• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway exclusive to PS3??

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Looking more and more likely.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/news.php?aid=16195

While Microsoft continues to enjoy an unrivalled market lead in next generation hardware, it's the software that ultimately defines success or failure. Although there's nothing in the announcement to say that the new game won't be appearing on the Xbox 360 at a later date, the fact that the title will debut this holiday season as one of the early launch titles for Sony's new machine may come as a bit of a blow to the Redmond-based giant.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
The french press release about this was very vague. It was something like Ubisoft announced today that blabla was coming to next gen platforms, including PS3 and PC. No mention of 360, but the phrasing is reallt strange.

Since it's not PS3 exclusive (coming to PC as well) I'd be surprised if it didn't hit 360 eventually, even if it's not simultaneous.

Elios83

Ubisoft not making a totally multiplatform game?:D
That would be really surprising.I don't care about the game anyway.

Striek

I can't see why it would be...

I think both OXM and OPM had previews of it, although its likely both were from PC builds.

Maybe for marketing purposes could PS3 have it as timed-exclusive but I don't think in a launch with Resistance:FoM, Unreal Tournament 2007 and Medal of Honor - and probably CoD:BRO 3 - it will be particularly prized by gamers or sought after by Sony.

Blimblim said:
The french press release about this was very vague. It was something like Ubisoft announced today that blabla was coming to next gen platforms, including PS3 and PC. No mention of 360, but the phrasing is reallt strange.

The english one was equally as vague, but regardless I'd probably bet it will end up on 360 as well.

Elios83 said:
Ubisoft not making a totally multiplatform game?:D
That would be really surprising.
Not at all. They've done it in the past and will continue to do it in the future. FC:Instincts Xbox exclusive, Naruto Xbox 360 exclusive are two cases. Red Steel for rev too, but it's designed around the revmote, so it's exclusive "by design".

Edit - from the press release:

SAN FRANCISCO — April 12, 2006 — Today Ubisoft, one of the world's largest video game publishers and Gearbox Software, one of the world's best video game developers announced that Brothers In Arms Hell's Highway™ is in development for next generation video game platforms, including the PLAYSTATION®3 system and the PC. Scheduled for a holiday 2006 release, Brothers In Arms Hell's Highway is the third game in the multimillion-unit selling and critically acclaimed Brothers In Arms® franchise.
The key word here is "including" ;-)

Yoboman

Because Ubisoft and exclusives are synonymous, WHO'S WITH ME IM RIGHT HUH? GIVE IT TO ME STRAIGHT I NO WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT

thorns

Banned
Spider_Jerusalem said:
Not at all. They've done it in the past and will continue to do it in the future. FC:Instincts Xbox exclusive, Naruto Xbox 360 exclusive are two cases. Red Steel for rev too, but it's designed around the revmote, so it's exclusive "by design".

Edit - from the press release:

The key word here is "including" ;-)

doesn't help that it says at the end of the press release that OXM will have an exclusive first look at the game. A WTF inducing press release for sure..

Syb

"next generation video game platforms"

I wasnt aware that the PC was a next generation video game platform. 360 version to be shown at E3? Maybe.

Aryuken

Banned
Including. The game is coming to the Xbox 360, we have seen a preview in OXM. Also it was announced at Xo5 that This and Project assassin would too have Xbox 360 versions.

So, no it's not exclusive, not even timed exclusive.

Brother's in Arm:Highway to Hell is on the cover of this months OXM.......there is an interview with the games producer on the OXM podcast where they talk about the game. Of course it's coming to the 360.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
thorns said:
doesn't help that it says at the end of the press release that OXM will have an exclusive first look at the game. A WTF inducing press release for sure..

This one?

4/12/2006 - Ubisoft and Gearbox Software announce Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway™ for next gen consoles and PC

Paris, FRANCE — April 10, 2006 — Today Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest video game publishers and Gearbox Software, one of the world’s best video game developers announced that Brothers In Arms Hell’s Highway™ is in development for next generation video game platforms, including the PLAYSTATION®3 system and the PC. Scheduled for a holiday 2006 release, Brothers in Arms Hell’s Highway is the third game in the multimillion-unit selling and critically acclaimed Brothers In Arms® franchise.

Brothers In Arms Hell’s Highway brings the critically acclaimed squad-based WWII shooter into the next generation of gaming with amazing graphics and sound, new cutting-edge gameplay features, and a completely redesigned online component. Delivering on the franchise’s compelling story, unrivaled authenticity and intense squad-based action, Brothers In Arms Hell’s Highway drops you into Operation Market-Garden, the largest airborne operation of World War II. Lead Matt Baker, Joe Hartsock and the rest of the 101st Airborne Division as they fight to open “Hell’s Highway” in a daring bid for a quick end to the war.

“With Brothers In Arms Hell’s Highway, Gearbox is investing everything to take next-generation gaming to an entirely new level,” said Randy Pitchford, president of Gearbox Software. “For Brothers In Arms Hell’s Highway, the Unreal Engine 3 powers real next-generation graphics and the most intense, action-oriented recreation of true history ever offered as interactive entertainment.”

About Gearbox
Gearbox Software, an independent development studio located in Dallas, TX, is respected industry-wide for their ability to create award winning interactive software. Comprised of veteran talent, Gearbox Software has established itself as an industry leader, developing games for many of the industry’s top franchises including Half-Life, Halo: Combat Evolved, Counter-Strike, James Bond and Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater. Additional information regarding Gearbox Software can be found at www.gearboxsoftware.com.

About Ubisoft
Ubisoft is a leading producer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment products worldwide and has grown considerably through its strong and diversified lineup of products and partnerships. Ubisoft has offices in 21 countries and sales in more than 50 countries around the globe. It is committed to delivering high-quality, cutting-edge video game titles to consumers. Ubisoft generated revenue of 538 million Euros for the 2004–2005 fiscal year, an increase of 8 percent over the previous fiscal year at constant exchange rates. To learn more, please visit www.ubisoftgroup.com.

© 2006 Gearbox Software, L.L.C. All rights reserved. Published and distributed by Ubisoft Entertainment under license from Gearbox Software, L.L.C. Brothers In Arms Hell's Highway is a trademark of Gearbox Software and is used under license. Ubisoft, Ubi.com and the Ubisoft logo are trademarks of Ubisoft Entertainment in the U.S. and/or other countries. Gearbox Software and the Gearbox logo are registered trademarks of Gearbox Software, LLC. “PlayStation” and the “PS” Family, “PLAYSTATION” are registered trademarks of Sony Computer

This title has not yet been concept approved by Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.

No mention of OXM. But I think Gamesindustry.biz is reading a bit much into this. I don't know why Ubi would selectively name platforms, but I'd be surprised even if it was a timed exclusive.

gofreak said:
This one?
No. This:

SAN FRANCISCO — April 12, 2006 — Today Ubisoft, one of the world's largest video game publishers and Gearbox Software, one of the world's best video game developers announced that Brothers In Arms Hell's Highway™ is in development for next generation video game platforms, including the PLAYSTATION®3 system and the PC. Scheduled for a holiday 2006 release, Brothers In Arms Hell's Highway is the third game in the multimillion-unit selling and critically acclaimed Brothers In Arms® franchise.

Brothers In Arms Hell's Highway brings the critically acclaimed squad-based WWII shooter into the next generation of gaming with amazing graphics and sound, new cutting-edge gameplay features and a completely redesigned online component. Delivering on the franchise's compelling story, unrivaled authenticity and intense squad-based action, Brothers In Arms Hell's Highway drops you into Operation Market-Garden, the largest airborne operation of World War II. Lead Matt Baker, Joe Hartsock and the rest of the 101st Airborne Division as they fight to open "Hell's Highway" in a daring bid for a quick end to the war.

"With Brothers In Arms Hell's Highway, Gearbox is investing everything to take next-generation gaming to an entirely new level," said Randy Pitchford, president of Gearbox Software. "For Brothers In Arms Hell's Highway, the Unreal Engine 3 powers real next-generation graphics and the most intense, action-oriented recreation of true history ever offered as interactive entertainment."

"Since the series was introduced last year, Brothers In Arms has consistently excelled at delivering a new style of tactical shooter wrapped up in an authentic WWII setting," said Francesca Reyes, editor-in-chief at Official Xbox Magazine (OXM). "As fans of the Brothers In Arms series, OXM is incredibly excited to be the first to reveal to readers the world-exclusive first-look at Brothers In Arms Hell's Highway." The issue is available on newsstands since April 11, 2006.

This title has not yet been concept approved by Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think it's pretty clear it's just weird wording, then. GI is reading way, way too much into that.

Maybe it's a timed exclusive, launch PS3 title and Feb '07 for 360. Remember that Ubisoft leaked list said something about Feb '07 release for BiA3, who knows.

lilltias

Considering how well UE3 runs on XO it would be really really stupid not to release the game on that very platform. That, and then there's the OXM article too...

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Xbox/360 fans are Ubi's best audience at the moment and I don't see them turning their backs on that base any time soon.

Sysgen

Ubisoft is not going to forgo the holiday season on the platform whose userbase is avid for these types of games, of which have sold extremely well (COD2, GRAW). Add in the limited userbase for the PS3 this Christmas and exclusive on the PS3 makes no business sense whatsoever.

Pfftt, UbiSoft ditching the 360? :lol

Forgive me if I am wrong, but hasn't every single one of their multiplatform titles sold the best on Xbox?

It would never happen without a huge moneyhat. I don't see this happening this gen with a title that is part of an existing multiplatform franchise.

This whole thing sounds fishy and I think the haters that desperately want 360 to lose titles will be disappointed.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I don't see what there is to read into here. Xbox 360 is the only released platform officially acknowledged as a next-gen system at this point in any PR. PC is never really officially regarded as a "current" or "next" gen anyway such why it has to be "included" and Sony always likes to play with way they describe their platform (computer entertainment system), so same thing.

It just reads like overly fussy PR, putting too much emphasis on the semantics used around describing each of these platforms.

squicken

I've read Ubi was pissed at MS over the Lionhead deal, so maybe they're getting some revenge? I doubt it, but a timed exclusive isn't out of the question, even with the OXM coverage.

squicken said:
I've read Ubi was pissed at MS over the Lionhead deal, so maybe they're getting some revenge? I doubt it, but a timed exclusive isn't out of the question, even with the OXM coverage.

I pity your nose if your face ever raises your ire.

Az987

all good things
Unless Sony moves the analog sticks on the PS3 controller to mimic Xbox's, I will personally blow UBISOFT and the whole fucking country of France, up if this happens.

blindrocket said:
Well, Mouse/Keyboard support on the PS3 makes it a no brainer for me.

Unless they allow online hosts to block kb/m users, that little 'feature' just eliminated the PS3 version from my consideration. I'll buy the PC version if I want kb/m for myself or opponents, thank you.

I put more weight into single player when it comes to my game purchases, so the superior controller format will win my purchase regardless of online options. But with that said, even if they don't segregate controller types, I'll probably join up with a group of players that only play KB/M too and will just play with them. Thank you. :D

siamesedreamer said:
Pfftt, UbiSoft ditching the 360? :lol

Forgive me if I am wrong, but hasn't every single one of their multiplatform titles sold the best on Xbox?

Nope. Just the Clancy titles & BIH. Everything else sold best on the PS2.

Of course, those titles make up 65-70% of Ubi's sales in the US.

Aryuken

Banned
blindrocket said:
Well, Mouse/Keyboard support on the PS3 makes it a no brainer for me. :)

Yeah...and has Gearbox announced support for it? Lol
You know...just because the Ps3 supports it...doesn't mean squad, the Ps2 also supported it. Hell even the Xbox 360 supports it, it's up to the developers

mollipen

blindrocket said:
Maybe they could create a text based control system. :)

Awesome... it'd be an easy win most times, because a majority of your opponents won't be able to spell any of the commands properly.

Mrbob

blindrocket said:
Well, Mouse/Keyboard support on the PS3 makes it a no brainer for me. :)

QFT.

And I doubt they'll seperate key/mouse users from controller users. Their own damn fault if they want to get their ass kicked.

Mrbob said:
And I doubt they'll seperate key/mouse users from controller users. Their own damn fault if they want to get their ass kicked.

That's a great way to build support for your new online infrastructure, a bunch of frustrated users who just wanted to play on a level playing field. Yeah, mass-market America is just dying to set up some kind of tray table on their couch just to avoid getting the shit kicked out of themselves online. :lol

Mrbob

beermonkey@tehbias said:
That's a great way to build support for your new online infrastructure, a bunch of frustrated users who just wanted to play on a level playing field. Yeah, mass-market America is just dying to set up some kind of tray table on their couch just to avoid getting the shit kicked out of themselves online. :lol

PS3 marketshare will be big enough there will never be a shortage of users online. ;)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
beermonkey@tehbias said:
So then they stick to people on their friends list who they trust to play a fair game - I believe that's typically what you'd say if we were talking about XBL and the vagaries of playing with strangers online...

Top Bottom