• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 4K enough for you? Should the gaming industry pursue higher resolutions for PS6-XB? And what's the limit?

When do we hit the diminishing returns point in resolution terms?

• 1440p

Votes: 85 20.1%

Votes: 209 49.4%

Votes: 38 9.0%

Votes: 1 0.2%

Votes: 18 4.3%
  • Resolution should always increase no matter what

Votes: 15 3.5%
  • It will always depend on screen size/viewing distance

Votes: 57 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hoddi

1440p is barely any better than 1080 unless you use good aa, ch etc
I think many people judge 1080p by how it looks on their 4k display which is usually completely awful. 1440p doesn't scale up as poorly which makes it compare much more favorably on a 4k screen.

But if you compare a native 1080p screen to a native 1440p screen then the difference is much smaller than many people think. The jump from 1440p to 4k was far more visible to me.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I can't believe anyone seriously thinks anything beyond 8k will ever be necessary. 8k is already a joke itself, let alone fucking 16k or whatever mad resolution comes after it.

Just how large do people think screens are gonna get to justify that? Most people don't have rooms big enough to make it feasible, and that's before they'd have to actually pay for them.

They should focus on AI upscalers.

One and done. Why waste the bulk of your resources on features almost nobody would notice, when you could use smart reconstruction and upscaling techniques, and invest the power at your disposal to advance raytracing, simulation and next-generation graphical effects?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
4k is plenty.

Modern games can barely do it now. And maybe 0.001% have 8k tvs.

There's limited 4k movies and 4k cable tv channels too. It seems the push for 4k comes from gaming. I don't see NF users or anyone watching tv begging for 4k versions.

Resolution has got to a point most people wont even notice, so best to funnel power into better effects, physics and stabilize a high frame rate.

However, dont be surprised if devs do the easy route first and go for res boosts first.

Game studio priority list:

1. Resolution
2. Textures
3. Photo mode boosted effects
4. Crazy shit like hair strand effects
99. Physics
100. AI

1440p is good enough for this gen (at least in my opinion). Way more games would be hitting higher frame rates and to the average person, they likely wouldn’t see the difference between that and 4K.

We certainly don’t need 8K TVs anytime soon.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It all depends on your vision and how sharp it is. I would say 8K+ is still wonderful, assuming that we get super powerful HW. But if you had to make sacrafices then I could even settle for 1080p upscaled smartly like in Returnal. Didn't play DL2 so can't tell if it's done right or not.

Native 4K@120fps should be possible on PS6, on some games. Depending on the game I might say 60fps comes first in most games unless the difference in graphics is pretty high.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
If it isn’t 60FPS, then I’d prefer resolution going down until it is.

I’m Steve Ballmer but swap “developers” for “performance mode.”

Goalus

At what point does it stop making sense to pursue greater screen resolutions?
When screens cannot become any larger.
Currently I sit at a 2,5 m distance from a 75" TV. While 4k looks great, 1080p only looks "OK".
I could see myself keeping that viewing distance while upgrading to a 110" or 120" MicroLED in 8-10 years. Then at least 8k is mandatory. More than 120" at a 2,5 m viewing distance most likely doesn't make sense.
So in conclusion I'd say 16k is probably the point at which I don't care anymore.

Last edited:

YCoCg

So in conclusion I'd say 16k is probably the point at which I don't care anymore.
But what good is 16k if the majority of content has to be upscaled? By that point only 70mm film could come close, you've blown past 35mm at that point.

PeteBull

1440p is considered a sweet spot with tech right now because it is a noticeable increase to 1080p, while keeping frame rate high. Assuming PS6 and Xbox Series X one X^2 Final Prologue are 4 times as powerful as PS5 and series X, you'll have 8k 30 next gen.
More safe assumption- by that time ps5 and xsx can only run those games in 1080p60 so next gen gonna be 4k60 at 4x gpu increase(ofc bandwith/ram and some srs cpu increase will happen too).
Im talking of games with visual quality similar/close to matrix demo that dips even to 20fps in stressful moments and res wise it can dip below 1440p sometimes too already.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

i think that this generation and the next ( if there will be one ) they should focus on making the games more complex when it comes to interaction , level design , AI , making the worlds more alive not just npcs run around like robots , improved writing , very few games had good writing in the last gen

KungFucius

King Snowflake
4K is probably enough. I can't see myself getting a TV much bigger than 85inches, but maybe I can find a way to make that work. This gen is not yet at a level of 4k quality that warrants thinking about 8k.

Hunnybun

But what good is 16k if the majority of content has to be upscaled? By that point only 70mm film could come close, you've blown past 35mm at that point.

Surely the limit is a screen that fills your field of view, so you don't have to turn your head to see any part of it.

I sit about 7ft from my 65" screen and I'm not THAT far off that situation in the first place. I can barely tell the difference between native 4k and 1440p from there.

I reckon about 85" would be enough so that my whole FOV is occupied by the screen. I reckon 4k would be hard to distinguish from 8k. Not a fucking chance would I need 16k or anything like that.

I really think for flat panels 4k is about the limit of useful resolutions. It's VR where 8k and beyond would be beneficial.

Dream-Knife

Banned
More safe assumption- by that time ps5 and xsx can only run those games in 1080p60 so next gen gonna be 4k60 at 4x gpu increase(ofc bandwith/ram and some srs cpu increase will happen too).
Im talking of games with visual quality similar/close to matrix demo that dips even to 20fps in stressful moments and res wise it can dip below 1440p sometimes too already.
That's probably an optimization issue. UE5 is supposed to scale better than 4, including easy scaling to Switch and mobile. I just hope they got rid of the random UE4 stutters.

This gen will likely be 2160/30. They always over promise, as PS3 was said to be able to use 120fps too. Really console guns follow/trail tvs by a few years now. 7th gen was 720p, 8th gen was 1080p, 9th gen is 2160p. 4320p tvs are starting to take off now.

Of course this gen will probably be very long, so perhaps the pro models will be advertised as 8k like the pro models last gen were advertised as 4k.

PS5 lists compatibility with 8K displays, and Xbox Series X is technically capable of outputting 8K as well. 8K displays are already available for consumers for quite some time and the industry won't ever stop trying to sell us new stuff.

A lot of people said 1080p was good enough when 4K displays came out, and now we see people complaining, in this very forum, that it's a shame that Dying Light 2 could "only" run at 1080p 60fps on the newest consoles.

We won't see 8K become mainstream this generation, but do you believe it will happen at some point in the next one? If that happens, do you believe that's a good or a bad thing? And how do you feel about 4K? Is it enough or is there still room for significant improvement in the resolution department?

At what point does it stop making sense to pursue greater screen resolutions?
They also said 720p was good enough when 1080p screens were in their earlier days.

amigastar

For now i plan to play on a 1080p monitor to save some money unless someone can explain the benefits of a 4k monitor to me besides Resolution and Image Quality.
I mean can i play full hd on a 4k monitor and it upscales it to 4k like the tv of my dad can? I'm not very up to date.

Last edited:

Melon Husk

It will always depend on screen size/viewing distance
It's not about the pixels. Pixel count is a technical detail.
Form and function and always the primary goal. Beauty and aesthetic.

Top Bottom