• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hooker

Contact list does feel smoother, but the problems didn't happen constantly here. They still have to prove that. Text messaging, meh, same as before. Maybe it feels a wee bit faster but still not fast enough. Backing up takes longer than usual, but that could also be because it's the first backup with the new firmware.

The first 1 or 2 words are still being delayed. But they'll get the benefit of the doubt...

Juice

Nice! I like that the fill-bar at the bottom of the iPhone summary page shows apps now instead of grouping them under "Other".

My "Other" is down from 600 to 220MB, with the arithmetically puzzling 600MB now a green Apps section.

lexi

Banned
Juice said:
OS X-era MacHeads, MacRumors forums being no exception, love to refer tongue-in-cheek to each update as being "snappier". Jobs used it now and then in keynotes, but it's a hilariously subjective statement, and a great way to get into a 3 page flame war as to:

A.) Whether the update actually makes the software "snappier"
B.) If so, whether it matches the extent of snappiness purportedly experienced by someone else.

Thanks for clarifying. Honestly had no idea it was an Apple in-joke.

Juice

Contacts is way snappier, but still not as instant as it was under 1.x; once it loads, though, it's instantaneous now. You can scroll up and search without waiting all day.

SMS takes just as long to load, but it no longer takes another 3 seconds to bring up the keyboard.

lexi

Banned
iPod is much nicer too. Along with Genius, Artist / Album name now appears below the track name in songs. Feels 'snappier' too.

lionelhutz

I just downloaded and installed it in about 10 minutes. No issues with the upgrade. I have no basis for comparison since I got the phone last night. For what it's worth the upgrade went smoothly. Took longer than I expected though.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
lockii said:
iPod is much nicer too. Along with Genius, Artist / Album name now appears below the track name in songs. Feels 'snappier' too.

Finally like the Remote!

How are you guys downloading so quick :/ Mines only on 57 meg.

rancor

Neo Member
so did 2.1 add the gps improvements? sounds like they didn't add much, just bug fixes. may as well called the update 2.03.

My download went fast and the update is installing now. Back-up took maybe two minutes, but that varies greatly based on apps installed. Phone is about to restart. Hope it's improved things.

NekoFever

People on MacRumors are saying that their 3G reception is dramatically improved. Anyone here able to see what they're getting?

Also does anyone know if this one fixes that bug/oversight where if you set your country to the UK you could only have the 24-hour clock? That was annoying and I think it was introduced in 2.0, but neither of the subsequent updates have fixed it.

Still got 13 minutes to go on my download :(

VOOK

lionelhutz said:
Anyone find the multiple alert for txt messages? I can't seem to find it. Is it automatic?

Send yourself a text and see, I think that's probably it.

hirokazu

rancor said:
so did 2.1 add the gps improvements? sounds like they didn't add much, just bug fixes. may as well called the update 2.03.
Completely forgot about that. Whatever happened to those rumoured improvements in GPS accuracy that would pave the way for turn-by-turn navigation?

NekoFever said:
Also does anyone know if this one fixes that bug/oversight where if you set your country to the UK you could only have the 24-hour clock? That was annoying and I think it was introduced in 2.0, but neither of the subsequent updates have fixed it.
Yes that is so dumb but I think it was intentional. Why the hell would you lock time display options for certain location settings?

Juice

lockii said:

Good lord, the iPod.app improvements are drastically obvious out the gate

hirokazu

thegreyfox said:
iPod+Mama Robotnik thread = death. It's the worst i seen the iPhone crash.

Other then that ipod+safari is holding up pretty good.
I had iPod + Safari viewing Twitter during the Let's Rock event since it was like 3-4am here. Pressed refresh, music stuttered and then got stuck. Then everything froze and the phone rebooted 30sec later.

2.0 is horrible.

SuperPac

Was this update supposed to add the whole push notification thing for apps? Or has that been delayed? Can't wait to use AIM for realz.

bionic77

thegreyfox said:

Dude, those Star Trek gifs cause my laptops to hang up. No way the iPhone or probably any mobile browser is going to be able to handle them.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
hirokazu said:
Fuck yeah. Downloading.

Also, where's the place iTunes stores iPhone IPSW files after they've been downloaded? I want to make a copy for pwnagetool.
For windows it's something like:
C:\documents and settings\(username)\application data\apple\itunes\software back up

Not 100%, this is from memory.

Juice

thegreyfox said:

I honestly don't think that ANY version of WebKit is load tested with >10MB animated gifs.

I don't think many browser architects troll 4chan or Mama Robotnik threads.

So how do you make Genius Playlists. I'm not seeing the option.

General feel seems snappier. Will need to play with it more and see if my two main issues are fixed, namely my phone would sometimes stop getting e-mail, and battery life was crappy when using apps.

Enzom21

Kung Fu Jedi said:

General feel seems snappier. Will need to play with it more and see if my two main issues are fixed, namely my phone would sometimes stop getting e-mail, and battery life was crappy when using apps.
I had to copy a genius playlist over from iTunes for the option to appear.

VOOK

Kung Fu Jedi said:

I thought you just play a song, tap it once for the tracker to open then press the genius button in the middle?

enzom21 said:
I had to copy a genius playlist over from iTunes for the option to appear.

Ahh... maybe that's what I need to do.

VOOK said:
I thought you just play a song, tap it once for the tracker to open then press the genius button in the middle?

That doesn't seem to be the case for me. I tap it and get the normal iPod control options.

hirokazu

I'm liking this. Scrolling in various apps feels much smoother. First load for contacts is way faster. Genius playlists looks good for on the go. I hope they'll update the Remote app to allow you to tell iTunes to generate a Genius playlist.

Installing/updating apps directly from the phone is heaps faster too, and remembers the app's position when updating. I hated updating apps in 2.0 when I had to reposition them all the time!

3G icon has been changed and I'm getting much better 5 bars at my computer where I'd usually get 1 bar. Love it. I'll have to test for a few days how much better the battery performance is, may turn 3G off again if it's not as great as they say.

But apart from iPod, overall there isn't really much new features, just a whole lot of fixes to get things working the way 2.0 should've worked from the start. Not that they're not welcome changes.

Juice

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Ahh... maybe that's what I need to do.

That doesn't seem to be the case for me. I tap it and get the normal iPod control options.

I didn't either. The iBook I master my lib with is too slow for genius, so I didn't activate it. I think you have to (1) activate genius on the lib you sync with and (2) be logged into iTunes when you sync for it to work on the iPhone

VOOK

yeah I have a genius play list but the options still not coming up :/

edit: I am getting full reception though!

hirokazu

Kung Fu Jedi said:
So you tapped the album cover once? Previously, this brought up the track seeking, shuffle and repeat button, now they've added a big Genius button to the middle of it.

Also, there's a Genius option above the On-The-Go playlist if you tap Playlists.

I'm gonna give Safari a GAF stress test, see if it's gotten any better at holding up :p

Edit: Ugh, new GPRS icon is stupid. Might stick with 3G so I don't have that silly circle.

Setings > General > About now shows the carrier settings info installed on the phone, for example 'OPTUS 2.6'

VOOK

hirokazu said:
So you tapped the album cover once? Previously, this brought up the track seeking, shuffle and repeat button, now they've added a big Genius button to the middle of it.

Also, there's a Genius option above the On-The-Go playlist if you tap Playlists.

I'm gonna give Safari a GAF stress test, see if it's gotten any better at holding up :p

Edit: Ugh, new GPRS icon is stupid. Might stick with 3G so I don't have that silly circle.

Yep I did a sync AGAIN after the update with a Genius playlist and turned on and the big Genius thing now shows.

SuperPac

NekoFever said:
People on MacRumors are saying that their 3G reception is dramatically improved. Anyone here able to see what they're getting?

I'd say this is definitely correct. I NEVER used to get a 3G signal when sitting in my office at work. Now I not only have a signal but I have 3-4 bars!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
hirokazu said:
I'm liking this. Scrolling in various apps feels much smoother. First load for contacts is way faster. Genius playlists looks good for on the go. I hope they'll update the Remote app to allow you to tell iTunes to generate a Genius playlist.

Installing/updating apps directly from the phone is heaps faster too, and remembers the app's position when updating. I hated updating apps in 2.0 when I had to reposition them all the time!

3G icon has been changed and I'm getting much better 5 bars at my computer where I'd usually get 1 bar. Love it. I'll have to test for a few days how much better the battery performance is, may turn 3G off again if it's not as great as they say.

But apart from iPod, overall there isn't really much new features, just a whole lot of fixes to get things working the way 2.0 should've worked from the start. Not that they're not welcome changes.
YES!!

Juice said:
I didn't either. The iBook I master my lib with is too slow for genius, so I didn't activate it. I think you have to (1) activate genius on the lib you sync with and (2) be logged into iTunes when you sync for it to work on the iPhone

This did it. I signed into iTunes and did a sync. Genius buttons showed up immediately afterwards.

hirokazu

SuperPac said:
I'd say this is definitely correct. I NEVER used to get a 3G signal when sitting in my office at work. Now I not only have a signal but I have 3-4 bars!
Definitely. Like I said, I usually get 1 bar at my computer, and a maximum of 3 bars anywhere in my house. I'm now getting 4-5 bars at the computer.

Costanza said:
Oh fucking hell, 5 minutes and my backup is only at 2 bars. I hate this shit.

Mine ran a back-up post update when I did a sync, and it took less than 30 seconds. Hopefully the update will clear your issues.

hirokazu

dallow_bg said:
Haha, I intentionally held off on updating any apps for the last few days because I was anticipating not having to move things around in 2.1.

So it seems like Genius isn't enabled unless you sync while signed into your iTunes account?

I wonder why there's still no handwriting input for Japanese. Surely it can't be hard to make the one they have for Chinese also work for Japanese?

NekoFever

Is it safe to delete the old update ipsw files that iTunes keeps for older versions? I've now got 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2, and 2.1, all ~250MB each, and I can't see myself needing the old ones again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom