• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is CBS rewriting the history of Star Trek?

Oberstein

When I saw that article, I figured how wrong it was. Seven was never queer, at any time. No sexual tension with Janeway (contrary to what the article says). Basically, what the article doesn't say is that the cultural trend of the time is changing the Star Trek canon... and I find that unacceptable.

You see, that's why we end up with series with completely dumb scripts: They put the emotion and the new trends of the moment at the center, and it doesn't matter if 30 years of Star Trek has to bend over backwards to fit in. As Redlettermedia said in one of its videos, and contrary to what people think, Star Trek before Discovery wasn't primarily intended to put forward this "progressive" vision of the world. At least the one we imagine now (which was different until the early 2000s).

And today we find ourselves with zealots of modern philosophy who tell you what to think of a license that we've loved for decades.

b5d051203b31ac3affb6d4b951aa4fc9.jpg

ManaByte

When I saw that article, I figured how wrong it was. Seven was never queer, at any time. No sexual tension with Janeway (contrary to what the article says). Basically, what the article doesn't say is that the cultural trend of the time is changing the Star Trek canon... and I find that unacceptable.

You see, that's why we end up with series with completely dumb scripts: They put the emotion and the new trends of the moment at the center, and it doesn't matter if 30 years of Star Trek has to bend over backwards to fit in. As Redlettermedia said in one of its videos, and contrary to what people think, Star Trek before Discovery wasn't primarily intended to put forward this "progressive" vision of the world. At least the one we imagine now (which was different until the early 2000s).

And today we find ourselves with zealots of modern philosophy who tell you what to think of a license that we've loved for decades.

b5d051203b31ac3affb6d4b951aa4fc9.jpg

Shouta

There was never that kind of tension with Janeway unless you were really reaching. Seven being bi is fine though, she has bad taste in men anyway. I mean Chakotay?

Last edited:

eot

Banned
Kate Mulgrew and Jeri Ryan didn’t like each other so I doubt they would’ve written 7of9 that way even if it was at some point intended, which I really doubt. There’s nothing that even hints at it.

StormCell

And this completely underscores my problem with current-Trek. There was never even the slightest hint of Seven's interest in other ladies throughout Voyager. It's completely revisionist for them to come forward today claiming that this is what they always wanted to do with her.

And this is what the Woke Agenda does to good stories. You get this awesome story and everything is moving along normally, and then BAM!!! GET WOKE!!! Fan favorite characters going gay left and right!

The subject matter of trans acceptance and "alternative" sexual preferences has been going on at least since Deep Space 9 or latter-season TNG. There's an episode where Riker has a fling with a non-gendered alien who feels like a female. Dax from DS9 is regularly uses as the prop to explore trans / bisexual themes from a safe distance. Nothing unusual there.

But declaring a character's sexuality years after the fact is 100% "Dumbledore is gay" territory.

Seven has a fling with Harry Kim and/or Chakotay (iirc).

This is the only time long hair has Madea woman look better... To me, at least.

On topic... It doesn't matter to me if she was always meant to be bi. Just don't make it seem like she was secretly a Q this whole time or something.

IDK, remember that episode where she got stranded with some other Vulcans in 1950's USA and worked as a waitress in some restaurant posing as a human with the rest of the crew..... She then sold technology (velcro) and gave the money to the bus boy working their so he could go to college.

The whole setup of having Vulcans live among humans in 1950's U.S.A and her interactions seemed like a very Q thing to do................

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Can't say I really care. Does her being hot for women as well as men change anything about the original shows? I mean it's a clumsy retcon but other than that it's fine. I'm pretty sure Kirk must have banged some quad-sexual alien at some point in the very original series, dude was dtf with any alien willing.

I don't have a problem with her being bi.
It's just the awkward way this is shoved into the audiences asses at the end that irks me.

Oberstein

The subject matter of trans acceptance and "alternative" sexual preferences has been going on at least since Deep Space 9 or latter-season TNG. There's an episode where Riker has a fling with a non-gendered alien who feels like a female. Dax from DS9 is regularly uses as the prop to explore trans / bisexual themes from a safe distance. Nothing unusual there.

But declaring a character's sexuality years after the fact is 100% "Dumbledore is gay" territory.
Seven has a fling with Harry Kim and/or Chakotay (iirc).

That's the whole problem: Star Trek was venturing into this kind of story and that's fine. Now there's a difference between presenting original characters and changing the nature of what was done before.
Seven also had heterosexual relationships all the time, in almost every situation.

XLpLIZLVFmEXyOoq1hoCVU8iUx6Y6l4CPp6WboYeOtEo1Q6rpq_-G0-EPNAnwJXgO71mI0V7sPM1Gdl3wLIaUH6ZbM5H8Wdcd5w

Can't say I really care. Does her being hot for women as well as men change anything about the original shows? I mean it's a clumsy retcon but other than that it's fine. I'm pretty sure Kirk must have banged some quad-sexual alien at some point in the very original series, dude was dtf with any alien willing.

The issue is not to represent this minority, it's to transform them into the majority and change the canon.
In the documentary "What we left behind" on DS9, Ira Behr complains that they only did one episode on homosexuality... well, that's precisely what I was saying above: the series never made it its core target.
They could have made the character of Raffi (or Agnes) going in that direction since the beginning. And not necessarily change the character of Seven.

But hey, that's not the big problem of Picard or Discovery. They changed the rules and turn them into series with lame plots on 10h.

When Leonard Nimoy was talking about Star Trek, you could see how different the mentality was:

Forsythia

Sexual tension between Janeway and Seven? Whut? That did not happen at all. And Seven suddenly being queer is a retcon just to virtue signal, something that Star Trek doesn't really need anyway.

xandaca

The Star Trek website has been doing these revisionist hot-takes for a while, I remember glancing through one a while ago about how the TV show Picard demonstrated how the character had to accept his privilege and yadda yadda. Complete guff, of course, since the concept of 'privilege' doesn't exist on Earth in classic Trek courtesy of values common across the Federation. I rewatched 'The Drumhead' a few days ago so I could write a blog about it in relation to social media and the reason (one of many, really, but a key one) it holds up so beautifully is because it's not chasing trends or content to nihilistically mirror contemporary sociopolitical concerns, but telling a story about human nature which will likely ring true at any point in time, in any social milieu. Meanwhile, the only reason anyone's still talking about PIcard through the prism of the RLM review.

(Incidentally: rewatch 'The Drumhead')

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Future Janeway in the final episode of Voyager said Seven and Chicotay were married.
Whatever. Gay, straight they're all fictional anyway.
She could have three assholes for all I care.

Grinchy

Banned
I feel like the Terminator was always gay and liked them young. I mean, look how obsessed he was with John Connor. First he wants to kill him, then he wants to save him. It's a typical love story. He can't get enough!

Unfortunately, in the 90s it wasn't acceptable to have gay romances with large age gaps, so they couldn't write it that way, but the character has canonically always been gay and slightly pedo.

Oberstein

The Star Trek website has been doing these revisionist hot-takes for a while, I remember glancing through one a while ago about how the TV show Picard demonstrated how the character had to accept his privilege and yadda yadda. Complete guff, of course, since the concept of 'privilege' doesn't exist on Earth in classic Trek courtesy of values common across the Federation. I rewatched 'The Drumhead' a few days ago so I could write a blog about it in relation to social media and the reason (one of many, really, but a key one) it holds up so beautifully is because it's not chasing trends or content to nihilistically mirror contemporary sociopolitical concerns, but telling a story about human nature which will likely ring true at any point in time, in any social milieu. Meanwhile, the only reason anyone's still talking about PIcard through the prism of the RLM review.

(Incidentally: rewatch 'The Drumhead')

A truly salutary episode.

What annoys me is to see old fans getting along with Disco and Picard, when they're practically going in the opposite direction. And the worst thing is that the next ten years of ST will be with Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman behind him.

🤣 I guess they are all bi or gay characters now .... :rolleyes:

she was so hot in that episode

Last edited:

mango drank

I'm so disappointed that the majority of Nu Trek feels like bad fanfic. Ironically, I'll bet there's amazing ST fanfic out there that wipes the floor with anything Nu Trek.

I'm cautiously optimistic about ST: Strange New Worlds, but after Discovery and Picard, I'm not getting my hopes up. Feels sad to say, mang. All these new ST seasons and series being made means that CBS is making lots of money on Nu Trek, which most likely means full speed ahead on the complete garbage hyperactive style they've got going, for many years to come.

Top Bottom