• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Is Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty aiming to replace the "Can It Run" - Crysis meme?"

Spyxos

Gold Member
Cyberpunk 2077 is one of the most hardware hungry games available for the PC at the moment. It seems that Cd Project Red wants to make it even prettier and hungrier with the addon. Even without RT, you'll need a beefy PC. This reminds me of the Crysis situation.

New Specs
cyber-1686581561632.jpg

Old Specs
CP77_NG_SystemRequirements_16x9_EN_dfot1nt1oa9kjp3u.png

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Oof, those ultra settings. Can't even quite reach that with my new rig and that was NOT cheap.

Still, the main game looked fantastic on just "high" settings, so... whatever.

Mr Hyde

No issues running this at 1440p / 60. Bring it on. Been waiting for this game to near completion. Gonna be a blast.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Cyberpunk Overdrive is definitely the Crysis of the moment, a jaw droppingly beautiful game that can only run on high end PCs.

I don't game in 4K but it runs really well with a little help from DLSS on my 4070Ti.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

The new CPU requirements are insane given how easy it is to run the game now. I get above 100fps now, but if this is any accurate i wont even hit 60 after the update.
Is lovelace selling so bad nvidia needs another reason to get people to buy frame generation cards? Should i downgrade to a 4060ti to get more fps? lmao

Cyberpunk right now is very well cpu optimized, i cant imagine how big the changes will be, it sounds crazy seeing something not just require, but also properly utilize a 12900/7900x just to get to 60fps.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The new CPU requirements are insane given how easy it is to run the game now. I get above 100fps now, but if this is any accurate i wont even hit 60 now.
Is lovelace selling so bad nvidia needs another reason to get people to buy frame generation cards? Should i downgrade to a 4060ti to get more fps? lmao
Turn on raytracing and CPU is getting its ass beat (relatively speaking)

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
An RTX 3080/4070 for 4K Ultra is hardly Crysis levels, noting Crysis launched and there simply wasnt hardware in existence that could actually run it maxed out at such high resolutions.
And entry level hardware analogous to the GTX 1060 and R5 1700 would die at basically any settings.

The 12900 rec for ultra seems excessive.
Lets see if a 12400 can Ultra 1440p DLSS or is it actually time for me to replace this CPU.

//DEVIL//

Not sure what's new. That's about same specs if you want overdrive mode in the current game. Nothing below 4080.

//DEVIL//

Just look at the left side without Rt. Massive jump.
The one they had before didn't even make sense. it's misleading at its best. go ahead and try to play cyberpunk with the recommended specs they had. you wont get close to 60 fps.. lol not even close.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Did they fix the weird ghosting in rtx overdrive yet. It looked great otherwise, same with the occasional glitter effect on some characters

Alex11

LOL at that R3 3200G to R7 7800X for recommended (which is either a 7700X or 7800X3D)

I`m curious though if these updated req gonna have an effect on consoles, it is after all the same game, not a sequel.

skybaby

As long as it is due to actual great graphics rather than trash cpu optimizations like the original crysis then there's no issue.
One mod right here on gaf told me back in the 2000s that crysis was "forwards compatible" in a totally straight non-joke comment.

4070 can do 60+ fps with reshade and OD on. My 7700x can get hit hard AF tho sometimes and my GPU can get in only in the mid 90's in usage tho.

Only sometimes. That's balanced DLSS and FG. Sometimes in the mid 50's fps., most of the time 60-80.

Last edited:

Banned
Except Crysis was the best looking videogame at launch and for years after its release.

the graphics weren't the issue tho. Crysis ran badly mostly due to the CPU limitations, as Crytek slept on the multicore revolution.
you literally can't play the original Crysis at a locked 60fps on a 12th gen Core i9 or a Ryzen 7800.

the GPUs quickly catched up to Crysis, and you could max it out 2 years or so after release, even with all the future proofing the graphics had. but no matter what you do, even if you run it at low and 480p, it will never lock to 60fps in stress situations, especially the flying mission.

CamHostage

the graphics weren't the issue tho. Crysis ran badly mostly due to the CPU limitations, as Crytek slept on the multicore revolution.
you literally can't play the original Crysis at a locked 60fps on a 12th gen Core i9 or a Ryzen 7800.

I forget, did Crysis Warhead "fix" that to run better, or did the codevelopers cut stuff back so people could actually play that standalone module? Was threading not addressed until CryEngine 3 projects?

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
The high change in recommended CPU specs caught my eye.

I wonder if they are overstating CPUs (especially for 1080p High) or if the changes they are making are that drastic?

Edit: also wonder if they'll let people stay at the last old patch version before this update?

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
With insane specs like these I just don't see the point in buying PL expansion since visual and gameplay experience I'll get on my current rig will be abysmal. There's no point for me to even keep the game up to date now - already turned off auto updates to have access to the current build of the game, which outsite of memory leaks (won't be fixed ever) runs great @1440p with the mix of high and ultra settings without RT.

Banned
I forget, did Crysis Warhead "fix" that to run better, or did the codevelopers cut stuff back so people could actually play they module? Was threading not addressed until CryEngine 3 projects?

I think Warhead ran marginally better. but the real fix wasn't until Cryengine 3. but even Cryengine 3 wasn't perfect.

darrylgorn

It's very scalable.

The game looks great in a number of different modes and you can tweak it so that performance is pretty stable.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The game looks great in a number of different modes and you can tweak it so that performance is pretty stable.
That's before the upcoming update - when it'll be released, it's going to be a completely different story visually and performance-wise.
Also, the game can't look great without at least RT local shadows even now cuz all character self shadows, shadows from clothing and light sources look horrible in raster, no matter which shadow quality you're using. Needles to say that you interact with characters in this game a lot, so it's not a small thing you can ignore.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Next year I’ll likely upgrade to the 5000 series I imagine is inevitable this year or next.

I’m bummed my 3080 doesn’t get to use DLSS3 like 4000 cards do. That would allow more to enjoy this game.

RickSanchez

Gold Member
Laughs in 4090

But seriously, it's nice to have games like CP77 and Starfield that push visual boundaries and also have deep gameplay mechanics to keep you engaged. [the assumption being that CP77 gameplay is going to get better with the expansion's release]

Also hoping that Far Cry: Pandora the Avatar game and Assassin's Creed Mirage turn out to be fun to play. They already look great.

Last edited:
With a bit of tinkering I’m sure I’ll get it to run great on my 3080/12700K.

Will probably upgrade GPU next year, depending on whether or not they will have any kind of value proposition.

sertopico

They are overshooting the requirements to avoid problems in the first place. At the same time, cutting support for older HW will allow them to optimize the game better on the newer systems, since there are going to be less variables at play. I personally welcome this, it means to me they are finally getting rid of those HW constraints they've been having all these years and that they can finally push the engine and let it express its full potential.

PS: as they wrote in their message in the forum, it doesn't mean the game will stop working on older systems...

Last edited:

timothet

Uh oh, don't tell me an SSD is REQUIRED for Phantom Liberty?
Is that really a surprise? It's 2023, SSD are dirt cheap nowadays and provide great deal of improvement to various aspects of PC functionality(latency, boot times, transfer speed etc.). People are productivity-bottlenecking themselves when not using it.

Now when CDPR is not bound to old hardware anymore, they can push forward with hardware requirements. They also stated, that installing and playing 2077 on HDD will still be absolutely possible, they just won't validate/test it on HDDs from now on.

On the same note, Starfield is another new game which have SSD as a requirement.

Top Bottom