• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What will be the "end-game" resolution for home entertainment?

What will be the end-game resolution for home entertainment?

Votes: 17 17.3%

Votes: 15 15.3%

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • It will never stop increasing, human greed has no limits.

Votes: 59 60.2%

• Total voters
Yes and no. I doubt flat screen entertainment will go far beyond 8k, there's just no point and you have to remember that mastering content for higher resolutions is prohibitively expensive. The tech evolution will move on to panel tech, 3D, mixed reality, smell-o-vision and shit like that.

For VR, smart glasses, eye implants etc there's definitely a point in going to 16k and perhaps even beyond so res will keep going up and will be a big selling point.

E-Cat

The end-game? Maximum human visual acuity. So what is that, 60 pixels per degree over a 120 degree FoV? 8k seems quite sufficient.

Full FoV VR will require maybe 2-4x more?

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
They'll have to.
Otherwise people will just keep the TVs they buy for ten years and the manufacturers will go out of business.

I'm actually hoping they go back to including powerful front facing speakers in the body of the TV. I never mount anything on a wall. I have no need for a 10mm display. Make mine as thick as necessary to include large speaker enclosures and a nuclear plant-draining amplifier.
My old Sony X930c has those front firing speakers and coupled with the wireless sub the audio from it is absolutely sublime, hell even the picture on this what 8yr old telly is still incredible

FunkMiller

Gold Member
We've probably just about reached the top of where resolution needs to be. The next advance will be to make TVs even thinner, lighter and easier to put anywhere. Also audio quality is a big thing. There are still no TVs on the market with decent sound systems that don't require a soundbar.

YCoCg

4k hasn't even been perfected yet and soo much content is still mastered under it, we're hitting the point if diminishing returns, we have to fake 4k on consoles and PC games, the only thing left to provide better quality movie wise is good 35mm and 70mm mastered movies, everything else is under that. Outside of demo material or 70mm movies 8k/16k is pretty damn pointless and is more to do with screen makers panicking because they can't push forward in other areas yet.

Streaming will plateau resolution. The only content really pushing anything is gaming and live Sports, and the later is only football.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The end game will be Star Trek style holodecks. You can't get better than that.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
we already at the end game - it's watching Oppenheimer on your phone

Thierry Henry Smile GIF by hamlet

Hugare

I dont think a lot of people care about audio either past CD quality stereos and home theatre systems everyone got in the 90s.

Heck, pretty sure DVDs destroyed BR and 4k discs combined and DVDs I think are only 480p or 720p. An article I just saw on Google says DVDs outsold BR again just recently.
I follow a films distributor here in Brazil that makes limited runs of some movies

They stopped printing their movies in BR 'cause people were only buying them on DVDs. And this happened recently, like 2022.

Absolute madness. I was pissed lol

Some movies dont come to Brazil, so these independent distributors are all we got. And I want my movies in BR

To me 1080p is enough for most medias, but I preffer my favorite movies at the highest fidelity possible

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
There will new amazing stuff coming out until the day we all die. Some will be misses, like 3D, and some will be gems, like 4K and Atmos.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I follow a films distributor here in Brazil that makes limited runs of some movies

They stopped printing their movies in BR 'cause people were only buying them on DVDs. And this happened recently, like 2022.

Absolute madness. I was pissed lol

Some movies dont come to Brazil, so these independent distributors are all we got. And I want my movies in BR

To me 1080p is enough for most medias, but I preffer my favorite movies at the highest fidelity possible
It is madness. It's not like BR players are super expensive. They were all dumped for $99 like DVD players were. 4k players are different. They seem to all be $300-ish where I live last time I checked.

But looks like nobody cares about BR's higher res and better quality sound. It shows that the average media buyer would rather stick with a 20 year old DVD player buying $15 DVDs than upgrading to a BR player and buying the better movie at $20.

And if BR cant come close to DVD, there is no way 4k will. Higher costs and streaming has now taken over most people's media watching whose feeds arent even true 1080p or 4k. Most people dont care.

As for higher res TVs, as long as companies keep upping up res as part of the evolution of TVs, people will eventually convert to whatever res becomes standard since everyone has to buy a new TV at some point when their current one breaks. I dont think they even sell 720p or 1080p tvs anymore(?). If so they must be super hard to find. Seems even the most bargain tv at $300 is still a Hisense or TCL 4k smart tv now.

Top Bottom