• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irrational Games shutting down, 2K takes over BioShock, KL in new 15 person DD studio

Opiate

Why would they want to be stuck making Donkey kong games for the rest of their lives?

While Nintendo seems to be very controlling, it also seems to be true that their jobs are extremely stable, particularly relative to western video game developer norms.

I really hope people are able to land on their feet; most of them will probably need to relocate to find work.

This is another blow to the game development scene in New England. First Harmonix went through their major recovery period after their EA dealings, everyone knows about the 38 Studios failure, and now Irrational is shutting down. There's still Demiurge, Rockstar New England, Turbine, and Harmonix around (plus all the small indies and startups), but it's sad to see one of the big-named studios go, especially with their portfolio of work.

Considering New England is home to MIT and Harvard, on top of many great art and design colleges like RISD and MassArt, it's a real shame that game development and investment hasn't taken off like it has in other parts of the country.

Well, if anyone from Irrational is reading this, thanks for the great products you've put out. They've been wonderfully entertaining and I really hope you get to bring your talents to new games and experiences.

AngryMoth

Wow, very sad and very unexpected.

This is quite sobering actually, not very optimistic about the future of AAA with news like this.

Steez

Somehow I don't think that's how it went down. If Ken and 15 people just left 2K would have simply found a new lead for Irrational and kept them going, as I said before Activision kept Infinity Ward around despite losing pretty much the entire team. Something else is going on.

This so much.

I can't believe some people think that Levine just went "fuck it" and fired everybody for shits and giggles.

rakhir

The plot thickens.

Is Ken a nightmare to work with then I wonder?

That guy designed Arcadia level from Bioshock one.

And yes, i always assumed working with Levine was a nightmare. There was an article on polygon (i know, i know) around Infinite release that said, that they were close to being done designing, modelling and mapping slums of Columbia that was looking like shacks built on each other, but one day Levine came to office and said that he realised that even poor people in Columbia would live in an big and glorious homes. All the work had to be scrapped and redone with a new direction.
I think those types of moments were numerous, since a lot of department leads were furious and left before shipping the game.

You are always allowed to fire people? Why wouldn't you be? It's a business.

Read the whole tweet. Of course you are allowed to fire people, the issue is people being cool with all these people being out of jobs because the PR framed it as a creative restructuring.

pakkit

Banned
I don't care about the drama. It's gotta be hard to maintain authorial intent in games that require so much man power (consider the catch-all cacophony of GTAV's narrative). Ken Levine and the core group at Irrational helped create some of my favorite games in this past decade, so I'll keep an eye on him where ever he goes. It sucks to see Irrational go, but I'm glad to see them disband with a swan song like Bioshock Infinite instead of burning out like so many devs do.

Corto

Completely taken by surprise as everyone else. Honestly, at the moment and wit so little info, I'm also leaning to the side that this is just an awful decision. From 2K, Levine; Irrational whoever had their saying in this. Absolutely ridiculous. But I'm a complete outsider with zero knowledge of what happened behind closed doors and personal motivations behind this. Hope everyone falls on their feet on more soundly managed teams and a special well wish to Fartofwar. Hang in there!

Shads

Wow, that's ridiculous. Sad to hear all those people losing their jobs just because one person wants to go into a smaller direction. I don't understand why Ken couldn't just work on this smaller project in a sub-division of Irrational and let the others work and create their own project during this period. Irrational has so much talent and a rather large team that I don't understand why Ken wouldn't trust them to work on something on their own without his supervision as he goes off pursuing his next endeavor. Such a shame it came to this decision. I hope these people find something soon... maybe companies like Naughty Dog or SCE Santa Monica or Black Tusk or 343i are hiring.

R0ckman

Why would they want to be stuck making Donkey kong games for the rest of their lives?

You can't be serious.

While Nintendo seems to be very controlling, it also seems to be true that their jobs are extremely stable, particularly relative to western video game developer norms.

I thought Retro confirmed that they WANTED to make a sequel. Or were they forced to say that?

The question really becomes whether games as a whole would be willing to buy smaller scale productions. We can talk about needing more efficient development all day, but unless we're willing to buy them (with the sacrifices a more efficient model would entail), it's useless. It doesn't matter how efficiently something is developed if everyone ditches it in favor of Call of Duty 20.

Abounder

Banned
We'll have fewer AAA games and more dead studios. It's unsustainable and something has to give.

The bestselling games are generally AAA and represent big brands. I think this gen is going to be like the last one: plenty of flops but also plenty of AAA titles. Big games won't die out until at least another generation. Even independent games like Star Citizen are raking in millions from gamers and there's not even a gameplay demo yet

That guy designed Arcadia level from Bioshock one.

And yes, i always assumed working with Levine was a nightmare. There was an article on polygon (i know, i know) around Infinite release that said, that they were close to being done designing, modelling and mapping slums of Columbia that was looking like shacks built on each other, but one day Levine came to office and said that he realised that even poor people in Columbia would live in an big and glorious homes. All the work had to be scrapped and redone with a new direction.
I think those types of moments were numerous, since a lot of department leads were furious and left before shipping the game.

I guess I can give him kudos for his tenacity but that does sound rough as hell

Zeppeli

Banned
As long as no one is losing their job, I'm happy. After BioShock 2 and the changes they made to BioShock Infinite post-reveal, I've been completely dissatisfied with everything they've put out in recent memory.

AkuMifune

Banned
An aside that will be lost, Bioshock was always the thinking man's FPS stuck in a mediocre shooter. They were always caught between audiences and not courageous enough to move it firmly in one direction or the other. Shame.

This is very saddening. I hope those wonderfully talented people that lose their jobs manage to land on their feet. I will gladly support any endeavors they initiate if they decide to make a new independent team, and I'm sure many other Irrational Games fans share the sentiment.

aeolist

Banned
As long as no one is losing their job, I'm happy. After BioShock 2 and the changes they made to BioShock Infinite post-reveal, I've been completely dissatisfied with everything they've put out in recent memory.

a lot of people have lost their jobs

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Alien: Isolation (I'm being generous with AAA here, though I kind of expect it to tank relative to budget anyway) and Evolve (I'm also being generous with AAA here by modern standards, it was even going to be f2p at one point).

Is Deep Down disqualified because its f2p, or is it later on?

But, yeah. AAA disc-based games are endangered. Even Cliffy gets it. :p

spirity

Ask yourself this question though: Is the tweet wrong? This guy probably has more inside baseball knowledge on what is going on than the rest of us.

To me this whole endeavor doesn't shine a good light on Ken Levine.

Who knows? You can't take anything at face value. The tweet could be 100% correct or it could be from a butt hurt ex-employee, wanting to stick the boot in.

sflufan

Banned

I suggest you read the OP again very carefully.

H3xum

I forgot about the mass exodus prior to the Infinite launch. Was the main team working on the Rapture DLC? Did they wrap, gold it, and then pull the plug?

Top Bottom