• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ghost said:
Breaking your phone doesnt get you out of the contract, If you have insurance, it could get you a new handset free..that's about it.

Most likely though you will get a refurbished unit. Or if they don't have that specific model in stock you may be lucky enough to get an upgrade or a phone similar to the one you had.

aoi tsuki

Ghost said:
Breaking your phone doesnt get you out of the contract, If you have insurance, it could get you a new handset free..that's about it.
Depends on your insurance contract. Usually, you'll pay a deductible and get a phone similar to the one you lost. If you've got a highend model breaking it to get another phone would pretty much mean a downgrade.

aoi tsuki said:
Depends on your insurance contract. Usually, you'll pay a deductible and get a phone similar to the one you lost. If you've got a highend model breaking it to get another phone would pretty much mean a downgrade.

Ahhhh, yes. I forgot about that pesky deductible. It sure beats buying a new phone though.

aoi tsuki

maximum360 said:
Ahhhh, yes. I forgot about that pesky deductible. It sure beats buying a new phone though.
Only if you have an old phone IMO. In terms with the iPhone, i'd go with AppleCare over insurance. Won't cover loss or theft, but there's no chance you'd be able to get a refurb iPhone for the first year or so, not that i'd want one as a refurb.

aoi tsuki said:
Only if you have an old phone IMO. In terms with the iPhone, i'd go with AppleCare over insurance. Won't cover loss or theft, but there's no chance you'd be able to get a refurb iPhone for the first year or so, not that i'd want one as a refurb.

How do you figure no chance on a refurb? There will be iPhone refurbs in the first year for sure.

aoi tsuki said:

I'd take my chances with insurance specifically because it covers my phone for loss, theft, or damage. Even if it's a refurb (and they're usually in very good condition), insurance is so worthwhile in the end.

Blutonium

Kung Fu Jedi said:
You need a Wiki to tell you when it's a good time to buy a Mac? Depending on the model you're looking for, wait until WWDC next week. Otherwise, just buy one. It's like any other computer. It's going to be replaced with something new eventually, so you just have to bite the bullet and buy at some point.

Edit: I'll help you out some. TODAY is the best day to buy a MacBook Pro.

No.

I just want to know when it's a good time to buy the iPhone. I don't know when the revision will arrive, the Wiki does.

Blutonium said:
No.

I just want to know when it's a good time to buy the iPhone. I don't know when the revision will arrive, the Wiki does.

Um...I hate to tell this, but no Wiki is going to have reliable information on when a revision for the iPhone is going to be out.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
yayaba said:
The buying guide is on Macrumors. Dig around the site somewhere, it should be pretty easy to find.

But there's been NO iPhone revisions! That's the damn point ;) The buyer's guide takes a look at how long apple product lines have gone between updates, and then lets you know if one is due. They can't exactly do that with the iphone, eh?

SuperPac

Blutonium said:
No.

Yeah but the macrumors buyer's guide only gives you an average time to a revision... and there has to be one or two of those before you can start getting an accurate read. It's a great tool to use when buying an existing product line, but the iPhone'll be so new they'd have nothing to base it off anyway. They don't even list the Apple TV up there and that has already had one revision.

Fusebox

Banned
maximum360 said:
Your options are almost endless. There's a ton of software out there.

Right now one of the coolest things you can do is use Orb.

Yeah Orb is awesome, I run it on my N95 - it means I can leave all my vids and mp3s on my home PC and stream them anywhere I feel like watching and listening to them. Its a powerful combo with the phones TV-out as well. And Voip apps are handy too coz I also use the handset for Skype calls whenever I'm in range of my home network (or anyone elses unsecure wireless networks hehe). Don't forget games either, whether you're on WM5/6 or S60 there's stacks of decent phone games already out.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Fusebox said:
Yeah Orb is awesome, I run it on my N95 - it means I can leave all my vids and mp3s on my home PC and stream them anywhere I feel like watching and listening to them. Its a powerful combo with the phones TV-out as well. And Voip apps are handy too coz I also use the handset for Skype calls whenever I'm in range of my home network (or anyone elses unsecure wireless networks hehe). Don't forget games either, whether you're on WM5/6 or S60 there's stacks of decent phone games already out.

So you can access all videos on your cellphone? Or do they have to be .wmv files?

And what is the video clarity like while streaming videos of the go? Is it clear at all?

Fusebox

Banned
Yep all your vids, it converts them for you on the fly and the amount compression depends on your connection speed.

Just a hunch, but I'm guessing Apple isn't in any hurry to see the Orb software or the SlingPlayer on the iPhone, as they can cut directly into video sales on iTunes.

yayaba

Fusebox said:
Yep all your vids, it converts them for you on the fly and the amount compression depends on your connection speed.

Is it compatible with DVR-MS? That's the only video format I watch (basically the stuff my Media Center PC records).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Fusebox said:

Man that's great. So I can watch all my pr0n in any hotel I want to eh? Geez those in hotel videos will lose all kinds of money to IT guys on business trips now. :lol

I'm loving 3rd party support now.

yayaba said:
Is it compatible with DVR-MS? That's the only video format I watch (basically the stuff my Media Center PC records).

Yes. I have an HD dual tuner connected to my pc as well (HD HomeRun) and I record stuff in HD daily. Converts that on the fly to the resolution and bitrate I set for my pda as well.

Fusebox

Banned
Hey I've got a USB HDTV tuner lying around at home too but I never thought to hook it up for Orb streaming - I might muck around with it on the weekend and see if I can get it to work.

GeMiNii

Man, every time I watch the Calamari commerical, the more my lust for this thing rises. I like my 8525, but the elegance of design on that thing just completely obliterates anything else out there.

Hopefully Steve will announce this thing is 3G/HSDPA compatible so I won't be suffering too much in that regard, and I can run firefox instead of Safari. I'm still wondering what features Apple is hiding under their hats on this, they've had almost 6 months to refine what already looked like a late beta product when it was shown.

adelante

Fusebox said:
Yeah Orb is awesome, I run it on my N95 - it means I can leave all my vids and mp3s on my home PC and stream them anywhere I feel like watching and listening to them.
WOW...why did I not know of this earlier.....currently own a Dopod838Pro (HTC Hermes/TyTN for most of you peeps) so I'mma go try this out!

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Does anyone know what kind of monthly plan At&t is going to attach to the iPhone?

ckohler

They haven't disclosed what the data plans will by like yet. The rep I spoke to today at a local AT&T corporate store said she might know more around a week before it comes out but so far their higher-ups haven't told them. She did seem pretty confident that the basic call plans will be the same.

She said that the only places you'll be able to get it on day one will be at Apple stores and corporate AT&T stores and said that each AT&T corporate store is definately going to have the phone to sell, how many is uncertain (could be one, could be ten, nobody knows). AT&T resellers will *not* have it.

She also said demand for the iPhone has been pretty high in her store and people have already been calling asking what time they will open on the 29th. I may have to camp out. :D

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Haha, now that you mention it, I wouldn't be surprised to see iPhones going for $1000 or more on eBay. Assuming they actually let you buy out of the 2 year contract that is.

ckohler said:
Apple just posted a fourth TV spot, illistrating my favorite iPhone feature:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad4/

apple ads just work very well, I don't think its like other products don't have this feature by now but it is presented so well that one would believe only the iPhone can do this :)

I'm going to save up for one of these no doubt by the end of the year I should have one

Fusebox

Banned
Accept and decline buttons reversed compared to most other handsets?

Crazy Apple, always gotta do things in reverse. Close/minimise windows anybody?

JoeMartin

Slighty OT, but does anyone know if Apple plans to bring the iPhone interface the iPod, somewhere along the lines of strip out the phone/wireless interweb stuff, throw in a hard drive and keep the huge screen and touch interface?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
JoeMartin said:
Slighty OT, but does anyone know if Apple plans to bring the iPhone interface the iPod, somewhere along the lines of strip out the phone/wireless interweb stuff, throw in a hard drive and keep the huge screen and touch interface?

That will almost certainly be the 6G iPods, which would normally be available September-November time.

Although how that would tie in with a European iPhone launch I don't know, as they wouldn't want anything to take the shine off that. New iPod launches have always been worldwide uptil now, and unlike the phone with it's network lock there's no reason not to import one. Delaying an iPod launch in Europe would be an importers dream.

HTC Touch

medium_533285366_148cc6d303_o.jpg

medium_533382311_01365050a5_o.jpg

That thing is really tiny.

One thing of note. The "Requires 2 Year Contract" wording is now gone from the iPhone ads on TV and on the Apple site. Very intresting!

Fusebox

Banned
imastalker co. said:
look, we get it. you're sad cause it's not gonna be in australia any time soon.

no need need to troll it though.

Ease up on the tears and daft excuses there bubs, I watched that video ckohler just posted and I noticed the reversed incoming call button arrangement for the first time and commented on it. I sure as hell don't make anti-iPhone posts because I enjoy reading you whinge and whine every single time someone posts anything other than blind fanboy praise.

ckohler

Just noticed this: Either this is webpage is just a mockup of the New York Times website or it's real and that is a working embedded Flash player on the left.

flashvideo.jpg

Nick

ant1532 said:
They all look so cheap and fugly compared to the Iphone, I'm sorry but if I'm paying hundreds of bucks for a phone I don't want it lookin like some cheap crap.
What? The HTC Touch looks good.

icecream

Public Health Threat
I like this phone.

The interface, the style, the way the touchscreen works...

The only thing making me weary is the current absence of CDMA, durability, and the fact that I'll probably wait for a revision first.

TheWolf said:

I mentioned that several posts, and several hours, before yours, but it certainly is interesting. There are some rumors about possible iPhone Pre-paid contracts or pay as you go contracts. I wish they would spill the beans on what the data plans are going to cost.

Also of interest, Gizmodo posted a story yesterday from an "insider" who they call a very trusted and proven source, who had some thoughts ont he iPhone. One of the things of interest was that he didn't feel it was worth the price (Gizmodo disagreed) but he also noted that the iPhone has a super secret feature that has yet to be revealed, and even this insider didn't know what it was yet. Very interesting. Hopefully some of this stuff will come out at WWDC next week.

Link:http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/an-insiders-iphone-hands+on--new-details-266469.php

ant1532 said:
You guys get this email?

Iphone.jpg

They all look so cheap and fugly compared to the Iphone, I'm sorry but if I'm paying hundreds of bucks for a phone I don't want it lookin like some cheap crap.

O_O

I have to disagree with you there (at least for two in the middle). iPhone does a few things well. It has a nice interface and a few cool options but after the novelty wears off you'll probably start to see how limited it is. For Windows Mobile devices, the software options are almost endless. This will not be the case here. Also, no querty keyboard is a no buy for me, period. After you've been using a querty keyboard for a while on a pda, I can't imagine going back to one without it. Also, be sure to find a good screen protector before or immediately after purchase. I think a lot of people will be upset after the screen gets scratched.

The iPhone coming is a good thing though. Competition will force the designers of Windows Mobile devices to not only come out with compelling hardware and software but to have a better interface as well. The HTC Titan seems to do many things quite well but as with everything it has its quirks. For one there's a proprietary slot for earphones to be connected. You have to buy a mini-usb type adapter to connect standard earphones. I guess they did this in order to have only one slot for charging, transferring data, and for using earphones. Bad design decision. Also, the memory card slot is on the bottom of the device. Not a good idea if your card gets loos (but that's currently an extremely rare even with the HTC Apache, it's predecessor). Also, IR is at the bottom of the unit. Only a slight annoyance since I almost never use this.

maximum360 said:
I have to disagree with you there (at least for two in the middle). iPhone does a few things well. It has a nice interface and a few cool options but after the novelty wears off you'll probably start to see how limited it is. For Windows Mobile devices, the software options are almost endless. This will not be the case here. Also, no querty keyboard is a no buy for me, period. After you've been using a querty keyboard for a while on a pda, I can't imagine going back to one without it. Also, be sure to find a good screen protector before or immediately after purchase. I think a lot of people will be upset after the screen gets scratched.

I would agree with you that some of these newer Windows Mobile devices are pretty nice looking. That Samsung posted further up the page looks very nice imho, and on par witht the iPhone in design. The qwerty keyboard is a matter of preference though. I'll reserve judgement on that until after I've tried the iPhone's keyboard. No tactile response will take a little getting use to, but those who have used it say that it's not too long and you don't even notice any more.

As for a screen protector, the screen is said to be coated with an anti-scratch coating to help prevent those issues. People said the same thing about the PSP, and my launch system doesn't have a single scratch on it.

And of course the iPhone isn't going to have the options for software upon release, but third party apps are coming, and the Mac community loves to create new apps. The fact that it runs OS X means that applications can be ported to it very quickly, so once it's open for new software, you'll see a lot of new programs very quickly. It'll close the gap in terms of quality software on these devices very fast.

SonnyBoy

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I would agree with you that some of these newer Windows Mobile devices are pretty nice looking. That Samsung posted further up the page looks very nice imho, and on par witht the iPhone in design. The qwerty keyboard is a matter of preference though. I'll reserve judgement on that until after I've tried the iPhone's keyboard. No tactile response will take a little getting use to, but those who have used it say that it's not too long and you don't even notice any more.

As for a screen protector, the screen is said to be coated with an anti-scratch coating to help prevent those issues. People said the same thing about the PSP, and my launch system doesn't have a single scratch on it.

And of course the iPhone isn't going to have the options for software upon release, but third party apps are coming, and the Mac community loves to create new apps. The fact that it runs OS X means that applications can be ported to it very quickly, so once it's open for new software, you'll see a lot of new programs very quickly. It'll close the gap in terms of quality software on these devices very fast.

Stop making it sound reasonable to own, Im trying to hold out! :lol

SonnyBoy said:
Stop making it sound reasonable to own, Im trying to hold out! :lol

Give in! You know you want one! ;)

I want one pretty badly as well, but I'm holding out to see what the voice and data plans are going to be like. Rumors persist that there are going to be "special" iPhone plans, so we just have to wait and see.

Draft

I have basically 0 interest in an i-phone, but DAMN this thread is giving me a boner for a smart phone of some sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom