• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

Yah I found it, now it's building the custom IPSW. So what will I do with that file? =/

I'm really sorry for being complicated, but so far, so good.

EDIT:
I found out.

Pimpwerx

Nerevar said:
um, what?
http://www.iringer.net/
Seriously, it's easier to make ringtones for the iphone than 99% of other phones out there.

And IIRC the DRM in songs you buy from iTunes prevents you from converting them directly into ringtones. You need to "buy" the ringtone from Apple if you want it. Yet another reason to buy DRM-free music.
Not really. Most phones let you just choose an mp3 and it'll play from the beginning. You just need to trim it, which you can do with almost any program. I don't know about you guys, but if I have a ton of music on my phone, I don't see the need to have abbreviated copies just for a ringtone. It's a silly restriction that needs no excuses made for it. At least my Samsungs and SE phones did. My gf's Nokia and Motorola also did, and I believe my dad's Chocolate and Pearl do as well. No excuse. PEACE.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Pimpwerx said:
Not really. Most phones let you just choose an mp3 and it'll play from the beginning. You just need to trim it, which you can do with almost any program. I don't know about you guys, but if I have a ton of music on my phone, I don't see the need to have abbreviated copies just for a ringtone. It's a silly restriction that needs no excuses made for it. At least my Samsungs and SE phones did. My gf's Nokia and Motorola also did, and I believe my dad's Chocolate and Pearl do as well. No excuse. PEACE.
The worst part about it is there is still no way to have your iphone's alarm play music! :lol
I don't want to wake up to a 30 second clip of some song.

Has there been an app released yet that does this?

Pimpwerx

DarkJC said:
Yep, it's all a corporate conspiracy to get you to buy MobileMe. I wish we had rolleyes.gif right about now.
Windows Calendar is the default calendar program for Vista. Vista is the default OS for PCs shipping today. You don't think it's a bit of an oversight, or are they just supposed to ignore millions of PC users? I don't own an Apple computer, so I can't tell you if this is the same with the default MacOS planner, but it sucks a fat dizzle that it doesn't synch with WinCalendar. MobileMe works, but it's a seperate app. Clearly the phone can synch its calendar with a computer, but Apple chose not to support WinCalendar. Why do I feel like some of you would make these snarky, defensive posts if your iPhone spat in your face each day. It's a fucking phone. Some of it rocks, but some of it sucks. Deal with the criticism, b/c I'm dealing with this phone. PEACE.

Pachimari

Seriously, I get to the point in Winpwn where it says:

"Congratulations! You have succesfully entered DFU mode. Please wait while your iPhone is being prepared to accept custom IPSWs..."

Then my iPhone screen turns all white while the program stops to function..

How come? =/

.. so I guess I'm stuck?

Mar

SonnyBoy said:
It's that bad, really? :lol

Yeah it is. Just this morning I was reading the Apple event thread on my iPhone, and without a word of a lie just as I read the 'fix for app crashes' quote in someones post the browser crashed and I was dumped back to the dashboard.

I really want to believe that they've fixed the app crashes. But they crash so often that it's hard to believe they've fixed something so chronic.

Chairman85

Does anyone know if the
Code:
<meta name="apple-touch-fullscreen" content="YES"/>
tag is finally supported in Safari in Firmware 2.1?

Mar_ said:
Yeah it is. Just this morning I was reading the Apple event thread on my iPhone, and without a word of a lie just as I read the 'fix for app crashes' quote in someones post the browser crashed and I was dumped back to the dashboard.

I really want to believe that they've fixed the app crashes. But they crash so often that it's hard to believe they've fixed something so chronic.

Unless they found the actual cause of the crashes. The bug or bugs that have made things unstable, and they've fixed it. I suppose some of the of the crashes are due to the apps themselves, but plenty are due to the OS too.

Pachimari

Winpwn keeps freezing when it says 'congratulations'....

And all the other times it says, I did not follow the instructions and it shows me a questionmark, but I am doing what it tells me to do...

What am I doing wrong?

Tobor

Pimpwerx said:

So what? I mean really? So what? There are plenty of obvious fucking things that other phones should do and, guess what, they don't. My last phone was a showstopping nightmare. I would cuss and scream about that stupid Samsung Blackjack all day. The battery life was abysmal, my emails would either not send at all, or resend every five minutes until my friends(and better yet, employers) would call me screaming to stop spamming their inboxes. The calendar required drilling down through seven different menus to try and add an event. The web browser was pitiful at best, and literally unusable at worst. And upgrading the firmware was a 3 page process that pulled up a terminal screen with a frigging C prompt. A C prompt on a phone? Ridiculous.

So I'll take the minor inconveniences and the occasional hiccup because that's all it is, a hiccup. My browser crashed the desktop? I'll take that any day over not being able to use the browser for anything functional at all.

Is the iPhone perfect? Hell no. But it is light years ahead of everything else on the market in usability. /rant

ckohler

Chairman85 said:
Does anyone know if the
Code:
<meta name="apple-touch-fullscreen" content="YES"/>
tag is finally supported in Safari in Firmware 2.1?
Does this tag do what I think it does? Tell me more about this, please.

Pachimari

enzom21 said:
Completely uninstall it, and erase any of the files it creates in your Application data folder then reinstall it.
I just uninstalled the whole program and redownloaded and reinstalled it again, and it doesn't seem to work. And My laptop can't even open the program.

Chairman85

ckohler said:
Does this tag do what I think it does? Tell me more about this, please.
You're the developer of the NeoGAF iPhone site right? Yes, it's supposed to hide the title-bar to blur the line between iPhone apps and websites designed for iPhone, but at least with any firmware up to and including 2.0.2, it has not yet been added. I'm hoping 2.1 adds it, but I won't get my hopes up.

Mar

Tobor said:
So what? I mean really? So what? There are plenty of obvious fucking things that other phones should do and, guess what, they don't. My last phone was a showstopping nightmare. I would cuss and scream about that stupid Samsung Blackjack all day. The battery life was abysmal, my emails would either not send at all, or resend every five minutes until my friends(and better yet, employers) would call me screaming to stop spamming their inboxes. The calendar required drilling down through seven different menus to try and add an event. The web browser was pitiful at best, and literally unusable at worst. And upgrading the firmware was a 3 page process that pulled up a terminal screen with a frigging C prompt. A C prompt on a phone? Ridiculous.

So I'll take the minor inconveniences and the occasional hiccup because that's all it is, a hiccup. My browser crashed the desktop? I'll take that any day over not being able to use the browser for anything functional at all.

Is the iPhone perfect? Hell no. But it is light years ahead of everything else on the market in usability. /rant

Well said.

This is the reason why even though many of us are complaining about issues with the phone. We still love it to bits and can never imagine going back to something else.

Phoenix

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Unless they found the actual cause of the crashes. The bug or bugs that have made things unstable, and they've fixed it. I suppose some of the of the crashes are due to the apps themselves, but plenty are due to the OS too.

99.9999% of what's causing apps to crash is the same thing that causes Windows to blow up - bad API calls and poor isolation. Just as Microsoft has gotten a shitload better at isolation in Windows Vista, Apple may have gotten better with iPhone firmware 2.1. All the sandboxed apps rely on the OS to provide services and Apple fucked up a LOT in firmware 2.0 in an effort to get it out.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to the possibility of the new apple in ear phones supporting the iphone, even if the volume rocker doesn't work (though I am hoping that is a function of the 2.1 firmware, but I would guess they would have highlighted its usefulness on the iphone in the PC if they are doing that).

Some things the iPod function on the iphone needs badly. Gesture control on lock screen. I hate trying to skip shuffled tracks when I am driving, double click then hope I hit the skip track button or look down for a second (bad idea). gesture control for swipe forward swipe back song skipping and vertical swiping for volume would be awesome.

Alternatively an accessory dev could make a 3.5mm stereo line that has the click "remote" in line. fuck I should make one and sell it :lol

ckohler

Chairman85 said:
You're the developer of the NeoGAF iPhone site right? Yes, it's supposed to hide the title-bar to blur the line between iPhone apps and websites designed for iPhone, but at least with any firmware up to and including 2.0.2, it has not yet been added. I'm hoping 2.1 adds it, but I won't get my hopes up.
I just downloaded the "iPhone SDK for Web Developers" video from Apple and they have surreptitiously removed the part of the video that in the original edit discussed this feature. I'm getting the impression that Apple has changed their mind on implementing it. :(

Pachimari

enzom21 said:
Is it still not loading winpwn at all?
Try this tutorial.
It does load it, but after it greets me a congratulation after the DFU mode, the program just stops working and I have to restart the computer..

This is where the program freezes:

WP16.jpg

cvxfreak

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Lasting "up to 2.5 days" doing what? Depending on your usage, the iPhone could last as long probably as well, but I get your point. Compared to the other smart phones in the iPhone's class, they all roughly have the same, rather crappy battery life, and most 3G phones have the same issue.

A good combination of internet browsing (via an Opera browser), checking and writing emails (because SMS isn't widely used in Japan), throw in an hour or so of television broadcast, taking a bunch of pictures... all at a consistent 3G connection that worked below ground everywhere except between subway stations on a train. As far as American phones go, I think the iPhone 3G may be par for the course as you said.

I forgive the iPhone, though, because it's a great device, and my Japanese phone sure as hell won't support MobileMe. :D

Pachimari

Eventually I tried to restore the iPhone with the file it had left in the 'my documents' even though the program crashed and as expected it didn't work out.

So it seems like I can't find the solution to get through the freezing, isn't there a firmware out there, I can use, so I can skip the winpwn tool? Could the problem be, that I'm using Windows Vista 32-bit and iTunes 8?

tetsuoxb

Pimpwerx said:
Windows Calendar is the default calendar program for Vista. Vista is the default OS for PCs shipping today. You don't think it's a bit of an oversight, or are they just supposed to ignore millions of PC users? I don't own an Apple computer, so I can't tell you if this is the same with the default MacOS planner, but it sucks a fat dizzle that it doesn't synch with WinCalendar. MobileMe works, but it's a seperate app. Clearly the phone can synch its calendar with a computer, but Apple chose not to support WinCalendar. Why do I feel like some of you would make these snarky, defensive posts if your iPhone spat in your face each day. It's a fucking phone. Some of it rocks, but some of it sucks. Deal with the criticism, b/c I'm dealing with this phone. PEACE.

You don't have Outlook?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Pimpwerx said:

now you know how it felt when microsoft stopped supporting windows media on osx :(

these companies work in mysterious and frustrating ways...

hirokazu

Anastacio said:
Eventually I tried to restore the iPhone with the file it had left in the 'my documents' even though the program crashed and as expected it didn't work out.

So it seems like I can't find the solution to get through the freezing, isn't there a firmware out there, I can use, so I can skip the winpwn tool? Could the problem be, that I'm using Windows Vista 32-bit and iTunes 8?

I'm assuming that when you did the restore you describe, the phone wasn't in DFU mode, hence it didn't work.

I'm pretty sure you don't winpwn just guides you through entering DFU mode. If you have successfully created an IPSW file with it, you should be able to do the rest with just iTunes. Enter DFU mode again manually, without the help of winpwn, then restore the IPSW file winpwn created to the phone.

Also, make sure you have restored an unpwned 2.0.x firmware to your phone before doing the restore.

You might be right that it could just be iTunes 8 not working correctly with Windows Vista:
http://gizmodo.com/5047721/itunes-8-causing-huge-problems-bsod-for-vista-users

Pachimari

When I used the custom file it created for me after having freezed, iTunes just gave me an error; I think it was (1609). And I restored the iPhone to the official 2.0.2 through iTunes before using winpwn. Nothing seems to work so far.. =/

The blue screen happened to me as well when I used one of the USB ports behind my PC, but not at the front, so I should be okay with iTunes 8 here. This is what I do step by step:

- I have a locked SIM card in my iPhone.
- I 'Update and Restore' through iTunes 8.
- Now it can't read my sim card obviously, so I need to jailbreak and unlock.
- I follow the guide in the Winpwn software.
- It creates a file.
- Then I try to put it in DFU mode but after it says it has succesfully made a file, my iPhone gets a white screen and the software freezes.

That's where I have been stuck for the last 14+ hours with 3 hours sleep.. =/

Pachimari

I get an 1600-error in iTunes when I try to restore with a custom file. So that could mean I have to create a support directory through SSH to eliminate this problem?

rancor

Neo Member
Jtwo said:
The worst part about it is there is still no way to have your iphone's alarm play music! :lol

the 'alarm' sound clip is heinous.

BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM

just what i dont want to hear at 6am.

cvxfreak said:
A good combination of internet browsing (via an Opera browser), checking and writing emails (because SMS isn't widely used in Japan), throw in an hour or so of television broadcast, taking a bunch of pictures... all at a consistent 3G connection that worked below ground everywhere except between subway stations on a train. As far as American phones go, I think the iPhone 3G may be par for the course as you said.

I forgive the iPhone, though, because it's a great device, and my Japanese phone sure as hell won't support MobileMe. :D

The 2.1 update due Friday is suppose to help battery life significantly. Let hope that it does have a positive impact in that department.

dkeane

rancor said:
the 'alarm' sound clip is heinous.

BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM

just what i dont want to hear at 6am.
You can set ringtones to the alarm, I just made a song into a ringtone. What I need (maybe just haven't found it) is a setting to prolong the snooze function. I must have hit it 5 times this morning.

lionelhutz

Does anyone know if Verizon prorates the early termination fee? I've had my contract a year and I'm tempted to get an iPhone. I think the fee is normally $175 but I've read mixed reports on the fee. The new 2.1 FW seems like it will address the concerns I had about the 3G device.

Pachimari

I came up with another idea.
Because my iPhone is 1G and not therefore locked in Europe (american iphone), I should avoid updating the phone to 2.0.2 in iTunes which I have done so far to restore the phone to original settings.

Instead I should try to downgrade it and then make a custom file in Winpwn. Do you guys think that'll help?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Anastacio said:
I came up with another idea.
Because my iPhone is 1G and not therefore locked in Europe (american iphone), I should avoid updating the phone to 2.0.2 in iTunes which I have done so far to restore the phone to original settings.

Instead I should try to downgrade it and then make a custom file in Winpwn. Do you guys think that'll help?
At this point, you should try anything.
Have you used QuickPwn (not winpwn), it does in fact unlock if you want it to as well as jailbreak.
lionelhutz said:
Does anyone know if Verizon prorates the early termination fee? I've had my contract a year and I'm tempted to get an iPhone. I think the fee is normally $175 but I've read mixed reports on the fee. The new 2.1 FW seems like it will address the concerns I had about the 3G device.
Isn't it like 5-10 bucks less each month you own it? I remember the lady telling me something like that.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I have no idea how, but my 2yo daughter gets the rewind/play/fast forward controls to show up on the screen even while the phone is locked. So, if I want to mess with a track, I don't have to swipe/unlock every time. For the life of me, I can't figure out what she's done. Anybody know what I have to do to get that functionality?

VanMardigan said:
I have no idea how, but my 2yo daughter gets the rewind/play/fast forward controls to show up on the screen even while the phone is locked. So, if I want to mess with a track, I don't have to swipe/unlock every time. For the life of me, I can't figure out what she's done. Anybody know what I have to do to get that functionality?

Just put the iPhone in your mouth and suck on it briefly.

Double-click the Home button.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Worm_Buffet said:
Just put the iPhone in your mouth and suck on it briefly.

Thanks for the help. And yeah, I'd nervously hand her the iphone to try to get her to do it in front of me, but eventually she just learned to swipe/unlock it, so now I have to keep it away from her. :lol

Pachimari

Yea, I'm trying anything I can but nothing works which seems a bit weird. As my iPhone is 2.0.2 locked, so I need to unlock and jailbreak it. I would assume I just have to do what everyone else are doing, but winpwn keeps crashing. I'll try quickpwn later. It didn't work on this computer, so I'll try the other computer and the laptop later.

Pachimari

So this time I tried Quickpwn and it started up perfectly. I get the required file and then the software can not be recognized as an internal or external batch.. now I'm wondering, what to do next.. =(

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm sure you are, but are you using the correct FW for the 1st gen phone since they're different for the original and 3G?

I actually goofed when trying to update my old first gen with custom 3G FW and couldn't figure out what was wrong for the longest time.

Chairman85

ckohler said:
I just downloaded the "iPhone SDK for Web Developers" video from Apple and they have surreptitiously removed the part of the video that in the original edit discussed this feature. I'm getting the impression that Apple has changed their mind on implementing it. :(
Well, that sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom