• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Alien Isolation actually fun?

SomTervo

I am playing Alien Isolation and I'm in the medical bay sort of area, not that far from the beginning but progress has been very slow so I have 5 hours on the clock.

Literally the whole middle 2/3rds of the game are the best bit. You're just about to start that period.

Like hours 5-16 are fucking golden. The opening few hours are very 'CoD'-like. Scripted, moving from scene/set-piece to scene/set-piece. It opens up very quickly after that and stays open for ages.

TL;DR: it gets better. Enjoy!

AerialAir

Banned
I personally think it's a fantastic game, but it takes some time and dedication to get used to used to it, though it ultimately pays off.

Carroway

Fun is always relative, but I personally enjoyed it and by far the most entertaining game set in the Alien universe in a very long time.

The game does suffer from being rather long and because of it, you started seeing when the Alien would show up, by the set-up of the enviroments. However, it excels at what it tries to do, which is why I had fun with it.

Spenny

I liked it a lot, but agree that it is a bit too long. You end up seeing the alien way to much and after a while he becomes more frustrating than scary. It's still the best Alien game in a long time though.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
That's the hardest bit of the game, once you get past it the game does get a lot easier. He's actively hunting you in that area more than any other part of the game. Use your equipment and crafting, they will save your life.

Also, like people say, don't hide. Keep moving while crouched and hide around/behind objects (chairs&tables etc). Avoid the lockers.

Kazuhira

I love this game and it was a lot of fun in my experience,the little replay value is the only problem i have with it.
Btw hiding in lockers and ventilation ducts should be your last resort,they are death traps because the alien always searchs there in the hardest difficulties;Hiding behind tables,boxes etc is more reliable because you have more mobility and visibility even if you're a little more exposed,hope it helps to speed up your progress a little bit.

IzzyF3

Pacing can be an issue, but thinking about it, I think Alien Isolation is my favorite game this Gen so far.

Thanks for the responses - I'll try to hide less, haha. Interesting to hear that Medical is the hardest part, or one of them; I'm about to leave it, my next mission is to return to the Doctor. I'll definitely persevere and make more use of items - I've been leaving behind shitloads of stuff due to having full stocks.

Do the flares work as distractions too?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Thanks for the responses - I'll try to hide less, haha. Interesting to hear that Medical is the hardest part, or one of them; I'm about to leave it, my next mission is to return to the Doctor. I'll definitely persevere and make more use of items - I've been leaving behind shitloads of stuff due to having full stocks.

Do the flares work as distractions too?

Yes, they work great and will buy you 30 seconds at least. Throw them down a corridor and The Alien will race after it, as well as tying him up it's also great at repositioning him as he won't go back to his original spot after he finishes with it.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Some people find the anticipation of being caught to be fun. I enjoyed the game through and through. Stuff like what you described is fun to me. But I also had more fun in my second and third runs. especially on nightmare difficulty, because you learn that hiding for prolonged periods of time is actually worse, and that you should always be moving.

It is a good game, though there was a point somewhere in the middle where it felt like it was beginning to drag, though after a certain point it picked up again. Point being, stick with it and it should hopefully click for you.

spekkeh

Banned
I didn't like it. I love Alien and I adored the atmosphere. But the pacing was horrible (note to game developers, horror monster movies only fully reveal their monster to the protagonist in the final quarter...amazing how everyone seems to get it wrong) and the subsequent gameplay just really annoying until I was fed up. Gave up somewhere in Mission 6. It was already overstaying its welcome at one third of the game, crazy. Didn't regret playing it because of aforementioned atmosphere, but the accolades I will never get.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't like it. I love Alien and I adored the atmosphere. But the pacing was horrible (note to game developers, horror monster movies only fully reveal their monster to the protagonist in the final quarter...amazing how everyone seems to get it wrong) and the subsequent gameplay just really annoying until I was fed up. Gave up somewhere in Mission 6. It was already overstaying its welcome at one third of the game, crazy. Didn't regret playing it because of aforementioned atmosphere, but the accolades I will never get.

Mission 6 is not that far in. You had a lot more to go. Plus it wasn't all about the alien. But specifically regarding the alien, the point of the game is to avoid it because it's hunting you. So how would revealing it in the final quarter be beneficial to the type of game they were making? It's a xenomorph, not some demonic spirit.

ChryZ

I just recently started playing Isolation, 6 missions in, totally love the game and can't wait to play more. The first 2-3 hours are a slow burn, but I was never bored. The environments alone are delightful to this old Alien fan.

The first two or three hours can be a bit boring.
It all picks up once the xenomorph shows up. It's awesome survival horror from that point onwards.

Morinaga

Its a great game if you love stealth games.

there are some great parts where the pacing picks up, some great visuals. The first half of the game is hard and then you get some items and gets a bit easier.

Then you use all your items and end up at the end and think "crap" I cant do this.

Great game though.

spekkeh

Banned
Mission 6 is not that far in. You had a lot more to go.
That's my point.
Plus it wasn't all about the alien. But specifically regarding the alien, the point of the game is to avoid it because it's hunting you. So how would revealing it in the final quarter be beneficial to the type of game they were making? It's a xenomorph, not some demonic spirit.
They could've made the final quarter about avoiding it. I thought being hunted for hours on end (most of which you're sitting in a cupboard waiting for the alien to get out of its loop or getting unstuck from the door, only it doesn't, until you either decide to die and start 10 minutes over or put it on extremely easy) got tiresome and boring. You can't have one gameplay loop for 18 hours, you need to mix that stuff up. Well at least I think so.

gerudoman

Heh, I played that mission a couple nights ago and was stuck in the same point for one hour until I began taking more risks, which I found out to be the way to go. I'd rather play in a more straightforward and quick way, and be killed not long since the last checkpoint than being killed after taking too much time hiding and making sure the xenomorph wasn't near, that's more frustrating.

Heh, I played that mission a couple nights ago and was stuck in the same point for one hour until I began taking more risks, which I found out to be the way to go. I'd rather play in a more straightforward and quick way, and be killed not long since the last checkpoint than being killed after taking too much time hiding and making sure the xenomorph wasn't near, that's more frustrating.

Yeah, this seems like the thing to do - more risk, more reward.

phyrlord

I like it A LOT. But you have to be into the thrill. I'll admit. I played it novice because I didn't want the game to feel like a chore.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
horror monster movies only fully reveal their monster to the protagonist in the final quarter...

This is true in some cases.
But not in most. There's no single formula for doing horror right and it's silly to restrict creators to any rule-set.

Fury451

Banned
No. Games like Alien: Isolation, Outlast, SOMA, Amnesia, etc. aren't really 'fun', but that's kind of the point, as it creates an atmosphere of tension and survival that really immerses you in a desperate struggle.

That said, as excellent as it is, Alien has some gameplay/design choices that made it less fun from an actual game standpoint too IMO.

JoshGrilli

Neo Member
I personally loved it from the beginning to the end. It has to be one of the most tense games I've ever played, the intensity felt very real at times. It might have some pacing issues for some but I thought it was a perfect blend of highs and lows. The game is also gorgeous and if you are a big fan of the Alien films, having the ability to walk around in those environments is a dream come true. This IS my favorite game of last year and I will stick by that.

It's fun, but it went on fooooorever considering how rarely it changes anything up. On normal it feels a little easy, but on anything harder the game becomes unbearably long.

Meneses

I liked it a lot.

When I started playing it felt like the most tense and exciting thing i'd experienced in a long time.

But it started to lose a bit of its charm / tension when I realized (gameplay / AI stuff that isn't a spoiler per se but can disrupt immersion)
that I could basically crouch and move around a waist high barrel and the alien wouldn't spot me.

It does overstay its welcome a bit (which I admit is a weird complaint since usually we're complaining about games being too short), and the forced slow-walk sections are annoying, but in the end I enjoyed it enough to even got the platinum trophy.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I admire it for many reasons but I didn't find it to actually be "fun". Got about 2 hours in and couldn't take any more, sadly.

I adore the setting and ambiance though, it's clearly a labour of love.

I kind of agree with OP. My first hour or two I loved the game, but once you get to the medical area, it just takes a nosedive for me. The atmosphere is ridiculously good and they did an awesome job replicating that 80s sci fi feel. My problem with the game is that it never really gives you a breather to explore(or does it?). I know that argues against the nature of a survival horror game, but not being able to explore the amazing world they created due to risking losing a half hour of play time, is dumb.

In Souls games this is fine because you still retain all of the items you found(except souls) and you even have a chance to reclaim your souls. In Alien you lose all of your progress.

Is there any point in the game where you can go back and explore the other areas you missed without the Alien constantly hunting you?

Spacejaws

The area you are at right now is what I considered fairly cumbersome. I gave up their on my last playthrough (got past it and turned the game off dodn't play for another 6 months) afterwards I find the gameplay fairly rewarding.

I feel that area is still kind off in 'intro/training' mode. Afterwards you have a more open approach and easy access to save points. It might be a bit wussy but a few times if I activated an objective and I had another far away from a save I will backtrck a d save to stop a reload losing my progression. Also flamethrower does wonders if you really don't want to restart.

In all I would say the feeling is less 'fun' and more overcoming a challenge but after the medical area you start to get a real sense of objective and it kinda drives you to the end.

Falchion

I'm right past the point you are OP. I was enjoying it but also got frustrated and ended up putting it down once Halo 5 came out and I haven't started it back up again.

I kind of agree with OP. My first hour or two I loved the game, but once you get to the medical area, it just takes a nosedive for me. The atmosphere is ridiculously good and they did an awesome job replicating that 80s sci fi feel. My problem with the game is that it never really gives you a breather to explore(or does it?). I know that argues against the nature of a survival horror game, but not being able to explore the amazing world they created due to risking losing a half hour of play time, is dumb.

In Souls games this is fine because you still retain all of the items you found(except souls) and you even have a chance to reclaim your souls. In Alien you lose all of your progress.

Is there any point in the game where you can go back and explore the other areas you missed without the Alien constantly hunting you?

I think there's a PC mod that locks the alien down in a single vent so you can wander around and look at everything.

speedomodel

Fuck, need to finish this..was getting slaughtered by the Alien and having a heartattack with the tension (I'm a sissy...)

Need to go back and just work to the better gear, I guess.

The game is a slog. The alien stops being scary and starts being an annoying thing that stops you from progressing through the levels only a few hours after it's introduced. It's pretty telling that the best and scariest part of the game doesn't even involve it.
(I'm talking about the section where you're just dealing with the synths.)
The story starts out promising, but barely anything happens and the few story beats they do have are very thinly spread out over the course of a 20+ hour game. The ending is just flat out garbage. They did do an excellent job of recreating the atmosphere of the original movie, and the alien is initially very intimidating.

Looking back, the game had a lot of potential but was let down by an overlong, repetitive campaign and a very underdeveloped narrative. Dead Space 1 and 2 are still the kings of the spooky spaceship genre for me.

I enjoyed it, but the game has pacing problems for sure. It feels like a fairly tight 12 hour game fluffed out to 25 with lots and lots of forced busywork. The early hours are the roughest, it picks up towards the middle.

I wish the guns and different items were balanced better. I had a bunch of guns and ammo and I never really used them. I barely used any of the craftable items. I just crouched with my flamethrower out and scooted through 95% of the game.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
That's my point.

They could've made the final quarter about avoiding it. I thought being hunted for hours on end (most of which you're sitting in a cupboard waiting for the alien to get out of its loop or getting unstuck from the door, only it doesn't, until you either decide to die and start 10 minutes over or put it on extremely easy) got tiresome and boring. You can't have one gameplay loop for 18 hours, you need to mix that stuff up. Well at least I think so.

The AI is fairly random and the xenomorph isn't the only enemy. On top of that, this is the type of game it is. It sounds like you were expecting it to be something else.

And what do you mean that's your point? Your point being that you didn't get that far into the game? The game changes quite a bit after chapter 6. Some chapters don't even feature the alien. Goes to show that you had to play it further.

BlondeTuna

Great game, but IMO best played in short bursts, like 2-3 chapters at a time. I ramped up the difficulty and it can be frustrating when the Alien continually wrecks you. As others have mentioned, it probably could have been shortened by a few chapters.

'Fun' is never a word Id use to describe the game. Intense, and stressful though...

There are certainly issues with the alien AI and encounters, but once you learn the limits (it's always tethered to you so you can't be afraid to keep moving) and how to use all your tools then it becomes less frustrating and more of the experience it should be.

Top Bottom