• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Fusebox said:
xnipx they're both great looking touch-screen phones with mid-range technology, seems like a perfectly fair comparison to me.

Here's another phone for the mix:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/like-the...vealed-its-actually-got-some-juice-261388.php

Most of the Meizu specs are even higher than the iPhone like the screen res, GPS, 3mp camera etc.

Quick question though, my phones TV-out is limited to 640 x 480, whats the TV-out specs on the iPhone?

That thing looks great.. but I see the story comes from Akihabara News. Do their products even get distributed in America? :\

Fusebox said:
Accept and decline buttons reversed compared to most other handsets?

Crazy Apple, always gotta do things in reverse. Close/minimise windows anybody?

I noticed that too... I imagine it'd get annoying after a while.

ckohler

Napoleonthechimp said:
I noticed that too... I imagine it'd get annoying after a while.
Maybe compared to other phones but traditionally, cancel (back) buttons are on the left while accept (forward) buttons are located to the right according to Apple's interface guidelines.

ckohler said:
Maybe compared to other phones but traditionally, cancel (back) buttons are on the left while accept (forward) buttons are located to the right according to Apple's interface guidelines.

That would take a bit of getting used to after doing it the other way for many years.

ant1532

Banned
The only thing that makes me really mad about the phone that it can't freaking use the songs you have on it as ring tones!!! Wtf is up with this and why!?

TiVo

iPhone = PSP when it comes to movies, tv shows & videos. Great screen but 4-8 gigs?

60-80 gigs means just adding new vids and not worrying about space.
Download from itunes and sync. TiVo2Go and sync. No thinking about it.

4-8 gigs means deciding which show/movie/video do I need to delete today to make room for the new stuff. And that is like having a part time job.

I will wait for the fullscreen iPod. And you know it's coming.

maynerd

Banned
ant1532 said:
The only thing that makes me really mad about the phone that it can't freaking use the songs you have on it as ring tones!!! Wtf is up with this and why!?

Perhaps it would take a few seconds to launch a player that could read and play the MP3 for the ring? I really don't know why but I thought maybe this might be a reason.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
ant1532 said:

Duration maybe? Or does it not support mp3 ringtones? Haven't been following this thing much re: standard features/

xsarien

daedsiluap
ant1532 said:

A lot of phones have a cap on file size and/or duration of ring tones. You can probably make a clip and upload it seperately as just the ringtone. Besides, do you really want the entire song to play when the phone rings?

(Note that I'm in no way encouraging the use of songs as ringtones. Frankly, they make me want to punch people.)

ant1532 said:

How do you know this? I've not read this anywhere, and we don't have an iPhone available for reviews yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't allow you to use .mp3 files as ringtones.

Most other phones that don't allow this are because they are trying to sell your ringtones. iTunes is trying to do the same thing, so it may require the ringtone to be an iTunes file or something. But up until now, I haven't heard a single word about ringtones at all.

ant1532

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
How do you know this? I've not read this anywhere, and we don't have an iPhone available for reviews yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't allow you to use .mp3 files as ringtones.

Most other phones that don't allow this are because they are trying to sell your ringtones. iTunes is trying to do the same thing, so it may require the ringtone to be an iTunes file or something. But up until now, I haven't heard a single word about ringtones at all.
I read it somewhere but I can't remember but I did just find this which differs from what I said.

Ilounge said:
# Can alternate ring tones be selected?

* Yes, however your iTunes Music cannot be selected as a ring tone.

ant1532 said:
I read it somewhere but I can't remember but I did just find this which differs from what I said.

Who are they quoting there? Someone on the iPhone dev team? I don't think we'll know anything for sure about the ringtones until it comes out, but it's kind of silly if doesn't allow us to use custom ringtones from our iTunes library, even if we have to shorten them down some.

okno

ant1532 said:

It's very likely that they're saying full songs from your iTunes can't be used, but you'll be able to make 30 second or so clips and use those. My SonyEricsson phone won't let me use any sound file that is longer than 30 seconds as a ringtone, but anything under 30 is kosher.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
John Harker said:
l_20070208.jpg

When do we get this?

http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/PressRelease/PressRelease.asp?seq=20070208_0000320566#

I don't know. But I will be getting it when it comes out. Though I did just buy a Q last week.

ant1532 said:
I'm calling it's a app that lets you pick parts of your songs to choose as your ringtone.

Could be. Or perhaps mobile iTunes for buying and downloading music on the go. Which would be sweet.

They haven't announced a chat program yet either, which I wouldn't call "Super Secret", but I would think iChat has to be coming to this thing at some point.

ckohler

ant1532 said:
I'm calling it's a app that lets you pick parts of your songs to choose as your ringtone.
My bet is a YouTube app. Here's a quote from Jobs directly after the MacWorld keynote when asked if you'll be able to use YouTube (the flash player on their website) on the iPhone:

Markoff: “What about YouTube–”

Jobs: “Yeah, YouTube—of course. But you don’t need to have Flash to show YouTube. All you need to do is deal with YouTube. And plus, we could get ‘em to up their video resolution at the same time, by using h.264 instead of the old codec.

SonnyBoy

My concern is battery life...

I've had my PPC-6700 for a year now and it doesn't stay charged for more than 3 hours at most. I have to keep it plugged up at this point.

Battery life will be interesting. At least you can charge it over USB, which will make it easier to keep the battery at a workable level. But, yeah it'll be interesting to see wha the "real world" battery life will be like.

ant1532

Banned
ckohler said:
My bet is a YouTube app. Here's a quote from Jobs directly after the MacWorld keynote when asked if you'll be able to use YouTube (the flash player on their website) on the iPhone:

Markoff: “What about YouTube–”

Jobs: “Yeah, YouTube—of course. But you don’t need to have Flash to show YouTube. All you need to do is deal with YouTube. And plus, we could get ‘em to up their video resolution at the same time, by using h.264 instead of the old codec.
That sounds more like he's referring to AppleTV

SonnyBoy said:

I've had my PPC-6700 for a year now and it doesn't stay charged for more than 3 hours at most. I have to keep it plugged up at this point.

wow. You must have really been hard on the battery.

I still have a clunky Samsung 1700 lying around. It's several years old but the batteries still hold a charge with no trouble. (My wife uses it for GPS.)

Fortunately, WM devices have been able to use mp3s, WAV files, WMAs, etc. as ringtones for years. I haven't done this lately but I would either find the instrumental version of songs or try to strip the songs down to instrumental only and use a portion of the song for my ringtone.

It's severely annoying to hear a loud and obnoxous ring tone (usually of the R&B variety) starting mid song with someone bellowing (or trying to sing).

ckohler

What I've read is that the iPhone actually has two batteries inside. One for the radio and the other for the computer.

ckohler said:
What I've read is that the iPhone actually has two batteries inside. One for the radio and the other for the computer.

In this day and age, not being able to swap the batteries out is kinda lame. (I hated this with the ipaqs from a few years ago.)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
SonnyBoy said:

What do you do on it to make the battery life drain fast like that?

mckmas8808 said:

I believe if you let Lithium Ion batteries totally discharge too often that can be the end result. Otherwise the battery could be faulty or if he's constantly connected and using data it will drain the batteries. I think if I streamed live tv via orb I could probably only get a few hours worth. But that's with all devices.

I don't think it's as big of an issue now but a few years ago, devices with wifi paid a harsh battery life penatly to stay connected.

SuperPac

Eh, eff it. I've decided that as a 30th birthday gift to myself I'm gonna buy an iPhone. Why the hell not? I'm not married, no kids, no mortgage, almost no debt. I've been interested in smartphones but never pulled the trigger on one because few of them sync with the Mac and too many are very focused on business functions I would have no use for.

I'm hoping that Business Week's report that they're going to have 3 million units available on launch day is true. I don't want to have to line up for one a la PS3/Xbox 360. :'( I promised myself "no more lining up overnight for anything."

If it plays Flash and has an iChat program in there, all's the better.

SonnyBoy

mckmas8808 said:

I use the EV-DO for web surfing and use media player a lot also....well at least I used to.

Sprint has a plan where you kick out some extra cheese and get a "free" battery replacement each year. They know these batteries won't last with all the features the devices have. If I can't swap the battery out myself, then it kills my interest. But Im a tech whore and try to ignore it. :lol

SonnyBoy said:
I use the EV-DO for web surfing and use media player a lot also....well at least I used to.

Sprint has a plan where you kick out some extra cheese and get a "free" battery replacement each year. They know these batteries won't last with all the features the devices have. If I can't swap the battery out myself, then it kills my interest. But Im a tech whore and try to ignore it. :lol

If you have the insurance you could just have them replace the battery if you believe it's faulty.

Christopher

SuperPac said:
Eh, eff it. I've decided that as a 30th birthday gift to myself I'm gonna buy an iPhone. Why the hell not? I'm not married, no kids, no mortgage, almost no debt. I've been interested in smartphones but never pulled the trigger on one because few of them sync with the Mac and too many are very focused on business functions I would have no use for.

I'm hoping that Business Week's report that they're going to have 3 million units available on launch day is true. I don't want to have to line up for one a la PS3/Xbox 360. :'( I promised myself "no more lining up overnight for anything."

If it plays Flash and has an iChat program in there, all's the better.

:eek:

ant1532

Banned
ckohler said:
I'm pretty sure your just thinking of the rumor that came out before the phone was announced. I'm pretty sure that Jobs confirmed it to be have one battery and it's life.

imastalker co. said:
so now that everyone can essentially make apps for the iphone, has anyones perspective on it changed?

Not really. It's not like they're full apps. Performance will be some what limited. I'd rather they released a true SDK and opened up the device to installable applications.

Futureman

Honestly, I think the 3rd party solution is pretty weak going by the presentation at the keynote, but I never thought 3rd party apps were really necessary in the first place. iPhone looks pretty damn perfect as it is.

I'll bet we'll be pretty impressed with some of the things that will show up this way though. There will be some pretty cool stuff I bet. But, will you need to have an Internet connection to use these apps?

xsarien

daedsiluap
ant1532 said:
Another question, can you use google maps without wi-fi?

It'd be kinda useless otherwise. :) But AT&T's data charges are a little..pricey. Be careful.

imastalker co. said:
it's pretty much always connected via edge, but when you're in a wifi zone, it'll automatically connect to the network behind the scenes.

Assuming it's not protected. Or behind a ToS acceptance. Or fee-based. Or not operating on 802.11a or 802.11n. Or, hell, I doubt it'll just pluck an access point out of thin air and connect without consulting the user first.

aoi tsuki

ant1532 said:
Another question, can you use google maps without wi-fi?
Of course. You'd likely need either a cell or WiFi connection to use it, since it pulls map data from servers anytime you move the map outside of the preloaded area.

MIMIC

Banned
OK, I really had no interest in this thing (despite the barrage of commercials), but for some reason, I'm starting to come around. The thought of eBaying my 5th gen iPod just crossed my mind.

2 questions:

1) Does this thing have a speaker so you can play music without headphones?

2) I convert videos (movies, tv shows, etc) to mp4 format so I can watch them on my television screen via my iPod (with a standard video cord that I got from Radio Shack). Will I still be able to watch movies like this with an iPhone?

EDIT: Nevermind :lol I see that it's only 4GB/8GB. I have too much music/video space to completely ditch my iPod.

EDIT #2: I'm not COMPLETELY out of the game yet, so I still pose those questions.

ant1532

Banned
xsarien said:
It'd be kinda useless otherwise. :) But AT&T's data charges are a little..pricey. Be careful.
Can you or someone else tell me what they are? I tried looking on the official site but I'm retarded with stuff like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom