• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Anyone Else Sitting Out Late-Gen Exclusives for the Inevitable Next-Gen Remasters?

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I'm wondering if anyone else is thinking about this like I am. Within the first couple of years after the PS4's launch, so many remasters and definitive editions of great previous-gen games came out with improved visual fidelity and frame rates. The Last of Us, Uncharted Collection, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War 3, are a few of the big ones, and that's not even including the countless third-party remasters and definitive editions.

This is one of the reasons why I haven't bought The Last of Us 2 or Ghost of Tsushima yet, even though I'm especially interested in the latter and have a PS4 Pro. If I can wait a while to play the best version of the game, I'd rather just do that. And I think the incredible success of those two titles definitely makes them prime candidates for PS5 remasters.

Of course, there's the possibility that next-gen won't be as remaster-heavy as the current one because backwards compatibility will be integrated from the beginning, so people can just buy the last-gen versions and play them in higher fidelity with the new hardware. And, because the PS4 was more popular than the PS3, there's a chance that remasters won't be as big of a market because more people will have played the original games on the original console. But, developing remasters (and outsourcing development) in between new projects kind of seems like a no-brainer money maker, and remasters have definitely proved to be popular this generation, so it only makes sense to keep producing them while they're selling.

Is anyone else waiting it out for the same reason?

I'm wondering if anyone else is thinking about this like I am. Within the first couple of years after the PS4's launch, so many remasters and definitive editions of great previous-gen games came out with improved visual fidelity and frame rates. The Last of Us, Uncharted Collection, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War 3, are a few of the big ones, and that's not even including the countless third-party remasters and definitive editions.

This is one of the reasons why I haven't bought The Last of Us 2 or Ghost of Tsushima yet, even though I'm especially interested in the latter and have a PS4 Pro. If I can wait a while to play the best version of the game, I'd rather just do that. And I think the incredible success of those two titles definitely makes them prime candidates for PS5 remasters.

Of course, there's the possibility that next-gen won't be as remaster-heavy as the current one because backwards compatibility will be integrated from the beginning, so people can just buy the last-gen versions and play them in higher fidelity with the new hardware. And, because the PS4 was more popular than the PS3, there's a chance that remasters won't be as big of a market because more people will have played the original games on the original console. But, developing remasters (and outsourcing development) in between new projects kind of seems like a no-brainer money maker, and remasters have definitely proved to be popular this generation, so it only makes sense to keep producing them while they're selling.

Is anyone else waiting it out for the same reason?

I am waiting to play both of those games and FF7R on PS5 so yes. My PS4 Pro sounds like a SpaceX shuttle taking off. Not waiting for remasters though, just to play them on PS5 with backwards compatibility and maybe a boost mode patch.

Last edited:

T-Cake

I'm waiting to play my entire library again on PS5. Haven't bought anything since God of War. Days Gone and Spider-Man still await me.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I am waiting to play both of those games and FF7R on PS5 so yes. My PS4 Pro sounds like a SpaceX shuttle taking off. Not waiting for remasters though, just to play them on PS5 with backwards compatibility and maybe a boost mode patch.
Waiting on FF7:R is a good choice, having finished it. The character models look amazing on PS4 Pro, but some of the environment textures and skyboxes they use are insanely bad--enough to take you out of the game.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I fell off RDR 2 ~15 hours in so now I'm waiting for next-gen/a PC rebuild next year to play it. Same with Death Stranding.

I'm playing GoT right now and just got Days Gone in the sale too. There is plenty more to play and I could wait but some games I just want to play right now, also I'm plowing through shit due to quarantine.

Mr Hyde

Yes, it's a couple. I don't really know if I can say I'm sitting them out, because due to backlog and other priorities I've just not been able to play them. But now it's so close to next gen launch that I don't know if it's worth purchasing more games. I'm just gonna hold my breath for next gen patches or remasters of games I've missed.

Personally I'm hoping for updates on:

The Last of Us 2
Ghost of Tsushima
Jedi Fallen Order
Control
Red Dead Redemption 2
The Surge 2

Umbral

+1.

I'm hoping there will be a Last of Us Part 2 PS5 upgrade, though I've already played it. Will be good for when the replay comes in.
I‘m hoping for that too, though I can’t see myself playing it again. I’ll check it out to see what additions there are. It’s too much movie and not enough game.
Likewise. I skipped on TLOU2 and GOT for the next-gen patch/remaster. 4K/60 will be glorious.
You can just skip TLOU2 altogether. :messenger_smirking:

Eevee86

Right here. Figured I'd just get the inevitable Definitive Edition of GoT. Certainly makes new consoles more enticing.

Last edited:

Yoboman

I couldn't hold off TLOU2 but I'm holding off any replay until next gen, and not buying Ghosts until next gen

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
There are going to be far less remasters with backward compatibility. There might be some ps3 and x360 remasters, but aside from that I believe the generation of remasters has seen its day for the most part.

RCU005

I purchased TLOU 2, and I know that there will be a PS5 version or remaster, but I really wanted to play it so I couldn't wait.

However, I am waiting for Ghost of Tsushima. I love the art style, and a PS5 version would look amazing. So I really hope there is one. If not, I'll buy it later and play it on PS5 anyway with BC.

Grinchy

Banned
For some of them, yeah. I am not sure if I'm 100% sold on Cyberpunk yet, but I see no reason whatsoever to play it on current gen since it comes out at the same time as next gen anyway. Red Dead Redemption 2 is another one that I've just kinda waited on. If it has a nice next gen patch or even full version that they make everyone pay for again, it'll be the first time for me.

Hal.

I considered it for Ghost of Tsushima, but there haven't been many games recently that were really up my street so jumped in at launch. Otherwise I'd end up in the continual PC style waiting game where the next best thing/patch is just around the corner which is or is not guaranteed to arrive on time or even at all.

Umbral

Such a brave and edgy post.
Tony-Stark-Sunglasses-Iron-Man-2.gif

thelastword

Banned
No, I'm playing all of them now on PS4. All these games perform pretty solid on PRO as it is. I would have already beaten the games, and instead will play some next gen games on PS5. If I don't buy too many games at launch I can probably replay a few of them at 4k 60fps. Must have enhanced games for me would be a port of Street Fighter 5 and if they port DC and GT, I'd probably play these regularly..

Not only do i sit out for the definitive edition of current gen games... i wait til theyre 20$...

Im not gonna be playing TLOU2:remaster till like 2025.

Oh wait its a sony game....i mean, 2024

Last edited:

DonF

Yes. No new games for since the logo reveal. I want to wait for the ps5. I bet that when it releases, everything I want to play will be cheaper, patched, fixed and running great on ps5.

Yup, I’m that guy.

I’ll play GoT and FF VII on PS5 eventually. Would be cool to play VII part 1 and 2 back-to-back. I love that.

And there’s no way I’m buying Cyberpunk for PS4 on the eve of PS5 launch, especially after we learned there will be compromises in PS4 version. I’m patient.
Modern Warfare filled most of my game time since its launch, add very solid PS+ offering this year, glorious DQ XI and I’m good.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Im not so sure that the remaster strategy will work out that well next gen. I could be wrong, but I guess that free of charge upgrades are going to be the norm.

CitizenX

Banned
You mean for real players to wait for the inevitable fix patch? Yea been practicing that mode for years now.

Last edited:
Yep, waiting to play TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima with the inevitable 4k/60 patch or whatever on ps5 in a couple months.

I've sold my ps4pro, so I'm waiting (and resisting the urge to buy it back).

Last edited:
I was going to wait to play the latest (TLOU2 and Ghost) and I put off finishing Days gone, in the hope these games would run better (60fps) on the new console. Also due to parenthood, much of my TV time is limited anyway, so it wasn't a big drama (I mainly play PC). BUT I couldn't wait and have played through The Last of Us 2 and currently making my way through Ghost of Tsushima :p I'm actually glad I didn't wait, because both games have been great, and I can't put Ghost down.

The only games I buy nowadays are the ones I know I won't need a remaster of later.

Nioh 2, DOOM Eternal, etc.

Last edited:

Arthimura

I don't, i prefer enjoy them now and then if these games ended up getting a remastered version with new content or significant technical improvements, i can play them again .

I like replaying games and i also like trophies, so i i would even ejoy replaying some games.

TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima already looks great on PS4, anything else will be a bonus.

anothertech

I'm waiting on tlou2, ghosts, cyberpunk, days gone, Destiny 2 expansion, and anything else coming this year.

Next gen only for me.

Amiga

Holding out for:

GoT
FF7R
Days Gone
Death Stranding
RDR2
Jedi FO

and every other game until next generation. right now it's just Switch games clearing my older PS4 backlog.

The possibility that the PS5 could push the game to higher framerates/resolution made me want to hold back on the last few PS4 exclusives. Considering the dry lineup, this would at least make for a good appetizer until 2021.

DavidGzz

The possibility that the PS5 could push the game to higher framerates/resolution made me want to hold back on the last few PS4 exclusives. Considering the dry lineup, this would at least make for a good appetizer until 2021.

Shit, now that I think about it, I should have waited, the launch games are weak.

deafmedal

I’m concerned there may be limited amounts of the console for the first year or so. As a result I will buy at launch and as I expect a software drought as is the norm I plan to play these late release games until the library builds up. Waiting a small amount of time for CP77 won’t be too bad either, we’ve waited this long. Oh, and GTAV for the umptenth time ofc.

Helps that I’m on the road playing on a cheap 1080 monitor since hotel tv’s suck so bad. It would be much more difficult to not grab TLOU2 and GoT if I was home with my nice tv.

Ryu Kaiba

I'm very picky and the games that do appeal to me I don't want to wait to play them. If I want to do a 2nd playthrough I'll do it on the next gen systems. Played the hell out of TLOU part 2 and FF7 . Ghost of Tsushima looks boring to me.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I played the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild and so it's interesting, the last gen version worked for me no big deal, totally enjoyed it.

Top Bottom