• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Pimpwerx said:
After a few weeks with my 3G phone, it's a mixed bag.

Pros
- Amazing browser. Can't say enough about it.
- Cydia rocks. App store ain't so bad either. A wealth of great, free apps.
- Nice screen. Touchscreen isn't as good as I hoped, but still great.
- iTunes...wait, what? Yeah, I found workarounds to do the same things MediaMonkey could. I still wish I wasn't forced to use it though.

Cons
- Awful battery life. I browse a lot, and with WiFi and 3G it's dead in hours. With both disabled, battery life is much better, but I'm used to days of standby with my Sony-Ericsson.
- Mic is crap. It's just not as loud as other phone mics. I can barely hear my gf sometimes.
- The speaker is awful too.
- Wallpaper? Ringtones? MMS? WTF? Yeah, kinda castrated with pretty basic shit IMO. Pwned that mofo to get it right. Still no MMS though. :(
- No synching of calendar with Windows Calendar. Fuck you pos.

Great phone, but I'm itching to see what the next generation offers. I'm also looking forward to the Xperia now. I hope future firmware updates fix some of the problems. It's really a love/hate relationship thanks to some omissions. PEACE.

Um, all of those cons and you don't mention the most obvious ones? I don't know about everyone else, but I basically feel like I'm using a Windows Mobile device. Performance is fine to start, then degrades horribly over time. The phone becomes virtually unresponsive doing a lot of things, most notably in typing (I'm guessing this is related to it doing a lookup of things I have already typed in? It seems to be at its worst when I'm first typing). Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying using my phone, but I find it hard to recommend it to anyone who isn't a gadget freak and will enjoy all the fun little things it can do. For everday usage it is a frustrating experience.

Nick

SonnyBoy said:
It's that bad, really? :lol
In the time it took for me to respond to this post, my iPhone crashed, my keyboard lagged so much that I was literally typing out my words three times faster than the phone, and I currently have no cell phone reception in one of the most popular neighborhoods in San Francisco.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I can't believe how much Safari is crashing on me today.

It's almost unusable.
For no reason too.

Even the GAF webapp on little threads with no pics. I'll just be reading long after the page has loaded and 'blink' it's back to the home screen.

Macam

Banned
I assume I'm not the only one who has had this problem: Nonstop dropped calls after a few seconds or failed calls. The problem just started yesterday but I haven't installed anything new since last week and I have all of 3 or 4 applications on here. I took out the SIM card for a bit and powered it off and back on, but so far, the problem is still around. I'll dig around for suggestions, but if anyone has had this problem and knows what the solution may be, your help is appreciated in advance.

Tobor

Firestorm said:
Were the new features not talked about at all during the conference? Is it just bug fixes?

Presumably, yes. That's really what Apple should be focused on now anyway.

Nick said:
Is Steve Jobs' semen salty or sweet?

If not wanting to listen to you and TTOB's constant whining and bickering means I'm an Apple shill, then sign me up.

Macam said:
I assume I'm not the only one who has had this problem: Nonstop dropped calls after a few seconds or failed calls. The problem just started yesterday but I haven't installed anything new since last week and I have all of 3 or 4 applications on here. I took out the SIM card for a bit and powered it off and back on, but so far, the problem is still around. I'll dig around for suggestions, but if anyone has had this problem and knows what the solution may be, your help is appreciated in advance.

My girlfriend's phone and mine have been dropping calls like mad since we got the things. I think it's due to AT&T's service because my last Sony phone did the same thing (but not as bad.)

DarkJC

Nick said:
In the time it took for me to respond to this post, my iPhone crashed, my keyboard lagged so much that I was literally typing out my words three times faster than the phone, and I currently have no cell phone reception in one of the most popular neighborhoods in San Francisco.

:lol Ouch.

castle007

Banned
I am trying to update my iphone to 2.0 and it is telling me that version 1.1.4 is the current one. what the hell?

I have the newest iTunes

LCfiner

SnakeswithLasers said:
what the lame...?

The Nike dongle that communicates with the sensor is not built into the old touch or the iphone.

there's actual hardware that is new to the iPod touch 2.0.

perhaps Apple will allow the existing dongle to attach to old touches and iPhones and work with them?

LCfiner said:
The Nike dongle that communicates with the sensor is not built into the old touch or the iphone.

perhaps Apple will allow the existing dongle to attach to old touches and iPhones and work with them?

Great, well, we know what next years iPhone update will be:

iPhone: Cut and paste, Nike+ Edition!

Coming 2010: FLASH!

Pimpwerx

Kung Fu Jedi said:
-Battery life is awful on all 3G phones. Nature of the beast right now, and we all knew it last year when Apple introduced the phone without 3G. GPS doesn't help either.

-Not sure I understand. Mic is poor so you can't hear your GF? Huh? For the record, I've yet to have anyone complain about not being able to hear me. Maybe you got a bad phone?

- How is the speaker bad?? When using as a normal phone? When using it as a speaker phone? Listening to music? The only time I've noticed it being especially bad was with music, which I'm not surprised about.

-You can add any image you want to be your home screen wallpaper. If you're talking about desktop image, than, Yeah, I suppose, although an image behind all my app icon is really not that interesting to me.

- Ringtones? What are you going on about? It's super easy to make any mp3 file into a ringtone. I do it all the time.

- No MMS? Yeah, yeah, we've been beating that dead horse for a year. You shouldn't be surprised about that one.

-Sync with Windows Calendar. What app is that?? Something different from the Calendar included in Outlook? Syncs fine with Outlook, it's contacts, and it's calendar. The one most people use.
Ringtones are easy to make if you buy music with iTunes. I don't, so I have to use the workaround with the file rename. It's not an issue since I only change ringtones once every few months. No tougher than using mp3trim, but still more of a hassle than it needs to be. My other phones let me use any mp3 I had.

Windows Calendar comes standard with Vista. Outlook is a pos. I use OpenOffice. I have multiple copies of Office sitting around that I'll never use again. So I prefer to keep Outlook's bloat off my HDD. Windows Mail synchs with the iPhone, so I don't understand why Calendar doesn't. Actually, I do know why, it's so we buy mobileme. But I'm not faling for that shit.

It wouldn't be so bad if there was an export function for the iPhone calendar. If there is, can someone point me in the direction of a good app for that? PEACE.

Pimpwerx

fid said:
Hi, Is there anyway to unlock/jailbreak a 2.0 2nd generation iphone? I got my 1.1.4 replaced by apple last night and it came preloaded with 2.0 i believe.
Update to the 2.0.2 firmware with iTunes, then use WinPwn2.5 if you have Windows. It's possibly the easiest firmware hack I've done. Easier than my PSPs, and way easier than my SE phone. PEACE.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Pimpwerx said:
Ringtones are easy to make if you buy music with iTunes. I don't, so I have to use the workaround with the file rename. It's not an issue since I only change ringtones once every few months. No tougher than using mp3trim, but still more of a hassle than it needs to be. My other phones let me use any mp3 I had.

um, what?
http://www.iringer.net/
Seriously, it's easier to make ringtones for the iphone than 99% of other phones out there.

And IIRC the DRM in songs you buy from iTunes prevents you from converting them directly into ringtones. You need to "buy" the ringtone from Apple if you want it. Yet another reason to buy DRM-free music.

DarkJC

Pimpwerx said:
Actually, I do know why, it's so we buy mobileme. But I'm not faling for that shit.

Yep, it's all a corporate conspiracy to get you to buy MobileMe. I wish we had rolleyes.gif right about now.

LCfiner

sweet. the flixter movies.app got updated on the phone. no longer crashes when I search by theatre.

anyone else who had the crashing issue before should check it out. it works really well.

Tobor

Pimpwerx said:

Ringtones are ridiculously easy to make, no matter where you get your music.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
LCfiner said:

So what exactly is the new hardware?
I thought the little shoe sensor was just bluetooth.

LCfiner

Juice said:
So apparently the Nike+ only works with the new iPod Touch. Not the old one. Not the iPhone. Not the iPhone 3G. Not even with the dongle.

http://gizmodo.com/5047450/confirme...d-gen-ipod-touch-not-iphone-or-1st-gen-itouch

What a piece of shit. They didn't add the Nike+ receiver to the device for your convenience, they probably did it because there was no workaround to interference or some other show-stopper related to the dongle-connector.

This sucks but I'm not surprised. That dongle was made to work with the old nano software, right? I'd be surprised if it worked with the iphone OS or the new iPod OS. I was HOPING it would, but I guess not.

Tobor

LCfiner said:
This sucks but I'm not surprised. That dongle was made to work with the old nano software, right? I'd be surprised if it worked with the iphone OS or the new iPod OS. I was HOPING it would, but I guess not.

They could theoretically write an app to allow the dongle to work, though. Or release a new dongle that would work, which they still may do at some point.

Pachimari

So as this is the official iPhone thread, I'll ask here, please help an iPhone owner who has not been able to use his phone for 3 months. =(

I have a 1G iPhone imported from the US, using it here in Europe. I had jailbreaked and unlocked it via Ziphone before the vacation, and then one of the apps crashes the phone. I wanted to recover it when I got back home, but the iTunes recovery won't recove and just gives me the following errors:

"The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occured (6)"
"The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occured (13)"
"The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occured (9)" - after having plugged it directly without the dock, and restarting the computer.

What is there left to do? I can't seem to get it to work..

PS: And I'm using Windows Vista 32-bit and iTunes 8.

Pachimari

Now I get a (1604) error as well and DFU mode doesn't work. I'm going to stay up all night to solve this iPhone problem I have had for the last 3 months; this is driving me nuts =/.

I'll try to restore on a whole other computer I think.. maybe that'll work?

Enzom21

Anastacio said:
Now I get a (1604) error as well and DFU mode doesn't work. I'm going to stay up all night to solve this iPhone problem I have had for the last 3 months; this is driving me nuts =/.

I'll try to restore on a whole other computer I think.. maybe that'll work?
Have you tried creating a custom firmware using winpwn and restoring with that?

Pachimari

enzom21 said:
Have you tried creating a custom firmware using winpwn and restoring with that?
Yea but maybe it's me who doesn't get it. It won't work after I select both 2.0; 2.1 and 2.2. What am I doing wrong? It won't even work on a whole new computer after having reinstalled iTunes. The computer shuts down when i use another usb etc.

Btw, what is 'flash mode'? Is that DFU or Recovery mode?

Pachimari

I finally got it restored but to the latest 2.0.2 update via iTunes 'Restore and update'. Now it at least works but I have to jailbreak and unlock it again. Would you recommend me to use Ziphone 3.0 again?

Pachimari

taaakun said:
I was using the winpwn pwnage tool, haven't used ziphone much. Did it even support 2.0.2?
Maybe it doesn't, since it won't work.

One of friends told me to use pwnage as well but it seems a little hard finding the Windows version but easily to find the Mac version.. =/

I'll try search again but I'm not into how to do the pwnage tools, I'll eventually learn.

EDIT:
Actually I got WinPwn installed already

taaakun

It's called winpwn. Search for a good guide with links to all the files you need, should be out there.

Don't use quickpwn, it won't unlock your 1G iPhone, only jailbreak it.

Pachimari

Yah, I have winpwn installed. My plan now is:

Uninstall iTunes on my laptop.
Restart.
Download and install iTunes 8.
Restart.
Update & Restore iPhone to 2.0.2
Jailbreak & Unlock with Winpwn

Perhaps that does the trick?

Pachimari

Okay, so now i got it restored and iTunes says 'The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported" - as usual, so that's fine.

Now the problem is with winpwn tools.

- I select 'iPhone' (1G)
- Then I choose 2.0.2
- Are you using an official carrier? I answer NO
- Do you want to unlock the iPhone? I answer YES
- Do you want to use custom boot/logos? I answer NO
- Then it gives me this message in a pop-up:

"Could not find BL-39.bin! Do you want to search for the file?"

What shall I do now? Searching doesn't help much.

EDIT: I'm reading a guide now, I have to download a file or something. reading on..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom