• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aku:jiki

Manics said:
"Includes bug fixes and improvements INCLUDING the following:"

Those 3 things aren't the only fixes, they just didn't list them all.
The only reason certain fixes are not listed in changelogs is because nobody cares about them.

NekoFever

aku:jiki said:
The only reason certain fixes are not listed in changelogs is because nobody cares about them.
Plus, there might be ones that Apple doesn't want to disclose, like maybe security vulnerabilities that aren't public.

Doesn't look like 3.1.2 fixes the smart playlist issue because my podcast one is still all out of order. Pain in the ass, but at least I (hopefully) have a functional phone again now. I just have to remember to uncheck live updating on the playlist every time I sync the phone until 3.1.3 or 3.2.

LCfiner

NekoFever said:
Plus, there might be ones that Apple doesn't want to disclose, like maybe security vulnerabilities that aren't public.

Doesn't look like 3.1.2 fixes the smart playlist issue because my podcast one is still all out of order. Pain in the ass, but at least I (hopefully) have a functional phone again now. I just have to remember to uncheck live updating on the playlist every time I sync the phone until 3.1.3 or 3.2.

:( ridiculous.

I think I'm going to jailbreak and load up the Vista Maximus Perfection theme. It's really nice, and I love how you can do the start button and have categories for your apps.

This video claims it's a way to jailbreak a 3.1 3gs on a Windows machine but I don't think I trust/believe it because if it's doable then why is everyone waiting for blackra1n?

Burger

jonnybryce said:
I think I'm going to jailbreak and load up the Vista Maximus Perfection theme. It's really nice, and I love how you can do the start button and have categories for your apps.

This video claims it's a way to jailbreak a 3.1 3gs on a Windows machine but I don't think I trust/believe it because if it's doable then why is everyone waiting for blackra1n?

Assuming you are not already on 3.1, it is possible. For people who are on 3.1 already, there is no solution.

whitehawk

Banned
Alright I know this isnt exactly iphone stuff here, but I got some questions about the iPod Touch. I just lost my 30gb video so I gotta get a new ipod :(

- Is the 64gb physically bigger than the 32gb?
- Is the battery life longer for one or the other?
- Any other differences besides price and hard drive size?

Burger said:
Assuming you are not already on 3.1, it is possible. For people who are on 3.1 already, there is no solution.
There's also a method for people who are on 3.1 but were jailbroken before upgrading (and used a Cydia feature to save the ECID to a file, which no one did). So 3.1 is possible, just not OOTB 3.1.

jts

...hate me...
Nice to know that blackra1n won't be affected. Can't. Wait. :D

whitehawk said:
Alright I know this isnt exactly iphone stuff here, but I got some questions about the iPod Touch. I just lost my 30gb video so I gotta get a new ipod :(

This thread should be for the iPhone AND the iPod touch too (it's the same platform) anyways, but the answer to all those questions is no.

Burger

aku:jiki said:
There's also a method for people who are on 3.1 but were jailbroken before upgrading (and used a Cydia feature to save the ECID to a file, which no one did). So 3.1 is possible, just not OOTB 3.1.

Yeah, but that window was only a couple of weeks, didn't feel it was worth mentioning.

Burger said:
Yeah, but that window was only a couple of weeks, didn't feel it was worth mentioning.
True enough! Oh well, as soon as Geohot hits that compile button, it'll all be good. :D

(He hit a delay, BTW, for those not following the tweets.)

Question regarding Bluetooth. I have tried using both my phone and my wifes but when turning on bluetooth both of our phones just continue showing "Searching... Now Discoverable" but our phones don't show the other. Mine is the 32GS and hers is the 8 3G.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What's up with lastfm sounding so much worse than pandora? Is that just on my end, or what? Pandora's pretty much cd quality but it gets repetitive.

DarkJC

I think when blackra1n is released I'm finally going to jailbreak my phone. The prospect of 3G unrestrictor is too good to pass up. Wanna play with backgrounder too.

LovingSteam said:
Question regarding Bluetooth. I have tried using both my phone and my wifes but when turning on bluetooth both of our phones just continue showing "Searching... Now Discoverable" but our phones don't show the other. Mine is the 32GS and hers is the 8 3G.

You won't be able to see devices like phones. Bluetooth is only used for headsets or a computer for tethering, or for peer to peer connectivity for games and stuff.

DarkJC said:
I think when blackra1n is released I'm finally going to jailbreak my phone. The prospect of 3G unrestrictor is too good to pass up. Wanna play with backgrounder too.

You won't be able to see devices like phones. Bluetooth is only used for headsets or a computer for tethering, or for peer to peer connectivity for games and stuff.

Well thats the thing. My wife and I are trying to play an airhockey game that uses bluetooth for multiplayer. Yet when we are trying to connect it just keeps on trying to find the other player.

Edit: Nevermind. Even though it says it needs a bluetooth connection it actually is a wifi connection it needs

jts

...hate me...
I've been wondering... with 3.1 JB'd how does app management on iTunes work? Does it show and lets you organize JB apps too?

whitehawk

Banned
whitehawk said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I JUST FOUND MY IPOD!!!

Now I don't have to buy a stupid touch!!!!!!

SO HAPPY

Help? Before 3.1 I had my phone jailbroken. I was using catagories and blank icons. I updated to 3.1 through iTunes and now none of the programs that were in folders show up...even if I uninstall and reinstall. Also, blank icons still show up when using the iTunes app manager. Any fixes for this?

xsarien

daedsiluap
The last firmware update was such a joke. I'm updating on the grounds that if it's somehow worse, it'll actually loop back around and be an improvement.

I've got a big group of dead pixels on my first generation ipod touch, I guess it's time to go for an iphone as soon as orange begin to stock them. Oh well my trusty ipod, you've served me well.

jts said:
omg, awesomesauce

Come on geohot, get your shit together :D
There's news now! Geohot is apparently struggling, while the appuloha1l team are not. They're claiming they're going to release a jailbreak that not only can unlock the latest baseband (which Geohot isn't even attempting), but it will be an app that intercepts iTunes updates in the future. And they're releasing it on sunday.

Sounds a little too good to be true, but here's the URL.

They have this proof, but it's a little easy to shop...

tumblr_kr885iLowE1qza8h5.jpg

crispyben

So, I finally made the jump and ordered by black 16 GB iPhone 3GS yesterday. I switch carriers on Nov. 13, so in the meantime I need to find the best case for it. What are your recommendations?

Fuck yeah! I'm excited. I really want to add more functionality to my 3GS. I've seen some cool stuff from app folders to "today screens" on the lock screen with everything you need to know like appointments and sms, so I'm ready to cross over.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
This is literally one of the greatest inventions. Ever.

DieH@rd

Banned
Im thinking about buying iPhone maybe.

Can someone tell me is there any performance differences between original model and 3G?

bionic77

crispyben said:
So, I finally made the jump and ordered by black 16 GB iPhone 3GS yesterday. I switch carriers on Nov. 13, so in the meantime I need to find the best case for it. What are your recommendations?
I love my Vaja case. It is expensive but I justified the expense by convincing myself it would differentiate my iPhone from everyone else's iPhone.

Blackhead

Redarse
TheWiicast said:
Help? Before 3.1 I had my phone jailbroken. I was using catagories and blank icons. I updated to 3.1 through iTunes and now none of the programs that were in folders show up...even if I uninstall and reinstall. Also, blank icons still show up when using the iTunes app manager. Any fixes for this?
If you can rejailbreak and clear it all up, that's your best bet.

Is the Settings App hidden as well? Did you try this:
9) If you have hidden any apps using poof, sbsettings, bossprefs or such, you should unhide them all prior to updating to avoid issues. Go to settings, enable restrictions, enter a password, then disable restrictions. That should unhide all apps you care about making you update worthy in one easy step.

Little you can do about the blank icons I'm afraid except putting them on the last page or something. Hmm... did you do an 'Upgrade' or a 'Restore' when updating to 3.1?

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Shoot me.
Make a new thread with a much better, regularly updated OP

DarkJC

TheWiicast said:

Worst case scenario would be you'll have to restore as a new phone. Try what Charred recommended above first, though, to keep all your preferences intact.

Shoot me.
Oh, you don't even hang out in this thread, you whiny bitch.

I personally prefer caseless, so I use an InvisibleShield. It makes the touch slightly less sensitive, but you forget that pretty quickly. My friend has an iFrog which I quite like as well.

But this is the coolest (if useless) case:

invisual_case4.jpg

crispyben

Shoot me.
Charred Greyface said:
Make a new thread with a much better, regularly updated OP
Does this mean my question has been answered somwhere before? If so, can you please point me in the right direction? Thanks.

bionic77 said:
I love my Vaja case. It is expensive but I justified the expense by convincing myself it would differentiate my iPhone from everyone else's iPhone.
Thanks for the advice.

crispyben said:
Does this mean my question has been answered somwhere before? If so, can you please point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Thanks for the advice.

Personally I liked the Speck Candy Shell, but the new black ones seem to be made poorly. My sister has a pink one that is better quality so open it in the store to check, it's a cool case just adds a little bulk. The iFrogz is also pretty good, as is anything by Otterbox. iSkin makes good ones, particuarly the solo. There are a lot of case reviews on youtube, such as its itsmemorphious if you want to see a wide variety of cases in depth.

The screen is strong glass and doesn't get scratched easily at all, I've never had mine covered. The back is a little more delicate but I've decided to simply not care about a few scratches that may happen and go caseless, it's such a nice phone to cover. If you feel the same you might want to look into leather sleeves that you slide into for storage and take out to use.

And yes, your question along with app recommendations reoccurs every few pages, I only typed this out of procrastination at work.

crispyben

jonnybryce said:
And yes, your question along with app recommendations reoccurs every few pages, I only typed this out of procrastination at work.
Hurrah for procrastination, then. I'm not above reading a hundred-page thread, but 454 is too much even for me, another procrastinator :D

LCfiner

there’s also 2 other app/ game recommendation threads in the forum.

plus, y’know, the entire web. Google top 10 iPhone apps. bam.

Blackhead

Redarse
crispyben said:
Hurrah for procrastination, then. I'm not above reading a hundred-page thread, but 454 is too much even for me, another procrastinator :D
Did you try a search on GAF then? You'll get much better replies if you have a few in mind and ask about specific models (well, there is a sizable group here that thinks iPhones shouldn't be besmirched with cloaking contraptions, but they're all crazy :p, so don't listen to them). Skim iDesign: The Art of Designing Great iPod and iPhone Cases, glance at a few reviews and then, if you still care about the GAF hivemind, ask away. I use a Griffin Reveal and don't regret the purchase.

Losing iReligion
A great deal has been written about the App Store, both good and bad, and much of it comes from developers I know and respect. It almost seems pointless to add my own thoughts to those who are more widely known and respected than I am, but given how my feelings have evolved regarding the App Store recently I think it’s worth a shot. If what I have to say gives a potential iPhone developer reason pause and re-examine their entry into the space then it will have been worth it.

The App Store is broken. I know from the outside glancing in, it may not look that way but it is. It also doesn’t seem like it’s broken from Apple’s point of view since the store and its tens of thousands of software titles have helped place the iPhone firmly at the head of the smart phone industry. But speaking as a small developer who’s been releasing Mac software for over a decade, the App Store is broken. The ironic part is that if you had asked me this a few months ago I would have denied it with my dying breath...

The two App Stores
Ged Maheux of the Iconfactory recently wrote Losing iReligion, in which he criticizes the business prospects of the App Store. He cites some general concerns, but much of the post is based on the unfortunate commercial failure of their Ramp Champ game...

What happened? As usual, I have a theory: there are two App Stores...

These two stores exist in completely different ecosystems with completely different requirements, priorities, and best practices.

But they’re not two different stores (“Are you getting it?”). There’s just one App Store at a casual glance, but if you misunderstand which of these segments you’re targeting, you’ll have a very hard time getting anywhere...

Many of Ged’s complaints — in fact, many of everyone’s complaints relating to App Store economics, promotion, and ranking — only apply to App Store A. He’s right to condemn the practical economics of it and question whether to invest significant resources into it again.

But App Store B is doing fine. It’s remarkably stable. This is the store I live in with Instapaper and happily share with many extremely talented developers, including Loren, James, Adam and Cameron, Jeff and Garrett, and — unquestionably — the Iconfactory...

Both articles have lots of interesting embedded links and the gedblog post has about 30 useful comments.

Manics

Banned
Anyone notice any bug fixes / improvements that weren't listed by Apple in 3.1.2? I haven't gotten the "wake from sleep" bug that I used to get so that seems fixed, haven't really noticed anything else. It's too soon to tell if battery life is any better with this build.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've been with this thread since the beginning but I can't fault people for asking the FAQs. Someone should make a new topic with a regularly updated OP. That way, we can just point them in that direction rather than having to answer over and over. This thread is huge; no one needs to bother with looking through it past a few pages back. A spectacular OP would solve those problems for everyone.

Now, the question is who's willing to do it.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Bboy AJ said:
I've been with this thread since the beginning but I can't fault people for asking the FAQs. Someone should make a new topic with a regularly updated OP. That way, we can just point them in that direction rather than having to answer over and over. This thread is huge; no one needs to bother with looking through it past a few pages back. A spectacular OP would solve those problems for everyone.

Yeah, someone does need to do this. This thread is approaching 500 pages, it's impossible to wade through.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Bboy AJ said:

i would totally read that. i have a new itouch and i don't even know half of what it does, especially in terms of shortcuts and the like. the little pamphlet that comes with it is pretty bad too.

jts

...hate me...
Here's a contribute to that brave new thread:

Please put the iPod touch on the title too.

on-topic: where is my damn blackra1n :mad:

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Shoot me.
I'll take it, you, much like me, hate those rubber sleeves and cases, right?

Well, the other day my brand new 3GS fell out of pocket while I was sitting in the cinema theatre, dropped on the ground from a very low height (30cm maybe), but seemingly in a worst possible way. Glass got dents in approx 4 places, and cracked in one place near the edge, and silver outline got dents in two places. Even though all the affected areas are outside of visible screen, I can probably pretty much forget about ever selling this for a decent amount of money now, and instead of looking at an ugly rubber case, now I look at dents and screen crack. I wish now I had a case at least for carrying the thing around in the pocket, even if I would remove it from it every time I get to work or home, and put phone on the desk.

At this point though, I don't care anymore. If it gets damaged significantly more, I'll probably have to get a new one, and as it is, it makes no difference if I prevent any more smaller dents. The damage is already done.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
If the mods approved I wouldn't mind starting up the new thread with all sorts of infoz and keep it up to date.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
RubxQub said:
If the mods approved I wouldn't mind starting up the new thread with all sorts of infoz and keep it up to date.

I don't see what the problem would be, duder. Do it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom