• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Cliffyb the best developer ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CliffyB singlehandedly saved this gen with Demon's Souls.

charlie-murphy-lol-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1289.gif

<3

Man

Longevity and being consistent with your output is a must to be the best dev ever and Carmack isn't it. It's the same with, for example, music stars. Most of the ones considered the greatest ever are the ones who have stood the test of time.
We are talking singular developers. Even if ID Software can't outmatch a Valve made title in quality it doesn't mean that Carmacks skillset has dived. All ID engines have amazing tech including #5/Rage thanks to this person (in particular).
If Carmack decided to put himself out for hire all studios in the western hemisphere would claw each others eyes out.

Sophuis

Neo Member
No.

Also, this trend of people stating their opinion in the form of a question and using this as the thread title is annoying me. Observe, then please stop it.

Kade

Next time you work on something that women will scar their bodies to show their love of, call me. Until then, shut the fuck up. ;D - Clifford "CliffyB" Bleszinski, 2012

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
He's not Masuda-san, so no.

He's one of the best American devs though, for sure.

KongRudi

Banned
Sid Meier perhaps.

Probably 30 or 40 titles under his belt, but Pirates, Civilization, Silent Service, Gunship, Sword of the Samurai, Railroad Tycoon, Magic: The Gathering and Colonization is my personal favourites, wich he made.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Is this a joke thread? I've been reading the OP's posts and I swear this has to be a freaking troll. And to answer the question: no.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
most popular? YES
the best? NO
one of the best? Maybe

Raide

I like Cliffy B not just because of his games but the passion which drives him to make great games. You can tell he utterly loves making games and will continue to keep making games he loves. Many developers now are just jaded boring people churning out whatever their backing Publisher wants from them.

While he may not the the best, he certainly has a load of passion for his craft which makes him stand out as being way more interesting and engaging to listen to and watch. The industry has loads of talented developers but it also has loads of sterile and boring PR driven Yes Men. If I wanted someone to talk up a new game without looking like he was reading off a PR script, it would be Cliffy B.

eXistor

I have nothing against him, but none of his games I've played (and these date back to Jazz Jackrabbit) have given me a lot of entertainment. Him games seem to cater to a very specific set of people. A big set, that likes explosions sure, but a very one-note set. I've always respected developers that can do different genres and do them well. People like Miyamoto or Schafer command a lot more respect in that regard.

Man

People defending Cliffy, please. He seems like a rooted and reasonable guy. Simply because people have a different opinion than the OP doesn't hurt him one bit. He will/should be hugely proud to even be mentioned in the company of all the other names being posted.

Xanadu

Banned
followed him on twitter. Just god damn annoying. (Unfollowed) I don't play console games. Who is this guy again?

Clifford Michael Bleszinski (born February 12, 1975) is the design director for the game development company Epic Games in Cary, North Carolina. He is most famous for his continuing hand in the development of the Unreal franchise, especially 1999's Unreal Tournament, and the Gears of War franchise. He cites Shigeru Miyamoto as his biggest influence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom