• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a PS4 Pro worth it for me?

Omikaru

Update: Thanks for the advice, everyone. Decided to save my money and skip PS4 Pro for now. Hope this thread is useful for someone else in a similar boat to me, though.

As the thread title says, I'm considering a PS4 Pro. My employer is running a staff double discount promotion right now that will let me get one for £280 (it's normally £350), so I've been considering taking the plunge and getting a PS4 Pro this weekend. The thing is, I'm weighing up whether it's worth it to me given the following:

1) I have a 1080p TV which doesn't support HDR, and at their current prices I doubt my other half will be convinced we can get a new 4K set. And, to be honest, I'm really happy with my current TV and I don't want to upgrade for another 2-4 years.

2) I have a pretty good gaming PC (built it last year: Core i7 6700K, GTX 1070, 16gb RAM, 1tb SSD) that lives with the living room TV, which I will still prioritise for multiplatform games.

3) I have a PS4 Slim (bought it because my launch PS4 was too noisy) which I've upgraded with a 2tb HDD. I'll be returning the 500gb drive to the Slim and selling it to part-fund the Pro purchase (the only condition my other half put on me getting a PS4 Pro).

4) I'll be moving the 2tb HDD to my new Pro if I get one and putting the spare 1tb in an external enclosure.

5) I'm considering a 500gb/1tb SSD upgrade if I do get a PS4 Pro, as load times are more important to me than storage capacity, and I'm spoilt from playing on my PC for so long. Plus I can always put the 2tb HDD in an enclosure too.

6) The games I'll probably be playing on the new system are a replay of Persona 5 (though I know it has no PS4 Pro benefits), Final Fantasy XV (starting again, having abandoned it last December), Final Fantasy X/X-2, WipEout Omega and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, not to mention whatever is on PS+ over the next few months.

7) In the longer term Shadow of the Colossus, The Last of Us Part II, Death Stranding, Shenmue III (which I pledged for the PS4 version) are the games I've either paid off or set money aside for, and there are quite a few other Sony exclusives that I'm keeping an eye on (like Spiderman and Detroit), almost all of which I assume will see some PS4 Pro benefits, even in 1080p.

8) I do use remote play a fair bit. I stream games over wired LAN to the MacBook Pro (plugged into a 21 inch 1080p monitor) in my office when I've hogged the living room for too long and my girlfriend and I can't agree to watch/play the same thing on the main TV. Streaming in 1080p via Steam In-Home Streaming is flawless, but PS4 Remote Play from my current PS4 Slim isn't the best since it's only 720p. What do people think of remote play from the Pro?

9) I'm interested in VR, but leaning towards doing it on my PC instead of PS VR right now, so I don't think this'll be a factor in my purchase.

With all of this in mind, what do current PS4 Pro owners think? Is it a good secondary system to my PC? I doubt I will be too much out of pocket due to my staff discount and PS4 Slim sale, but will I get enough out of the system to really justify it?

If you got money to burn and can sell your slim for a decent price, why not.

Personally I won't have bought the Pro without having a 4K HDR TV.

It depends on your budget, but I would advise all prospective PS4 buyers to grab the Pro instead of the Slim because of the upgrade path.

If you ever change your mind about 4K HDR console gaming in the future, you won't be locked off.

Based on the games you want to play, however, I'd say the Slim would be fine. I'm still using my 2013 launch model on a 1080p HDTV and am content with the performance.

Omikaru

Deeke[VRZ];242246481 said:
Based on the games you want to play, however, I'd say the Slim would be fine. I'm still using my 2013 launch model on a 1080p HDTV and am content with the performance.

I have a Slim already. This is really just an upgrade.

EmiPrime

No it probably won't be. If you're going to play multi-plats on PC, don't have a 4K HDR TV and won't buy a PSVR then it's not worth it just to play exclusives which are probably going to be well optimised for the standard PS4.

Mash83

If you have the money to spare, sure. But if that's the case you should get a 4k TV as well. I had my pro for a couple of months before I got my 4k TV and didn't notice a difference. Once I got my new TV I was very impressed and happy with my purchase.

b0bbyJ03

I have one with a 4k HDR tv and imo having one would the the only reason to get one. Makes a pretty significant difference if you have those features, otherwise, its just slightly better looking on a 1080p tv (i've connected my pro to my bedroom tv, which is 1080p, and was not impressed at all).

SpotAnime

I went Pro for a couple of reasons, even though I don't own a 4K TV:

1080p enhancements like better framerates and supersampling

Better performance on PSVR, whenever I get around to picking that up.

Oh, and it's nice to have 1TB out of the box.

So, for a $100, I'd say it's worth the premium.

haveheart

Banned
I'd say no.

Pro support still seems to be flawed, at least for some games (Elite, most recently).

By the time the game you metioned are released, the Pro will probably be cheaper anyway (speculations ofc).

If you're unhappy with your PS 4 Slim, do it. But I wouldn't consider it a good investment

sublimit

Banned
No better wait for PS5 which will have true 4k and by that time it will be more likely you will also upgrade your tv.

No it probably won't be. If you're going to play multi-plats on PC, don't have a 4K HDR TV and won't buy a PSVR then it's not worth it just to play exclusives which are probably going to be well optimised for the standard PS4.

This probably is correct here. Someone will sing the praises of supersampling on an HDTV all day long, but the long and short of it, is that PS4 Pro is meant to be used alongside a 4K/HDR to truly get the benefits it provides.

SkylineRKR

I did it because i got a decent amount for my PS4. I put the 2tb into the Pro and made the 1tb external. Pro generally delivers better IQ and performance. I much prefer playing Horizon, titanfall, Tekken and dark Souls 3 on the Pro. And a 4k was in the cards for this year anyway.

kc44135

Personally, as a PRO owner with a 1080p TV, I don't think it is worth it right now. Unlike Microsoft, Sony and developers have treated us 1080p owners poorly. So many games have released recently without downsampling or any other enhancements for 1080p TVs, and it just seems like Sony doesn't care. This is in stark contrast to MS, which have already committed to system wide downsampling for all games running at higher than 1080p resolution on XOX.

Without that same commitment from Sony, and with so many developers not even bothering to bring anything other than resolution boosts to PRO patched games, I can't wholeheartedly recommend the system. I realize you're primarily interested in Sony's exclusives, but even they haven't been consistently supported with 1080p enhancements on PRO. The Last Gaurdian, for instance, features NO enhancements for 1080p whatsoever. It's a sad, terrible state of affairs that makes me regret my purchase. There are games that benefit from PRO on a 1080p TV (Nioh, for instance is 720p/60FPS on PS4, and 1080p/60FPS on PRO, which is a major improvement), but on the whole, I can't fully recommend it unless Sony changes their ways, or developers consistently step up in their place. I feel like I wouldn't be doing my job as a consumer, otherwise.

ty_hot

the reason why I would trade in my PS4 for a PS4 Pro (plus money, ofc) is that I would get an extra year of warrantly. I dont know how long is your warrantly, but I would guess its almost ending, so that is another reason to upgrade.

Dinjooh

If you're going VR on your pc instead of the PS4 then I would just stick with the slim tbh.

This coming from a pro owner with a 4k tv.

danowat

Banned
I only brought a pro because I had a 4k TV.

I am not 100% convinced it's a great buy even if you have a 4k TV, even more so if you only have a 1080p, just stick with the slim.

Beyond the deal the OP is getting, are we expecting a Pro price drop later this year?

I don't have 4K, but I do have PSVR and I'm tempted to go Pro.

I think you should go for it mate. £280 is a bargain for the PS4 Pro, and don't forget that it's the best machine to play PlayStation exclusives, regardless if you're a 1080p or 4K TV user.

No, just get a slim.

You didn't read the thread, did you?

Personally, as a PRO owner with a 1080p TV, I don't think it is worth it right now. Unlike Microsoft, Sony and developers have treated us 1080p owners poorly. So many games have released recently without downsampling or any other enhancements for 1080p TVs, and it just seems like Sony doesn't care. This is in stark contrast to MS, which have already committed to system wide downsampling for all games running at higher than 1080p resolution on XOX.

Without that same commitment from Sony, and with so many developers not even bothering to bring anything other than resolution boosts to PRO patched games, I can't wholeheartedly recommend the system. I realize you're primarily interested in Sony's exclusives, but even they haven't been consistently supported with 1080p enhancements on PRO. The Last Gaurdian, for instance, features NO enhancements for 1080p whatsoever. It's a sad, terrible state of affairs that makes me regret my purchase. There are games that benefit from PRO on a 1080p TV (Nioh, for instance is 720p/60FPS on PS4, and 1080p/60FPS on PRO, which is a major improvement), but on the whole, I can't fully recommend it unless Sony changes their ways, or developers consistently step up in their place. I feel like I wouldn't be doing my job as a consumer, otherwise.

Shouldn't we wait for the Xbox One X to release before assuming so much of what you've said. There's been a few hiccups on the Pro but overall it's fantastic piece of machine, for a console.

NewDust

No, your fine with your Slim. Upgrade your tv first and then you can always see if the Pro is discounted further. Also don't bother with an SSD upgrade, improvements are negligible.

VR on PC is preferable.

If you can afford then yes. I can tell you from experience you see the biggest improvement from pairing it with a nice 4K TV with HDR, but I was still using a 1080p screen when I bought it and I still thought it was worth it then.

I will say that the uneven support for 1080p displays actually sped up my timetable to buy a 4K TV though. Sony really need to implement downsampling at the system level.

kc44135

As a quick follow-up to my previous (and very critical) comment, I will say that the games that take full advantage of PRO on 1080p TV's are great (NIoh, Horizon, the Crash collection that releases today, amongst others) look great, and with Boost Mode, virtually all games, PRO patched or not, do generally perform at least a bit better on PRO. Adiitionally, if you do invest in 4KTV or PSVR in the future, you'll no doubt get much bigger benefits out of the system, so I'm not saying PRO has no merits. I'm just really unhappy with the wishy-washy 1080p support it's received so far, and I really hope Sony turns things around soon.

Angel_DvA

I think you should go for it mate. £280 is a bargain for the PS4 Pro, and don't forget that it's the best machine to play PlayStation exclusives, regardless if you're a 1080p or 4K user.

You didn't read the thread, did you?

Shouldn't we wait for the Xbox One X to release before assuming so much of what you've said. There's been a few hiccups on the Pro but overall it's fantastic piece of machine, for a console.

I stopped at his PC specs, if you have a PC with those specs and no 4K HDR TV, you shouldn't waste your money on a PS4 Pro and go get a decent TV asap.

The fact that he has a slim make it even more obvious, just buy a TV instead of Pro.

kc44135

What do you mean? You think XOX will drive Sony to provide better support for 1080p displays? That's what I was hoping for as well, but they don't seem very concerned by it at all so far, and there was no mention of the lack of supersampling in many games or any attempt at addressing the issue at E3. :(
If you can afford then yes. I can tell you from experience you see the biggest improvement from pairing it with a nice 4K TV with HDR, but I was still using a 1080p screen when I bought it and I still thought it was worth it then.

I will say that the uneven support for 1080p displays actually sped up my timetable to buy a 4K TV though. Sony really need to implement downsampling at the system level.

Yes, agreed 100%.

Omikaru

No downsampling at the system level is pretty disappointing. On the flipside, the 1080p remote play is appealing.

But I think I will keep my Slim wait this one out. £280 is still a lot of money, even if I'm selling my Slim to get it. Thanks everyone!

I have a good PC and a slim just like you, and I too have gone through the thought process of getting a pro.

Basically, stick with the slim, unless PSVR is something you really, really want.

dr_rus

1) I have a 1080p TV which doesn't support HDR

3) I have a PS4 Slim

As someone who got PS4Pro in the same situation I would say that it doesn't worth it. You will hardly see any quality difference on a 1080p TV from afar and while some games do run with higher framerates the difference isn't big enough to be a deal breaker. I'd say wait for deeper discounts, they are bound to happen after XBX launch.

rolandss

As a pro upgrader, no I don't think it's worth it. There's a difference but it's not night and day to me. I would say it's not noticeable going PS4 to Pro, but it's somewhat noticeable going Pro to PS4 - but not worth the money or hassle.

I realize you're primarily interested in Sony's exclusives, but even they haven't been consistently supported with 1080p enhancements on PRO. The Last Gaurdian, for instance, features NO enhancements for 1080p whatsoever. It's a sad, terrible state of affairs that makes me regret my purchase.
I'm sorry but you are misinformed. The Last Guardian in particular was one of the games that pushed me to get a Pro as it is greatly improved, it goes from having a horrible sub-30 frame-rate on OG PS4 to a stable 30fps on the Pro, this makes a WORLD of difference to the gameplay.

On the OP's I would say that the upgrade would be worth it if he hadn't bought a gaming PC last year. With that in mind it's just not worth re-investing on a new PS4. Of course if you have the money to spare why not lol.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have a 1080p set and have LOVED it so far.

Horizon Zero Dawn is fabulous.

Witcher 3 needs to hurry up and get Pro support though.

Cleve

If you're considering a 1 tb ssd, money doesn't seem to be a factor, and the pro does generally have faster loads.

remote play is definitely better in 1080p if that's a big consideration.

Lister

Banned
Whatever you do don't go out and spend a ton of money on an SSD for a console. you're not going to see the kind of results you would on a PC with an SSd. You'll get improvements, but no where near the kind of load times you get on PC. SSHD is probably the sweet spot for consoles.

I stopped at his PC specs, if you have a PC with those specs and no 4K HDR TV, you shouldn't waste your money on a PS4 Pro and go get a decent TV asap.

The fact that he has a slim make it even more obvious, just buy a TV instead of Pro.

Who's to say he/she doesn't have a decent 1080p TV? And what makes you think that supersampled games with graphical enhancements isn't worth the superb price of admission?

What do you mean? You think XOX will drive Sony to provide better support for 1080p displays? That's what I was hoping for as well, but they don't seem very concerned by it at all so far, and there was no mention of the lack of supersampling in many games or any attempt at addressing the issue at E3. :(

I have no doubt that we'll get system-wide supersampling on the PS4 Pro soon, it doesn't make any sense to not include it. Sony has been pretty consistent with their exclusives on the Pro, almost every game except The Last of Us offers supersampling for 1080p TV users.

Also, I believe the Pro will receive better third party support once the Xbox One X is released.

Whatever you do don't go out and spend a ton of money on an SSD for a console. you're not going to see the kind of results you would on a PC with an SSd. You'll get improvements, but no where near the kind of load times you get on PC. SSHD is probably the sweet spot for consoles.

You're right. SSD on consoles is a waste of money, in my opinion.

Woodchipper

Deeke[VRZ];242246481 said:
This. I too have an OG PS4 and I'm still amazed how good Horizon, Uncharted 4 and Ratchet & Clank looks/plays.

kc44135

I have no doubt that we'll get system-wide supersampling on the PS4 Pro soon, it doesn't make any sense to not include it. Sony has been pretty consistent with their exclusives on the Pro, almost every game except The Last of Us offers supersampling for 1080p TV users.

Also, I believe the Pro will receive better third party support once the Xbox One X is released.

I hope so, man. I'm playing Crash on PRO right now (which has downsampling among other PRO improvements), and it looks fantastic. Really sharp, and just clean as hell. That's what I bought my PRO for. I just wish every game got this same treatment for us lowly 1080p folks. I want to love my PRO, I really do.

I only use my ps4 pro for remote play so I can play on my computer monitor

I believe the pro allows you to stream via remote play at better quality

Top Bottom