• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IRS Scam Kingpin 24 year old 'Shaggy' arrested in Mumbai, accused of stealing ~ $300m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thane Man Who Gifted 2.5 Crore Audi To Girlfriend Arrested In $300 Million Scam
sagar-thakkar-650_650x400_61477668650.jpg

An alleged conman, who had gifted an Audi car worth Rs. 2.5 crore to his girlfriend, has been arrested by the Thane police following his deportation from Dubai. Sagar Thakkar, also known as 'Shaggy', is accused of masterminding a call centre scam in which thousands of victims, mostly from South Asia, were extorted by callers pretending to be US tax officers threatening them with arrest and deportation of they did not remit money to the government.

According to the US Department of Homeland Security, Thakkar is said to have extorted nearly $300 million from the scam, which has been operational since 2013. A US attorney in Texas set charges against a total of 56 people and five Indian companies for conspiracy to commit identity theft, impersonation of an officer of the US, wire fraud and money laundering.

The scam was unearthed when the police raided call centres at Mira Road in Thane district on October 4 last year. A lookout notice was subsequently issued against him on October 7, two days after he fled the country. Thakkar was picked up from Mumbai airport on Friday night by the police. The police had earlier arrested Jagdish Kanani, with whom Thakkar began working at the

The police said that 24-year-old Sagar Thakkar led an affluent life and was a regular figure in the Mumbai party circle. He was accompanied around by a battery of bouncers and bodyguards and was fond of high-end vehicles.

Investigators added that he had purchased an Audi R8 car, valued at Rs. 2.5 crore, from cricketer Virat Kohli in May last year. However, Thane police chief Param Bir Singh said that Mr Kohli was an "innocent seller" who had no idea who he was dealing with. The luxury car was seized from Ahmedabad

Thakkar had supposedly purchased the car for his girlfriend as a birthday present.

CNN: Indian police arrest alleged ringleader of IRS scam
Police in India have arrested a man they say was the ringleader of a network of call centers that allegedly swindled thousands of Americans out of millions of dollars.

Sagar Thakkar, 24, was detained in Mumbai after arriving on a flight from Dubai on Saturday.

"He was the mastermind of IRS scam call centers in the state of Maharashtra and one center in Ahmedabad," said Mukund Hatote, assistant commissioner of police in Thane, just north of Mumbai.

Hatote said Thakkar stands accused of extortion, cheating, impersonation, criminal conspiracy as well as violating India's communications and tech laws.

News of the scam broke last October when Indian police raided nine calls centers -- eight in Thane in Maharashtra -- and arrested more than 70 people on suspicion of posing as IRS agents to steal cash from U.S. citizens.

Workers at bogus call centers used American accents to impersonate IRS agents. They told their victims that they owed back taxes and would risk arrest if they hung up or failed to pay up.

Thakkar -- also known as "Shaggy" -- was one of 61 defendants mentioned in a U.S. indictment unsealed last October. The bogus call center workers were accused of stealing from 15,000 people by using the IRS scam and other fraud schemes.

U.S. prosecutors say the defendants also posed as immigration officers and threatened victims with deportation unless they paid a fine immediately. They said in October that 20 people across eight U.S. states had been arrested.

Indian police say they have charged more than 390 people in connection with the scheme, and more than 12 remain in jail.

Bought Audi R8 for his girlfriend with Scam money

call-centre-scam-mastermind-bought-audi-r8-for-rs-2-5-cr-from-virat-kohli-seized-by-thane-police.jpg

witness

My wife kept getting these calls a few months ago and man, I've never seen her get so pissed in my life. She would angrily troll the shit out of them. We just kept thinking about elderly people who don't know better that they fucked over. There's a lot of YouTube videos that people recorded doing the same thing. They got these people to say some wild shit lol.Good riddance.

It seems like the way to do this is to snag a few million and bail out, not keep it up for years and extort hundreds of millions. Glad they got this fool. Really crazy to think about literally hundreds of millions of dollars were seemingly being siphoned out of the USA by this guy.

F***.THIS.POS.

My mom almost got scammed a few years ago. I'm so thankful my mom got in touch with me before transferring any money. The f***ERS tried to claim that the IRS are going to arrest my dad that had a stroke some months earlier. And this was while my mom was emotionally unstable because my dad was essentially dying.

Fuck him to eternity.

kmag

Most shocking thing is Cricket players have Audi R8 money

Kohli gets $2.26 million for 6 weeks work a year in the IPL. Between that his central BCCI contract of $4 million per year and his $20 million a year in endorsements he's banking close to $27 million a year.

Even some of the Australians like Steve Smith and David Warner are making close $5 million a year. The Australian international central contracts are about $900,000 AU a year before they've played a game with match fees of $25,000 per match, add to that endorsements, IPL, Big Bash and maybe an English county contract and it adds up.

The English central contracts are about £700,000 retainer and £12,500 per match.

There's decent bank in cricket these days.

If this is the female automated voice message from IRS with a call back number, that called me...glad they finally got them.

Latest shit I got is some spoofer of Amazon SMS code with shady links trying to hack me. You're next motherfuckers!!!

Dynomutt

No fronts?
No go between?
Public call centers?
Where was his buffer? All that security/money and no fall guy?
Taking pictures?
An R8!!!!!
Did he even wash the cash?
Did he try kiting the funds?
Buying cars on your government name? Thats a no no!

Dude is in India one of the telecom capitals of the world he could have washed his money so many different ways. Create a bunk MVNO, Create a 1 dollar app that does nothing, maybe open up a cell repair shop!

If he was in US he would have gotten popped a a long time ago surprised it took four years. Dude was kicking it with the high society and was essentially a celeb! G's move in silence man you have to let it bubble quietly then you let it blow.

Send this dude back to Crime 101!

_90397693_mediaitem90395534.jpg

Must've been stuntin' too much!

NEO0MJ

It seems like the way to do this is to snag a few million and bail out, not keep it up for years and extort hundreds of millions. Glad they got this fool. Really crazy to think about literally hundreds of millions of dollars were seemingly being siphoned out of the USA by this guy.

You can never have enough money. And like many criminals if they got away with it once they try it again, especially if they're young.

No fronts?
No go between?
Public call centers?
Where was his buffer? All that security/money and no fall guy?
Taking pictures?
An R8!!!!!
Did he even wash the cash?
Did he try kiting the funds?
Buying cars on your government name? Thats a no no!

Dude is in India one of the telecom capitals of the world he could have washed his money so many different ways. Create a bunk MVNO, Create a 1 dollar app that does nothing, maybe open up a cell repair shop!

If he was in US he would have gotten popped a a long time ago surprised it took four years. Dude was kicking it with the high society and was essentially a celeb! G's move in silence man you have to let it bubble quietly then you let it blow.

Send this dude back to Crime 101!

_90397693_mediaitem90395534.jpg

Must've been stuntin' too much!

C'mon bruh, y'know the allure of fame and stuntin' on folks is way too strong.

I don't think anything will top BMF in Atlanta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom