• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 60 FPS killing overall graphical fidelity?

8BiTw0LF

Banned
jep, I am boycotting everything 30fps. it's about principles here.

also with Sony going in on PC, there won't be many console exclusive games anymore soon hopefully
I boycutted 30fps in 2017. Just like listening to 128kbps mp3's/streams and watching 720p movies and shows.

It's good to have some quality sense and standards.

jep, I am boycotting everything 30fps. it's about principles here.

also with Sony going in on PC, there won't be many console exclusive games anymore soon hopefully
You have my M&K. It's a very easy decision for me. Sometimes just for funzies I artificially limit whatever game I'm playing and having fun with to 30fps (flat line framepaced 30fps). To see if I can tolerate. It's amazing how soon the experience goes from fun to not fun. Without fail.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
60 fps all day, I don't care how good 30fps graphics are if the camera moves like ass.
Delusional people in here thinks you can do magic and make good camera movement at 30 fps.

What people doesn't understand is its not possible. People have low standards and can't tell the difference.

30 fps has the double amount of input lag as 60 fps, and you can't do magic and remove that no matter how much you try. It is simply not technically possible.
Doesnt matter how many times you say it or how many people say it.
Some brains just cant conceive a good playable 30 fps.
Screen_Shot_2019-01-24_at_3.23.42_PM.jpg

I sure as hell will not buy a single game this gen that isn't 60fps.

Elden Ring was right at the edge of acceptable for me and only thanks to VRR
I'm sorry, but then you will miss out on almost every single game in a year or two.
That's a stupid boycott.
You are just removing yourself from the fun of games...
But whatever - you can play anything you want on a pc
Yeah if you care about graphics and performance then pc is the way to go.

There is a reason why these consoles costs the half of the price of a good gaming rig. You get what you pay for.

rofif

Banned
Delusional people in here thinks you can do magic and make good camera movement at 30 fps.

What people doesn't understand is its not possible. People have low standards and can't tell the difference.

30 fps has the double amount of input lag as 60 fps, and you can't do magic and remove that no matter how much you try. It is simply not technically possible.

Screen_Shot_2019-01-24_at_3.23.42_PM.jpg

I'm sorry, but then you will miss out on almost every single game in a year or two.

Yeah if you care about graphics and performance then pc is the way to go.

There is a reason why these consoles costs the half of the price of a good gaming rig. You get what you pay for.
YOu don't get what you pay for. I would argue you get more than you pay for. Current consoles are a steal if you can buy at msrp :p

Banned

I highly doubt that. I still think 30fps only games will be the exception not the rule. and no, all it means is that I will buy the PC version instead.
playing on PC is less convenient but it's worth it to not having to deal with 30fps eye cancer ever again.

30fps should be considered a defect at this point

Last edited:

The_Mike

YOu don't get what you pay for. I would argue you get more than you pay for. Current consoles are a steal if you can buy at msrp :p
I wasn't trying to see these consoles are bad value, that wasn't what I meant.

I just meant that if you want to have control over your experience then the pc is the way to go.

And that's why pcs are more expensive. They are capable of doing more.

The_Mike

I highly doubt that. I still think 30fps only games will be the exception not the rule. and no, all it means is that I will buy the PC version instead.
playing on PC is less convenient but it's worth it to not having to deal with 30fps eye cancer ever again.

30fps should be considered a defect at this point

Put your pc on the TV and use a controller. Then it's a high end console.

Get wireless keyboard and mouse for game selection or do a UI load like consoles.

rofif

Banned
I wasn't trying to see these consoles are bad value, that wasn't what I meant.

I just meant that if you want to have control over your experience then the pc is the way to go.

And that's why pcs are more expensive. They are capable of doing more.
of course. That is undeniable.
I just think I am alone in not wanting consoles to change and become more like pcs

As long as we continue to have options so we can decide the "look" we want, I'll be happy.

I'll take eye candy over frame rate any day of the week, but that's me. I'm the one who played the PS4 version of Dirt 5 on my PS5 because it's a locked 30fps compared to 60 with massive dips on the PS5.

The_Mike

of course. That is undeniable.
I just think I am alone in not wanting consoles to change and become more like pcs
Having to pick between performance and image quality doesnt make it a PC.

I am playing Modern Warfare Remastered on Xbox, and while I do enjoy it, I really wished I could choose a better resolution that supports the One X, instead of it running that blurry and bad.

It would be more nice to pick 1440p instead of having to pay for a remaster thats bascially better IQ and framerate.

TAA upscaling looks decent enough that I'm hopeful we can hit 60fps for a while longer as long as games don't end up CPU bound.

Checkerboarding used with DRS needs to be put down as it destroys the image quality in FW. Despite the PS3 filter on transparencies and volumetrics I still played the whole game in 60fps as responsiveness over eye candy for me.

lM81TCN.gif

TAA upscaling looks decent enough that I'm hopeful we can hit 60fps for a while longer as long as games don't end up CPU bound.

Checkerboarding used with DRS needs to be put down as it destroys the image quality in FW. Despite the PS3 filter on transparencies and volumetrics I still played the whole game in 60fps as responsiveness over eye candy for me.

lM81TCN.gif

That looks HORRIBLE. Holy cow.

.... and this isn't even a next-gen game....

VFXVeteran

Banned

lM81TCN.gif

The sampling is way too low. It's equivalent to running the game at super low resolution. Tricks are only going to get you but so far before the game undersamples so much it's visuals move into the "suck" category.

ethomaz

Banned
I'd blame 4K before I blame 60fps. Frankly, I would take 1440p/60 over 4K/30 any day.
I believe we will start to see more 1080p 30fps games… let’s not talk about 4k.

Any game with Nanite or Lumen won’t reach 4k or 60fps on consoles right now (well even PC)… 1080p and 30fps are the target these new rendering techs were created.

I hope they reach at least 1440p or 60fps late this gen with optimizations.

Last edited:

Katajx

Is graphical fidelity killing a smooth gaming experience?
On consoles at least it can be pretty jarring and it depends on the person. With games that give me an option to play with performance or resolutionI always pick performance.

Demon’s Souls for example feels like complete ass to me now if you don’t play it with performance mode.

They have given us the options, and we want them. It shouldn’t have to be limited to just being a PC thing as consoles have been moving to be more like PC games for awhile now.

RafterXL

Yes, I've been saying this for years. This lack of next gen looking games is the future you frame nerds want. OMG ITS 60FPS ITS SO NEXT GEN BRO WOW HAHA OMG SO SMOOTH...

Fuck outta here with that. stick to 30. blow my mind visually.

No one in real life gives a crap about frame rate.

Not once in the mediums history has "steady high frame rate! Holds at 60 fps!" been on the back of a box. Always graphics.
Such a clown comment. The PC has existed for decades with 60 fps as basically the standard. Tons of people care about frame rates, just because you nerds would rather watch your games than play them doesn't mean the rest of us would. 30 fps is dogshit, always has been and always will be.

ethomaz

Banned
On consoles at least it can be pretty jarring and it depends on the person. With games that give me an option to play with performance or resolutionI always pick performance.

Demon’s Souls for example feels like complete ass to me now if you don’t play it with performance mode.

They have given us the options, and we want them. It shouldn’t have to be limited to just being a PC thing as consoles have been moving to be more like PC games for awhile now.
Both original Demon’s Souls and Bloodborne played very good even with the framepace issues.

Both played better than Elden Ring pretend to be 60.

Last edited:

Katajx

Both original Demon’s Souls and Bloodborne played very good even with the framepace issues.

Both played better than Elden Ring pretend to be 60.
I was using a recent example of why I like having those options on a console. I’ve played all of those games and I will still pick performance over fidelity.

The times are changing.

rofif

Banned
60 fps is fine.

4K is the graphics killer. What a useless resolution
Nothing useless about 4k.
It was about OK on 27" 4k monitor. good dpi, not much anti aliasing needed.
It is a NECESSITY now that I play on 48" oled in my face. And with good taa too.
I wouldn't mind 4k really....
that said - there are some positive examples of quality setting DLSS that looks better than native 4k and that's the way. i think Death Stranding looks better dlss quality than native 4k

ethomaz

Banned
1080p looks just like 1080p is supposed to on my 4K.
Yeap if you like to see a blurred picture with pixels.

Anything below 1800p looks bad on 4k screen… after that the difference start to be minimal.

While Returnal was fine in my 1080p PLASMA become evident the lack of resolution in my 4k CX.

By hey size of the screen matter… maybe you have a 32” 4k monitor but 1080p on a 4k 55” screen looks bad.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
It is a NECESSITY now that I play on 48" oled in my face. And with good taa too.
that said - there are some positive examples of quality setting DLSS that looks better than native 4k and that's the way. i think Death Stranding looks better dlss quality than native 4k
Yeap I forget use to play in small screen… hell 480p games looks fine in a 6” phone screen.

1080p doesn’t look good in a 55” 4k screen… it looked good in a 51” 1080p screen.

rofif

Banned
Yeap if you like to see a blurred picture with pixels.

Anything below 1800p looks bad on 4k screen… after that the difference start to be minimal.

While Returnal was fine in my 1080p PLASMA become evident the lack of resolution in my 4k CX.

By hey size of the screen matter… maybe you have a 32” 4k monitor but 1080p on a 4k 55” screen looks bad.
Returnal does pretty good upscaling + the game is dark and hard to follow what's happening in the environment. It's soft but not as bad as some just 1440p games

ethomaz

Banned
Returnal does pretty good upscaling + the game is dark and hard to follow what's happening in the environment. It's soft but not as bad as some just 1440p games
Maybe if I had not played it on a 1080p set I should not bother with what it looked in a 4k screen… I should be well the game looks like that.

