• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is DMC3 The Greatest Character Action Game ever?

This game is unarguably one of the greatest games of all time, with great music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZUN89RaP60), great bosses, a decent story, and a great rival in Vergil:

latest

This dude is maybe the best rival in all of gaming. He fights you three times across the game and always gains some new tricks, and acts as a test. You really want to beat him and you get your wish at the end.

DMC3 is amazing in controls, incredibly fun, and is challenging. I think it is the overall GOAT in action games.

HUELEN10

I would argue that in most of those points, Sonic Adventure 2 does it better; think about it.

For same style, Bayonetta's pretty hard to top though.

JayEH

Amazing game but I would put DMC4:SE (just because of the diverse cast and improved combat) and Bayo 2 in front of it.

I unapologetically proclaim it as the single best game I have ever played. Everything about it resonated so well together and it became more than the sum of its parts. Also Arkham's speech about the seven sins was delightful.

Nottle

Probably in terms of overall package it's the best, but there are things about Bayonetta, Godhand and Wonderful 101 I like more. Mainly that the platinum games are smoother and more advanced when you are playing them, and I like the style and humor more, but the rivalry and crazy weapons you get in dmc 3 as well as level design are more interesting than the other games, I just wish the dmc 4 style change was in the PS3 version of dmc3.

Hopeford

Personally I think that depends on what you value the most in a character action game. For me, ridiculous cutscenes, cheesy as fuck guitar riffs and parry spam are what matters the most so Metal Gear Rising is my favorite. It doesn't have the deepest of gameplays, but it does what I want it to do extremely well so I got no complaints.

By contrast, much as I think DMC3 is an amazing game I just don't have as much fun with it. So it's hard for me to say that a game is better or worse than another when I think that sometimes they are just trying to do different things. Feels like it's more honest for me to say, "Well, this game hits all the right notes for me--not so much this one." DMC3 is a great game though.

Bayonetta is still the gold standard really.

Even if the combat isn't as "deep", it's a whole lot more fun and smoother to control, and the non-combat sections in Bayonetta shit all over DMC3's equivalent.

DMC3 had better regular bosses, but Jeanne > Vergil

Still, DMC3 is badass, can't go wrong either way.

Robot Pants

I'm a die hard NG2 fan (it walks all over NGB, glitches, slowdown, bugs and all. come at me) but honestly, DMC3 is the greatest.

DMC3
NG2
Bayonetta

Jawmuncher

As a overall package of the genre I think so. DMC3 was the game that higher level players could really enjoy as well as more casual players thanks to it's simple but interesting story.

Most everything else being brought up in this thread is more swayed to the "The gameplay is really fun" while not thinking of the rest.

Neff

The Wonderful 101
> Bayonetta > Devil May Cry > Transformers Devastation > Devil May Cry 4 > Ninja Gaiden > Metal Gear Rising > Bayonetta 2 > Lords of Shadow > Devil May Cry 3

Famassu

Apart from the vehicle sections, I personally prefer Bayonetta, though I won't start arguing with anyone who says DMC3 is better. I feel there's a bit more room for improvization from the start in Bayonetta whereas in DMC3, you have to get past a certain skill barrier if you want to do the really impressive stuff, though after you do get past that it can be used to produce some insane results.

The Wonderful 101
> Bayonetta > Devil May Cry > Transformers Devastation > Devil May Cry 4 > Ninja Gaiden > Metal Gear Rising > Bayonetta 2 > Lords of Shadow > Devil May Cry 3
Transformer Devastation right up there. Is that consensus?

Tain

If you really like exploring the combo system to the point where that outweighs everything else, I can kinda see putting DMC3 on top. I don't think that the flexibility of a combo system is the most important thing in this genre, though, so I don't think DMC3 is the best DMC. Let alone the best of the games in the genre.

The enemies kinda blow, with all those slow and mindlessly easy statues and the eight million scythe-wielding/arrow-arching punching bags. The difficulty levels feel lazy compared to other games in the genre. SE's Hard/USA DMC3's Normal has boss battles that become boring endurance tests. At least it has some cool environments!

Robot Pants

As a overall package of the genre I think so. DMC3 was the game that higher level players could really enjoy as well as more casual players thanks to it's simple but interesting story.

Most everything else being brought up in this thread is more swayed to the "The gameplay is really fun" while not thinking of the rest.

this. DMC3 is the complete package

TWILT

Banned
Absolutely. DMC3's combat is fantastic, has a decent enough heartfelt story, some of the best boss fights ever, some great music, an amazing rival in Vergil...damn, I love this game. I've actually been replaying the game in the HD collection, and I love it so so so much still.

After that, I'd probably say it's Bayonetta 2 (not the first game though...it has some obnoxious problems which thankfully the second game mostly fixes).

Dereck

The Wonderful 101
Is the context here supposedly character action games? I'm not seeing it.

Top Bottom