• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

ec0ec0

Decided to check how the iPhone X would've looked with a bezel on top instead of the notch. I think it looks a lot better.

FUg1Nzj.jpg

still looks very weird because the corners are now rounded on the botton but not on the top.

The part of the screen that turns black, on the top, would have to be so that the corners are also rounded. However, the corners on the top wouldn't match the ones in the botton if you did that...

i guess that's why they keep it like that? (without turning it to black). So that all four corner's are rounded and match each other?

Frodo

For people worried about video playback, there's an option to letterbox so the notch doesn't crop it, even at resolutions wider than 16:9.

musicapp90seh.png

Oh wow... that looks even.. worse? They should have made the phone with a different screen ratio, so if it excludes the notch it doesn't need the letterbox on all the sides.

number11

I understand why it's more expensive.. but it is annoying how they introduced a 'premium' model, when it should really just be the main flagship device. The 8 is now just a SE type device.

The iPhone lineup is a mess. If the X sells well, they are definitely gonna continue with that price point for future phones.

reKon

Banned
Apple has been out designed by multiple company's on outward aesthetics. But damn this phone is crazy internally. Wait until the fanboys go nuts over the synthetic benchmarks, lol.

Dual camaera and one with 4K 60fps video and battery life seems to be very nice improvements. Apple benefiting from the video playback battery life from that OLED display.

Given the amount of tech they had to pack in for FaceID, the notch seems unavoidable unless they were to make an entire line out of the bezel on top, which I think would look worse. This isn't a "cutting corners" thing, it's just how it has to be for the tech to fit in the phone.

For people worried about video playback, there's an option to letterbox so the notch doesn't crop it, even at resolutions wider than 16:9.

musicapp90seh.png

Maybe it's just the angle but that photo looks terrible. lol

Jeffrey

Does it support fast wireless charging? Normal wireless charging takes like 5+ hrs to top up a phone I think while fast takes about 3.

Normal is so slow that I get like 3% back when I get a coffee at Starbucks lol.

And yeah there are a bunch of side bezels which is a bummer.

Any footage of legacy apps on the phone? Just borders on top and bottom?

How about reachability mode?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The price is a joke. This is half the price

How can anyone justify this? Also before anyone talks about customer service, you could lose this phone, buy another and still come out ahead.

It's a good looking phone with a great screen and I suspect it'll be a pretty good phone to use--although the fact that they call it a "concept" rather than a phone and that it's 6.44" diagonal might make it really hard to actually use, that's larger than the Note by a longshot, right?

But other than edge-to-edge OLED screen it doesn't have many of the features that compete with the $600-800 flagship range (i.e. S8/Pixel XL/iPhone 8), it's not sold in any country except China (and if you import you'll be paying above the $500 list price) -- and yes, customer service matters, because you want your local phone guy to be able to fix your display for $70 or whatever if you drop it instead of having to throw out the phone.

Sec0nd

Watched some quick hands on footage from The Verge and other outlets. The phone does actually look really pretty in a real life setting. No doubting that. Can't wait to see it in person.

The security issue with FaceID is shockingly apperent though. I respect the amount of tech that they had to cram into that camera. It's insane what they needed to properly pull it off. And fit it in there. But man... Just look at The Verge video. You can just literally grabs someones phone, point it at their face and you've now unlocked their phones.

I love new tech and can get really obsessed by it. But at this point it feels like I'm trying to force myself to like, or be interested in the X. Other than the screen there aren't really any defining or worthwhile features.

Owari

Well yeah but I was thinking the X was gonna do all the way to the edge on all sides kinda like how it is in that picture on the right and left?

As the X is now no part of the screen goes to the edge at all.
Which is great. Fuck having to replace the entire screen when it falls instead of just a simple piece of glass.

ZeroX03

Banned
Oh wow... that looks even.. worse? They should have made the phone with a different screen ratio, so if it excludes the notch it doesn't need the letterbox on all the sides.

Not really. The OLED should hide the letterboxing and make it blend into the bezel. So essentially like watching a video on an iPhone 7.

And remember this only affects cinematic widescreen stuff. Unless you're watching movies, 99% of YouTube videos and TV shows will be 16:9 and not require any letterboxing at the top or bottom.

Then what's the point in touting edge to edge design

That is extra wide video. It would not normally look like that. Also you can still double tap to make full screen (with the notch covering the left a little).

Maybe it's just the angle but that photo looks terrible. lol

Was not great quality, no.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's not a fucking baseless claim to say that having to look at the screen isnt faster or more convenient than literally not have to do that while making a wireless payment.

Having extra steps can't be faster than not having to do those steps.

And as I said, for Apple users who are used to using touch ID all day every day, they WILL notice the different combinations of times and ways in which they can't unlock their phone like they used to due to the requirement of the face tech.

Whether you're using basic face recognition, iris scanning or the "Kinect in a phone" type authentication, looking at the screen is a requirement, where it isn't in touch if or any other phone with a print scanner and it WILL require a difference in many different circumstances

It's not a baseless statement to say that, it's common fucking sense.

I often used to pull out my iPhone and pay without looking at it. Thumb is on the touchID before it’s even out of my pocket. You just get used to the touchID being reliable and fast so don’t think about it.

It's a good looking phone with a great screen and I suspect it'll be a pretty good phone to use--although the fact that they call it a "concept" rather than a phone and that it's 6.44" diagonal might make it really hard to actually use, that's larger than the Note by a longshot, right?

But other than edge-to-edge OLED screen it doesn't have many of the features that compete with the $600-800 flagship range (i.e. S8/Pixel XL/iPhone 8), it's not sold in any country except China (and if you import you'll be paying above the $500 list price) -- and yes, customer service matters, because you want your local phone guy to be able to fix your display for $70 or whatever if you drop it instead of having to throw out the phone.

It doesn't even have an OLED. The Mi Mix and Mix 2 use LCD.

It's not even a comparison.

Which is great. Fuck having to replace the entire screen when it falls instead of just a simple piece of glass.

I guess? But then they've really only extended the screen down (and I guess the dumb looking rabbit ears created by the notch at the top) from the older models.

I dunno I've never cracked a single screen in my life so maybe I'm not really concerned about that.

Fredrik

$200 more. The base 8+ is $799. You're also getting a bigger, much better OLED screen, a much better front facing camera with portrait mode, and an actual resdesign VS more rehashed 2012 shit. iOS also gets a much needed facelift on the X.
Wasn't iPhone 8 $699?
The OLED is great I suppose but I've never had any issues with the current screens. Having a bigger screen is not only a positive, I went from 6 Plus to 7 because 6 Plus was often annoyingly big in a pocket, X looked even taller judging by the presentation.
But in the end the elephant in the room is the "999 US Dollars!" pricing that is the problem. It's like buying a $3500 TV, I'm sure it's great but it's simply not worth the money.

AHA-Lambda

To clarify: this is wider than normal video (not the kind you would normally watch) and played at low quality in harsh lighting.

musicapp90seh.png

that looks horrendous

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Okay, forget the Mi Mix 2. Look at this:

galaxy-s8-plus_gallery_front_black_s4.png

Same size screen as the X, OLED, no "notch", headphone jack, expandable storage. Also keeps the fingerprint scanner for those who see Face ID as a negative.

$650. What is that extra $350 getting you?

$300 more to get animated emojis and a new way of starting up the phone is just insanity imo. 999 USD dollars. For a phone. I was super hyped until they told us the price. Big mistake imo. I'd rather buy a new graphics card or an Xbox One X plus a bunch of games for the money

The price has been known for a while, did you not believe it?

border

To clarify: this is wider than normal video (not the kind you would normally watch) and played at low quality in harsh lighting.

musicapp90seh.png

If this is something you can seamlessly enforce at the OS level for all pictures and video, then the problem is solved as far as I'm concerned.

dkeane

Have they shown what the screen looks like when I'm navigating with maps but not in the app? What does the top bar do?

Well yeah but I was thinking the X was gonna do all the way to the edge on all sides kinda like how it is in that picture on the right and left?

As the X is now no part of the screen goes to the edge at all.

As far as I'm aware, edge to edge usually refers to the actual glass of the display.

The actual displays basically never go to the edges. Samsung's curved screens kind of give a pretty good feeling of it though.

The side Bezel on the X looks kinda large next to something like an S8 or a V30 even.

The top and bottom.bezels are tiny, but in terms of side Bezel, the X has the chunkiest Bezel for a no bezel phone.

If this is something you can seamlessly enforce at the OS level for all pictures and video, then the problem is solved as far as I'm concerned.

I dunno if I'd call that "solved". That makes it look like some bootleg Chinese knockoff touch display.

As far as I'm aware, edge to edge usually refers to the actual glass of the display.

The actual displays basically never go to the edges.

The side Bezel on the X looks kinda large next to something like an S8 or a V30 even.

The top and bottom.bezels are tiny, but in terms of side Bezel, the X has the chunkiest Bezel for a no bezel phone.

Yeah that's what I'm saying. Why is the bezel so thick?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

musicapp90seh.png

Just let it mask off the left edge and zoom to fill the rest of the space based on the aspect ratio. Why leave space on the right just for the sake of being symmetrical? Give me the largest image please.

reKon

Banned

Same size screen as the X, OLED, no "notch", headphone jack, expandable storage. Also keeps the fingerprint scanner for those who see Face ID as a negative.

Stop. The people who want an iPhone don't give a shit unless there are people who legitimately can't decide on what flagship to get.

ZeroX03

Banned
Just let it mask off the left edge and zoom to fill the rest of the space based on the aspect ratio. Why leave space on the right just for the sake of being symmetrical? Give me the largest image please.

You can do that too. Even in current iOS it's double tap to zoom and fill screen with cropping. It's just an option.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Well I think the iPhone has way more powerful internals right?

Apple definitely has an advantage with their chips over Qualcomm, but I don't need any extra power for YouTube / Mint / Reddit / Kindle / Netflix. Not worth an extra $350 in my mind.

I guess if you are really interested in AR games, get the X?

Same size screen as the X, OLED, no "notch", headphone jack, expandable storage.

I used a Samsung phone for two years and it kind of soured me on ever wanting to use one regularly again. I'm just not a fan of their design philosophies, both on a hardware (throw as much shit at the wall and see what sticks even if none of it is fully developed) and software (TouchWiz is horrendous and they've continually made it harder to break away from) front.

Well I think the iPhone has way more powerful internals right?

better camera (and dual cameras)
less bezel and more screen
state of the art facial scanning unlike samsungs fake bullshit that even they admit doesn't work
iOS and not android
you'll get all of apple's OS updates instantly
A11 destroys everything else
better battery life than the s8
same screen size but smaller body than the s8
3D Touch, whether you use it a lot or not it's a feature
taptic engine beats any android internal shit for vibration tech
better speakers by far
consistent performance as time goes on/better memory management/more things open at once/etc... I guess this fits in the iOS bullet point so this is cheating.

I can probably go on. I mean no one has to get the X, no one has to like it, but to act like it isn't way more premium is pretty insane to me.

Apple definitely has an advantage with their chips over Qualcomm, but I don't need any extra power for YouTube / Mint / Reddit / Kindle / Netflix.

I guess if you are really interested in AR games, get the X?

Yeah that's true. I like the extra power for some mobile games and what not. I'd gladly trade some of that CPU/GPU power for some more RAM. My gripe with every iPhone I have is how fucking stingy they are with RAM.

Top Bottom