• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone expecting ESVI to be anything else than nicer looking Skyrim?

Cyberpunkd

Seems people are speaking only about Starfield, then ESVI.

I am participating in these discussions and one thing strikes me: are people really expecting Bethesda to take creative risks with the largest of their IPs, and one of the largest IPs in history, especially given the massive success of Skyrim?
As much as I would want Morrowind to happen again I know it never will - it was a product of a different time, different design philosophies, etc.

So we will get quest markers again, we will get details journal entries telling us where exactly to go, etc. Also if they didn't ditch their 20 year old engine for Starfield, what makes people think they will do it now?

Good? Bad? WDYT

EDIT: Oh, FFS, can a mod move this to Gaming forum?

Oh No Facepalm GIF by Swisscom

Last edited:
I honestly wouldn't mind an updated skyrim with more modern graphics/tech.

Starfield disappointed me and I'd like one huge open world instead of having to fuck about travelling (fast loading) to different planets which are mostly empty. The core gameplay is fun but Starfield's space parts suck. I respect them for trying something new but it has been half assed.

Just give me one big open world, a good main story, and a fuck load of side quests.

GymWolf

I expect medieval starfield.

It is silly to expect more after so many iteration of this engine.

Until they change this archaic piece of shit i don't expect any evolution whatsoever, at best they are gonna re-integrate all the systems that starfield lost from their past games.

It is also time to change the writing team because starfield may really have the most boring and dull characters ever created in a game, not to mention the main story.
When your best writing effort are those faction chain quest that have the quality of a discarded sify channel series at best, then you know there is no more barrel to scrape.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I want it to be Skyrim but next-gen AF.

Bethesda dropped the ball massively with Fallout 4, and big Fallout fans hated 3 and 4 for simplification but to me FO3 made me feel truly free to explore and make crazy decisions (you can nuke an entire town within an hour of starting the game lol). But no, Fallout 4 was all about TEH BABBIE AND I WANT MY BABBIE! and locked you on a single track. Then Starfield stripped the RPG elements even further to the point where any skill use in dialogue will lead to the same path and ending to the quest as regular dialogue choices.

Skyrim is a goddamn perfect game. No cap. Anywhere you go, there's something interesting. The story was dope, and with the newest DLC (fan made stuff added to the game for money but hey!) now pure magic is viable as fuck, and Skyrim the province is such a varied, beautiful setting. That's what I want.

Last edited:
I want it to be Skyrim but next-gen AF.

Bethesda dropped the ball massively with Fallout 4, and big Fallout fans hated 3 and 4 for simplification but to me FO3 made me feel truly free to explore and make crazy decisions (you can nuke an entire town within an hour of starting the game lol). But no, Fallout 4 was all about TEH BABBIE AND I WANT MY BABBIE! and locked you on a single track. Then Starfield stripped the RPG elements even further to the point where any skill use in dialogue will lead to the same path and ending to the quest as regular dialogue choices.

Skyrim is a goddamn perfect game. No cap. Anywhere you go, there's something interesting. The story was dope, and with the newest DLC (fan made stuff added to the game for money but hey!) now pure magic is viable as fuck, and Skyrim the province is such a varied, beautiful setting. That's what I want.
this makes me think i should drop starfield and start skyrim

Billbofet

I don't get all the hate for Starfield, as I am enjoying the shit out of it. That said, it is no Skyrim - not even close, or Oblivion.
I do think the engine has aged too much and needs a change.

Hell, I'd be happy with a new, next-gen engine version of Oblivion/Skyrim and would gladly repurchase Skyrim for the 19th time!

I also much prefer fantasy settings over space, post-apocalyptic, western, etc....

HL3.exe

Before Starfield's release "maybe"
After Starfield's release "nah"

I hoped they made an actual next-gen leap when they developed exclusively for the current generation. But ultimately, they focused on polishing their 15-year-old janky mechanics and systems, without actually rethinking their systems and why they feel dated.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
I can’t see how it could be anything else. Starfield is Fallout in space, while Fallout is just Oblivion with guns. Bethesda’s rpgs haven’t really evolved much since Oblivion.

I hope TES 6 won’t have any load times at least; I want one big, continuous world with seamless traversal between cities, dungeons and buildings.

Regginator

From a role-playing perspective, Bethesda seems to have gone downhills pretty consistently after Morrowind, so by that logic TES6 would follow suit.

I think Skyrim was saved by having that immaculate, once-in-a-generation kind of magical atmosphere, because let's be honest from a gameplay perspective it was pretty dull, but seeing as how Jeremy Soule has been replaced by Inon Zur (who isn't really known for his atmospheric, melodic soundtracks), I really don't see it coming close to their previous entries.

Obviously way too soon to say and yadda yadda, but I hope they manage to do it because TES6 is the only game that would make me get an XSX or S.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I think Skyrim is the most immersive game Bethesda's developed, and I'm a bit worried TES6 won't capture the same magic, so I really wouldn't mind if TES6 was just Skyrim 2. Keep me immersed, Todd.

Paltheos

From a role-playing perspective, Bethesda seems to have gone downhills pretty consistently after Morrowind, so by that logic TES6 would follow suit.

I think Skyrim was saved by having that immaculate, once-in-a-generation kind of magical atmosphere, because let's be honest from a gameplay perspective it was pretty dull, but seeing as how Jeremy Soule has been replaced by Inon Zur (who isn't really known for his atmospheric, melodic soundtracks), I really don't see it coming close to their previous entries.

Obviously way too soon to say and yadda yadda, but I hope they manage to do it because TES6 is the only game that would make me get an XSX or S.

Even at the time, it was crazy how obvious it was. There were perfect direct comparisons to make. Fallout 3 was boring as shit without the beautiful sights and music from Skyrim, and it wasn't just some other intangibles that people couldn't specify because New Vegas exists, in the same setting, and that game's amazing.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I like to be optimistic. In a perfect world Microsoft would want to have a Rockstar equivalent and push for Elder scroll to be their GTA, and push Bethesda to make the best game ever, a little like Ubisoft did with Assassin's Creed 2. But without a strong management and no real limits given to them I fear that a better looking skyrim is the best that we can hope for.

Del_X

I hope so. Overhaul magic and combat, give me a few battles with a lot of enemies and a few large enemies and I'm pretty much good to go.

Stuart360

Hope not.
I'm sure stuff will be refined and improved, but the gameplay will be waht has come before, which is what i would want anyway from a new Elder Scrolls.

It is hard to say how it's gonna look like but I would not be surprised if it will have real castle management system or something.

Celcius

°Temp. member
At this point you know what to expect when you buy an Elder Scrolls game. No way they make your choices matter like BG3.

Last edited:
They're using the same engine as all of their other games, so that's what it will be. Likely will have outdated mechanics when it comes out of the gate like Starfield did.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Given that Starfield for the most part looks way better than even Fallout 4 (which had great art, lighing, much better object and world density), I can't imagine it looking terrible. The bad part of it is that it'll be bog-standard af BGS game when it comes to QOL features, interface, inventory system etc.

Stuart360

Given that Starfield for the most part looks way better than even Fallout 4 (which had great art, lighing, much better object and world density), I can't imagine it looking terrible. The bad part of it is that it'll be bog-standard af BGS game when it comes to QOL features, interface, inventory system etc.
Yeah its not going to be genre defining graphically, like Starfeild isnt (although it still looks great at times).
I would expect it to look better than Starfield though diue to the fact that it will be one big map and can concentrate on that playing field more.

With how loved Skyrim is, i do expect Todd to knock it out of the park. I know some poeple are mixed with Starfield (the real players who have actually played it, not the fake fanboy nonsense) but it is a new IP trying something they havent done before.
Todd knows Elder Scrolls, and i think he will do good.

Robb

Gold Member
Not really. Unless they come out and say it’s a re-boot I don’t understand why anyone would expect it to be something different.

Stuart360

Well, of course, since it will arrive next gen.
I think it may end up cross gen. Imo it will take about 5-6 years, which will put it very close to the next gen launch.
Todd has already said he expects ES6 to take less time to make than Starfield, mainly because it will be one map they have to concentrate on.

eNT1TY

It's so far away that it will look better than anything we have now possibly by a good margin but it will still be Skyrim. Your compass is still gonna have like 6 way points at any given time directing you to points of interest, your quest log will still bloat to be pages long after your first few hours, you're still gonna play it even if you talk shit about it.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Seems people are speaking only about Starfield, then ESVI.

I am participating in these discussions and one thing strikes me: are people really expecting Bethesda to take creative risks with the largest of their IPs, and one of the largest IPs in history, especially given the massive success of Skyrim?
As much as I would want Morrowind to happen again I know it never will - it was a product of a different time, different design philosophies, etc.

So we will get quest markers again, we will get details journal entries telling us where exactly to go, etc. Also if they didn't ditch their 20 year old engine for Starfield, what makes people think they will do it now?

Good? Bad? WDYT

Why would they take any risks? bethesda is the most hated studio now days they are not going to win anyone new over so might as well keep the old ones

Alebrije

Nope, after Starfield you can tell Bethesda's games will be just like Far Cry games...the same stuff with different skin.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I expect it to be a GaaS game where you have access initially to a small section of the map, with more added as expansions over time. Lots of microtransactions in general.

They will probably call it something like Elder Scrolls Online.

I think some people are just unreasonable in their expectations. As most fans of the series will be perfectly fine with more ES with prettier graphics.

Rheon

I just want a new fucking engine.

It's insane to me that Starfield just feels like Skyrim in space. There's almost no major tech leap.

StereoVsn

It's going to be a bit like Starfield but on one planet and magic instead of guns!

Don't worry, you can still roll 10K cheese's down the mountain and don't have to deal with the whole seamless world nonsense as our "Loading" friend will still be there.

BouncyFrag

No expectations. I could see Todd flirting with AI tech for better radiant quests and the like. I look back with fonder memories of Morrowind and Oblivion so I’m not too invested with the follow up to Skyrim.

If Jeremy Soule returns for the soundtrack I will be happy, but I doubt that will happen. 🫤

Last edited:

Raven117

No, I expect it to be worse. Since Jeremy Soule won't be involved in music production (article from 2019), and that was a good chunk of what made Skyrim so engaging for me, I expect I would have a worse time. Don't even know if I'll buy it really.
This cannot be overstated. That soundtrack was a huge part of the soul of Skyrim.

And no...Seeing what they did with Starfield...Im just expecting Skyrim with better graphics and slightly better combat. Which is fine.

For something that pushes the genre, that is coming out next week. Phantom Liberty looks solid.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Why wouldn't it be? lol

but I do not think you guys understand how ES work. Its not just graphics and quests. It does some world simulation as well for primary NPCs and the factions. In skyrim that is almost every town NPC. Havn't you ever got some random msg during skyrim that a NPC for quest was just killed? Like I remember a npc I needed for a quest who would walk between towns got randomly killed by a pack of wolves. lol Also random battles by roaming factions would sway the hatred for each other. There is a lot more than those two examples. You could probably find more about it in a google search.

But thats kind of why Starfield has to have these loading zones. Everything in an "ZONE" not only has to run it's simulation.. it has to load the assets into its simulation as well (place and status). It is why sleeping has a lot of lag ( not only does it run the world simulation for each tick of time int he ZONE, but it has to move assets around accordingly and set time of day..ect ..ect). If you had to do that for an entire galaxy at once it would take forever.

ES6 will surely take that up a notch for sure but maybe not be as bad because its only on one large landmass?

Sleepwalker

Starfield is fallout in space, ESVI will be Starfield in medieval times, Fallout 5 will be ESVI in a nuclear wasteland and so it will go on and on.

Top Bottom