• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a PS4 Pro worth it for me?

For a cheap(er) upgrade it doesn't hurt to do so, some of the games you mention are Pro enhanced & the ones you plan to play will surely support it. Also you will probably end up upgrading your TV down the line with how prices are dropping + the fact there are years between now & the PS5. I'd say go for it.

Knuf

I'm in the same boat as you, OP, minus the fact that I don't have a PC, so my PS4 is my main gaming system.
I could get 200€ for my OG PS4, and there's currently an offer here where I could buy a Pro together with a second DS4 for 400€, so in the end the Pro would cost me only 200€ (and with a "free" additional controller).
Main reason for upgrading would be that my OG PS4 is loud as fuck, but the Pro is ugly compared to my OG white PS4: ugh, why is there no white Pro available to buy, Sony?

VPhys

I must be the only person with a 4k tv who could care less about the PS4 pro. I just don't think the difference will be enough for me to care.

If I could unload my fat PS4 and get the pro at a minimal difference <$100 I'd do it just to have a newer, quieter system with a new warranty. But I'm not going out of my way to get the Pro.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If you're in the market for a new PS4 its a no-brainer really.

For a small price premium you get a bigger hdd, slightly improved load-times across the board, boost mode for generally improved performance on nearly all titles, and resolution/graphical feature improvements on titles that take advantage of the additional power in "native" Pro mode.

Future proofing and 4K support are obvious benefits, but its generally an all-round better PS4.

Lister

Banned
If you're in the market for a new PS4 its a no-brainer really.

He's not though. And Isn't the Pro like $150 more than the base PS4? That's not a slight premium, IMHO. Though I agree it would eb worth it if you owned a 4K TV.

anothertech

It's worth it for the better running exclusives for sure. Especially since you already have a ps4. 280 is a great price.

From what you describe it doesn't sound worth the price at all frankly. I mean if you have lots of money and aren't worried about it go for it but from your situation it sounds like the money would be better just spent on games

Pro on a 1080p TV isn't really that great of an upgrade. Support for it has been pretty poor

katsais

I'd say get the 4K HDR TV first and the Pro, plus it might even drop in price later this year (just might).

That being said, I have a non-4K HDR gaming monitor and bought a Pro within weeks of launch. Don't regret it one bit.

MazeHaze

Banned
I have a 4k HDR tv and I'm sticking w my launch ps4. HDR still looks great on it, 4k from my couch isn't a huge difference for me, but I have my PC hooked up to it for 4k multiplats.

Wiped89

As the thread title says, I'm considering a PS4 Pro. My employer is running a staff double discount promotion right now that will let me get one for £280 (it's normally £350), so I've been considering taking the plunge and getting a PS4 Pro this weekend. The thing is, I'm weighing up whether it's worth it to me given the following:

1) I have a 1080p TV which doesn't support HDR, and at their current prices I doubt my other half will be convinced we can get a new 4K set. And, to be honest, I'm really happy with my current TV and I don't want to upgrade for another 2-4 years.

No. That's all I need to read. A PS4 Pro is designed to take advantage of 4K. The few 1080p owners I have seen only seem to have expressed mild disappointment at the difference the Pro made to their image quality. Unless you're a mega framerate whore to the point of blowing £350 for slightly boosted fps, I wouldn't bother.

Omikaru

Wait for the Xbone x tbh. Pro support for 1080p is laughable.

While I've already decided not to bother with a PS4 Pro, nowhere in my OP did I say I was considering an Xbox One of any variety. I have a good PC for playing games on, so if I want any MS exclusive games then I'd get them on that. The Xbox One X would literally be a £450 paperweight, and this is the reason I sold my original Xbox One. The best use case I can think of for that system is BC, at which point I could save £350-odd and just get an old 360S.

At any rate, after reading some replies about how the difference isn't big enough to justify it, the only thing really selling me on PS4 Pro is the 1080p Remote Play, but to be honest I have plenty of games on my PC that I can stream to the other room, plus I have a Switch too, so I'm not exactly gasping for the feature.

I was hoping PS4 Pro would be better for 1080p sets. Downsampling at a system level seems like a must-have, as would more consistent offerings in terms of performance settings from developers. That Sony is even dropping the ball on that front tells me all I need to know: 1080p is an afterthought for this system.

In short, doesn't seem like it'd be worth the faff of changing the HDDs, packing up my Slim, selling it and such.

Rival

Gold Member
Considering you already have a slim I think you made the right decision to wait. You might see some good deals on the pro around the holiday season too.

As a 1080p Pro user, I don't think it's worth it. If more games were like Rise of the Tomb Raider with giving you multiple options than yes, but that rarely happens.

MoogPaul

With a pc like that and a tv that you don't plan on upgrading, ps4 is fine. Maybe pick up a pro much later/cheaper for legacy purposes. Only reason I got a pro was because I was faced with the decision of a $350 pro or a $700 graphics card.

Top Bottom