• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Cold War a flop? What’s going on here?

Kupfer

Campaign is mediocre last gen at best. Idk, there's just something about it that says it was made 8 years ago and then shelved for a bit
Yeah, I was afraid of that. But when I watch a The Rock film, I don't expect any mental effusions. Sometimes this blunt CoD shooting gallery is enough for me, but as I said, not for the price.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
It feels a little weird, even after messing with my sensitivity settings and trying to adjust shit it just feels way off. I tried it on Series X and PC

I had the same feeling when trying the beta on PC. It never sat right with me, and going back to WWII is like night and day.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Good. Cold War is garbage.
Ok so I gave the game a second chance and I retract my earlier statement.
Part of the problem was I getting a bug that gave the game a Vaseline lens look to it and the graphics were quite bad. Also there was an audio bug that made interesting matches sound like I'd been hit with a stun grenade. Thankfully that seems to have gone away.
Now that I've played more I actually like the game (quite a bit). Its a little faster than I like but it is possible to play tactically.
I really miss the lean/peak ability from Modern Warfare.
The maps are pretty good but they need to add more fast.

Paasei

I was very interested in the campaign, but then I found out it only takes 3 hours to finish. Shame.

Multiplayer doesn't interest me all that much anymore. People still play the previous game and Warzone is on the only BR I ever liked, because of the familiar gameplay.

Kerotan

The traditional cod of campaign, zombies and multiplayer on maps the exact fucking same as 10 years ago is done to death. No wonder it's not as popular as warzone which is free and better.

They basically stole battlefields thunder with that thing.

PreFire

It is for a few reasons.

- Doesn't look as good as Modern Warfare
- Server issues
- Only 8 Multiplayer Maps
- MP Bugs.

I'm shocked that Treyarch didn't do a big engine overhaul like IW did with MW. Say what you want about the game, but it does look really damn good.

Points 3 and 4 are probably due to this - This game was originally something else before Treyarch stepped in to take over the project because it wasn't going well. After a year or so, we had the WFH situation in March, from then til release they had to piece this all together with the same deadline, not having their normal 3 years, and not even having 2 full years in the studio.

I do enjoy hopping in and out of CoD but this is the first one I've skipped. It just isn't on the same quality level as what IW put out, and 8 core MP maps for a CoD game is ridiculous.
Basically, this
I skipped this one too. I'm still enjoying MW, and I don't touch Warzone.

SkylineRKR

I liked the Beta after hating it the first few hours. But not enough to buy the game. It feels and looks like a cheap knockoff. Its funny that MW gets so much praise now though, its a better looking and playing game but the maps and camp was far worse. Everyone hid himself. I didn't have this issue in Black Ops beta.

GenericUser

I was a huge cod fan, but I can't bring myself to buy cold war right now. Reasons:

- I can't get a PS5 right now and it feels like I'm missing out if I play the last-gen versions
- very limited selection of multiplayer maps (6 maps I think, lol 8 maps, still now enough)
- SBMM still going strong witht this game, no laid back cod gaming like in the old days

I'm also not a huge fan of battle royale modes and it seems like the devs prioritize this over the old school multiplayer.
Nah, I'll pass for now.

Last edited:

nikos

It's not good compared to Modern Warfare, especially Warzone. The campaign is nowhere near as good, multiplayer isn't too great and only shipped with eight maps, game engine is a step backwards.

Warzone is an entirely different experience and on another level. I'll still play Cold War as needed, only to unlock/level up weapons for Warzone, but that's about it.

Stuart360

Its a bit of a weird situation this year with COD because unlike most years where the current COD is already on its last legs by the time the new one comes out, MW has actually maintained a playerbase, and maintained gamer positivity.
If anything, Cold War is kind of sabotaging COD itself in a weird way. Plus it doesnt seem to very good, which isnt helping.
3 months from now, i expect MW, and Warzone obviously, to be way ahead of Cold War.

White-fire

The game sold very well digitally and well physically too if I remember the reports correctly (I might be wrong on the sales data). It is not a flop, at least on next-gen consoles. Even the worst CODs sell gangbusters and this is far from the worst. I'm not sure why the XBL data shows it so low.

mcz117chief

I was very interested in the campaign, but then I found out it only takes 3 hours to finish. Shame.
3 hours only? My first playthrough was more like 8 and I died only twice. The campaign is very VERY good from start to finish. If you ignore all the extra content and just blow through the main story taking ZERO detours and you know exactly what to do and where (basically speedrunning) and skip all the cutscenes then I guess you can beat it in 3 hours. There is a lot of side content: secret missions, conversations both normal and environmental, a ton of classic Activision arcade machines which you can play (I have spent around an hour just in "the arcade") and two different final missions you can choose from. The second to last mission is one of the most fun, well designed and original I have played in a while and even then the others are also very good, memorable, fun and varied. There isn't a single dead space in the campaign, it is incredibly varied and shined to perfection. I would definitely rank it in my top 3 Call of Duty campaigns.

The campaign is nowhere near as good

I can't imagine anyone thinking this for real. MW's campaign is almost as bad Black Ops 3. MW is just terrible and ain't got nothing on Cold War, literally nothing. Not a single level in the entire MW campaign can come even CLOSE to any level in Cold War.

Last edited:
COD itself will continue to dominate for years to come. Cold War however, has a much shorter campaign, somehow ends up looking worse than MW and multiplayer is kinda arcadey. But the biggest thing I would think is because it doesnt have its own BR map, at least for now. Theres massive ammounts fo players playing Warzone so them switching to a new COD just to play some so-so mp maps instead of a full new BR map is not incentive enough to jump ship. Even worse, they are adding Cold War items to WZ so Im not even sure if there ever will be a new map. Then again Treyarch games I always liked the least.

Hudo

I really think it's time for Activision to take all this money they've earned and rethink their product strategy. First off should be Blizzard and their horrible output and PR work the last couple of years. I'm still baffled at how everyone at Blizzard seemed to be OK with the state of WarCraft III: Reforged and releasing it like that. One of the best RTS games of all time remade as one of the worst remakes the industry has shat out so far and actively fuckin' lying to people.

And I think it would do Call of Duty good to not release a game every year. Then the horrible mismanagement of everything Destiny and Bungie related and how that whole relationship ended. And about handling the Tony Hawk's franchise. Ok they've actually managed to get out a good game after a long streak of low-quality cash grabs, using the Tony Hawk name. It was a very refreshing move that they actually allowed for the Spyro Trilogy remake and what they're doing with Crash now. And also Sekiro... please more of those things, Activision!

And can we talk about their Sierra catalogue? How the fuck can they not do anything with it? Quest for Glory? Space Quest? King's Quest? SWAT? Caesar, Zork (I know, Infocom, not Sierra... but still...),
They're almost on EA levels of having a ridiculous amount of big IPs in the backlog but not doing anything substantial with it.

mcz117chief

has a much shorter campaign
This is just straight up not true. MW's campaign is way shorter. Maybe if you compare speed runs then sure but normal playthrough where you experience everything the campaigns have to offer then Cold War is about twice as long. The amount of side content is staggering in Cold War, you can lose hours in certain rooms in Cold War.

Last edited:

nikos

3 hours only? My first playthrough was more like 8 and I died only twice. The campaign is very VERY good from start to finish. If you ignore all the extra content and just blow through the main story taking ZERO detours and you know exactly what to do and where (basically speedrunning) and skip all the cutscenes then I guess you can beat it in 3 hours. There is a lot of side content: secret missions, conversations both normal and environmental, a ton of classic Activision arcade machines which you can play (I have spent around an hour just in "the arcade") and two different final missions you can choose from. The second to last mission is one of the most fun, well designed and original I have played in a while and even then the others are also very good, memorable, fun and varied. There isn't a single dead space in the campaign, it is incredibly varied and shined to perfection. I would definitely rank it in my top 3 Call of Duty campaigns.

I can't imagine anyone thinking this for real. MW's campaign is almost as bad Black Ops 3. MW is just terrible and ain't got nothing on Cold War, literally nothing. Not a single level in the entire MW campaign can come even CLOSE to any level in Cold War.

The decision making and somewhat meaningful intel for side missions was nice, but it was over way too soon (minus side content) and no moment was nearly as impactful as some found in MW. That game had some really memorable missions. This campaign was fun, but I didn't find it to be anything special.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

The decision making and somewhat meaningful intel for side missions was nice, but it was over way too soon (minus side content) and no moment was nearly as impactful as some found in MW. That game had some really memorable missions. This campaign was fun, but I didn't find it to be anything special.
All the campaign missions are incredibly varied and interesting. The Berlin metro infiltration followed by a cat and mouse chase with the Stasi is insanely well done. Just a chance to see the Berlin wall again is amazing, I have spent around quarter of hour just looking at all the intricate details, then the café scene, finding the infomant and then infiltrating the house of that Soviet spy followed by an incredible warehouse shootout, just fire! Then you got the amazing mainframe retrieval with all the ziplines, bow, stealth etc. But nothing really compares to the KGB HQ mission, which is probably my favorite mission in Call of Duty history. The music, aesthetics, feel, background dialogues, all the rooms you can enter, so many ways to finish the mission followed by a mad dash to the vault and then a re-make of the MW3 finale with the juggernaut suit. SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMIN'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And we haven't even gotten to the dream level, which is honestly the most creative level in Call of Duty history. It totally gave me the Jacob's Ladder vibes if you do the mission in a certain way and you get the zombie fight in the caves which is insane if you don't know it is coming! Sorry if you didn't know about it but that will stay with me for a LONG time, holy shit. And how the names change from green to red if you decide to lie is an amazing little detail. And finally you got the final mission of which the Tula is way more interesting and fun. Shooting all your "buddies" is not something you usually do, no more "friendly fire will not be tolerated" :p

Shit I dunno, maybe people just don't appreciate the time period but as someone who lives on the Eastern side of the Iron Curtain it all felt very close to heart and personal, especially butchering the people in the KGB HQ who have done my family so much harm, getting at least a digital payback was worth it.

Sybrix

I got bored with COD at MW2, i remember playing the campaign back in 2009 and stopping half way through realising ive played this before and all the subsequent CODs have all looks the same bland formula.

I have dipped into COD Warzone wish has been fun, stopped playing it a couple of weeks ago as it got boring, might dip back in if an when a new maps comes out.

Atm its really annoying me i will start shooting someone do 3 quarters of the mag then they drop me in like 2-3 bullets even though i started shooting first sometimes we both have the same guns

could this be there servers or them playing in 120fps that they see me first on there screen? As they have better fps its weird

Ogbert

Enjoying Onslaught, but they should shake up Zombies.

I'd like to see them turn it into a raid. Ten bosses. Each with a distinct loot pool. Put a low drop chance on good guns to keep people grinding.

Emedan

Haven't played a COD since MW2, thought this one looked dope. I guess not listening to you people.

Edit:
Talking Single Player mainly.

Last edited:

Texas Pride

Banned
With MW & Warzone still being really relevant they didn't need to put a COD out this year. And the pandemic would've given them the perfect excuse to skip a year but Activision and their greed is unmatched. If they'd have come out with Blackout in Cold War I'd have bought the game. They didn't so no sale from me.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The death of traditional Call of Duty at the hands of Battle Royale is the most purely good thing in 2020.

Players are finally wanting more sophistication in their games.

Nymphae

Banned
Eh, YMMV with these games obviously. I'm having no problem finding players every night in traditional modes.

I'm having a blast with this one, took several years off CoD, only trying MW last year briefly before selling it because I wasn't having a lot of fun with it.

Love the campaign and multiplayer here, everything feels great and I'm loving the new controller features with this style of game.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
The annual release model while always flawed should have ended by now. The service/platform model is the future. Regular seasonal content updates over several years of support will bring in a ton of revenue with relatively low development costs. The amount of money that ATVI spends to support multiple COD studios pumping out annual games is astounding. It is hilarious to me that this is the same company that makes Overwatch and World of Warcraft and was previously partnered with Bungie for Destiny and yet they have not considered adopting any model other than annual releases for COD.

All of that said I think COD sold just fine. I'm not a fan of Treyarch's multiplayer and I found the Beta to be a huge step backwards after MW. Population on Cold War is huge but Warzone is most people's focus right now. They'll sell a ton of copies of Cold War once those weapons get added to Warzone as people will buy the full game to level them up and unlock attachments.

All the campaign missions are incredibly varied and interesting. The Berlin metro infiltration followed by a cat and mouse chase with the Stasi is insanely well done. Just a chance to see the Berlin wall again is amazing, I have spent around quarter of hour just looking at all the intricate details, then the café scene, finding the infomant and then infiltrating the house of that Soviet spy followed by an incredible warehouse shootout, just fire! Then you got the amazing mainframe retrieval with all the ziplines, bow, stealth etc. But nothing really compares to the KGB HQ mission, which is probably my favorite mission in Call of Duty history. The music, aesthetics, feel, background dialogues, all the rooms you can enter, so many ways to finish the mission followed by a mad dash to the vault and then a re-make of the MW3 finale with the juggernaut suit. SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMIN'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And we haven't even gotten to the dream level, which is honestly the most creative level in Call of Duty history. It totally gave me the Jacob's Ladder vibes if you do the mission in a certain way and you get the zombie fight in the caves which is insane if you don't know it is coming! Sorry if you didn't know about it but that will stay with me for a LONG time, holy shit. And how the names change from green to red if you decide to lie is an amazing little detail. And finally you got the final mission of which the Tula is way more interesting and fun. Shooting all your "buddies" is not something you usually do, no more "friendly fire will not be tolerated" :p

Shit I dunno, maybe people just don't appreciate the time period but as someone who lives on the Eastern side of the Iron Curtain it all felt very close to heart and personal, especially butchering the people in the KGB HQ who have done my family so much harm, getting at least a digital payback was worth it.

This game's campaign was definitely my favorite! Though a work of fiction, it really hits you hard about what was going on back then. Quite possibly the darkest COD as well, depending on your choices.

MetalRain

I purchased it and played bunch, but I think at least right now previous CoD is a better game for multiplayer. I'm waiting that they release hardcore mode, I need that sweet and sour friendly fire.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Anectdofal of course. Cold War is currently ranked 13th on XBL most played games list. Warzone is the at the top of the mountain however. It’s ranked 1st and has tracked ahead of Fortnite for a good while now.

However, does this indicate that traditional Call of Duty is dead? For a more traditional packaged release to track that poorly is shocking honestly.

It seems that Warzone has cannibalized the playerbase.
Infinity Ward > Treyarch as of late. BLOPS4 was also underwhelming to me. I did not buy CW because I'm stuck on Warzone.

ethomaz

Banned
CoD seems more popular on PS consoles since PS4... it was more popular on 360 before that.

Last edited:

Bkdk

I wouldn’t consider it as a flop, it’s a pretty big success actually. That’s like riot releasing yearly New league of legend game with $60 price tag selling at cold war’s level while still retaining the massive player base for league of legends.

Usually publisher stop releasing new game for that IP As quickly when they have a big Regular player base on one title of that IP. Activation managed to earn money on both fronts.

It feels a little weird, even after messing with my sensitivity settings and trying to adjust shit it just feels way off. I tried it on Series X and PC

I absolutely loved the beta...but its something off with the full game, iunno how to explain it. Even the Single Player feels a little off to me

I messed with similar settings. Checking cables, tv, controllers, options, motion blur, etc. It almost reminds me of the weighty-Killzone 2 feel from back in the day. I'd almost bet there is some amount of input lag or odd technical quirk compared to 2019MW.

That being said- Campaign has been fun so far. Looks fine. Zombie mode is fun.

I feel like Call of Duty would really, really benefit from not getting a rushed dev cycle. Give them 3 years for a new title. Don't sweat if it misses a year- there's BR to keep things a float. In the off years- add a BR map and tons of crap, a couple arena maps. Have campaign DLCs to tie up old stories (Ghosts 2, Black Ops 4 campaign, have fun with it). Incorporate old maps.

I'm not fond of GaaS- but I'm less of a fan of rushed releases. Let the the teams work on something groundbreaking. Black Ops 4 missing a campaign was dumb. Cold War not being polished- that's a waste. Current work from home situation or not- never been a fan of rushing a game to meet the holiday deadline. Short term gain- I'd rather the holiday kids have something that is really memorable and knocks their socks off rather than something they'll remember for being jank.

I've been feeling like over saturation has always been a bad thing. Look at how the video game market ended up in the 80's. Release solid, quality titles. Sell your cosmetics and junk- people will buy that stuff. Don't split the user base- give your game some legs and I bet it pays off.

HTK

Banned
Multiplayer hasn't been enjoyable for 2-3 years now. Less content overall, shittier map design, gameplay flow non-existent, SBMM making games sweatier (people can't stomp others and have fun I guess) not a lot of innovations but more of the same but somehow worse in terms of the overall package.

I have 600+ hours almost in all CoDs and since Blackout Battle Royale came out I didn't bother much with the Multiplayer and this year for the first time in a long time I haven't even purchased Black Ops Cold War, I'm just having too much fun in Warzone and look forward to updates there. Honestly, I'm not even sure if I have a suggestion for these guys to breathe some life back into Multiplayer...I just don't care about it.

mcz117chief

This game's campaign was definitely my favorite! Though a work of fiction, it really hits you hard about what was going on back then. Quite possibly the darkest COD as well, depending on your choices.
It is very dark regardless of your choices, there is no happy ending. Black/illegal operations are just terrible, no heroes, just a lot of dead bodies left in the wake. Something that MW tried to show but ultimately failed.

TheKratos

I feel like crossgen CODs have always sucked. Cold War is no different. It's really nothing special.

MW wasn't great either but at least you could tell IW tried to freshen things up and then got fucked by Activision hard on for strict SBMM (probably more profitable).

BLOPS is good. Modern Warfare is just better.

Its as if Epic made fortnite, it becomes the biggest game on the planet, has a consistently huge population, but they still decide to stop supporting it the next year to make fortnite cold war, by another not as talented developer.

What a bone fucking headed decision by Activision. MW was fucking gold, and they dropped it like a hot potato cause of their yearly bullshit

Buch of gigantic morons.

Infinity Ward only had 6 6v6 maps in MW at launch. That game was even worse with the map pool, because unlike Cold War where the feeling is that most of the maps are "okay" at worst, the 6 maps MW launched with were all hot dogshit and were openly hated on. I honestly do think a lack of content is the big issue with cold war though, theres not enough guns to unlock and on top of that, I feel like I only wind up playing like 3/8 maps anyway. Although Cold War is much sloppier than MW, I still like it so much more, MW was a massive "fuck you" to veteran cod players if I've ever seen one. Awful maps, awful balancing, camping up the ass that had virtually no counterplay (which is exactly why its not "camping like the old cods", in older cods you could easily outplay a camper), etc. Modern Warfare looked and sounded gorgeous but in the end the core gameplay was a dumpster fire.

If you want to see what I mean, ask most cod pros and youtubers' opinions on Cold War versus Modern Warfare. A vast majority of them despised Modern Warfare's gameplay and admit Cold War is fundamentally much better, its just very rough around the edges. That's definitely how I feel too.

yeah no, basically I disagree with everything you said and at no point would I give a flying crap what "COD Pros" think, just LMAO at this sentiment of caring what the COD pros think, LOL, this game is casual to the max, is there even a competitive COD scene ??

Personally, I just haven’t had the time for it and I know it’ll drop in price by Xmas like MW did last year.

I’ll pick it up once I work through PS5 launch games and my PS4 backlog Id been waiting to play.

Top Bottom