• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iron Man 3 is a decent movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

EGM1966

I'm not big on comic book movies but I liked it: fun script and I liked the inventive set pieces (until the usual Avalanche of repetitive CGI for the big ending).

Funnily enough I enjoyed Winter Soldier too until it also collapsed into an unnecessary OTT big CGI fest ending.

I guess Marvel feel unless there's s huge battle at the end it's not a comic book movie but it reall ruins movies that clearly don't need or even thematically lend themselves to it.

Come to think of it, what was the point of introducing "Extremis" if it had nothing to do with Tony and his suits and didn't even give people random powers?
It just made people really hot and/or explode-y.

Mandarin wasn't the only "In Name Only" issue with the movie, I guess.

I have no idea. Never read the comics.

The actual powers that it gave them were pretty clear -heat, regeneration, seemed to fuck with electrical equipment, fire breathing.

They just seem kind of inconsistent with each other.

It's a decent movie hampered by a poor ending and a poor villain (the twist doesn't make up for it)

Plus, the sequence Tonys house is soooo badly thought out.

Other than that not bad, defo not the worst marvel film

There was CGI in Winter Soldier?

I thought all the fight scenes were practical...

Some people are angry that there are computer generated airships on which the character engage in hand to hand combat, amazing flight sequences and other action. It is as mind-boggling as the IM3 criticisms.

Akahige

I enjoyed it, it had enough of a Shane Black stamp on it to distinguish it from the first two films, the end fight scene was lackluster with all the suits but whatever it's a Marvel movie. The Mandarin bait and switch was hilarious, Rhodey acting more like Tony's best friend was nice to see. Guy Pearce was wasted, the guy could made a great Norman Osborne.

I don't understand how people think the end fight was lackluster. It has great uses of a number of different suits, it moves quickly and has lots of cool moments. What were people expecting?

atr0cious

Joss probably shut it down, which is lame. Would have given more credence and truth to Tony going for broke with Ultron, instead of just lame logic while trying to forget everything he learned in Iron Man 3.

Only problem with Winter Soldier is that it's shot so boring and flat. Russos doing boring TV camera work, need to step their game up for their next projects. And did Cap learn anything he didn't already know in Avengers? Cap literally learns... not to trust SHIELD again.

wachie

She wasn't in AOU and I think they removed her super powers at the end of the film. He says the doctors did it, I believe.

The lack of communication (or ignoring of the film by Whedon) is very odd, especially considering all of the extra-universal buildup tangents that AOU takes.
You are correct. I remembered incorrectly.

Also, I think the credits sequence in IM3 might be the hypest thing I've ever seen.
What was it?

EGM1966

There was CGI in Winter Soldier?

I thought all the fight scenes were practical...
You think all the explosions and three big ships at the end where practical? I loved the action sequences in WS because they were so strong, looked mostly practical and weren't trying to be huge because "hey we need huge explosions" then the finale becomes mostly a huge CGI fest that hugely outweighs and reduces in impact what should have been a highly charged CA vs WS fight.

In other words they were wiling to overshadow the more important character battle and thematic material to have exploding CGI airships.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
I honestly can not decide whether I like it, or the first Iron Man more. Even with a gun ti my head, I doubt I'd be able to make up my mind.

VeeP

He retired. In the next RDJ appearance in the MCU [Avengers 2], his retirement is totally ignored. They gave no explanation why he is back using Iron Man suits and fighting.

In IM3 ending was good, but looking at it after Avengers 2, it looks weird.

Tony never retired, he never once said that. Internesting write up from Birthmoviesdeath:

But this is longform storytelling, and so Tony’s arc doesn’t end there. The events of The Avengers render Iron Man Three a fascinating postscript, where Tony has to deal with the PTSD of his trip through the Chitauri wormhole. This is where we get to the point about Tony not retiring.

In the year since New York Tony has dealt with his PTSD in the same way he dealt with his Afghanistan PTSD: he makes suits. But while the original Iron Man armors were generalized protection systems, post-New York Tony starts making individual suits for any possible problem that could come his way. He becomes obsessive, looking at the world as a series of dangers from which he must protect himself. The suits are a symptom of that obsession, a wall that he’s putting between himself and every single part of life.

When he destroys those suits he isn’t destroying Iron Man, he’s destroying the idea that Iron Man can handle his every fear, his every danger. He’s trying to deal with his trauma as opposed to cocooning himself away from it. When he removes the arc reactor he’s removing the crutch on which he stood, and metaphorically he’s removing the barrier to his heart. At the end of the movie he very clearly states, “I am Iron Man.”

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/05...-the-character-arcs-of-avengers-age-of-ultron

atr0cious

Why was it set at christmas? Being set at christmas had nothing to do with anything in the movie and it came out in march.

Film noir is why. Christmas time is one of the times of the year everyone can relate to, and you can pull many themes from knowing what could be expected.

Prototype

Tony never retired, he never once said that. Internesting write up from Birthmoviesdeath:

But this is longform storytelling, and so Tony’s arc doesn’t end there. The events of The Avengers render Iron Man Three a fascinating postscript, where Tony has to deal with the PTSD of his trip through the Chitauri wormhole. This is where we get to the point about Tony not retiring.

In the year since New York Tony has dealt with his PTSD in the same way he dealt with his Afghanistan PTSD: he makes suits. But while the original Iron Man armors were generalized protection systems, post-New York Tony starts making individual suits for any possible problem that could come his way. He becomes obsessive, looking at the world as a series of dangers from which he must protect himself. The suits are a symptom of that obsession, a wall that he’s putting between himself and every single part of life.

When he destroys those suits he isn’t destroying Iron Man, he’s destroying the idea that Iron Man can handle his every fear, his every danger. He’s trying to deal with his trauma as opposed to cocooning himself away from it. When he removes the arc reactor he’s removing the crutch on which he stood, and metaphorically he’s removing the barrier to his heart. At the end of the movie he very clearly states, “I am Iron Man.”

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/05...-the-character-arcs-of-avengers-age-of-ultron
This is the correct interpretation.

phaze

Watching it on TV right now and this is my second watch and it is surprisingly much better than most of MCU movies. Its also much better than what most of GAF would rate it at. It isnt a perfect movie (CG in some places isnt good, mediocre acting from RDJ, some plot holes etc) but overall its really a decent popcorn movie. The OST is also quite good. I think what pissed off some many people about this movie is the handling of Mandarin and the meta commentary about the "war on terror".

I would rate it behind the first Iron Man and before WS (yes WS). I dont know, maybe I just like Shane Black movies ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is this a controversial opinion ? IM 1&3 are like the only two decent marvel movies for me.

Jex

No, it's a great movie. Far better than the other Iron Man movies and certainly more enjoyable than much of the dross that Marvel is putting out.

Arondight

Upon reflection, I actually think the Mandarin plot twist is problematic for the movie. Not because of any loyalty to the comics version of the Mandarin. Lord no; I've never read an Iron Man comic in my life, and the comics Mandarin seems really really dumb.

No, it's a structural problem. The first half of the movie does a really effective job of building up this shadowy villain, who seems genuinely interesting, and appears to have the cryptic beginnings of a coherent ideology. He's well-acted and threatening and feels like he's going to be the first great Iron Man villain in the MCU. Then they throw all that away on a joke. A really funny joke, and one that I was very taken with at the time. But it's just a joke, and it trashes all that foreshadowing for no long-term gain. The interesting villain is discarded, and as is typical of the Iron Man movies, we are stuck with a boring nonentity of a villain that you can't remember 5 minutes after walking out of the theater. In this case it was... some guy with tattoos? Named Adrian, or something? Honestly, I can't even remember; that's how incredibly boring he was.

Alas, it seems RDJ will never get a memorable villain to defeat in his own franchise.

As soon as that happened, I went zzzzzz. Another corporate villain who hates Stark. I remember watching the trailers and Killian giving a villian vibe so when that happened, wasn't really surprised.

- J - D -

Upon reflection, I actually think the Mandarin plot twist is problematic for the movie. Not because of any loyalty to the comics version of the Mandarin. Lord no; I've never read an Iron Man comic in my life, and the comics Mandarin seems really really dumb.

No, it's a structural problem. The first half of the movie does a really effective job of building up this shadowy villain, who seems genuinely interesting, and appears to have the cryptic beginnings of a coherent ideology. He's well-acted and threatening and feels like he's going to be the first great Iron Man villain in the MCU. Then they throw all that away on a joke. A really funny joke, and one that I was very taken with at the time. But it's just a joke, and it trashes all that foreshadowing for no long-term gain. The interesting villain is discarded, and as is typical of the Iron Man movies, we are stuck with a boring nonentity of a villain that you can't remember 5 minutes after walking out of the theater. In this case it was... some guy with tattoos? Named Adrian, or something? Honestly, I can't even remember; that's how incredibly boring he was.

Alas, it seems RDJ will never get a memorable villain to defeat in his own franchise.

I never understand this criticism.

The Mandarin that was teased in the trailers, the one you want as described in your post, his ideology, his "threats", were fucking BORING and represented the stale terrorist posturing that embodies practically all theatrical villainy in action movies.

"Heroes, there are no such thing."
"Do you want an empty life, or a meaningful death."
Some dumb phiilosophically vapid shit about fortune cookies.

Give me a break. I'd take what we got over that any day, especially considering that the Mandarin character from the comics, he of eastern philosophy and magic rings, was never interesting to begin with.

I think a lot of people are so wrapped up in the "betrayal" they feel when IM3 pulled the rug from under them that they overlook what the film tried to do with the Mandarin, or what Killian tried to do with the Mandarin.

Killian IS the Mandarin. Yeah, that guy with the dragon tattoos that you're deriding, he's the Mandarin. Or at least, he based parts of his persona on a mythical figure by that name he heard of somewhere along the way to building AIM and developing better tech than Tony. The fake Mandarin? All that grandstanding and those threatening soundbites? Manufactured by Killian to be the kind of threatening presence that the American public would rally against, all the while the real threat operated well out of public focus. His was an entirely new form of terrorism, one that completely subverts expectations. The comic Mandarin is said to be an industrial genius and master tactician, is Killian not that? Strip the Mandarin of his Asian heritage and nobility, what do you get?

So maybe you can complain that it turns out that the villain of this Iron Man movie is another business man in a suit. Well, that's not really a problem when you look at the greater picture. The 3 prominent villains of the Iron Man franchise Obadiah Stane, Justin Hammer, both represent the worst aspects of who Tony was before fate and metal shrapnel forced him off that path -- unscrupulous weapons dealer, immoral hack inventor, respectively.

Killian is even closer to Tony as a character. A twisted mirror image of Tony. He is a man who, by his own ingenuity and willpower, overcame a disability to create an empire like Tony's and managed to beat Tony (albeit temporarily) by doing the one thing that no one thought was possible: he created tech that was better, even more cutting edge than Tony's. It's a tech that Killian relies on, like a crutch. Tony had Iron Man, Killian had Extremis. And the only way Tony could beat Killian was to believe that he was more than his tech, that he, Tony Stark the person, was Iron Man.

That's way more interesting than a vague terrorist who may or may not have any magic powers.

Come to think of it, what was the point of introducing "Extremis" if it had nothing to do with Tony and his suits and didn't even give people random powers?
It just made people really hot and/or explode-y.

Mandarin wasn't the only "In Name Only" issue with the movie, I guess.

It was a plot element on Agents of Shield. My bigger problem with it in IM3 is how it turns random people into super badass unkillable soldiers capable of ripping apart Iron Man suits with their bare hands like tin foil. Not even Thor does that shit in this universe, but take a shot of Extremis and you're apparently stronger than Thor.

wachie

Apparently the first cut of the movie was 195 min. I wonder if Marvel would ever release the extended versions of these films.

Decent? I think it's the best Marvel movie and just a really great one, it's "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang meets Lethal Weapon" and I love it. I know that it pisses fans off for being not like the comic but who cares when you have a super entertaining movie with really good cinematography and smart action.

My favorite one from the trilogy. It explored more about Tony rather than Iron man.

^

It was a plot element on Agents of Shield. My bigger problem with it in IM3 is how it turns random people into super badass unkillable soldiers capable of ripping apart Iron Man suits with their bare hands like tin foil. Not even Thor does that shit in this universe, but take a shot of Extremis and you're apparently stronger than Thor.

Aren't they just melting through them? I don't remember anyone literally ripping the suits apart.

rezuth

This made me laugh, because it was the first thing I thought when I opened the thread. Just watched it last night with Thai dubbing in Nakhonphanom, Thailand.

Great movie. The hate that it gets really puzzles me. The real villain isnt amazing, but that's common with these movies. I thought everything else was awesome.

Love me some James Badge Dale (bring back Rubicon!) And Kingsley is having so much fun in the role. It is odd that people complain constantly about how all Marvel movies are the same, but they release this unique film and so many people hate it.

Just because something is unique doesn't make it good. Iron Man just isn't a good fit for 80s cheesy action movie.

wachie

Just looked up Shane Black's filmography and he's working on The Nice Guys, Doc Savage and Predator? Wow .....

Hopefully he works with RDJ again, they are an awesome combo.

I adored Iron Man 3. Thought the twist was fabulous.

I've never been particularly attached to IM lore, and I thought this did a lot of cool stuff with some of his stories.

Chichikov

I liked it.
The fight at the end was a bit weak and the villain wasn't that great, but the robot robot punchy punchy parts were always the least interesting parts of Iron Man to me.
I loved the
Mandarin
twist too.

number11

Why was it set at christmas? Being set at christmas had nothing to do with anything in the movie and it came out in march.

Why not?

The Christmas period these days lasts about 3 months in the year. I always find it weird how there's not enough movies set around Christmas.

I actually liked it quite a bit, despite the fact that I was a bit disappointed with a few things.

After having seen Ultron I have to say it would've been cool if IM3 handled the AI aspect of the narrative. In the trailers I thought the Iron Man suit that saved him in the mansion was controlled by Tony's subconscious, like the part where it walks into his bedroom in the middle of the night because he was sending commands, which would've been a pretty interesting evolution into Age of Ultron in my opinion.

I think Iron Man 3 is a pretty good movie on its own, but I get that in the greater picture it may just have been disappointing for many. It definitely had a more comprehensive narrative than Iron Man 2 though (which I enjoyed as well, but it's definitely the worst of the 3 in my opinion.)

Corpsepyre

Banned
I didn't like it. That Mandarin fuckup aside even, it's a super mediocre movie, with over-done jokes that pissed me off endlessly, terrible action scenes and, again, a horrible main villain and his posse. Bottom tiered Marvel movie.

NotLiquid

It's easily the best Iron Man of the series.

As much as the first Iron Man was still a big fucking deal the movie took a huge nosedive after the middle-east battle sequence. It only continues just so the movie can have a traditional ending after that point; there's no character payoff to be had by Tony having to fight Iron Monger, and Jebediah is phoned in as a predictable villain.

Iron Man 3 manages to keep the pace up constantly with new plot developments, a proactive hero, a villain who is surprisingly interesting for once and overall just a lot of on-spot set pieces and action beats that have Tony think outside of the box. We've already seen the Iron Man suit kick ass in previous movies but how does Tony deal when the suits start malfunctioning? How does he blast a helicopter when his heavy duty weaponry is all offline? How can a suit low on power save 13 freefalling civilians? Can 40 flawed suits built for ridiculously specific circumstances be of any advantage against enemies who can tear through them like butter? When the Mark 42 is coming in to make its "grand return" only to fall apart on itself, that is generally symbolic for the main theme of Tony's character progression through the entire movie. The movie builds the main armor of the movie as a deus ex machina only to show that yeah, you can't rely on the suit itself to bring you out of that jam. Only your own ingenuity is going to do it. That's what makes it so on point, the movie finally paid it's dues and made Tony an engaging character outside of cheap tricks and a one-liner.

The final battle against Killian isn't a battle of firepower, it's a battle of wits. That's ultimately what defined the both of them. That's also why the Mandarin twist was so compelling in spite of it being played for a lot of laughs. It just works, it works for the sake of the character and to separate it from the relatively uncomfortable caricature it would have been if they stayed too close to the source material, and it also works in the context of the MCU and the idea that setting up a supervillain "front" was the best way to divert the attention from war profiteering. For a large majority of the movie the Mandarin is being set up as some almighty force to be reckoned with but I always had that sneaky suspicion that something wasn't right due to how little we got to see of him. For whatever reason I knew he wouldn't live up to the rather cookie cutter expectations that were set in place, and yet... it outdid them in the only way that made sense.

IM3 is just a clever gem through and through in my opinion and is generally the best argument Marvel has had for taking liberties with the source material to fit into the context of a compelling character driven movie.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I thought it was mediocre at best. Fuck fake Mandarin and fuck the generally insipid action, annoying child and lackluster final fight. I actually fell asleep in the middle, not even First Avenger bored me that much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom