• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irrational Mac hate

Status
Not open for further replies.

lachesis

Shogmaster said:
Well shit, then you guys should know how I feel! "You do graphics? Then you NEED to use Macs!"

My understading of this was:
"You do graphics? Then you NEED to use Macs - because you graphic people are not smart enough to handle PCs and won't be able to get the job done".

If it wasn't your intension, then nevermind and my apologies. Perhaps, I'm over-reacting.

lachesis

Matlock

Banned
Phoenix said:
I would sooner run Linux.
:D

:lol

My old (3 years) computer is now running on 256mb of ram, 1 ghz processor, but for about 1.75 of those years, it was on 128mb and I didn't really have any problems with it even then.

Right now, I'm running off of a laptop with 3.0/512, and I loves it. :D

lachesis said:
My understading of this was:
"You do graphics? Then you NEED to use Macs - because you graphic people are not smart enough to handle PCs and won't be able to get the job done".

If it wasn't your intension, then nevermind and my apologies. Perhaps, I'm over-reacting.

lachesis

Wow, you read strangely into that one. I don't even know how you got there....

My point was that I constantly get commented that I should use Macs instead of PCs by people who think only Macs can do graphic apps.

somnific

Shogmaster said:
Well shit, then you guys should know how I feel! "You do graphics? Then you NEED to use Macs!"

i definitely understand. same feeling i get when people can't get why i'd spend the money i do on apple products and INSIST that i am wasting my money. fucking people and their blinders; buying a mac doesn't mean i hate or cannot use pc's, nor does buying a pc mean you can't be fully capable using graphic apps.

somnific said:
i definitely understand. same feeling i get when people can't get why i'd spend the money i do on apple products and INSIST that i am wasting my money. fucking people and their blinders; buying a mac doesn't mean i hate or cannot use pc's, nor does buying a pc mean you can't be fully capable using graphic apps.

I'd imagine 90% of this kind of bickering in real life can be avoided if Mac fans stop being so damn fanatical!

At the recent San Diego comicon, Ron Lemens was doing a really cool digital portrait demo, and was talking about a bug that exists in Painter while working on the demo. Some Mac loon interupts him and precedes to lecture him that if he used Macs instead, he wouldn't have such problems. Ron was humoring the guy, so guy keeps going on and on, so I had to tell the fool that the same bug exists on the Mac version of Painter, so he can shut up and let the damn demo continue. Obviously, the guy never used Painter in his life.

In messageboards on the other hand, it's unnecessary flaming all the way for fun and profit! Guilty~ *raises hand* :D

SHog, if you only spend $1000 for your premium box, then I assume that's a product of some of your own skill/labor. Or else it's not the equivilent of a $2000 Mac.

Ignatz Mouse said:
SHog, if you only spend $1000 for your premium box, then I assume that's a product of some of your own skill/labor. Or else it's not the equivilent of a $2000 Mac.

I build my own box. Is that what you mean? Yeah, buying an OEM machine for $1000 won't go as long a way. As for $1000 PC vs $2000 Mac, you'd be surprised:

Code:
 $1000 OEM PC                         $1000 built PC                       $2000 Mac

3.2 Ghz Prescott P4                  3.4 Ghz Prescott P4                  Dual 1.8Ghz G5
512MB PC3200                         1GB PC3200                           256MB PC3200
200GB Serial ATA HD                  200GB Serial ATA HD                  80GB Serial ATA HD
8X DVD +/_ RW                        16X DVD +/- RW                       8X DVD +/_ RW 
128MB ATI RADEON X300 SE             128MB nVidia 6600GT                  64MB NVIDIA GeForce FX5200U

xsarien

daedsiluap
Shogmaster said:
All negated by Windows user that knows what he/she is doing, and how to set up their machine.

You assume Windows users know what they're doing? Man, and you called me "optimistic" in that DNF thread. :p

What the hell, does one need to install new program every other day? Who cares? Shit, by the time those things come into play, I've done my every 6~9 months OS reinstall. And don't tell me any crap about OSX not requiring reinstall. I worked in compter retail. We had to reinstall OSX machines every once in a while, just like PCs, to make it run better.

Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean much, no offense. But for every Mac you reinstalled, there were probably several others that don't need it nearly as often as a Windows box.

I'd trust a custom installed Win 2000 machine for mission critical over any OSX install from factory.

Hey, I'm certainly not saying you're not allowed to live dangerously... :p

xsarien said:
You assume Windows users know what they're doing? Man, and you called me "optimistic" in that DNF thread. :p

There are bunch of us who do know what we're doing. ;)

Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean much, no offense. But for every Mac you reinstalled, there were probably several others that don't need it nearly as often as a Windows box.

Dude, these were retail display machines, neither side remained in tip top shape for long. About the same IMO.

Hey, I'm certainly not saying you're not allowed to live dangerously... :p

I'm KERAZY ya know.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Shogmaster said:
$1000 built PC

Built by whom? :p Part of the retail price of any computer is that you get a warranty that covers the whole magilla, including part swapping if the case warrants it.

xsarien said:
Built by whom? :p

BY ME!!!! WOOHOO!!!!

Part of the retail price of any computer is that you get a warranty that covers the whole magilla, including part swapping if the case warrants it.

Woo, 1 year limited warranty. *rolleyes* I get 3 years warranty on most of the parts I use from the manufacturers (i tend to buy retail boxed parts). That's hack of alot better than 1 year limited warranty from OEMs like HP and Dell.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Shogmaster said:
BY ME!!!! WOOHOO!!!!

Woo, 1 year limited warranty. *rolleyes* I get 3 years warranty on most of the parts I use from the manufacturers (i tend to buy retail boxed parts). That's hack of alot better than 1 year limited warranty from OEMs like HP and Dell.

You're not thinking like the mainstream consumer, who'll probably just want Dell to fix it regardless of who made that specific part.

xsarien said:
You're not thinking like the mainstream consumer, who'll probably just want Dell to fix it regardless of who made that specific part.

That's why I provided 2 different examples of PC pricing, genius. Those folks get the poopy $1000 OEM PC.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Shogmaster said:
That's why I provided 2 different examples of PC pricing, genius. Those folks get the poopy $1000 OEM PC.

I pasted the wrong part of your post, my bad. But my question still applies:

Built by whom? :p A $1000 Crap, Inc. PC will probably fall apart pretty quickly. It's not just about the specs, it's about who makes the individual components and who's slapping their logo on the box.

xsarien said:
I pasted the wrong part of your post, my bad. But my question still applies:

Built by whom? :p A $1000 Crap, Inc. PC will probably fall apart pretty quickly.

WTF, do you ride the damn thing to work everyday? WTH are you jibberjabbering about homey? It won't do spontaneous combustion, 'K?

If you must know, that $1000 OEM PC was a Gateway one I found at Best Buy's website.

It's not just about the specs, it's about who makes the individual components and who's slapping their logo on the box.

Something tells me you won't be happy until I get you an example of a $1000 Falcon Northwest or Voodoo PC. *place rolleyes here*

xsarien

daedsiluap
Shogmaster said:
WTF, do you ride the damn thing to work everyday? WTH are you jibberjabbering about homey? It won't do spontaneous combustion, 'K?

So, a funny story about some old Toshiba laptop I once had...

Something tells me you won't be happy until I get you an example of a $1000 Falcon Northwest or Voodoo PC. *place rolleyes here*

I'll be happy when you start comparing apples to apples (er, no pun intended.) :p Unfortunately, that really can't happen unless you can dig up a consumer PC manufacturer who uses their own, customized operating system on top of their own hardware.

border said:
http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=63

3 Ghz P4, 512 MB Corsair RAM, 160 GB Western Digital hard drive, Asus mobo, 128 MB Radeon 9800 SE.....

Jesus Christ, it's like Megatron married a Wurlitzer. Who the hell buys cases like that?

xsarien said:
So, a funny story about some old Toshiba laptop I once had...

You rode it to work everyday?

I'll be happy when you stop comparing apples to apples (er, no pun intended.) :p Unfortunately, that really can't happen unless you can dig up a consumer PC manufacturer who uses their own, customized operating system on top of their own hardware.

My pun first. Get your own.

And as for your lame cop out, the only thing that really matters is how they use the apps that are common to both.

Jesus Christ, it's like Megatron married a Wurlitzer. Who the hell buys cases like that?

They have case choices there ya know.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Shogmaster said:
And as for your lame cop out, the only thing that really matters is how they use the apps that are common to both.

How is it a cop out? Apple doesn't use Windows, they write their own operating system, and yeah, they're going to make you pay for the pleasure of using something that's designed for every inch of hardware in that liquid-cooled case.

They have case choices there ya know.

Man, you should check to see if they have a sense of humor in stock. :p

As my Chinese friend Song-De Wang used to always say:

MACS SUCK!!

I couldn't have said it better myself. He even signed my yearbook with this, along with his name. I shit you not.

xsarien said:
How is it a cop out? Apple doesn't use Windows, they write their own operating system, and yeah, they're going to make you pay for the pleasure of using something that's designed for every inch of hardware in that liquid-cooled case.

What? I can't understand you mumbling with Steve Job's dick in your mounth.

Man, you should check to see if they have a sense of humor in stock. :p

Oh man, your def of sense of humor needs major tweaking.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Shogmaster said:
Oh man, your def of sense of humor needs major tweaking.

Maybe, but if it does it's just further proof that if I ran on OS X, it'd be just fine out of the box.

ZING!

snaildog

I hate Macs because instead of each program having its own single window, they're all made up of bunches of little windows that are all on top of each other and all share the same space for the menu bar, so you never know what the hell's going on, and it jumps to another program if you click in the wrong place. And the one-button mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom