• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12-year-old Sikh boy arrested in US after classmate accuses him of carrying a bomb

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDX

Why did it take 3 days to figure out he didn't have a bomb?

I mean at least in the other case the kid had a clock that could scare ignorant people. And even he wasn't locked up for 3 days.

Is this story accurate? Just an accusation from a classmate, then a 12 year old is locked up for 3 days? If this story is true it seems insane to me.

SimleuqiR

I mean at least in the other case the kid had a clock that could scare ignorant people. And even he wasn't locked up for 3 days.

Is this story accurate? Just an accusation from a classmate, then a 12 year old is locked up for 3 days? If this story is true it seems insane to me.

Guilty until proven innocent...unless you are white.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
They should torture him and kill his family nonetheless, just to not appear as weak as Obama. A neurosurgeon recently told me that it would be normal if the kid would not understand it at first. But sometimes you have to open the head to remove a tumor.

Uh, he apparently admitted to joking about having a bomb.

Yeah. I was about to comment how stupid it was that another Sikh got targeted, and then read the boy is making jokes like that...this not the climate to be doing that. He shpuldnt have been arrested, but joking about bombs..

Seventy70

Could you say this would have happened if he was white? Everyone would have just ignored it.

It's a fucking 12 year old. Doesn't take rocket science to tell whether or not they are being serious. All it takes is pulling them aside for a moment and having a small talk, not arresting them.

I think the bigger problem is the fact that the authorities actually felt it was necessary to actually do anything.

Eh, bomb threats are serious and certainly worth investigating, for every ones safety in general, even if a child reports it.

However the bully who did so is the one who should have ended up with the police, it's a serious accusation and should have consequences for making up false stories.

Mudcrab

Free speech tho?

Some of ya'll are too young to remember but this kind of paranoia was prevalent after Columbine too. If you made a joke about shooting up some jocks you were in for a bad, bad time.

Still, inexcusable behavior from the authorities. I mean 3 days without contacting his parents?

itsgreen

Ok I must be missing something but shouldn't the headline be:

12 year old talks about having a bomb, is arrested after classmate notifies authorities ?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
This.

Unfortunate situation but you can't be joking about that kind of stuff.

Yeah, you shouldn't joke about it, but what is more likely:

(1) A 12-year-old boy being a 12-year-old boy.
(2) For the first time in US history, a 12-year-old boy brings a bomb to school and another 12-year-old boy conveniently discovers it.

CDX

Another story with the police claiming he admitted to making the threat as well for those interested. States he made a joke but the family is claiming otherwise, moreover the person being investigated didn't even seem to know how long he was being detained for either... eh.

But police and school officials tell a different story and have charged the 12-year-old with a felony: making a terroristic threat.

On Thursday morning, officials with Arlington ISD confirmed to The Dallas Morning News that Arlington police indeed arrested Sarai last week “for making a bomb threat.”

Police evacuated the classroom and concluded that the backpack didn’t have a bomb, Cook said. Sarai admitted to mentioning a bomb and insisted that he was kidding, but was taken to the county’s juvenile detention center.

I'm glad that link was added to the OP post, because it wasn't there at first.

Well if he admitted to making a joke about having a bomb, I can at least understand why he was charged.

You can't joke about something like that.

Pavaloo

this poor kid :(

edit: didn't see him joking about having a bomb. i still think it should have been handled better

Seventy70

This.

Unfortunate situation but you can't be joking about that kind of stuff.

You shouldn't joke about it, but all it takes is common sense to handle the situation given that it's a 12 year old. All that was necessary was to pull him aside to have a talk and maybe call his parents.

bionic77

Sorry Armaan but we as a country are too busy being scared and hatful to show you any empathy.

These kinds of jokes are better left with more trustworthy races.

Please understand.

Iorv3th

The bully won. The school system failed. Polic failed.

The kid said he had a bomb in his backpack. The 'bully' was just another kid turning him in for saying that. Even if it was a 'joke' you don't joke about that shit at school.

The kid said he had a bomb in his backpack. The 'bully' was just another kid turning him in for saying that. Even if it was a 'joke' you don't joke about that shit at school.

You also don't throw a kid in juvie for 3 days and not tell his family where he is over a joke.

I'm glad that link was added to the OP post, because it wasn't there at first.

Well if he admitted to making a joke about having a bomb, I can at least understand why he was charged.

You can't joke about something like that.

o_O He is a kid in school talking to his mates. Not an adult in a crowded theater or a plane.

TarNaru33

Banned
Yeah, you shouldn't joke about it, but what is more likely:

(1) A 12-year-old boy being a 12-year-old boy.
(2) For the first time in US history, a 12-year-old boy brings a bomb to school and another 12-year-old boy conveniently discovers it.

In U.S, that 2nd scenario is actually quite possible. It don't take a genius to create a bomb, though it would of been more likely to have been a gun than a bomb.

The handling of this was poorly done, it should of been more discrete and the parents should of been alerted to it immediately. Other than that, bomb or gun threats are taken very seriously in schools.

EDIT:

I love how people, say "he is a kid" as if there never been a "kid" shooting others before or that him being "a kid' makes him less dangerous. The only thing that makes it unlikely, is that he said it was a bomb.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Eh, bomb threats are serious and certainly worth investigating, for every ones safety in general, even if a child reports it.

However the bully who did so is the one who should have ended up with the police, it's a serious accusation and should have consequences for making up false stories.

I do agree - to a point. I agree that bomb threats are serious and must be investigated.

However, in this case they could have just sat both kids down and given them a stern talking to. As usual, the US takes things way, way too far.

the kid who "notified the authorities" on him:

trollface-gear.png
jr.

This isn't meant to excuse the police for locking the kid up for three days, nor the bully for intentionally escalating the situation beyond jokes but

Sarai admitted to mentioning a bomb and insisted that he was kidding, but was taken to the county’s juvenile detention center.

Mentioning that you have a bomb is probably not the brightest idea.

Valhelm

contribute something
So, did he say he had a bomb? If he did, I can see why the police would react harshly. But I'm sure he was treaty more harshly because he's brown.

Shadoken

You also don't throw a kid in juvie for 3 days and not tell his family where he is over a joke.

This , this , this..... How the fuck are people conveniently ignoring this point. Do they seriously believe Race has nothing to do with it? And that this would have happened to any other kid. Thats BS , the most you would have got is a slap on the wrist and you parents would have been contacted immediately.

And the bully is probably being celebrated as some sort of hero in the school , heck I wouldn't be surprised if bully would have been thrown in jail for 3days had he also been brown.

Volimar

Principal should be jailed for child endangerment.

As a Sikh man that sports a turban and a beard, I was actually quite nervous going to Seattle last weekend and was glad to be home in Canada even though nothing happened to me. I read these stories and I feel awful for American Sikhs. I've had racist shit thrown at me after 9/11, and I was like 12.

It sucks. Between this and the guy who got shot in the face (thank God he survived)... I dunno. It sucks feeling this shitty about it. My heart goes out to them.

I'm glad I live in Vancouver.

I dunno dude. Sporting the beard at 12 makes you look kind of suspicious.

So, did he say he had a bomb? If he did, I can see why the police would react harshly. But I'm sure he was treaty more harshly because he's brown.

Police say yes, family say no. I wanna see the receipts.

principles and teachers who can't tell which kid is a bully should not be teachers or principles.

The bully should be the one to get arrested for crying wolf

Jag

The article also states other kids were joking about bombs. You know, how kids like to one up each other. Why did only the brown kid go to jail?

Clockwork

I guess context is important. We don't really know the discussion that took place. It could have been a simple retort to the bully's attacks.

I picture something like this...

Bully: Hey terrorist! Hey Muslim!

Boy: Leave me alone!

Bully: What are you going to do about it? Shoot me? Blow me up?

Boy: Yeah, I have a bomb in my backpack with your name written all over it. (sarcasm)

Obviously the above is just pointless conjecture but I can see how something might be said without him really thinking things through or the consequences/reaction it might garner.

Madness

He said he was joking with his friends, someone overheard it, supposedly a 'bully' who probably didn't like him and told the principal. Because he's a brown Sikh, principal calls police who arrest him and keep him in juvenile hall without even notifying the parents.

It's funny, I'm watching CNN right now. That affluenza white kid who killed 4 people after drunk driving and paralyzing 2 more, got off with probation, he and his mom fled after he was found to be playing beer pong, but 12 year old and elementary school kids who are brown are thrown in jail and suspected of being terrorists, zero tolerance for them.

rjinaz

I guess context is important. We don't really know the discussion that took place. It could have been a simple retort to the bully's attacks.

I picture something like this...

Bully: Hey terrorist! Hey Muslim!

Boy: Leave me alone!

Bully: What are you going to do about it? Shoot me? Blow me up?

Boy: Yeah, I have a bomb in my backpack with your name written all over it. (sarcasm)

Obviously the above is just pointless conjecture but I can see how something might be said without him really thinking things through or the consequences/reaction it might garner.

Having been in a bully situation myself at that age, I can say that even I have said things like this. I would say anything just to avoid getting beaten up, etc.

If the kid did say he had a bomb, the school had to react, but what happened after is ridiculous. No way in my mind had my white 12 year old nephew joked he had a bomb would he had been taken away for 3 days and his parents having no idea where he was taken. Probably would have been suspended though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom