• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

zbarron

I saw a Tasty video for chocolate banana bread come up on my Facebook feed and seeing as I had all the ingredients on hand I thought I'd give it a shot (adding some chopped walnuts for good measure)

Have posted pictures of my kitchen (and outdoor kitchen) here and there before. Am super happy with how everything turned out and it's a great space and apartment to cook and entertain in.

Those videos make me unreasonably mad. Most teach bad technique. I'm sure with your skill level you can adjust any mistakes they make, but I hate the spread of misinformation.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Those videos make me unreasonably mad. Most teach bad technique. I'm sure with your skill level you can adjust any mistakes they make, but I hate the spread of misinformation.

I rarely cook any recipes from there directly, but I have found them useful to give me ideas here and there. I agree a lot of their stuff is half arse and lazy. In this case, I had bananas that would have otherwise been wasted and it turned out pretty good, so it was a timely and useful video.

Am also subscribed to some more reputable pages like Food Network.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Have posted pictures of my kitchen (and outdoor kitchen) here and there before. Am super happy with how everything turned out and it's a great space and apartment to cook and entertain in.

I would straight-up murder someone for your kitchen.

Symphonia

Banned
I follow SortedFOOD for a lot of the recipes I've been trying lately, but making slight adjustments to make it my own. I've also watched recipes on those '30 Second Recipe' Twitter pages, and adapted them to make them look and taste better.

Speaking of kitchen designs, I was looking at the NYT real estate section today, as is my wont, and noticed this strange outlet placement...

18WYG-slide-GTWM-superJumbo.jpg

"Yeah, just stick it wherever."

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Outlets on the counter are cool, because you might want to keep your laptop or ipod there or whatever the fuck.

But right next to the oven door? Lmao, talk about a safety hazard.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Speaking of kitchen designs, I was looking at the NYT real estate section today, as is my wont, and noticed this strange outlet placement...

The worst part is that it probably costed a fortune.

The interior designer in me screams in agony.

Outlets on the counter are cool, because you might want to keep your laptop or ipod there or whatever the fuck.

But right next to the oven door? Lmao, talk about a safety hazard.
Not really. Some ovens even come with their own outlets! They are superhandy if you don't have enough of them on the counters.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

That outlet would be both more aesthetically pleasing and more practical if it had been on one of the two sides of that island.

At the very least they should have used a smaller faceplate so as to not overlap the join.

zbarron

Does anyone here have an internal temperature they shoot for when making cake or brownies? It's hard to find a consensus on what to cook it until and I don't really care for the toothpick test.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Does anyone here have an internal temperature they shoot for when making cake or brownies? It's hard to find a consensus on what to cook it until and I don't really care for the toothpick test.
the toothpick test is the best and easiest way to check it, give it a try.

zbarron

the toothpick test is the best and easiest way to check it, give it a try.

It's honestly what I've been using. I just don't care for it. I don't get as consistent results as I'd like and frankly I'm out of toothpicks at the moment. I also don't see how sliding my instant read thermometer in it is any harder. I've read that sugar content changes the temperature at which it's done, but I figure if no one has a guideline I could buy a bunch of the same brownie mix and keep a log where I list the temperature it comes out at and if it seems overdone, under done or just right. That way I can zero in on the perfect temperature for how I like them. We don't use such basic methods when gauging doneness of meat, so I don't see why we still do with baked goods.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
We don't use such basic methods when gauging doneness of meat, so I don't see why we still do with baked goods.

Unlike cooking, the precision in baking comes before it hits the oven, not after. There are far too many factors that affect doneness to narrow things to specific temperatures in most cases; you won't find any pastry chefs temping baked goods because, well, they're done when they're done.

Keeping a log for your own personal use makes sense, but that same info probably wouldn't be as precise to someone else making the exact same item.

Yes Boss!

For the last two years I've only used a single rice cooker to make everything. I have been disciplined and actually enjoyed the limitations. I've cooked so much in that little vessel. Here is one on the last things I will make before leaving. Might do a few things more over the holidays. This one is a nice easy spicy Korean pork. I put some scallion kimchi as a condiment,

image_13.jpeg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Those pictures are way pretty.

I'm also mad jealeous of people who can buy kimchi, mirin, poblano chiles and other "exotic" ingredients without spending an absurd extra. I only recently found a place that carries chipotles and I feel blessed.

I imagine that people living in places with large Korean, Japanese and Mexican populations feel the same about being able to buy ibérico and manchego at any corner but damnit, I still want my miso.

Yes Boss!

I'm also mad jealeous of people who can buy kimchi, mirin, poblano chiles and other "exotic" ingredients without spending an absurd extra. I only recently found a place that carries chipotles and I feel blessed.

I imagine that people living in places with large Korean, Japanese and Mexican populations feel the same about being able to buy ibérico and manchego at any corner but damnit, I still want my miso.

Yeah. It sucks. But every location is blessed with something unique. I went home to so cal last spring and went to Irvine to get some ingredients for white kimchi and even then the daikons and cabbages were just not the same.

You can always make miso! Simple soybeans and that special rice which is easy to get online. Takes time but less work then, say, Korean doenjang.

I suppose that's one of the benefits where in live in NJ is that it's a huge melting pot, and nearly every walk of life has their own supermarket where I can get cuisine specific ingredients with next to no effort.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Am making dinner for a cute girl on Tuesday. However, she is vegan and gluten free.

Any ideas for something tasty I can make?

Last time faced with the same situation I made roast kumara and bell pepper salad with rocket, baby spinach, spring onion, pine nuts, and coriander and garnished with edible flowers, though have foolishly shown her this photo so need something new.

Yes Boss!

I suppose that's one of the benefits where in live in NJ is that it's a huge melting pot, and nearly every walk of life has their own supermarket where I can get cuisine specific ingredients with next to no effort.

Same here...I'm in So Cal and San Fran and there is just a staggering amount of international markets. Actually one of the best things about the US. Even when specific produce was hard to find a decade or two back there is usually a domestic version grown now...things like calamansi limes or fresh fenugreek.

le-seb

Christmas log, take two: cocoa flavoured génoise biscuit, dark chocolate mousse, salted butter caramel sauce, white chocolate mousse and some crispy feuillantine layer at the bottom.
XcZFvuim0grWfxpp5Dfm5Wkx0fnjdO3nrtoZZ8KI2mULyydjcLbMsKn3Z-DTKcl8zYHemmc3JQ=w964-h940-no

Other than adding some gelatin to the white chocolate mousse, for better 'hold', I think that we've got a winner.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
great dishes, everybody! the cake looks great and I like the yolk! Great plating, Bus, Boss and Mario. No idea for a vegan dish, though. Maybe some kind of rice noodles with an arrabiata sugo?

Soulfood tonight: Meat Loaf with potatoes, brussels sprouts and carrots,
IMG_2200.jpg

So I want to make some cheesecake with peanut butter. Should I just add in the peanut butter to the batter, or should I thin it out some then add it in?

zbarron

New kitchen pictures. We just moved in so it's not finished and a little messy.
31358238550_5db4d9aa76_b.jpg

This is our first kitchen with a full size dishwasher. Fancy.
30889686254_7a84113b19_b.jpg

This is also our first kitchen with a hood.
30889652064_aba2b12c15_b.jpg

As you can see clearly unfinished.
30921404953_722bcb4208_b.jpg

This however is probably my favorite feature even though it isn't technically "in" the kitchen.
31584402782_86f8e4bf32_b.jpg

Our projector died so we got a cheap 40" 4K TV and a wall mount that is full motion and rotates 90*. Perfect for reading recipes, watching something while I cook, or both.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's like a giant iphone.

I love the extruded doors.

Am making dinner for a cute girl on Tuesday. However, she is vegan and gluten free.

Any ideas for something tasty I can make?

We're vegetarian (was vegan for many years) and have friends who have crazy dietary restrictions including gluten, but the dishes we make for them are less wow and more comfort food--Japanese vegetable curry, various Mexican or Lebanese bean and rice dishes, etc.

Hmm... maybe a rice made with saffron and coconut milk and an accompanying vegetable curry? Very rich and flavorful. If she likes tofu you could do a nice fried tofu in the curry (cornstarch instead of flour, etc.). Lots of technique show-off in the vegetable cutting if you'd like.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
We're vegetarian (was vegan for many years) and have friends who have crazy dietary restrictions including gluten, but the dishes we make for them are less wow and more comfort food--Japanese vegetable curry, various Mexican or Lebanese bean and rice dishes, etc.

Hmm... maybe a rice made with saffron and coconut milk and an accompanying vegetable curry? Very rich and flavorful. If she likes tofu you could do a nice fried tofu in the curry (cornstarch instead of flour, etc.). Lots of technique show-off in the vegetable cutting if you'd like.

Good idea. I'm thinking a sweet potato curry which I've made a couple of times before and has a surprising amount of depth.

She is bringing dessert, so it makes my job a lot easier there.

Subscribed. Does this count if I only cook food in a professional kitchen? Anyways, I think I'll get that imagur app and post things I make all the time for funsies, to see what you guys think 🙄

I hate to post multiple times at a time, but I'll get back here soon. All I do is cook foods, I'll throw up some cool pics if I have time. (Up early before my 14 hour monday shift. Don't want to annoy anyone)

Symphonia

Banned
Welcome to the community, buddy, your food looks nice. It doesn't matter whether you're an amateur chef or a professional, as long as the food is cooked by yourself. As for posts, if you wrap the links in tags, they'll show up directly. You can then add multiple images to one post.

Hope to see you around.

Nordicus

Woo, Christmas came early! Went to visit my dad with my siblings and he thought we should get and open our presents while we were visiting.

One of the things he got me was this swedish Ronab cast iron pot! He found it in a flea market and seasoned it for me. It's a beaut
It was the one present that wasn't wrapped, so my eyes were glued to it when he brought it to the living room with the other presents.

Top Bottom