store. Buy a song for 99¢. Turn it into a custom ringtone for another 99¢. At $1.98, that’s still less than most ringtones sold elsewhere. The ringtone is entirely your creation. And the song is yours to keep.

Dilbert

Marty Chinn said:
I was under the impression that you could only purchase ringtones from iTunes and it was based on songs that were sold through the store. Did that change because I know that's how it was at one point. When did they start allowing you to create your own without any questions?
From a Mac perspective, they enabled the ability to create ringtones in Garageband and send them to iPhone a while ago. Once you make the loop, all you have to do is right-click and choose "Send to iPhone as Ringtone" -- it's that simple.

From a Windows perspective, they pretty much stopped fighting the "hack" to get .m4r files onto the phone.

-jinx- said:
From a Mac perspective, they enabled the ability to create ringtones in Garageband and send them to iPhone a while ago. Once you make the loop, all you have to do is right-click and choose "Send to iPhone as Ringtone" -- it's that simple.

From a Windows perspective, they pretty much stopped fighting the "hack" to get .m4r files onto the phone.

What's the "hack" from a Windows perspective? I'm assuming this won't change for the new iPhone right?

Enzom21

Marty Chinn said:
What's the "hack" from a Windows perspective? I'm assuming this won't change for the new iPhone right?
There is no "hack" for windows, you can use any mp3 as long as it is 39 seconds or shorter. You use iTunes to convert it to the proper format. Custom ringtones work on firmware 2.0 so I would imagine they will work on the new iPhone.

I need some help getting out of a Verizon contract. I just renewed my contract in April, because I wasn't interested in the iPhone because it didn't have 3G. Now it's got 3G and I am regretting renewing my Verizon contract. Is their any sure-fire way to get out with out paying cancellation. If that isn't possible is their a way I can get AT&T to waive some fees in order to help me transfer to their service if I tell them I am coming over from Verizon.

I really want the iPhone 3G.

arab

Marty Chinn said:

Edit:

Ya, this is what Apple says:

Custom Ringtones
Create your unique ringtone from more than half a million songs on the iTunes Store. Buy a song for 99¢. Turn it into a custom ringtone for another 99¢. At $1.98, that’s still less than most ringtones sold elsewhere. The ringtone is entirely your creation. And the song is yours to keep.

that's if you bought the song on itunes. if you ripped it or something along those lines, use audacity to select the portion of the song you want, export selection as mp3, then open that mp3 in itunes, convert it to m4a. locate that file in windows explorer and change extension from .m4a to .m4r. then double click on the .m4r and you have a ringtone.

snack said:
I need some help getting out of a Verizon contract. I just renewed my contract in April, because I wasn't interested in the iPhone because it didn't have 3G. Now it's got 3G and I am regretting renewing my Verizon contract. Is their any sure-fire way to get out with out paying cancellation. If that isn't possible is their a way I can get AT&T to waive some fees in order to help me transfer to their service if I tell them I am coming over from Verizon.

I really want the iPhone 3G.

Unless you can come up with a good excuse, pay the cancellation fee.

broony said:
Hello

Sorry to hijack a little but I need some help.

I am going to get a new gen IPhone next month and have a few questions.

1/ My friend has a first gen IPhone and I was impressed with the google maps thing, especially that it could triangulate your position after a few seconds. The new one is billed as having GPS. Is this real GPS so you could use it as a Sat Nav in the car or is it the same feature the last version had which is cool but would not really be usable when driving.

2/ How hard is it to get hold of apps and what is and isn't legal. I have heard of someone installing TomTom software on an IPhone and having all the features, is this bullshit/possible, legal/illegal, worthwhile/waste of time.

3/ (Not really IPhone related) I do quite a bit of sea fishing, is there any software that would run on IPhone and hopefully make use of the GPS that details sea depths/features.

Any answers would be appreciated, but if you can just point me in the direction of an IPhone tech / App site that would be just as cool.

P.S. I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

1. not sure how the gps works, but im assuming it's like a nav gps. on my gen1 iphone it works pretty well. does what i need it to do and helps me not get lost any more. doesn't have turn by turn, but it works so cant complain too much.

2. once you jailbreak you're phone, it installs an app called installer. that's where you get all the custom apps from, at least until the official app store comes out. it's not illegal and some are worthwhile, specifically swirlymms (allows you to send/receive mms msg's).

3. it's possible if someone writes an app to do it and releases it. don't know how big of a market it is for that kinda thing, but you can try to make that program if you want. download the SDK and go at it lol.

Phoenix

About iTunes
iTunes is the best way to enjoy your digital music and video with your Mac, iPod, iPhone and Apple TV.

Use iTunes to import CDs or download songs and videos from the iTunes Store. Make playlists perfect for any occasion. Burn playlists to CDs and play them on your home stereo. Sync your media with iPod or iPhone to enjoy it on the go, or play your collection on your TV with Apple TV.

What's new in iTunes 7.7
Use iTunes 7.7 to sync music, video, and more with iPhone 3G, and download applications from the iTunes Store exclusively designed for iPhone and iPod touch with software version 2.0 or later. Also use the new Remote application for iPhone or iPod touch to control iTunes playback from anywhere in your home — a free download from the App Store. 

System requirements
iTunes 7.7 requires a Macintosh with a PowerPC G3, G4, G5, or Intel Core processor, at least 256MB of RAM, Mac OS X version 10.3.9 or 10.4.9 or later. To use iPhone with iTunes, Mac OS X version 10.4.10 or later is required.

To use the iTunes Store, QuickTime version 7.4.5 or later is required. To play purchased videos from the iTunes Store, iTunes 7.7 requires a Macintosh with a 1GHz G4 processor, and at least 16MB of video RAM.

Syncing purchased movies, increased-quality TV shows, music videos, and iPod Games requires an iPod nano (third generation), iPod classic, or iPod (fifth generation) with software version 1.2 or later. Some iPod Games may not be compatible with iPod nano (third generation) and iPod classic. Syncing ringtones requires an iPhone with software version 1.1 or later.

Purchasing from the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store using iPhone requires iPhone software version 1.1.1 or later.

Renting or purchasing from the iTunes Store using Apple TV requires Apple TV software version 2.0 or later. Transferring rented movies requires an iPod nano (third generation) and iPod classic with software version 1.1 or later or iPod touch and iPhone with software version 1.1.3 or later. HD movies from the iTunes Store are designed exclusively for Apple TV and may not be transferred to iTunes.

Nike + iPod requires the Nike + iPod Sport Kit, an iPod nano with software version 1.2 or later, and Nike+ ready shoes. To see your workout data on nikeplus.com, you must have an Internet connection and a free Nike.com account. For more information, visit www.apple.com/nikeplus.

AirPort Express with AirTunes requires an AirPort or AirPort Extreme Card and a compatible stereo system or powered speakers. Playing your music with one or more AirPort Express Base Stations requires AirPort Express Firmware 6.3 or later. Some ISPs may not be compatible with AirPort Express. For more information, visit www.apple.com/airportexpress.

Make sure you have the latest updates of Mac OS X, QuickTime, and iLife. To get the latest updates, chose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Software Update, and then click Check Now. After you install an update, it's a good idea to click Check Now again to make sure you have all the latest versions. To get the latest upgrade to Mac OS X, visit www.apple.com/macosx.

To create audio, MP3, or backup CDs with iTunes, your Mac must have an Apple combo drive or SuperDrive. To back up your library to a DVD, your Mac must have an Apple SuperDrive. Some non-Apple CD-RW and DVD-RW drives may also work.

Some bits and pieces...

Juice

Phoenix said:
Some bits and pieces...

In order for that remote to match the awesome of Remote Buddy or iSignal's AJAX implementations, it had better let you control whether it goes through AirTunes (specifically, Apple TV)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
bdizzle said:
swirlymms 1.0 released. It should be in installer right now. It's $8, with a 14 day trial. I'll use the trial until the app store comes out. If there's not a native app day 1, I'll just purchase it.

http://blog.swirlyspace.com/#home
Please give impressions!
Would sending MMS with this app count against internet usage or what?
I don't have a text messaging plan and standard SMS costs 10 cents per.

Enzom21

dallow_bg said:
Please give impressions!
You need to have MMS enabled if you are using At&t, otherwise it will not work.

dallow_bg said:
Please give impressions!

No, it would go against you're regular MMS (pic, vid, etc) allotment. So far the app is well....umm....well it works, lol. It's better than the old app, but it doesn't seem very professional and polished. Sure it's only $8, but it still seems kinda bootleg for a commercial app. The UI could definately use some work.

It treats MMS messages like an inbox, which is pretty cool. It also has a auto-fetch feature so you can automatically find your MMS settings.

I'll wait to see what apple has in store when 2.0 drops, if not I'm ponying up $8

SickBoy

Canadian plans unveiled. Meh. I suspect that $60 doesn't include the dreaded system access fee, 911 fee or "thank you for being our customer" fee.

And data's limited.

And call display's an extra.

If they had let you add $30 data onto any plan, I could have gotten unlimited incoming, but doesn't look like even an option here. Boo urns. Still not sure what I'm going to do :)

I think the positive is free access to hotspots, which is kinda cool.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/iphone_voice_data_packages

SickBoy said:
Canadian plans unveiled. Meh. I suspect that $60 doesn't include the dreaded system access fee, 911 fee or "thank you for being our customer" fee.

And data's limited.

Don't forget the sales tax! (add 7-13% or so based on your province) The government wants their thank you too! And of course, all of the useful features are twenty or thirty dollar add-on packs (The 30 dollar one does let you drop the evening trigger to 6pm...)

You know, I haven't looked at the billing in awhile. 911 fee is only 50c, but the system access fee is 6.95. And I have to pay 15 bucks in international LD reductions. And yet I'm still probably going to end up with the 750MB ($75) or 1GB ($100) plan, since it basically blows the shit out of my no data, 100/1000min plan.

Gotta love those overage charges, btw. 50c/MB for the first 60MB over the line.

I sort of agree about the hotspots, but the problem as always is coverage. I mean, Bell has the Starbucks contract, so we're screwed there. Looking at the hotspot PDF, it looks like Toronto has about 90-95% of all Rogers eligible hotspots, and the numbers are tiny compared to most american cities I can think of.

DGaio

Anyone knows whats the deal with Vodafone Europe plans? How much per month etc. I've tried to search a bit but found very little, just wondering if anyone has any info. Thank you guys /wuv

Battlezone said:
Okay, I realize this may be a dumb question (since it's not available yet), but:

Do we have any idea how easy to jailbreak/unlock the 2.0 firmware is going to be? I'm going to be picking up my friend's old phone when he picks up his new phone, and I'm planning on using it on T-Mobile. Or am I better off just using the old firmware and jailbreak apps? I don't really know what's out there in that department.

I think the App store is going to make jailbreaking a moot point - unless the reigns are too tight for devs to get things on the store. I just hope there is a way to load apps outside of the store (or 'import app for install') because I'm sure certain apps like the Sirius radio one would not be allowed because of trademark issues.

Terrell

SickBoy said:

And data's limited.

If they had let you add $30 data onto any plan, I could have gotten unlimited incoming, but doesn't look like even an option here. Boo urns. Still not sure what I'm going to do :)

I think the positive is free access to hotspots, which is kinda cool.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/iphone_voice_data_packages
So only Telia in Sweden and T-Mobile in Germany suck as bad or worse than Rogers in Canada. How sad.
We can only pray that Rogers doesn't have exclusivity to the iPhone and that the spectrum auction yields a new carrier for Canada by year's end. For those who weren't keeping up, the leading national contender is Globalive, the company that owns the dial-around long distance service Yak. And from their press releases, if they get a Canada roaming contract by having licenses in every province, they're our new national carrier, they'll implement in GSM, and they're gunning to stick it to Rogers and Fido HARDCORE.

SickBoy

Word is that Telus is moving into GSM, but obviously there's a lot of infrastructure involved, so that wouldn't be until late 2009 at best. But by the time they do (if they do), the landscape of mobile devices is going to look a whole lot different, so presumably something will have to give with pricing.

I'm sort of in the market for a phone regardless of the iPhone, so I'm really strongly considering the HTC Touch, even though it's obviously not nearly the sexy machine the iPhone is. I like the idea of mobile internet use, and at $7 a month, it's a great deal.

One thing that baffles me about the Rogers plans is the lack of customizability. I might be a little more likely to consider it if I could get unlimited incoming at $60 (essentially $30 incoming plan + $30 data)... I did the math on my way home tonight and I will save at least $1,000 over three years if I go with the Bell's Touch... which has me seriously considering the HTC Touch and maybe an iPod Touch somewhere down the line. I'd rather have just one sexy device, but I do like money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom