• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Assassin's Creed Unity worth playing?

Montresor

Im trying to decide if I should skip or play Unity. Here are the ratings I gave to the other AC games.

AC Liberation: 3.5 / 5
AC Black Flag: 4/5
AC Revelations: 4/5
AC Brotherhood: 3/5
Assassin's Creed 2: 4/5
Assassin's Creed 1: 2/5

I skipped AC3 and I don't plan on ever playing it. I've heard it is long and tedious and has a boring overworld and an awful beginning (with 10-hour tutorial).

My favourite AC games are Revelations and Black Flag. These games' best qualities are:

Historical settings, story, and characters.

I actually think the game play is quite mediocre in the series. I hate the combat in every single one of these games. And instant failures during tail and stealth missions are annoying. But I usually tolerate all of that to enjoy settings and characters (I loved the pirates and open sea in Black Flag and I loved Constantinople and Rome).

I'm leaning towards playing Unity because I've read the game's bugs and performance are generally fixed from launch. And they removed the reliance on the dumb companion app, right?

But I've always been annoyed at the idea of English accents during the French revolution, and my brother tells me the parkour is very poor (you can accidentally go through windows easily, the mc will do things you don't want him to, etc...).

Draconian

I'm in the same boat as you in general impressions of the series OP. Got Unity for free with my XO a few weeks ago and am eager to read the responses in this thread. I really would like to give it a go though because the French Revolution is such a fascinating time period in world history.

I enjoyed my time with it.

Though the story is terrible and Arno is the worst assassin in the series.

I'd say get it if you can find it under $15.

The built-up city was quite nice, but it makes the platforming stupidly cumbersome. You feel like you're going so slow sometimes thanks to all the stuff around you and your characters propensity to perform weirdly "dense" animations instead of flowing over them like water. Same with some of the jump animations, which look like you're floating towards the next landing.

The story was pretty shit from what I remember. There wasn't even any kind of big happenings, all very droll and rubbish. Didn't feel good at all. The ending made it very apparent that the game is just a stop-gap in the series, like a test for their next gen pipeline of pumping out game after game.

I would just forget about it.

Bloodrage

Banned
Black Flag was better. If that was a 4/5 to you, Unity will feel like a 2/5. It looks nice but the characters sucked, story was beyond bad, combat somehow got worse. Meh all around.

I say play it. I just started playing it about a month ago and it actually isn't bad. The story is interesting so far and while the gameplay is pretty much the run-of-the-mill AC gameplay, it doesn't take away from my enjoyment.

bobawesome

I think 3 gets far too much hate. The biggest problems people seem to have with the game are the character not being Ezio, and the terrible conclusion to the modern day storyline. 10 hours for the tutorial is greatly exaggerated.

I certainly enjoyed it far more than Unity. The entire game felt so lifeless.

ZeroX03

Banned
Story blows and other than a lack of tailing missions it's a downgrade from Black Flag in most ways. Would not recommend, avoid playing it.

did subsequent patches fix / alleviate some of the lower frame rates on the consoles?

Yes. Not perfect but playable.

DOWN

Banned
It's really ambitious, artistically stunning, and creatively inspired. But it falls short of its potential due to tech and bloated mechanics. It's absolutely worth playing, but it had so much potential that it's also my biggest gaming disappointment to date. Could have been a spectacular romantic epic, but it had some unfortunate retractions. Play it, but don't spend too much money on it.

niosh

Banned
As a huge Assassin's Creed fan I think AC3 is worth playing. While I didn't like the main character the story overall was decent and they introduced/experimented with a number of cool new mechanics/game features. Also I personally like the way the game started and the way the main character is introduced.

As far as AC:Unity I liked it the least of all the Assassin Creed games.

The game-play the game was fine, I loved the setting (French Revolution), the visuals are great, and the bugs have all been fixed for the most part. My main issue with the game was the story (or lack thereof). The story wasn't properly fleshed out and overall very disjointed, and there's no reason to even care about the main characters. Also the historical figures referenced barely even make what amounts to a cameo. Basically the time period of the French Revolution was wasted on this game.

I would say it's not worth playing. Assassins Creed games have gotten to the point where it's...where you can say, if you've played one, you've played them all. Aside from story, they're all far too similar.

Black Flag was my first AC and I loved it but I really disliked Unity, the story sucked and the gameplay wasn't very exciting.

I guess it'll depend how much you enjoy the core AC gameplay. But I really can't say Unity is worth your time, from what I experienced

I also liked 3 better than Unity, if you think 3 was boring then Unity will probably be boring for you.

I am not saying 3 is a good game, all i am saying is that both 3 and unity are the weakest in the series, unity being worse story wise.

Crossing Eden will be here soon

But I would say yes. Contrary to my upset with Ubisoft last year and the way they handled the release of this game, I can honestly say, after buying it and playing some of it... It really feels like the best AC to date.

They really went backwards in a good way for this one and really thought out how they were going to build this new Assassin versus the other games and I really enjoy it.

There are major annoyances like the endless bugs that still plague the game and of course the map itself. It's the worst map in AC history and I've played every single one (minute the PsP). I think it worth the pick up at its used price right now tbh. The online portion of the game is really thin so doing coop missions aren't amazing but you can still manage with a good person.

Certinty

Nope. Bought it at launch and haven't even been able to put over 2 hours into it. Saying that even from the short time I've spent with the game, it seems better than 1 and 3.

Honestly i've played every Assassins Creed besides Rogue and the only one I would recommend anyone to play is 2. Rest are all decent at best maybe with the exception of IV which is slightly better.

Iorv3th

The game wouldn't properly install on my PS4. But I got to play the prologue and it was a technical mess. Game should have never been released. Worst 12 dollars I have spent on a game.

I have played all assassins creeds games up to this one and don't plan on playing this one anytime soon and it left such a sour taste in my mouth I will probably not even bother with future games in the series.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
People are saying the story blows but there are some highlights. Arno's relationship with Elise is pretty good. She's a great character.

I think the game is worth playing for the main story but the game is bloated as all fuck when it comes to the side missions. If you're a completionist you should be very cautious.

I'd say so. If you haven't been burnt out by Assassin's Creed yet, its basically Assassin's Creed Brotherhood only with slightly worse missions, better assassinations, worse story and better gameplay.

I'd say you'd enjoy if you have been away from Assassin's Creed for a while.

Best wishes.

Dad

I thought it actually had some of the better assassination missions in the series with plenty of space and options for planning out your route and method. They pop up pretty frequently throughout the story too. I can't speak for PC, but the PS4 version's performance is better than it was at launch, but it's still prone to crashes and some grating pop-in and FPS drops. Paris is gorgeous, but the characters and story are adequate at best. It's probably worth checking out if you can get it cheap.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Depends.

The performance on consoles is shit. The story and the protagonist are bad.

The city features the probably coolest famous buildings so far, and climbing them is still the best thing about the game.

Other than that it's you standard Assassin's Creed game, for the better or the worse. Missions are repetitive, controls are heavy, indirect, and often times unpredictable.

I was rather disappointed, mostly because the convoluted story just didn't motivate me at all.

Wait, hold on...you liked Revelations more than Brotherhood? That's weird.

Revelations is the only one I haven't played, but I do own it. Brotherhood is a personal favourite, though.

Revelations doesn't seem or sound like it's as good, and it'll be tough to go back to the Desmond garbage. I've never liked those puzzles.

Grisby

It's alright. The game moves back to larger crowds and better parkour, but the missions still weren't super great and the main story was just kind of blah.

The graphics are incredible though. Could not stop taking screenies on the PS4.

You know, I feel like a lot of the mystery in AC is gone, but I guess you get that way after yearly games. They didn't even attempt to try any future stuff in this game.

People are saying the story blows but there are some highlights. Arno's relationship with Elise is pretty good. She's a great character.

I think the game is worth playing for the main story but the game is bloated as all fuck when it comes to the side missions. If you're a completionist you should be very cautious.
She's a great character until she goes full retard torwards the end

WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST LET ME DIE SO YOU MAYBE PERHAPS KINDA GOT A CHANCE AT KILLING HIM
HELP YOU GET UP SO WE CAN GET HIM TOGETHER OR CHARGE AT HIM LIKE AN IDIOT BECAUSE HE MIGHT LEAVE THIS ROOM? SORRY ARNO, MY ANGST CANNOT BE CONTAINED IN THIS MORTAL COIL

tuxfool

Banned
I quite liked 3 despite its problems and really liked 4. I think Unity is creatively bankrupt in most ways I can think of. It is a very pretty game on PC but that is about it on my positive feelings about the game.

However, take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I'm utterly burnt out on the franchise that no matter what they might do in the future, if it bears the AssCreed name, I probably won't care about it.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
You know, I feel like a lot of the mystery in AC is gone, but I guess you get that way after yearly games. They didn't even attempt to try any future stuff in this game.

I agree with this. Many people didn't like the future story arc, but I thought that it gave the games some sort of purpose. The super short and random appearance of present day templars in Unity during these video feeds is absolutely ridiculous. The game would have been better if they left them out of the game entirely. Anyway, without any present day story and without any intelligible story in the past I just wasn't motivated to find out the ending of the story. The game just became a grinding game really.

I quite liked it, impressive detail, some nice characters like Elise. Also liked how the traversal and climbing was done except for some tight spaces where you can get stuck on things.

Some of the assassination mission can be played well if you get into the game. To me though, the whole series seems like a waste of potential.

I agree with this. Many people didn't like the future story arc, but I thought that it gave the games some sort of purpose. The super short and random appearance of present day templars in Unity during these video feeds is absolutely ridiculous. The game would have been better if they left them out of the game entirely. Anyway, without any present day story and without any intelligible story in the past I just wasn't motivated to find out the ending of the story. The game just became a grinding game really.
I really don't get what was up with the modern day stuff on Unity. It's like they forgot to add half of the modern day plot, it just... stops randomly.

Skux

Yes. I think it's the closest game to AC2 that they've made since. There are no pointless diversions like the Assassin spreadsheet game or tower defense, it's just you in an amazing city with buildings to climb and people to stab. The missions are open ended and far less frustrating than the insta-fail ones of previous games. And the core gameplay loop of scouting, infiltration, assassination and escape is enjoyable.

Yeah there are a bunch of flaws with it (bloated world of collectibles, modern story is nonexistent, combat still sucks), but at least give it a try.

It's really ambitious, artistically stunning, and creatively inspired. But it falls short of its potential due to tech and bloated mechanics. It's absolutely worth playing, but it had so much potential that it's also my biggest gaming disappointment to date. Could have been a spectacular romantic epic, but it had some unfortunate retractions. Play it, but don't spend too much money on it.
I agree.

Well said.

Vire

I've played every Assassin's Creed except Liberation and I can easily say:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Please no god.

Top Bottom