But after see how the game really looks… the resolution really makes fault in a 4k screen.

Some guys says 1440p is the minimum to have a good upscaling to 4k… I believe we need a bit more pixels maybe 1600p or better 1800p.

Said that I believe Returnal rendering at 1440p could be a game changer for it IQ on 4k TVs.

Last edited:

Hoddi

I use a 27” 4k monitor on PC and it’s amazing when running at native res. I still usually notice it fairly quickly when dropping below native even at this small display size.

It’s a big part of the reason why I’m sticking with my old plasma for console gaming.
Maybe if I had not played it on a 1080p set I should not bother with what it looked in a 4k screen… I should be well the game looks like that.

But after see how the game really looks… the resolution really makes fault in a 4k screen.

Some guys says 1440p is the minimum to have a good upscaling to 4k… I believe we need a bit more pixels maybe 1600p or better 1800p.

Said that I believe Returnal rendering at 1440p could be a game changer for it IQ on 4k TVs.
Returnal and The Matrix are two of the main reasons why I’m still using my old plasma with these consoles. They still look okay at 4k but I don’t expect proper next-gen games to always look their best at that res.

It's significantly softer than 1440p UE4 TAA games... because it is a 1080p UE4 TAA game :p

BUT. I love how much action is going on in the game so it is forgiven.

Last edited:

proandrad

lM81TCN.gif

Nah, it's probably your TV... Kidding, obviously.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
30fps should be illegal in most cases. I will sacrifice graphics for framerate.

tygertrip

it's not potato but it is significantly worse looking.
Anyway - it doesn't matter. There is a topic where I explain why modes are essentially bad... at least in current form with no descriptions, requirement to watch df to see comparison and so on.
It's a console. I want to play the game in best possible form on that console. I have pc if I want options
Rofif, my man... the thing is the "best possible form" is completely subjective. For me, it depends on the game. I played through A Rift Apart at 30 fps, maximum fidelity, and was fine. Currently playing PS5 Demon's Souls, and it's 30 fps mode is HORRID, to me, so I play it in 60 fps mode. I'm just glad it is in 1440p. IMO, the difference between 1440p and 4K is slight. But I am VERY glad they gave me the option. Whatever the developer chooses, however, is fine with me.(BTW, Rift Apart looks so fucking incredible at 4K with raytracing... Sweet Jesus!)

Last edited:

tygertrip

Rofif, my man... the thing is the "best possible form" is completely subjective. For me, it depends on the game. I played through A Rift Apart at 30 fps, maximum fidelity, and was fine. Currently playing PS5 Demon's Souls, and it's 30 fps mode is HORRID, to me, so I play it in 60 fps mode. I'm just glad it is in 1440p. IMO, the difference between 1440p and 4K is slight. But I am VERY glad they gave me the option. Whatever the developer chooses, however, is fine with me. (BTW, Rift Apart looks so fucking incredible at 4K with raytracing... Sweet Jesus!)

tygertrip

So if a ground breaking game comes out like bloodborne 2 which is only on ps5... you will not buy it because it's 30 ?
Putting restrictions like that on yourself is just plain stupid.
You would get used to it if you wanted. Just give it 5 minutes man
For the vast majority of games, I agree completely. Not VR though.

rofif

Banned
Rofif, my man... the thing is the "best possible form" is completely subjective. For me, it depends on the game. I played through A Rift Apart at 30 fps, maximum fidelity, and was fine. Currently playing PS5 Demon's Souls, and it's 30 fps mode is HORRID, to me, so I play it in 60 fps mode. I'm just glad it is in 1440p. IMO, the difference between 1440p and 4K is slight. But I am VERY glad they gave me the option. Whatever the developer chooses, however, is fine with me.(BTW, Rift Apart looks so fucking incredible at 4K with raytracing... Sweet Jesus!)
That’s because the 30 fps mode in ratchet is way better than in demons souls.
It’s slower in demons souls and even I couldn’t stand it and played at 60

tvdaXD

I agree, it's the best to have the option, leave it to the players themselves. Same goes for resolution tbh, 4K is mostly a marketing thing to put a big number on the box, most titles don't even run natively and have to rely on checkerboarding. I bet that most console players won't even see the difference, since I believe the majority will have their consoles on a TV in the living room far from their sitting position.

sendit

As long as its properly frame paced, there is nothing wrong with 30 FPS.

Agreed. Here are a two cool benefits when playing at 30 FPS.
  • increased input lag which increases time to pick your nose or TTPYN
  • a cinematic experience with natural motion blur (no developer input necessary)

Top Bottom