• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzom21

AzRim904 said:
Its not unlocked but he said he knows someone that could do it...

So I would not pay him unless my T-mobile sim works with youtube etc.

What is the best way to unlock the 3G to have all the features? Money is not a problem
There is no unlock for the 3G yet.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
You can't unlock a 3G currently via normal methods.

You can jailbreak it though, so you can install non-official software.

If money isn't a problem, get one of those unlocked 3Gs of ebay for $7xx+ ;)

Az

fuckin craigslist... I'll just go the normal way and get it through the apple store when they become available...

Edit: thanks for the info guys

AzRim904 said:
Sorry I forgot to include that it is a 3G, bout a month old I think

I don't think the 3g iPhones are unlocked yet, so... yeah.

Edit: Wow, majorly beat on that one. That's what I get for opening six tabs and reading one by one.

DarkJC

WordAssassin said:
Seeing as you can buy a brand new iPhone for $199 yes, I'd say that's WAY too much. Hell check out eBay first too.

I know that later in the thread it was found out that it was a 3G iPhone and thus couldn't be unlocked, but I was curious about this statement.

You realize that the phone is worth much more then $199 right? It's being subsidized because you'll be paying the phone company for 3 years. Buying an unlocked iPhone (once they are going to be unlocked) is going to be much more than $199.

Pachimari

After having tried to jailbreak my 1G iPhone for 23 hours with 3 hours sleep that other day, I only got to activate it, but no unlocking. So I actually have one last thing to do.

People have told me winpwn doesn't work together with iTunes 8, so that might be why my software constantly crashes. So I downloaded 7.7 but it keeps telling me, the 'iTunes Library.itl' were created by a newer version of iTunes.

What shall I do? I have tried on both a stationary and a laptop, to uninstall iTunes 8, Update and Quicktime, only to install the 7.7 after that, but the .itl file is the reason it won't cooperate and I can't get to erase the file. Then on the other computer I open iTunes 7.7 but a pop-up message tells me that my iPhone will only work with version 7.7.. but that's the version I were using.

What to do now? =/

Enzom21

Anastacio said:
After having tried to jailbreak my 1G iPhone for 23 hours with 3 hours sleep that other day, I only got to activate it, but no unlocking. So I actually have one last thing to do.

People have told me winpwn doesn't work together with iTunes 8, so that might be why my software constantly crashes. So I downloaded 7.7 but it keeps telling me, the 'iTunes Library.itl' were created by a newer version of iTunes.

What shall I do? I have tried on both a stationary and a laptop, to uninstall iTunes 8, Update and Quicktime, only to install the 7.7 after that, but the .itl file is the reason it won't cooperate and I can't get to erase the file. Then on the other computer I open iTunes 7.7 but a pop-up message tells me that my iPhone will only work with version 7.7.. but that's the version I were using.

What to do now? =/
This says to use quickpwn to jailbreak and then get bootneuter from Cydia to unlock.

I made a Castle Crashers iPhone ring-tone from the shop music thanks to the Newgrounds audio-vault. I'm not near my iPhone to test it, but if anyone wants it, you can download it here:

Castle_Crashers_Shop.zip

(Not sure if this should go in the iPhone thread or the Castle Crashers thread so I'll post it in both until told otherwise.)

lionelhutz

I made the jump today. I picked up a 3G 16GB black iPhone. Now for some questions:

- What are some essential free apps?

- Where is a good place to get/make ringtones?

- Where is a good place to get wallpaper? How do I save images from the iPhone to the photo folder?

- I'm running 2.0.1 FW. Should I update tomorrow?

- Is there a way to set it vibrate for incoming txt messages. I get a lot of txt messages and I don't like it chiming at me every time I receive one.

That all I can think of now. Thanks in advance.

Enzom21

lionelhutz said:
I made the jump today. I picked up a 3G 16GB black iPhone. Now for some questions:

- Where is a good place to get wallpaper? How do I save images from the iPhone to the photo folder?

- Is there a way to set it vibrate for incoming txt messages. I get a lot of txt messages and I don't like it chiming at me every time I receive one.

-Pandora radio is great, grab tris before it is pulled from the app store, Shazam, Parlingo for chat.

-If you are on windows use http://www.iringer.net/ if you are on OSX use garageband.

-There was a link to a good site in this thread don't remember though. To save images from the internet simple press the image until it asks you if you would like to save it.

-It is supposed to have many bug fixes, but I am waiting because my phone is jailbroken.

-Under sound, you can put it on none.

lionelhutz said:

This thread is like Groundhog Day.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
I don't want to post a thread about this but what is it with Apple Store employees?

Are they trained not to tell you the price of something they think is expensive? I've had this experience several times where I go to the store with the intention of buying something and when they come over to help me, they immediately suggest getting something cheaper. They are quite aggressive about it. This guy who was helping me today all but outright refused to sell me the product I was asking for and was trying to push the cheaper alternative. I don't really have a problem with people offering you a way to save a couple bucks but it is not the first time I've had that experience at the Apple Store and the way this guy was going about the "downsell" was a little condescending (probably because I am a kid). When asking them how much it would cost to get my computer serviced at Apple they said, "it's really expensive." Hey, I'm not asking what you think of the price and I really don't care if Apple doesn't pay you enough to afford such services, just answer the fucking question! Sheesh.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Mar_ said:
But I live in the future
Australia
and want my update now god damn it.

Yeah gives me the shits, Spore Origins was out on the "7th" but didn't end up getting it till like the 9th. Stupid Timezones.

hirokazu

Dammit, Apple. Where's my firmware 2.1. It's past 3pm in Australia, should be 1am at the US East Coast. Why must you be based on the West Coast? Bah.

Yesterday, my 3G battery went from 80% full to completely empty in about 7 hours and I have no idea why. The phone was on idle almost the entire time, except may 15 minutes of usage during that time. It was on the home screen, so no app was running, and not jailbroken either. I HATE firmware 2.0 so much!

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
So, my 2G phone is jailbroken +unlocked. I want to upgrade to 2.1. I dont really give a shit about the jailbreak anymore, as appstore has all I need. Can I just update to the official 2.1, or will this also alter the baseband and break my unlock?

mjfor40

Need some help...I have a first gen iPhone cracked for T-Mobile using ZiPhone 1.1.4 (i'm pretty sure). I am told I can download an updated file to get my cracked first gen iPhone on the 2.0 software to download apps, use iTunes 8 and so forth...has anyone done this? I am afraid of bricking my phone, losing all my music/files etc. If someone could walk me through where to go and what to do I'd appreciate it.

clav

B!TCH said:
I don't want to post a thread about this but what is it with Apple Store employees?

Are they trained not to tell you the price of something they think is expensive? I've had this experience several times where I go to the store with the intention of buying something and when they come over to help me, they immediately suggest getting something cheaper. They are quite aggressive about it. This guy who was helping me today all but outright refused to sell me the product I was asking for and was trying to push the cheaper alternative. I don't really have a problem with people offering you a way to save a couple bucks but it is not the first time I've had that experience at the Apple Store and the way this guy was going about the "downsell" was a little condescending (probably because I am a kid). When asking them how much it would cost to get my computer serviced at Apple they said, "it's really expensive." Hey, I'm not asking what you think of the price and I really don't care if Apple doesn't pay you enough to afford such services, just answer the fucking question! Sheesh.
Maybe the service reps are pushed to sell the cheaper line so they get bonuses.

lionelhutz

Firestorm said:
I'm hyped for 2.1 :D What time do firmware updates usually hit?

Post your upgrade experience when you're done. My phone is at 2.0.1 and seems to be working fine. I turned off location services, 3G, WiFi, etc. and was on the phone for about 1.5 hours last night. Calls were clear and no drops. I just want to make sure things seem OK before updating.

lionelhutz

claviertekky said:
Maybe the service reps are pushed to sell the cheaper line so they get bonuses.

If you walk in with a budget for a certain item and they can get you to buy something cheaper then there is money leftover for Applecare, training classes to use the product, this extra piece of software etc.

suikodan

I'm using a iPhone and downloaded several apps from two different computers so I have some apps in one PC and somes apps on the other.

However, when I want to copy the apps from the 2nd PC to the iPhone, it won't do it since the content doesn't match. Is there a way to download my iPhone's stuff in iTunes so that I can add the extra content after?

lionelhutz said:
If you walk in with a budget for a certain item and they can get you to buy something cheaper then there is money leftover for Applecare, training classes to use the product, this extra piece of software etc.
The training classes are free, and Applecare can be bought in the first year. OneToOne will cost you, but no one there really cares if you get that or not.

The Apple Store guys aren't necessarily trying to sell you anything, because they're told not to be pushy dicks. It isn't Gamestop where you'll be pushed onto everything. The guy Jobs hired to run these stores and plan them out was very serious about making it a different type of experience. I think whoever B!TCH was getting thinks they were just being honest and helpful by telling you it costs a lot, but they're just coming off as dodging questions and not giving you what you want.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i can confirm that it's out :eek:

iPhone version 2.1 contains many bug fixes and improvements, including the following:
• decrease in call set-up failures and call drops
• significantly improved battery life for most users
• dramatically reduced time to backup to iTunes
• improved email reliability, notably fetching email from POP and Exchange accounts
• faster installation of 3rd party applications
• fixed bugs causing hangs and crashes if you have lots of 3rd party applications
• improved performance in text messaging
• faster loading and searching of contacts
• improved accuracy of the 3G signal strength display
• repeat alert up to two additional times for incoming text messages
• option to wipe data after ten failed passcode attempts
• Genius playlist creation

lexi

Banned
iPhone 2.1 Software Update

iPhone version 2.1 contains many bug fixes and improvements, including the following:
• significantly improved battery life for most users
• dramatically reduced time to backup to iTunes
• improved email reliability, notably fetching email from POP and Exchange accounts
• faster installation of 3rd party applications
• fixed bugs causing hangs and crashes if you have lots of 3rd party applications
• improved accuracy of the 3G signal strength display
• repeat alert up to two additional times for incoming text messages
• option to wipe data after ten failed passcode attempts
• Genius playlist creation

For feature descriptions and complete instructions, see the user guide for your iPhone at:
<http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/iphone>

For more information about iPhone, go to:
<http://www.apple.com/iphone>

To troubleshoot your iPhone, or to view additional support information go to:
<http://www.apple.com/support/iphone>

For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:
<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222>

bathala

Banned
lockii said:
iPhone 2.1 Software Update

this is all i care about. can't wait for Jailbroke update

Juice

While that's going, I would like to say that I'm pleased Apple has finally recognized that bug fix updates *are* worth communicating to some level of granular detail with their customers. The 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 updates wouldn't have gone over as poorly if they'd just explained the power consumption problem instead of acting like it was a "bug fixes" panacea.

I mean look at this page: http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

Way to go from being obnoxiously terse to hiring a graphic designer to walk through it.

It probably means they:
1. Recognize the 3G bugs are affecting their image and impacting their busienss
2. That if they can't get the 2.0.1 users to upgrade, AT&Ts 3G network is going to be inundated with rogue phones killing their towers

lexi

Banned
Holy shit, massive improvement, my contacts list is virtually instant now, no lag, full scrolling straight away. Everything feels MUCH snappier.

Edit: For Australians, proper number formatting is in, with one small exception, but it's much better then it has been. (Yes I know this could be fixed from Jailbreaking.)

Juice

Option to wipe data after ten failed passcode attempts

I'm tempted to apply this. If I get the PIN wrong 10 times, I probably would want to wipe it. If it was an honest mistake on my own (or wife's) part, I could just bring it back home and re-sync it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
lockii said:
Holy shit, massive improvement, my contacts list is virtually instant now, no lag, full scrolling straight away. Everything feels MUCH snappier.

oh god, the macrumors meme.... get it out of here!

Juice

lockii said:
I've accidentally a meme?

OS X-era MacHeads, MacRumors forums being no exception, love to refer tongue-in-cheek to each update as being "snappier". Jobs used it now and then in keynotes, but it's a hilariously subjective statement, and a great way to get into a 3 page flame war as to:

A.) Whether the update actually makes the software "snappier"
B.) If so, whether it matches the extent of snappiness purportedly experienced by someone else.

hirokazu

Fuck yeah. Downloading.

Also, where's the place iTunes stores iPhone IPSW files after they've been downloaded? I want to make a copy for pwnagetool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom