• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronFall: treat your New self to a good third-person shooter!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Didn't you had a N3DS?
I was about to get one this month, but instead my gadgetry budget went toward other things. So a CPP is as much as I can afford to improve my online IF performance at the moment.

Seems to be one of those cases were the opinion can be valid or invalid according to ones knowledge about something. If you didn't know this was coming from a small dev (small even by indi standards) at a budget price and assumed it was from a big publisher i could see how complains about how umpolished and generic it looks. People familiar with the development circumstances had the expectations in check. In that sense the draw of the game is more of a tech curiosity.

For those that play it? How well it compares to the original demo and how well it retains the 60 FPS and 30 in 3D mode?

i do wonder about why the developer omited the following:

1) Why they don't give the option to set movement to the C stick and aiming the left circle pad?

2) Why there's no gyroscopic assist option? since it can be more precise than a thumbstick in some cases. And people tell me that the N3DS can work with this type of aiming withouth braking the 3D effect, making it even weirder.

3) IS VD Dev pitching this engine for potential licensing? The demo reel makes it seem like it will. Prime games could be a good candidate for this engine. The action scenes seem to be in order with what we saw in the first 2 Prime gamjes.

Oregano

Seems to be one of those cases were the opinion can be valid or invalid according to ones knowledge about something. If you didn't know this was coming from a small dev (small even by indi standards) at a budget price and assumed it was from a big publisher i could see how complains about how umpolished and generic it looks. People familiar with the development circumstances had the expectations in check. In that sense the draw of the game is more of a tech curiosity.

For those that play it? How well it compares to the original demo and how well it retains the 60 FPS and 30 in 3D mode?

Well yeah it's less than £20 if you both both single player and multiplayer which is cheaper than most 3DS games. Hell if people want to compare it to the polish of Resident Evil Revelations they should keep in mind that Capcom wanted to charge $50 for that in the US.

I haven't personally noticed any framerate drops but I might just be blissfully unaware.

i do wonder about why the developer omited the following:

1) Why they don't give the option to set movement to the C stick and aiming the left circle pad?

2) Why there's no gyroscopic assist option? since it can be more precise than a thumbstick in some cases. And people tell me that the N3DS can work with this type of aiming withouth braking the 3D effect, making it even weirder.

3) IS VD Dev pitching this engine for potential licensing? The demo reel makes it seem like it will. Prime games could be a good candidate for this engine. The action scenes seem to be in order with what we saw in the first 2 Prime gamjes.

I'm not sure the C stick works well for lefty mode but I haven't tried it(with KI Uprising).

I imagine the idea behind the demo reel was two parts "Hey, look how awesome we are." and "Hire us to make your portable shooters". VD Dev has a long history with Ubisoft and the engine is almost perfect for a Ghost Recon game.

I doubt they have the desire or the time to license the engine out. You need a support team for that stuff.

I'm not sure the C stick works well for lefty mode but I haven't tried it(with KI Uprising).

I doubt they have the desire or the time to license the engine out. You need a support team for that stuff.
i was thinking since forward, back and strafe movement is less reliant on precision for this game it could be a potential good trade of to switch the C stick and circle pad functionality.

Regarding the licensing i was kind of been optimistic about it. It doesn't matter how effcient an engine might be if the support (like you pointed out) and the tool set is not refined enough. Good tool development takes a lot of time and iteration, something that a small team of devs like this can't afford.

blu

Regarding the licensing i was kind of been optimistic about it. It doesn't matter how effcient an engine might be if the support (like you pointed out) and the tool set is not refined enough. Good tool development takes a lot of time and iteration, something that a small team of devs like this can't afford.
If I were a VD-dev, I'd be working right now on my IronFall for WiiU, with cross-platform multiplayer.

On an unrelated note, I finally raised online rank* tonight. I've become quite efficient with the stylus, but my left palm is hurting from the 'fire clutch'. I need that CPP soon.

* You gain rank when you collect certain amount (different per rank) of online credits. The thing is, you only gain credits when you finish first in a free-for-all. Among 6 players, chances are many of them with N3DS' or CPP's : /

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
If I were a VD-dev, I'd be working right now on my IronFall for WiiU, with cross-platform multiplayer.

On an unrelated note, I finally raised online rank* tonight. I've become quite efficient with the stylus, but my left palm is hurting from the 'fire clutch'. I need that CPP soon.

* You gain rank when you collect certain amount (different per rank) of online credits. The thing is, you only gain credits when you finish first in a free-for-all. Among 6 players, chances are many of them with N3DS' or CPP's : /

How much of the code would be reusable, though? Wouldn't they need to rewrite their engine? Well, I suppose they could clone the game using Unity.

blu

How much of the code would be reusable, though? Wouldn't they need to rewrite their engine? Well, I suppose they could clone the game using Unity.
That's the point - they wouldn't need an effort of 3ds-heroic proportions to get an up-port of IF on wiiU. As much as they've talked about writing stuff in assembly, I'd expect they also have a 'vanilla' C version of the engine, if nothing else just because assembly is not a good language for prototyping stuff.

Oregano

VD dev are licensed Vita and Wii U developers. Doesn't mean they'll do anything on the platforms but it's possible.

LoveCake

Just got this today, the demo version that is, i hope it's good because sometime ago i did see the original trailer & it looked & sounded really good, the £18 full game cost though it had better be really good!

blu

Just got this today, the demo version that is, i hope it's good because sometime ago i did see the original trailer & it looked & sounded really good, the £18 full game cost though it had better be really good!
I'm fairly far in the full campaign on hard difficulty at it's quite challenging.

Hi Blu, if you don't mind kind you adress some of my inquiries about the graphics? Is it maintaining the traget frame rates in both 2D and 3D modes? And how do you think it fares, strictly in terms of technology in relation to other graphically intense games in the platform?

blu

Hi Blu, if you don't mind kind you adress some of my inquiries about the graphics? Is it maintaining the traget frame rates in both 2D and 3D modes? And how do you think it fares, strictly in terms of technology in relation to other graphically intense games in the platform?
I'm fairly certain it's 60fps stable in 2d. Not so about 3d. Actually, I'd say it's 30fps there, but I could be wrong just as well, just because the crosstalk/ghosting clouds the fps perception in 3d. Still, I'm more inclined toward 30@3d.

Technologically, it's really competent. I particularly love the fact all weapon projectiles, including high-rate fire, are traced with pinpoint accuracy - rather important for a shooter, both tactically and aesthetically. In terms of visual tech, DOF, glow/bloom and envmap reflections are fairly prominent. One department where I wish it did better would be texture variety/res - perhaps the (OG) 3ds limitations are showing there. Then again, RE:R had some fairly nice texture work, but of course artist resources are a major factor for that. Keep in mind some areas in IF are fairly busy with enemies, vs RE:R's rather sparing use of enemies. Also, I would rate the AI of enemies in IF a level above RE:R.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fairly far in the full campaign on hard difficulty at it's quite challenging.

In what way is challenging? Because too often "hard" means that the enemies become bullet sponges, throw more random crap (CoD grenades)or other un-fun mechanics. :S

blu

In what way is challenging? Because too often "hard" means that the enemies become bullet sponges, throw more random crap (CoD grenades)or other un-fun mechanics. :S
There's one enemy so far which I'd call the proverbial bullet sponge, and it actually has a weak side.

I have encountered five types of enemies to this point (I know there are at least two more), and it's usually the combination of enemies in the area, ammo crates availability, tactical corridors and covers which make a situation tough. Lately in the game I've been running tight on ammo, so when I face a crowded situation that usually takes me planning what enemies to take out first, so I can collect the ammo they drop when they die. Also the sheer amount of fire directed at you means you have to make active use of the cover mechanics.

@MUWANdo

Banned
That's the point - they wouldn't need an effort of 3ds-heroic proportions to get an up-port of IF on wiiU. As much as they've talked about writing stuff in assembly, I'd expect they also have a 'vanilla' C version of the engine, if nothing else just because assembly is not a good language for prototyping stuff.

This game is only valuable as a tech demo for modest hardware; porting it to Wii U or any other higher-spec platform would be a complete waste of time.

blu

This game is only valuable as a tech demo for modest hardware; porting it to Wii U or any other higher-spec platform would be a complete waste of time.
That surely is a valid opinion. My ~6h of campaign and online multi say otherwise, though.

Zornica

Banned
Well yeah it's less than £20 if you both both single player and multiplayer which is cheaper than most 3DS games. Hell if people want to compare it to the polish of Resident Evil Revelations they should keep in mind that Capcom wanted to charge $50 for that in the US[...]

to be fair, re:re was worth those 50 bucks, more so than most other games that go for way higher

I've been thinking about picking this up. even though I wasn't that keen on what I saw during the demo, I'm still kinda curious about the rest.

Oregano

to be fair, re:re was worth those 50 bucks, more so than most other games that go for way higher

I've been thinking about picking this up. even though I wasn't that keen on what I saw during the demo, I'm still kinda curious about the rest.

Yeah totally. Resident Evil Revelations is one of the best games on the 3DS but it's not fair to compare a ~$20 game made by three people to even a $40 game by a big team from a major publisher.

Zornica

Banned
Yeah totally. Resident Evil Revelations is one of the best games on the 3DS but it's not fair to compare a ~$20 game made by three people to even a $40 game by a big team from a major publisher.

no disagreement there.

I'm on the edge of buying this, but I'm not yet fully convinced...
anything I should know that may push me over the edge?
The demo didn't really impress me technically, are there going to be any more impressive looking areas later on?

I'm extremely confused as to why the developers considered a free demo version to be a good idea. VD-dev are known for impressive tech and Ironfall certainly looks impressive for a 3DS game, but at the end of the day it still just feels like a tech demo. Once you've seen the game running, there's not really much of a reason to continue playing.

It's a shooter, but one of the better. If someone likes shooter this game is very enjoyable. I got the same vibes from this game as from Gears, both good looking, both with a boring story, both has some challenging and some boring shooter parts.

blu

no disagreement there.

I'm on the edge of buying this, but I'm not yet fully convinced...
anything I should know that may push me over the edge?
The demo didn't really impress me technically, are there going to be any more impressive looking areas later on?
I'd say the second area is cleary better looking than the first. That said, the campaign (as far as I'm in, anyway) doesn't shine with vistas or general artistic inspiration - everything in the game speaks of competence, but that's as far as it goes visuals-wise. At the end of the day it takes plenty of good artists to create a visually stunning game - something VD-dev did not have. So, if you're not in for the mechanics of a good shooter and the competitiveness of the online multi (or heck, the challenge of the AI on hard-mode campaign), there might not be much else in the game for you.

ps: my 2nd CPP is en route to me. Mortality rates are going to rise.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I was surprised to see this did not have a price, until I read the op, good strategy. Really wanted to give this a whirl and see how it played before buying it.

Nice tech demo, but after playing years of other tps games, I can't in good conscience play this lol.

VandalD

Game's pretty and all, but I'm not liking how I have to swipe the stylus so much just to turn. This was especially dumb while going up a few flights of stairs, having to keep repeatedly swiping the screen just to see where I was going. It could really use higher sensitivity options, or it'd be nice if the game could realize that, since I didn't keep the stylus on the screen, I wanted to keep turning in that direction, much like how Kid Icarus works.

blu

Game's pretty and all, but I'm not liking how I have to swipe the stylus so much just to turn. This was especially dumb while going up a few flights of stairs, having to keep repeatedly swiping the screen just to see where I was going. It could really use higher sensitivity options, or it'd be nice if the game could realize that, since I didn't keep the stylus on the screen, I wanted to keep turning in that direction, much like how Kid Icarus works.
Protips: for the stylus, set horizontal sensitivity to 75% or more. When doing u-turns, use double-tap down on the stick, RE:R-style.

2013-03-13-TREATYOSELF.gif

Will try this tonight. Thanks for the heads up.

p0rl

I found this really irritating, along with the pointer momentum. I wish I could turn that off.

VandalD

Protips: for the stylus, set horizontal sensitivity to 75% or more. When doing u-turns, use double-tap down on the stick, RE:R-style.
I maxed it out. Still too slow for me. U-turns weren't an issue. It was mostly anything between 45 and 90 degree turns that had me swiping more than I thought should be necessary for a maximum sensitivity setting. Using a stylus for pointing allows for a lot of precision in itself, so much so that it's really weird to me how they thought the sensitivity levels in game needed to be so tight. It makes me think that stylus controls were an afterthought and the game was meant for a C stick. If others are using these controls and having fun with it, that's great. It doesn't feel right for me though.
I found this really irritating, along with the pointer momentum. I wish I could turn that off.
An option to turn it off in Kid Icarus would have been welcome, for sure. It'd also be a welcome option to turn it on in this game. I thought it worked pretty well for quick camera movement.

Played the demo and, Ok, totally not the greatest imo, but it still scratches an itch.
Still, damn good job, you three guys!
Now to decide if I want to help build this brand...

Is this game supposed to be free? Because it is.....on the American eShop right now. I don't get it. Is there in app purchases or something?
In the OP:
Release features
a single campaign level, plus
a single multiplayer level
From there on, for ~10 euro you can get either the full campaign, or the full multiplayer level set. Or for ~20 euro you can get the entire bundle.

Basically it is a demo but called f2p so unlimited uses.

@MUWANdo

Banned

They said they'll be patching this and other control issues/requests next month.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So, i got the game. It is better than what I was expecting. Sure, is a "by the numbers" TPS, but I was expecting something less refined. The shooting mechanics are very basic, but solid. Fells better than, lets say, Shadowgun. As for the graphics, they are good looking and ugly at the same time. The game is technically impressive but on many occasions the the art design leaves much to be desired, specially when it comes to the characters models and their animations. I would say is a better looking game than the Conduit, though.

Ah, and the framerate is very smooth. In that sense is more impressive than RE:R! :p .

Hopped into the online demo and got two first places (stylus controls). Definitely would like more sensitivity, the bottom touch pad on the new 3ds xl is pretty big and it takes big swipes to turn.

Tried it with a thumb stylus but due to the low sensitivity the normal stylus seemed to work better. Wouldn't mind an option for a virtual joystick on the touch pad, like how the dpad in mh3/mh4 works.

Wondering if this is worth a buy for campaign. Graphics and 3d look good.

Edit: wow, played the single player demo and there are sections where it renders on both bottom and top screens! These guys are wizards. I wonder if they'll do any update for n3ds specific enhancements.

DangerMan

Banned
Really impressive work here, don't understand the hate the game is getting. The game checks basically all the boxes needed for a handheld third-person shooter:

Customizable Controls (found my perfect C-Stick setup)
Mid-Mission Saving for Campaign
Multiple Difficulties for Campaign
Local and Online Multiplayer
Ability to play Multiplayer Mode offline against waves of enemies (Great for bus rides)
Great price for Multiplayer Mode

Sadly the game also has a number of issues:

No Creativity outside Heart Rate
Little motivation to complete overpriced Campaign other than to get better for Multiplayer
Not enough character skins, maps, and weapons for Multiplayer
Not enough options when playing Multiplayer Mode against waves of enemies
No way to customize character or weapons using credits earned in Multiplayer

A great technical achievement held back by a lack creativity and polish. Another six months of development could have done wonders for this game and there is still hope it will reach its potential in time with updates.

The free version is a must download for all 3DS owners though.

Top Bottom